• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysts: PlayStation 3, Wii Shortages Will Last for Months

Pureauthor said:
Is it customary in America to lock up video game consoles?

(Anyway, at least there's a photograph.)

I had a used PS2 snatched out of my hands back when I worked at Gamestop :lol

(and yes, at gamestop we either kept systems locked behind a glass case, or in a back room)

J-Rzez said:
It's been said in so many other stupid threads, with the usuals claiming to see PS3's collecting dust on store shelves everywhere they go to show that nobody is buying PS3's, not want them at all, and that Sony is doomed... hell, there was another thread put up right around this one about "what does this mean" for Sony... You can tell people are trying to rile up others, not one doubt about it...

But, to them, not seeing any Wii's doesn't mean that there just might not be enough shipments of them, but rather large shipments sell out within seconds of their arrival...

It's just nonsense really, usually I don't care about this trivial nonsense, but it's getting annoying so much seeing these comments that to pass the time you might as well make some humor appear...

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with that post.

And noone is generalizing btw. Every single one of the people who are "reporting" about PS3s "collecting dust" are either the usual suspects we know and dislike or random xbox and nintendo fans.

fortified_concept said:

And noone is generalizing btw. Every single one of the people who are "reporting" about PS3s "collecting dust" are either the usual suspects we know and dislike or random xbox and nintendo fans.

Oh, fortified_concept. I'm so glad I haven't seen a PS3 in the wild. I could have Brian Williams report it to you directly on the Nightly News, with live footage of me holding my birth certificate next to the three or four PS3s I'd seen at some Gamestop, and you'd still accuse me of being an Xbot, being an Oan spy, or both in the same sentence.

KINGMOKU

fortified_concept said:

What a load. Your saying that every single person who has stated that they have seen PS3's in the wild, are either disliked here at GAF, or they have to be rabid Nintendo/Xbox fanboys.

Perhaps its contributing to a conversation, or even telling people what they saw period.

It would seem that what we really have going on here is that innocent commets are bieng made about the availability abof the PS3 from those who thought they could contribute to the conversation, and certain members are on the defensive, and see an attack in anything.

I could see your argument about fanboys, and pass it off as just bieng extreme, but throwing in the "dislike" comment just shows rabid fanboyism on your part.

Pot calling the PS3 black?

Tieno

fortified_concept said:

Then back it up, and name every single one of them. Don't just make wild statements.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
Anyway I'm not trying to get you to take photos, and I'm not calling you a liar. Or anyone a liar. It's no surprise to me at all people see these systems on shelves from time to time, just the nature of shipments. I'm just saying it's pointless to have these discussions wherein people - most specifically those from opposing camps - come in and claim that they've seen X system in huge numbers and "what does that mean". People did this for 360 too (mostly Sonybots then), and that shit was cold stone sold out for months by the vast majority of sources. It's anecdotal, and it's useless.

Anecdotal evidence isn't entirely useless if taken into context of what is being discussed. There's always the temptation of course to dismiss anecdotal information that causes cognitive dissonance, as on a psychological level its easier to dismiss what may appear to be a negative piece of information than to take it into advisement.

I haven't seen a PS3 sitting in stores myself and I agree a lot of the anecdotal information may be biased, but a lot of on the ground reports to tend to indicate supply is up, but there is SOME evidence demand isn't catching up to it. This could simply be a flaw in the way information is being conveyed in the market to consumers, or many consumers have simply given up for now which is ultimately not a bad thing for Sony if they come back in 2007 (this is a point I've made earlier).

But the point remains that there's these news, and we have Ebay, which for better or worse, is an indicator of market demand telling us how demand side PS3 hasn't seem to be very responsive to an uptick in supply and restocks are taking a long time to sell out. So yeah, sales are brisk, but the speed of sell outs does tell us about demand as well. If you are focused on December NPDs and or are worried about PS3's performance it can be spun as good news or bad news, but burying these facts in a verbal diarrhea of indignance over factional taunts and doomsaying which you yourself participate it when you feel like it, just smacks of hypocrisy.

The December and January numbers will give us the best picture. How about we wait for that before we have meltdowns.

Norse

i bought my ps3 today. The gamestop guy said they had 4 units since tuesday. The store is the roseville, MN store in the rosemont commons shpping mall. Give them a call.

Outside of this one time, most often I have seen 3 or so ps3's while at target or bestbuy. Both times it was within 2 hrs of the store opening and the system didnt last long. So, seeing them in the wild is one thing...saying they are collecting dust seems to be tacked on by those sony fans insulted that we actually have seen a ps3 in stores.

Rememebr that there will be a min of 25 60 gig ps3's per best buy store this sunday. Tickets will be handed out 1 hr before opening. Hurry, we wouldnt want any dust to collect on these nice new boxes. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
If you are focused on December NPDs and or are worried about PS3's performance it can be spun as good news or bad news, but burying these facts in a verbal diarrhea of indignance over factional taunts and doomsaying which you yourself participate it when you feel like it, just smacks of hypocrisy.

I'm not worried about its performance at all. It will sell what it ships in December. PS3's impending doom will be determined once holiday season is over, and little fantards the world round settle into their homes and stop trying so hard.

The only thing I am saying is it's pointless to use anecdotal evidence to try to make a statement one way or the other about demand, and that's independent of any doomsaying.

Deku said:
The December and January numbers will give us the best picture. How about we wait for that before we have meltdowns.

So in conclusion, just like I said, there's no use in any of this posturing until we get numbers. Thus, anecdotal evidence is pointless and leads to nothing. EVEN in the context of the discussion. So, if you're looking for a meltdown, you're probably better off trying to find someone who doesn't think PS3 is doomed.

herod

In the UK, most stores will keep stock on the floor even if it's spoken for with pre-orders. I'd expect to see systems lying around behind counters because they're already taken and are just awaiting collection.

I am indeed a big Nintedno fan. I like my X360, but I wouldn't call myself a XBOX fan.

And yes, I do hate Sony--but for different reasons than the fact that I'm a Nintendo fan.

Even so, I'm not lying at all when I say my Target had PS3s sitting around for two hours unsold.

Log4Girlz

I wish my gf had a camera, but our local best buy had a stack of ps3's...but the kicker was that lines were set up for the unit, and no one was in them lol.

THIS MEANS NOTHING

LJ11

Log4Girlz said:
I wish my gf had a camera, but our local best buy had a stack of ps3's...but the kicker was that lines were set up for the unit, and no one was in them lol.

THIS MEANS NOTHING

Did you at least count the number of units? Where are you located? Please say NYC.

RegularMK

I was just told by the manager of my local gamestop that they wouldn't receive a shipment of Wiis until "mid-january".

CoolTrick

Banned
I know I know I know how this forum (or at least the mods) feel about anecdotal evidence...

But I was at Target today. Picked up Final Fantasy III. I remembered this thread and decided to ask the clerk...

"Do you have any PS3s?"

He said they did, the 60 gig version.

Later I asked if they had any Wiis (I already have one), and they said they didn't. They received a new shipment in yesterday but sold out.

This was in Charleston.

Mrbob

CoolTrick said:
I know I know I know how this forum (or at least the mods) feel about anecdotal evidence...

But I was at Target today. Picked up Final Fantasy III. I remembered this thread and decided to ask the clerk...

"Do you have any PS3s?"

He said they did, the 60 gig version.

Later I asked if they had any Wiis (I already have one), and they said they didn't. They received a new shipment in yesterday but sold out.

This was in Charleston.

It is hard to sell something when it isn't on the floor. Target stores have lock cases. The systems should be in there.

Dalthien

There was a huge line at my local Best Buy this morning (Friday Dec 29/06) for the Wii. The story was all over the local news at 5:30AM this morning, with 45 people already waiting in line with tents and everything. The newscasters interviewed several people in the line and it was a great promotional piece for Nintendo.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm surprised that the Wii still has so much buzz that it is still causing people to wait overnight for it several days after Christmas. I thought that Christmas would be the end of the lines for each new shipment since no one needs to give gifts any longer. It is starting to look as though the Wii will still carry much of its buzz into the first couple months of 2007 at the least.

Well here's my report on the situation. I've seen two 60GB PS3s in the wild, at Best Buy and K-mart respectively, and one 20GB PS3 in the wild at Target. All three were on the shelf, ready to be sold to any passerbyer. I have not yet seen a Wii anywhere.

Going on a complete hunch this is what I personally make of it. The Wii has a high demand, but I'm betting Nintendo didn't meet the shipment numbers they wanted. Places like Target and Walmart around here were getting a pathetic amount of Wii's in while Best Buy was the only store with a regular shipment (they had 12 each sunday, which still seems pretty low, to me anyways...). So my verdict on Wii is that it's popular, but just how popular is yet to be seen because I think supply has been an issue.

As for PS3, it's rare to see a console this close to a systems launch readily available for purchase. I'd expect there could be a variety of reasons though, and first and foremost I point to the price. Whether or not the PS3 is a "good deal" for what's in the box, it's still a shit ton of money for most consumers. I don't think people are willing to shell out 500-600 dollars for a console simply because it's there, on the shelf, waiting to be sold. I personally plan to get a PS3 for FFXIII alone, but like a lot of other consumers, plan on waiting til the damn thing is cheaper. I have next to no interest in blue ray, and don't even foresee myself with an HDTV for at least two more years. Besides price, the PS3 is getting a lot of bad press from mainstream media, and ebay prices are down, so scalpers would have no interest in it anymore.

Of course, this could mean that Sony shipped a lot more than we expect, but my hunch says they didn't.

Yamauchi

Banned
Just got back from Best Buy. There was a stack of 20 60GB PS3s. I talked to one of the clerks. He said the PS3 hasn't been selling for the last week. He said there was a long line for the Wii for their last shipment (I suppose the 29th).

Sony must be outshipping Nintendo 3-to-1 at this point.

Liquid

Banned
Yamauchi said:
Just got back from Best Buy. There was a stack of 20 60GB PS3s. I talked to one of the clerks. He said the PS3 hasn't been selling for the last week. He said there was a long line for the Wii for their last shipment (I suppose the 29th).

HAY GUYZ WHATS GOING ON IN THIS POAST? :D

Yamauchi said:

what...? huh Sony outshipping?

Alcibiades

Mrbob said:
That's because Nintendo isn't shipping as many as planned at the moment.
Do we have confirmed shipment numbers from Nintendo?

Seems they still shipped more than Sony since they launched...

So I hit my Best But at lunchtime and saw that they had 12 or so of their Sunday shipment of 60 on a display near the security guy at the front of the store. ...which was painful as I left my BB gift cards at home.

Hopefully they are there tomorrow.

Shiggy

Mrbob said:
That's because Nintendo isn't shipping as many as planned at the moment.

Didn't they reach their 4 mio shipping goal? In Japan they shipped one mio, in urope they wanted to ship one million, but we don't have numbers. In NA they should've been able to ship 2 mio.

goldenpp72

If it helps, ive never seen a ps3 or wii on store shelves, and in the past week ive been in arizona, california, mass and michigan.

i think some fanboys need to realize maybe nintendo isnt exactly shipping as much as they should. and not because of some insanely high demand.
it is understandable, they to ship in asia, europe and US, and there is still high demand in all these territories so maybe they struggling a bit to meet demand

Alcibiades

cank stoochie said:
i think some fanboys need to realize maybe nintendo isnt exactly shipping as much as they should. and not because of some insanely high demand.
it is understandable, they to ship in asia, europe and US, and there is still high demand in all these territories so maybe they struggling a bit to meet demand
they are struggling to meet demand, but even if they got 4 million into the US alone they would be facing shipping problems...

the demand is much larger than 6 million worldwide at the current pricepoint (they'll ship that many by the end of March hopefully)...

Fireblend

Banned
Damn I want a Wii and I have yet to find one, since I live in Costa Rica and my only way to get one is to find someone coming to Costa Rica soon and bringing me one. I have a couple of relatives coming from there, but it's so damn impossible to find one @_@

Why is there no Wii availability thread? D:

Hero

Just something for thought:

Wii's on eBay are going for close to 400 dollars still, even though it's after Christmas.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just went to EB to pick up some shitty items. Aside from the place looking like a bomb hit it, someone was buying their last PS3.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Alcibiades said:
they are struggling to meet demand, but even if they got 4 million into the US alone they would be facing shipping problems...

:lol OK.

Anyway, no luck finding a Wii here in NYC.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hero said:
Just something for thought:

Wii's on eBay are going for close to 400 dollars still, even though it's after Christmas.

Waaaaay fewer Wiis were also listed to begin with.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I love how people are trying to down play the demand for the Wii...:D

People still can't accept that old tech might be in demand tech!:lol

Nintendo might have undershipped (I personally doubt it)...even so I highly doubt it's by some enormous quantity...I think their well over 3.5m shipped by now WW...and for less then 2 months since launch that's tremendous figure...MS and Sony could only wish to have such a launch shipment in less then 2 months WW.

Personally and this is from my own personal experience since the Wii launched...it's truly penetrated the mainstream consumer and has managed to get every buzz possible from the media to the casual on the street...everyone is buzzing about the Wii...

Krowley

I thought nintendo probably undershipped in december, but all the recent estimates seem to indicate that they didn't and that's pretty shocking.

I also thought sony probably shipped way more than expected, but that appears to be false as well..

at least according to the info in this thread

Obviously, Those estimates are for both NOV and DEC.. And I guess it just depends on how accurate those estimates are but it would put nintendo at over 1 million wii's in NA this month. That's pretty impressive when you consider that people are apparently still lining up. The ps3 numbers are just the opposite.

NPD will resolve everything i guess.

Terrell

Krowley said:
I thought nintendo probably undershipped in december, but all the recent estimates seem to indicate that they didn't and that's pretty shocking.

I also thought sony probably shipped way more than expected, but that appears to be false as well..

at least according to the info in this thread

Obviously, Those estimates are for both NOV and DEC.. And I guess it just depends on how accurate those estimates are but it would put nintendo at over 1 million wii's in NA this month. That's pretty impressive when you consider that people are apparently still lining up. The ps3 numbers are just the opposite.

NPD will resolve everything i guess.
Yeah, I've heard people throwing up their arms that Nintendo undershipped their console, but the actual published sales numbers we have already seem to greatly contradict this idea.

North America - close to 2 million (according to CNBC report, to be validated later by NPD numbers)
Japan - 800,000+ (1 million in year-end sales being a strong likelihood)
Europe - 325,000+ (couldn't find more than Euro launch numbers, but that's two days of sales, so...)

So yeah, they have sold 3 million AT LEAST, putting them within reach of that 4 million estimate they released, and putting them easily within reach of their "6 million by March" goal....

... but yeah, they somehow undershipped when they're meeting all their sales goals.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
NeoForte swung by the Best Buy in Hialeah (Miami, FL) and saw ~14 PS3s sitting on the store shelves. I asked him to upload the cam pic he took to this thread.

I managed to see a few PS3s and Wiis earlier today in Brandon, FL among the local stores (Best Buy, EB, Target).

AniHawk

Somebody returned a PS3 to the store a couple days ago (apparently right about when the store opened). Dunno if it was a gift somebody else had already got, a burned scalper, or whatever. It's first-come, first-serve for the thing, and we're getting a lot of traffic. When the ASM comes in, they decide to put a sign on it that says "$599.99 Last one! Buy me!" and it sits there for the next three hours until I come in. A woman calls for it, and she knows she may not get it because it's first-come, first-serve. There's another guy in the store asking if we had it in stock. I told him we did... and an hour after the lady calls, she finally comes in to buy it.

Odysseus

Banned
i went to circuit city today looking for a dvd

saw four wii boxes, four ps3 boxes, and two 360 boxes

and they were all empty

what does it all mean?

AniHawk

Odysseus said:
i went to circuit city today looking for a dvd

saw four wii boxes, four ps3 boxes, and two 360 boxes

and they were all empty

what does it all mean?

God is teasing you. Just like how he teased Moses in the desert.

Top Bottom