• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts: PlayStation 3, Wii Shortages Will Last for Months

Allen

I’m one who agrees that anecdotal evidence is interesting but since there are numerous variables involved regarding seeing PS3’s on a store shelf that we should just wait till the NPD’s. Maybe Sony’s going above their stated intentions and over shipping? Right? :lol

With that said, I was at a Target near my parent’s house in WI and saw three unsold PS3's—no Wii’s.

Alcibiades

Nintendo is known for shipping problems.

The Wii shortage was bad as it is, now with the deman of this kind (which has never been seen before in videogames), expect shortages to last until 2008.

Cloud

neojubei said:
please do. Because I must be calling and going to the wrong stores for a ps3. I even tried looking for a DS lite and could not find one in about 5 stores. I did however see tons of xbox 360s and 4 gamecubes in one circuit city. I almost bought a gamecube, almost.

LOL YOUR WRONG. I SAW A DOZEN PS3z COLLECTING DUST IN MY AREA AROUND LA. I CAN'T TELL YOU EXACTLY WHERE I LIVE THOUGH CUZ I'M A SPY.

threeball

Banned
PC Gaijin said:
Frys here in Garland, Texas has had PS3s in stock every time I went (granted, I only went twice this month). Maybe I just got extremely lucky and went exactly as they got them in stock. Or maybe their bundling has scared any potential buyers off. I've never seen a Wii in stock anywhere.

the one in arlington off I-20 had them in stock both days I went by, 23rd and 24th

Saoh

Alcibiades said:
Nintendo is known for shipping problems.

The Wii shortage was bad as it is, now with the deman of this kind (which has never been seen before in videogames), expect shortages to last until 2008.

my fear is that they're going to recall ALL the unreleased Wii's for strap replacements :S they probably called all the ships and lakitus back already. so, we're ****ed. ****ed i said.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cloud said:
LOL YOUR WRONG. I SAW A DOZEN PS3z COLLECTING DUST IN MY AREA AROUND LA. I CAN'T TELL YOU EXACTLY WHERE I LIVE THOUGH CUZ I'M A SPY.

The last line cracked me up. :lol

Alright. Which one of you told?

Nintendo World was absolutely mobbed. There were people at the front who had clearly been there most of the night. What. The. Shit.

January, maybe? What's the release date on nem Smoove Moves?

aeolist

Banned
threeball said:
the one in arlington off I-20 had them in stock both days I went by, 23rd and 24th
Fry's is also forcing bundles with their PS3s, making you buy something like 6 games with the system. I'm not surprised they have units sitting on the shelves when they pull that kind of bullshit.

Lapsed

Banned
I avoid Gamestops like a plague, but I was forced to merrily enter them due to the superb 9.99 deal they have now on those Gamecube games (damn you GAF! You make me play less and buy more!). I know hardcore GAFfers will laugh at me, but I wanted to get the bongos and Jungle Beat deal. I also picked up Fire Emblem that the Anihawk recommended.

When I entered one gamestop, the manager (?) was on the phone saying, "I am tired of telling people I have no Wiis." When I picked up my Fire Emblem (I got Jungle Beat at another store), I noticed some PS3 boxes.

I asked, "Are those for show or do you actually have some PS3s?"

"No, we actually have some. But as far as I'm concerned, they're taking up space. I'd trade them for Wiis if I could."

Curious, I asked, "So lots of people are asking for Wiis instead of PS3s?"

"A hundred to one," he groaned. "Hell, I'd trade PS3s for DS Lites."

"You're sold out of DS Lites?"

"Yes."

I had to go back to this store half an hour later to get something else, but when I was there the second time, I heard the manager describe that he had premium PS3s on the phone and, when he put up the phone, he said, "Finally, someone calling for something I actually have!"

For those wondering if trouble makers are just making up stories of seeing PS3s on shelves, I can say, definately, there is some truth to them. These PS3s were not bundled at all. I don't expect the PS3s to stay there for long (one guy did call for one while I was there), but I expect PS3 demand to cool considerably before Wii demand does. Here's why:

PS3

-$500-$600. Only the enthusiasts would be willing to pay for that.

-But the bigger problem than price is that people will sit on their hands waiting for a price cut. Customers aren't stupid. They know the price will eventually come down.

-No killer apps except, maybe Resistance.

-The problem with Resistance is that it is a violent shooter. This is the worst 'killer app' Sony could have chosen since Xbox 360 is THE console for violent shooters. What is next, a collection of sports mini-games for the PS3 like Wii Sports?

Wii

-$250. Affordable. Still costly but seems cheaper when the competition is way more expensive.

-Killer App 1: Wii Sports. This game is selling Wiis left and right especially among casual gamers, non-gamers, and lapsed gamers. Everyone who plays Tennis (or bowling) loves it.

-Killer App 2: Zelda: Twilight Princess. This game is selling Wiis to every Nintendo fan and many core gamers. It is because of Zelda that core gamers are like, "Must get a Wii immediately, OMG!"

-Baby Killer Apps: i.e. the Virtual Console. The VC is becoming a collection of some of the greatest killer apps in console history: Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Bonk's Adventure, Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter 2, R-Type, and that is just VC's first month. If Nintendo adds in other 'killer apps' from the past such as the Mario Karts, the 16-bit RPGs, the Metroids, Super Mario World, Super Mario Brothers 2 & 3, Zelda ALTTP, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mortal Kombat, demand will just accelerate even more. Before you poo poo these baby killer apps, consider that their handheld ports have been selling GBAs. Nintendo stuffing the VC with previous killer apps from past systems and generations immediately reveals how *hungry* Nintendo is to become market leader. (Reggie revealed how Nintendo wants to get GoldenEye N64 on the VC. It makes sense since that was a N64 killer app.)

The PS3 needs more killer apps (that differentiate the system from Xbox 360 and Wii) and a price cut. I expect you will easily get a PS3 within a few months.

The Wii should be easy to get by the summer. (Unless Super Smash Brothers Brawl comes out then, then we'll have another round of shortages.) Christmas 2007 for Wii will be like DS Lite was this Christmas.

I went back to Nintendo World to pick up Superstar Saga and the Wii tryout section was mobbed. Unsurprisingly, they sold out of the Wiis they had that morning. No idea when they'll be getting more in. Hopefully in January when Smooth Moves comes out, there'll be another shipment like that to NW. I'll wait in line to play that game.

But yeah, Wiimand is critically bonkers.

Raistlin

DarienA said:
First there is a PS3 shortage, then there are PS3's languishing on shelves(GAF says so!), now there is a PS3 shortage again.

<throws hands up> I don't know what to believe!!!!!

I'm quite sure there are shortages.

The ones languishing on shelves are generally due to people simply not being aware they are available.

Srider

Banned
Where do you people live lol?

The PS3's are so much harder to find in Cali. My friends have been trying to hunt them down for days, and it's simply sold out everywhere. The Wii however, was as easy as lining up in the morning after seeing a Bestbuy ad.

Like what Onix said, you guys struck gold when you saw them sitting on the shelves, should have bought it.

Jeff-DSA

I've seen the PS3 a handful of times on shelves. I've seen them in Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, and even Gamestop had one the other day. I think people are starting to get sick of looking so feverishly or they're just paying the extra $20-30 to buy it on eBay.

I've yet to see a Wii anywhere though.

Jim

The last 2 posts pretty much summed up this thread. It's the GAF way, but there's no sense in even arguing over anecdotal evidence.

They are both in limited supply and high demand. Period. You may or may not see both on the shelf, depending on where you live, when the last shipment came in, the size of the shipment, the store you were at, the time of day, the day, and the phase of the moon and the temperature on Mars.

Amir0x

Banned
Jim said:
The last 2 posts pretty much summed up this thread. It's the GAF way, but there's no sense in even arguing over anecdotal evidence.

They are both in limited supply and high demand. Period. You may or may not see both on the shelf, depending on where you live, when the last shipment came in, the size of the shipment, the store you were at, the time of day, the day, and the phase of the moon and the temperature on Mars.

EXACTLY. Perfectly stated.

I don't know why people even try to argue with anecdotal evidence, especially to try to gauge the rarity of two super hot gaming consoles in a place as large as the whole of North America

Alcibiades

Amir0x said:
EXACTLY. Perfectly stated.

I don't know why people even try to argue with anecdotal evidence, especially to try to gauge the rarity of two super hot gaming consoles in a place as large as the whole of North America
Except people's experiences are leading them to debate the extent to which each system is "super hot".

Wii obviously is, look at Ebay prices, try to find one sitting in store shelves.

PS3 is claimed by some gamers and Sony fans to be "super hot", but most some argue it's only a matter of weeks before we see stacks of unsold PS3s on shelves, especially if Sony really ships 6 million before the end of March.

The Wii, I predict you won't find on store shelves regularly until 2008, similar to the DS situation in Japan, except on a worldwide basis.

Either way, March NPDs are going to be very interesting, because at that point it's likely Sony's shipping problems will be much better than they are now, though apparantly aren't too bad.

AniHawk

Our store gets in about 3-6 Wiis at a time (didn't ask how many there were in yesterday's shipment), and ALWAYS gets four PS3s in. A lot of people are happy to find either one. DS Lite is the new system that's leaving people frustrated because I don't think anyone expected shortages of that.

Odysseus

Banned
Alcibiades said:
The Wii, I predict you won't find on store shelves regularly until 2008, similar to the DS situation in Japan, except on a worldwide basis.

This is why you shouldn't drink and post on GAF.

2008?

Odysseus

Banned
Alcibiades said:
as many as Nintendo can ship

OK. So how many can Nintendo ship?

Keep in mind that Wii isn't exactly a complicated piece of hardware and you've said Nintendo won't be able to catch up with demand for at least a year.

400K?
500K?
Higher?

edit: US monthly NPD, of course

Amir0x

Banned
Alcibiades said:

*car crashes, nuclear bomb explodes in the distance, cartoonish honking noises, wacky music*

AniHawk

Odysseus said:

Keep in mind that Wii isn't exactly a complicated piece of hardware and you've said Nintendo won't be able to catch up with demand for at least a year.

400K?
500K?
Higher?

edit: US monthly NPD, of course

I can see the Wii selling a good 300k-400k every month of the year (excluding November/December where it will sell about 3m combined).

Alcibiades

Odysseus said:

400K?
500K?
Higher?
DS isn't exactly a complicated piece of hardware and look at where Nintendo is.

I don't know how many Nintendo can manufacture, but if there is something Nintendo if famous for, is hardware shortages even when there should be none (remember the Jan.-March shortage of GCN's after the $99 price cut). That and they ship by boat. Plus they have to stock Japan and Europe.

I don't know how many per month, a wild guess is maybe 250k ballrange perhaps?

PantherLotus said:
*whispers & unconfirmed*

The Best Buy near me will be getting 20ish (Wii) for this Sunday. It will be in the Sunday Ad.

TWENTY?!?

Okay, I can confirm then. Anyone who ever wants a Wii, plan a trip to NYC around Nintendo World's next shipment. They got at least a hundred this morning. 20 is ridiculous.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
*car crashes, nuclear bomb explodes in the distance, cartoonish honking noises, wacky music*
I know it sounds crazy, but I would have to guess that someone said something similar about the DS, with about the same kind of replys.

I am not going to scoff at anything in this buisness, as it would seem that anything is possible.

I'll talk about liklyhoods, but I wont scoff.

Is it possible that the Wii suffers severe shortages, making it's situation similar to the DS? Yes, but I would place those odds at around a 10%chance of that happening.

Only reason I go that high is becuase of the current Wii madness out there.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
I know it sounds crazy, but I would have to guess that someone said something similar about the DS, with about the same kind of replys.

It doesn't sound crazy, it is crazy. DS has no shortages in America or Europe, I can find it everywhere. Even if Wii is the same type of phenomenon in Japan as DS was (and it may well be!), to say it'll be like that for the Wii worldwide until 2008 is probably a new level of crazy.

Of course, I have underestimated just how much people hate gaming in the past.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
It doesn't sound crazy, it is crazy. DS has no shortages in America or Europe, I can find it everywhere.

Well there are definitely shortages in Southern California, I can tell you that much.

Even EBgames.com is sold out of those bundles.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
It doesn't sound crazy, it is crazy. DS has no shortages in America or Europe, I can find it everywhere. Even if Wii is the same type of phenomenon in Japan as DS was (and it may well be!), to say it'll be like that for the Wii worldwide until 2008 is probably a new level of crazy.

Of course, I have underestimated just how much people hate gaming in the past.
I'm not going to disagree. After seeing what the DS has done, I now think anything is possible.

It's bewildering how it was in a dormant state for about a years or so worldwide, but then, just shot thru the roof. I cant off the top of my head think of another gadget that became the hot item after bieng on the market for over a year.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well there are definitely shortages in Southern California, I can tell you that much.

Even EBgames.com is sold out of those bundles.

well i certainly don't want to start the same anecdotal thing as other people here, but if it's that rare I can certainly help people out (for a tidy profit)!

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
well i certainly don't want to start the same anecdotal thing as other people here, but if it's that rare I can certainly help people out (for a tidy profit)!
Check ebay. The average going price is about $150. A little higher if it's a Pink DS Lite, and that's without paying shipping (which goes as high as $20).

Alex said:
A friend of mine got killed by excess PS3 stock tumbling down at a Best Buy and crushing him.

Pfft. A european friend of mine died while trying to hide a PS3 up his butt while walking through customs- a ninja got him.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Check ebay. The average going price is about $150. A little higher if it's a Pink DS Lite, and that's without paying shipping (which goes as high as $20).

That is not a tidy profit, Anihawk! I've been bamboozled

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Pfft. A european friend of mine died while trying to hide a PS3 up his butt while walking through customs- a ninja got him.

*just imagining the shape of a PS3 + rectum*

Actually, it might be a more natural fit than I imagined.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Of course, I have underestimated just how much people love gaming in the past.

fixed.

Of course, I don't believe it will be that bad either. The sooner people can get what they want by simply walking into a store instead of having to wait in line and scourge 10 different retailers, the better.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
That is not a tidy profit, Anihawk! I've been bamboozled

Well if you were paying attention right around the 20th, and had means to buy a Pink one, you could've had about a $70 profit per unit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I went to a Gamestop today in Melbourne, FL, and on the counter I saw 2 60 giggers just sitting there. I couldn't believe it. I asked the guy, are those PS3's? And he's like, yeah, you want one? And I'm like... I dunno. I really don't have any use for it right now. And he was like, Blu Ray, you know you want it! He said he was trying to get rid of them, nobody wanted it. And at the same time, no less than 3 people came up to the counter asking for Wiis (sold out, of course)...

omg rite said:
On a related note, not sure if anyone said this yet, my EB got an email saying no DS Lites until LATE JANUARY.

HOLY CRIZZ!

I honestly got mine at Gamestop JUST IN TIME. Two weeks ago. Thank goodness.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Your story reeks of horseshit. A sorry excuse of a post to troll the PS3 and have some bs story behind it.

I'm sure everyone else could tell as well, though.

Lapsed said:
I avoid Gamestops like a plague, but I was forced to merrily enter them due to the superb 9.99 deal they have now on those Gamecube games (damn you GAF! You make me play less and buy more!). I know hardcore GAFfers will laugh at me, but I wanted to get the bongos and Jungle Beat deal. I also picked up Fire Emblem that the Anihawk recommended.

When I entered one gamestop, the manager (?) was on the phone saying, "I am tired of telling people I have no Wiis." When I picked up my Fire Emblem (I got Jungle Beat at another store), I noticed some PS3 boxes.

I asked, "Are those for show or do you actually have some PS3s?"

"No, we actually have some. But as far as I'm concerned, they're taking up space. I'd trade them for Wiis if I could."

Curious, I asked, "So lots of people are asking for Wiis instead of PS3s?"

"A hundred to one," he groaned. "Hell, I'd trade PS3s for DS Lites."

"You're sold out of DS Lites?"

"Yes."

I had to go back to this store half an hour later to get something else, but when I was there the second time, I heard the manager describe that he had premium PS3s on the phone and, when he put up the phone, he said, "Finally, someone calling for something I actually have!"

For those wondering if trouble makers are just making up stories of seeing PS3s on shelves, I can say, definately, there is some truth to them. These PS3s were not bundled at all. I don't expect the PS3s to stay there for long (one guy did call for one while I was there), but I expect PS3 demand to cool considerably before Wii demand does. Here's why:

PS3

-$500-$600. Only the enthusiasts would be willing to pay for that.

-But the bigger problem than price is that people will sit on their hands waiting for a price cut. Customers aren't stupid. They know the price will eventually come down.

-No killer apps except, maybe Resistance.

-The problem with Resistance is that it is a violent shooter. This is the worst 'killer app' Sony could have chosen since Xbox 360 is THE console for violent shooters. What is next, a collection of sports mini-games for the PS3 like Wii Sports?

Wii

-$250. Affordable. Still costly but seems cheaper when the competition is way more expensive.

-Killer App 1: Wii Sports. This game is selling Wiis left and right especially among casual gamers, non-gamers, and lapsed gamers. Everyone who plays Tennis (or bowling) loves it.

-Killer App 2: Zelda: Twilight Princess. This game is selling Wiis to every Nintendo fan and many core gamers. It is because of Zelda that core gamers are like, "Must get a Wii immediately, OMG!"

-Baby Killer Apps: i.e. the Virtual Console. The VC is becoming a collection of some of the greatest killer apps in console history: Super Mario Brothers, Mario 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Bonk's Adventure, Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter 2, R-Type, and that is just VC's first month. If Nintendo adds in other 'killer apps' from the past such as the Mario Karts, the 16-bit RPGs, the Metroids, Super Mario World, Super Mario Brothers 2 & 3, Zelda ALTTP, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mortal Kombat, demand will just accelerate even more. Before you poo poo these baby killer apps, consider that their handheld ports have been selling GBAs. Nintendo stuffing the VC with previous killer apps from past systems and generations immediately reveals how *hungry* Nintendo is to become market leader. (Reggie revealed how Nintendo wants to get GoldenEye N64 on the VC. It makes sense since that was a N64 killer app.)

The PS3 needs more killer apps (that differentiate the system from Xbox 360 and Wii) and a price cut. I expect you will easily get a PS3 within a few months.

The Wii should be easy to get by the summer. (Unless Super Smash Brothers Brawl comes out then, then we'll have another round of shortages.) Christmas 2007 for Wii will be like DS Lite was this Christmas.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pureauthor said:
I think the people claiming they've seen PS3s just sitting there need to give it a rest already.

Well I honestly did. I don't "claim" anything, it's the ****ing truth. A couple days before Christmas (Thursday I think), in the middle of Best Buy in Lee's Summit MO. A stack of about 30-50 or somewhere in between. I didn't count them. To be fair, I went back yesterday and they were all gone. It's not like they aren't selling.

While it's the truth, I'm not sitting here using it as evidence of Sony's impending doom or anything. I could care less. If I had ever mentioned it before it was probably in the "how do I find a..." thread or whatnot.

Top Bottom