• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts: PlayStation 3, Wii Shortages Will Last for Months

Well, not a smear on your credibility or something, but I just find it exceedingly difficult to believe that there are actually PS3s in stock anywhere in the world.

Okay, let's change tacks: All those claiming to have seen PS3s just sitting around need to figure out how to use a digital camera already.

Haunted

Pureauthor said:
I think the people claiming they've seen PS3s just sitting there need to give it a rest already.
But what if somebody - just imagine - really has seen some PS3s? Should he keep quiet to escape being banned, or should he fight the good fight and tell the world the horrifying truth?

I for one, am glad to escape this dilemma because I'm in ****ing EUROPE, where I won't see a PS3 on store shelves until summer. ;_;

Amir0x

Banned
Look, it's extremely likely that there are many, many people who got lucky and were at various stores when PS3s were suddenly resupplied by trucks or whatever. That is not the same as them being widely available or not supply restrained, that just means that there is always a period of time when shit is on the shelves. EVEN for Wii. You just have to be "lucky" and be at the store during those times.

But one thing is for certain: there is literally nothing achieved from telling this 'shocking' truth, so it's pretty pointless to try to use it as evidence that PS3 isn't horrifically supply restrained.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I think the people claiming they've seen PS3s just sitting there need to give it a rest already.

Do you not think it's a little telling that so many people are "claiming" this?

A lot of people also work in retail and while it's not the MAIN case, the fact is that PS3s are more easy to find than people thought they would be.

I work at an EB, and at least everywhere around here at EBs and GameStops, we get PS3s in here and there and they do kind of sit there. We DO announce that we have them multiple times, but they rarely sell out that day.

Went into Toys R Us the other night, they had 6 that hadn't been sold since the day before.

Doesn't mean PS3 is d00med. It just could mean it's too expensive right now and that the games aren't interesting enough. That could easily change.

And this doesn't mean they're widely available. But demand is simply not as high as people thought it would be.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Pureauthor said:
Well, not a smear on your credibility or something, but I just find it exceedingly difficult to believe that there are actually PS3s in stock anywhere in the world.

Okay, let's change tacks: All those claiming to have seen PS3s just sitting around need to figure out how to use a digital camera already.

Aha!

I never said they were "in stock!" :lol **** that. I said I "saw them sitting there." They are most definitely not in stock, or at least they aren't any more. However, when I saw them, it was the middle of the day (3-6pm?) and there wasn't some huge line or anything. Just a stack, like a grocery store stacks up 24-cases of Pepsi. Big fat sign on top with a [$599!]. People walking by not really noticing it.

And STILL, I won't for a moment claim my anecdotal evidence as proof of anything other than that moment. I know what I saw but I don't think my experience means a ****ing thing, especially when people try to use that shit as evidence of Sony's success or failure. That's just ignorance of what works as valid evidence.

When we start seeing (premature) price drops, that's your evidence. Until then, we can talk about this shit all day about what I saw and what you saw and what whoever else is willing to believe. Until the price drops, they pull the console from the market, or something else far more sinister, I'm not going to believe for a god-damned moment that the PS3 is a failure. That's just stupid.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Look, it's extremely likely that there are many, many people who got lucky and were at various stores when PS3s were suddenly resupplied by trucks or whatever. That is not the same as them being widely available or not supply restrained, that just means that there is always a period of time when shit is on the shelves. EVEN for Wii. You just have to be "lucky" and be at the store during those times.

But one thing is for certain: there is literally nothing achieved from telling this 'shocking' truth, so it's pretty pointless to try to use it as evidence that PS3 isn't horrifically supply restrained.

I was pretty sure that most people saying 'Sony is DOOMED!!' because of PS3s sitting on store shelves somewhere were either kidding or stupid trolls not worth the reply.

Adding to your argument: how many PS3 ebay auctions are still online/being completed? Wasn't it something like 1(2?5?) every minute last week (I forgot already). As overrun as ebay is with current-gen console auctions (PS3 and Wii), it's another factor to measure the current suppy/demand ratio with imo.

J-Rzez

Alex said:
A friend of mine got killed by excess PS3 stock tumbling down at a Best Buy and crushing him.

Yeah, the same thing happened to my good friend as well as he was walking out with a Wii and a DS, the only one of each unit that the clerk said they'd get in for the next 3 years because it's so hot...

back to the homicide, yes, Homicide! See, the store manager actually pushed the pile of PS3's over so the police would take them as evidence in the murder, so they'd have them locked up at the station... See, there's only so much space, and the PS3's have filled their whole back stockroom and they have no room left for other stuff coming in... They actually started storing some of the PS3's in the washers, dryers, wine coolers, and dish washers to make room since they're piling up because no one is just buying PS3's... at ALL!!!

I asked the clerk and he said he gets around 10,000 to 1 calls for Wii's compared to the PS3, and about 256,000 to 1 calls for the Sex in the City special collectors pack to the PS3... They have yet to sell a single PS3 since the "scalper scandle", and are fearing getting those units bought up by scalpers returned since they can't sell them on ebay for even $50... They actually rented an additional dumpster in suspense of those returns...

The clerk also stated Best Buy may in fact go under for the simple fact of the amount of money in returns, as they're expecting every single PS3 sold to be, without a doubt, returned... and Best Buy has spent their profits for the year supposedly...

Circuit City later confirmed this has happened to them already, and will be shutting their doors for good tomorrow...

GhaleonEB

PantherLotus said:
Aha!

I never said they were "in stock!" :lol **** that. I said I "saw them sitting there." They are most definitely not in stock, or at least they aren't any more. However, when I saw them, it was the middle of the day (3-6pm?) and there wasn't some huge line or anything. Just a stack, like a grocery store stacks up 24-cases of Pepsi. Big fat sign on top with a [$599!]. People walking by not really noticing it.

And STILL, I won't for a moment claim my anecdotal evidence as proof of anything other than that moment. I know what I saw but I don't think my experience means a ****ing thing, especially when people try to use that shit as evidence of Sony's success or failure. That's just ignorance of what works as valid evidence.

When we start seeing (premature) price drops, that's your evidence. Until then, we can talk about this shit all day about what I saw and what you saw and what whoever else is willing to believe. Until the price drops, they pull the console from the market, or something else far more sinister, I'm not going to believe for a god-damned moment that the PS3 is a failure. That's just stupid.

What's the definition of "is" again?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GhaleonEB said:

What's the definition of "is" again?

You mistake what I meant. I never said they weren't selling. I never said they had them longer for the moment that I was there. This idea that because somebody like myself may or may not have seen a stack of PS3s means that there are "stacks and stacks of PS3 in stock around the world" is simply false.

Apologies if my wording is unclear.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
J-Rzez said:
Yeah, the same thing happened to my good friend as well as he was walking out with a Wii and a DS, the only one of each unit that the clerk said they'd get in for the next 3 years because it's so hot...

back to the homicide, yes, Homicide! See, the store manager actually pushed the pile of PS3's over so the police would take them as evidence in the murder, so they'd have them locked up at the station... See, there's only so much space, and the PS3's have filled their whole back stockroom and they have no room left for other stuff coming in... They actually started storing some of the PS3's in the washers, dryers, wine coolers, and dish washers to make room since they're piling up because no one is just buying PS3's... at ALL!!!

I asked the clerk and he said he gets around 10,000 to 1 calls for Wii's compared to the PS3, and about 256,000 to 1 calls for the Sex in the City special collectors pack to the PS3... They have yet to sell a single PS3 since the "scalper scandle", and are fearing getting those units bought up by scalpers returned since they can't sell them on ebay for even $50... They actually rented an additional dumpster in suspense of those returns...

The clerk also stated Best Buy may in fact go under for the simple fact of the amount of money in returns, as they're expecting every single PS3 sold to be, without a doubt, returned... and Best Buy has spent their profits for the year supposedly...

Circuit City later confirmed this has happened to them already, and will be shutting their doors for good tomorrow...

:lol Very well played.

Next time one of you nay-sayers sees stacks of PS3s at a store make a count. Hang around the store until it closes and then count how many were left. Hell, maybe then some of you would have a grain of credibility in your "I SAW PS3s" posts. I know for a fact, that every morning here in NY people get to Best Buy and Circuit City an hour before opening in hopes of getting a Wii or PS3. It's been non-stop for the past 3 weeks now.

Akia

I just caught this story on digg. About a Best Buy having unsold PS3s just sitting there. Pic:

44a37kk.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
PantherLotus said:
Why is it so hard to believe?

The hard to believe part isn't that there's stacks of them there...it's the fact that people make it sound like no one is buying them. Thus, my suggestion to the next hater who sees "stacks of PS3s" is to kill an entire day with a digi-cam and count how fast the units are depleting until closing.

I guess the radical notion that Sony may actually be delivering a healthy supply of PS3s never occurred to anyone. IT MUST BE that nobody wants one! I mean, they'll be lucky to meet launch numbers the rest of the year!

My friend has bought about 6 PS3s now (3 at launch, 3 since) because he has randomly been in a store when they got a resupply (save the hate, he turns around and sells them for about 750 anyway). I was in Wal*Mart the other day and they announced over the PA system that they just received a new shipment (sounds like something there has been a lot of demand for). This was two days before Christmas. I'm sure they're still sitting there untouched and unloved!!

I disagree with this article.

I definitely haven't seen any Wiis on any shelves, but I HAVE seen some PS3s.

In fact, three or four days before Christmas, I was in Target--and it was jam packed--and I was walking around in the electronics section, looking at Wiis. And suddenly, I look at the counter--and I see a guy holding a 60 gig PS3, paying for it.

I walked around, and lo and behold--there was another PS3 behind the glass case...sitting there all lonely. I don't want a PS3, so I just walked away. But then about 10 minutes later, I realized "D'oh! I should have called my Aunt! My little cousin wanted one!"

Of course, I knew that after 10 minutes, the PS3 would be gone.

Wrong. I walked back over there, saw it sitting in the case, and so I called my Aunt. She rushed to get there--and I was sure it would be gone before she could get there--and twenty minutes later, I was standing with her at the shelf, and she was buying her PS3.

I asked the guy at the counter, and he said that they had gotten in 2 PS3s a few hours earlier, and that the two there had been sitting there for 2-3 hours before someone had bought the first one.

Very odd. Also, my older brother told me he saw about ten sitting at Best Buy.

Is it customary in America to lock up video game consoles?

I've never seen any consoles behind bars like the above picture, but it's probably because of all the news reports of people killing over the PS3s that made some Best Buys do that.

xabre

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
Another analyst's stupid predictions. When will this non-sense stop?

lol yeah.

Remember when that analcyst said the PS3 would cost an absurd amount of money to manufacture? Oh how wrong they turned out to be.

Terrell

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I guess the radical notion that Sony may actually be delivering a healthy supply of PS3s never occurred to anyone. IT MUST BE that nobody wants one! I mean, they'll be lucky to meet launch numbers the rest of the year!
Well, considering that most reports of new shipments from GAF and from retailers with big mouths indicate that Sony is only shipping 0-5 consoles per shipment... can it honestly be argued that there isn't still some supply issues? I mean, Wii shipments of between 5-20 units ain't fantastic, either, but it's not quite a trickle of supply.
I call up retailers here in Saskatoon now and then to check on Wii shipments, and out of curiosity, I ask about PS3 since I hadn't even heard any word of second shipments... and there's a bunch of retailers here that haven't received PS3s since launch, while others have gotten... 5. It might not be that Sony is unable to sell PS3s, it might be that they're sending too many to places with slower demand and shortchanging other retailers where the supply chain is being strangulated.

Man, I seem to have the worse luck. I want a PS3 but can't seem to find one, but here I am listening to people not wanting one but finding them just sitting there.

So by logic of deduction if I want a PS3, I should try to not truly want one to find one....no, wait...

Odysseus

Banned
nintendorly said:
I've never seen any consoles behind bars like the above picture, but it's probably because of all the news reports of people killing over the PS3s that made some Best Buys do that.

My local Best Buy is only just now taking 360s out of cages, and that's only because they've been moved to the door to entice folks as they walk in. I imagine that since Christmas shopping is over, they'll go right back into the cages. Heck, even the games were in cages for the longest time.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Pureauthor said:
Is it customary in America to lock up video game consoles?

(Anyway, at least there's a photograph.)
All of the Best Buys around me use cages similar to that year round. It's not just for consoles, but games and every kind of accessory. My guess is that its easier to store them on the floor than locking them up in the backroom and constantly needing to get more.

That's why NPD next month will be so interesting. Is it healthy supply or weak demand?

I think it's probably a little of both. Sony will probably hit their goals for the year and maybe surpass them even. But still... no one should expect 6 million consoles on the chart. Supply won't be THAT great. The PS3 will still place behind the 360 and probably the Wii. Even when there were suppose to be 4 million PS3's available, most people at GAF thought the PS3 would be almost impossible to find this year and that any PS3 available would be instantly snatched up ... which doesn't seem to be the case. Compared to the frenzy behind PS2, 360, and now Wii, I think the PS3 situation is a little bit surprising.

I've had my fourth chance to buy a PS3 today. At about 10 this morning at Target. It was gone shortly after that. Every time the system was sold out in a few hours.

I've yet to see a Wii. A friend of mine stumbled across a Walmart that was opening up a shipment of Wii's at about 1:00 AM. He bought one for a friend but now that he's looking for one for himself he hasn't been able to find any since.

I personally don't think Nintendo has shipped that many systems. There is no way they'll hit that 2 million mark that they were claiming before. Until I see some actual numbers, I'd say they were lucky to have had ship 750K for December.

threeball

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Question: Why the only people who constantly see unsold PS3s are nintendo and xbox fans?

I don't care if people believe me or not. I know that I am right though. I don't have a digital camera that works right now, nor will I any time soon. Too much money and I don't need one at the moment. But there has been a van outside of Fry's Electronics in Arlington, Texas, right in the smack-dab middle of the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the United States of 5.5 or so million people, that has "PS3 60GB IN STOCK" written on the windows and has been there for a week. They still have not sold out of that shipment. I don't know how big the shipment was, but the demand isn't there for it at Fry's in Arlington. Maybe Fry's just isn't a popular store for people who want a PS3, as it is sold out at Gamestop in Parks Mall and Northeast Mall, as well as Wal-Mart in Arlington and Colleyville. But this Fry's does have them in stock. Go see for yourself.

xaosslug

i haven't seen any at my regular haunts, but then again, I don't plan to buy one for a while and haven't exactly been keeping up on the "PS3 stock situation" just for kicks. :lol

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
fortified_concept said:
Question: Why the only people who constantly see unsold PS3s are nintendo and xbox fans?
Obviously because only Nintendo and Xbox fans still exsist these days. Why do you think there are all these piles of PS3s just collecting dust in the first place? Geesh!

GhaleonEB

I have not seen any PS3s in stores, ever.

I also had knee surgery a month ago and have not been to a store since it came out.

Hmmm.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i called my local best buy and they said PS3 is doomed so they're just storing the ps3s in stacks and not selling them to anyone.

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I have not seen any PS3s in stores, ever.

I also had knee surgery a month ago and have not been to a store since it came out.

Hmmm.

So for all you know, your local Best Buy has 1000 PS3s just sitting there, and have had them all month long. Doomed!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
fortified_concept said:
It's probably because you are over-generalizing people's opinions and stances into only two camps.

It's also probably because those non-"nintendo and xbox fan" can't defend Sony by admitting that they've seen PS3's in-stock too, so they just remain silent. They may also be the people who are crediting these sightings as signs of strong supply.

Branduil

threeball said:
I don't care if people believe me or not. I know that I am right though. I don't have a digital camera that works right now, nor will I any time soon. Too much money and I don't need one at the moment. But there has been a van outside of Fry's Electronics in Arlington, Texas, right in the smack-dab middle of the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the United States of 5.5 or so million people, that has "PS3 60GB IN STOCK" written on the windows and has been there for a week. They still have not sold out of that shipment. I don't know how big the shipment was, but the demand isn't there for it at Fry's in Arlington. Maybe Fry's just isn't a popular store for people who want a PS3, as it is sold out at Gamestop in Parks Mall and Northeast Mall, as well as Wal-Mart in Arlington and Colleyville. But this Fry's does have them in stock. Go see for yourself.

Hey I was at that Fry's today. Now that I think about it, I did see a sign advertising that they had PS3s, though only in some insane bundle for $900.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Branduil said:
Hey I was at that Fry's today. Now that I think about it, I did see a sign advertising that they had PS3s, though only in some insane bundle for $900.

ah-HA!!!

Lapsed

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Your story reeks of horseshit. A sorry excuse of a post to troll the PS3 and have some bs story behind it.

I'm sure everyone else could tell as well, though.

If I was going to troll, why would I include that someone called for one over the phone? A troll would decide not to include that information. I was also there shortly after the store opened which probably improved my odds of seeing PS3s if they just recieved a shipment.

The PS3 costs $600 freaking dollars. Considering its current small software library and price, I would say sales are 'great' since they still seem brisk. Depending on what killer apps appear in PS3's library will determine whether the PS3 is "PS2 Part 2" or "PSP Part 2".

The store I was at was in Copperfield, Houston TX.

xabre said:
lol yeah.

Remember when that analcyst said the PS3 would cost an absurd amount of money to manufacture? Oh how wrong they turned out to be.

Merrill Lynch was the one that predicted that (I'm aware they gave 3 analysis reports). In the second one, they predicted that the Wii would retail for $200 (nope!) and that Xbox 360 would have the most in worldwide (!) sales.

The Wii analysis was seen as common wisdom then but that 360 analysis seems way off the reservation. I'm collecting these previous analysts' predictions so we can have fun with them later. ;)

Amir0x said:

It's ground zero observations at retail. The reason why we are hearing lots of reports of seeing PS3s in the wild is because the Internet has hyped the system's availability like that of the Loch Ness Monster. And, like Nessy, people demand we take photos of this "strange phenomenon". Taking photos of a games console in retail? That is silly. What is next, video footage of seeing boxes sit there? (I'd rather see footage of the mobs than boxes).

Amir0x

Banned
Lapsed said:
It's ground zero observations at retail. The reason why we are hearing lots of reports of seeing PS3s in the wild is because the Internet has hyped the system's availability like that of the Loch Ness Monster. And, like Nessy, people demand we take photos of this "strange phenomenon". Taking photos of a games console in retail? That is silly. What is next, video footage of seeing boxes sit there? (I'd rather see footage of the mobs than boxes).

Listen, Lapsed, I don't think you understood my point. The "ground zero observations" do nothing, specifically when they contradict far larger samples and specifically when they come from... excuse my fairly blunt and obvious observation... grade-A Wiitards and xbots.

So those born and raised among that breed may claim what sights they like, the reality is it doesn't matter what is said since PS3 is factually supply restrained. The difference between selling out in 10 minutes or 10 hours, granted, is large enough to question things all you like. I personally think PS3 is gonna be one big failure. But if the goal is to determine something relevant about the demand across North America via these 'ground zero observations' then it is pointless. Because one the sample is horribly polluted by various aspects, and two it's simply not near a large enough sample to extract useful data.

Anyway I'm not trying to get you to take photos, and I'm not calling you a liar. Or anyone a liar. It's no surprise to me at all people see these systems on shelves from time to time, just the nature of shipments. I'm just saying it's pointless to have these discussions wherein people - most specifically those from opposing camps - come in and claim that they've seen X system in huge numbers and "what does that mean". People did this for 360 too (mostly Sonybots then), and that shit was cold stone sold out for months by the vast majority of sources. It's anecdotal, and it's useless.

J-Rzez

fortified_concept said:

I dunno... guess they have all the luck, because my friend's that want to grab a PS3, and seemingly many others on here look everyday for them in their towns, and a neighboring cities, and can't find a single one... My GS manager says there's people calling or hanging out everyday around the UPS shipment time trying to get one...

But yeah, those other fans are soooooo lucky it seems, it's like an omen to see them where ever they go that they should grab one... and to see piles upon piles of them at that...

J-Rzez said:
I dunno... guess they have all the luck, because my friend's that want to grab a PS3, and seemingly many others on here look everyday for them in their towns, and a neighboring cities, and can't find a single one... My GS manager says there's people calling or hanging out everyday around the UPS shipment time trying to get one...

But yeah, those other fans are soooooo lucky it seems, it's like an omen to see them where ever they go that they should grab one... and to see piles upon piles of them at that...

Ugh, you all end up looking like you're generalizing far too much, on both sides. "Piles upon piles"... No one has implied anything even CLOSE to that so as to engender anything close to that level of hyperbolic exaggeration.

And of course, instead of coherently discussing the situation, the most frequently discssed topic? The Evil Secret Mission Of The "Xbots". I don't think I've seen the word used in any sentence with a sensible point of view or argument. Ever.

How is claiming that PS3's are available in any way detrimental to the ultimate actual success of the PS3? Is someone going to read these descriptions of 10 PS3s in a case at Target by a BIG MEANIE XBOT and say "Oh, they're available? **** that. I'll never buy one now. Wipeout's not worth me going to a store and casually picking one up."

Do some of you really believe that could happen? Ever? There's all these claims of FUD. Who are they instilling it in? Who reading this forum would have their desire for a PS3 swayed by descriptions of available PS3s?

JJConrad said:
It's probably because you are over-generalizing people's opinions and stances into only two camps.

It's also probably because those non-"nintendo and xbox fan" can't defend Sony by admitting that they've seen PS3's in-stock too, so they just remain silent. They may also be the people who are crediting these sightings as signs of strong supply.

Good post. Though Ps3 is definitely selling out at most major retailers, the NPD numbers next month will show that it is no where near the level of success that Sony is expecting. The demand is simply not there, and it won't pick up for at least another 6 months - 1 year.

mentalfloss said:
Good post. Though Ps3 is definitely selling out at most major retailers, the NPD numbers next month will show that it is no where near the level of success that Sony is expecting. The demand is simply not there, and it won't pick up for at least another 6 months - 1 year.

Not quite sure I understand. You think that NPD's numbers will show that the PS3 is not a success? When the number will basically reflect what retailers received? That is, this Saturday the 30th, NPD's month will end.

Are you under the belief that there will be a huge glut of inventory this Saturday or will you begrudingly agree that 99.99999% of units they shipped out were sold and thus the reported number will only tell us what retailers received?

As has been stated hundreds of times, NPD will tell us nothing about demand at this point.

J-Rzez

BenjaminBirdie said:
Ugh, you all end up looking like you're generalizing far too much, on both sides. "Piles upon piles"... No one has implied anything even CLOSE to that so as to engender anything close to that level of hyperbolic exaggeration.

And of course, instead of coherently discussing the situation, the most frequently discssed topic? The Evil Secret Mission Of The "Xbots". I don't think I've seen the word used in any sentence with a sensible point of view or argument. Ever.

How is claiming that PS3's are available in any way detrimental to the ultimate actual success of the PS3? Is someone going to read these descriptions of 10 PS3s in a case at Target by a BIG MEANIE XBOT and say "Oh, they're available? **** that. I'll never buy one now. Wipeout's not worth me going to a store and casually picking one up."

Do some of you really believe that could happen? Ever? There's all these claims of FUD. Who are they instilling it in? Who reading this forum would have their desire for a PS3 swayed by descriptions of available PS3s?

It's been said in so many other stupid threads, with the usuals claiming to see PS3's collecting dust on store shelves everywhere they go to show that nobody is buying PS3's, not want them at all, and that Sony is doomed... hell, there was another thread put up right around this one about "what does this mean" for Sony... You can tell people are trying to rile up others, not one doubt about it...

But, to them, not seeing any Wii's doesn't mean that there just might not be enough shipments of them, but rather large shipments sell out within seconds of their arrival...

It's just nonsense really, usually I don't care about this trivial nonsense, but it's getting annoying so much seeing these comments that to pass the time you might as well make some humor appear...

Top Bottom