• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANCEL STILL CRYING Rayman Origins $19.99 at Toys R Us #bomba

Rayman_1_image_13.jpg

I've searched but come up empty. How would I quote the above abomination but have it display in a more eye pleasing fashion--as in, 1/10th of that size?

Is there some fancy forum code for the size you display a linked image at? Tried some HTMLesque formatting but got no love...

PokéKong

I wouldn't go trying to press this game on every single passing human being, it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea and then you just get a bunch of undeserving backlash. But anyone who has derived the least bit of enjoyment out of the console 2D platformers from Nintendo in the past few years should definitely purchase this game, preferably at the highest price it is available.

Maffis

You don't even have to fucking play as Rayman, so that argument is incredible stupid.

If you pass on this game then you better fucking pass on every 2d platformer game that will come out in the future, because this game is as good as it gets.

Elginer

Bought and it 20 bucks that's a damn good deal. I guess this means we will never see a Beyond Good and Evil 2 right?

:(

yurinka

I will consider it when under $15, because there are better platformers in digital platforms for this price. At least from what I saw in the demo.

I've searched but come up empty. How would I quote the above abomination but have it display in a more eye pleasing fashion--as in, 1/10th of that size?

Is there some fancy forum code for the size you display a linked image at? Tried some HTMLesque formatting but got no love...
No you would have to resize it yourself.

DR2K

Banned
I'd buy it now if it weren't for the fact that I know I'll be picking it up for $5 in a few weeks at this rate.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Dang, I don't have enough Amazon credit left for their current $30 price point, but if they match this TRU price, I'm in!
Amazon doesn't prince match, with the exception of televisions.

With the exception of TVs, Amazon.com doesn't price-match with other retailers (including those who sell their items on our website)

Edit: If I had the extra money, I'd be at TRU for this. Almost picked it up when Gamestop had it for $30.

Chaplain

I will consider it when under $15, because there are better platformers in digital platforms for this price. At least from what I saw in the demo.
I thought the same thing after playing the demo. The demo does a horrible job of showing off the brillance of the game.

MrDaravon

Amazon doesn't prince match, with the exception of televisions.

Edit: If I had the extra money, I'd be at TRU for this. Almost picked it up when Gamestop had it for $30.

You can submit items for price matching on Amazon, and people (see CAG) have frequently gotten Amazon to price match sales on games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Which ones? The only one I can think of that comes close is Super Meat Boy, but obviously there is a huge different between the two when it comes to production values and scale.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you pass on this game then you better fucking pass on every 2d platformer game that will come out in the future, because this game is as good as it gets.
Owlboy looks better.

Sora_N

I bought for $30 for gf for Christmas, she loves it. No regret, and I doubt Canada will drop to $20 that soon anyways.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this up today. Going to Toys'r'us was like going to a fucking third world country. When did that store become so trashy? It's a shame because it seemed so awesome when I was younger.

I played through the first world and absolutely love this game. It's such old school goodness with some of the most beautiful graphics I have ever seen! Love it.

If I hadn't just spent $150 on a PSP + Memory Stick I'd probably be all over this deal, but I don't really feel like spending more money on games that'll probably collect dust until I'm finished with my PSP games.

Hopefully they'll release a Steam version by then.

TTG

Didn't know this was even available of the ps3. I'm picking this up ASAP
through gamefly.

Alx

I thought the same thing after playing the demo. The demo does a horrible job of showing off the brillance of the game.

That's true, but I think the problem is that a big part of the brilliance of the game comes from the creativity of the levels, and how the creators can throw at you new ideas and clever level designs. I remember that what enjoyed most was the feeling of always facing something new or unexpected, like
the small bullet hell sections on mosquito back, the "pitch black" like monsters that kill you if you're out of the light, the venomous algae that you had to avoid or retract, the levels above a travelling worm...

I don't think it's something that you can showcase in a demo, unless you put the whole game in it.

I platinumed this game. It was my GAF GotY choice for 2011. I will rebuy on Vita for FULL PRICE on launch. I will platinum the game on Vita again. Ancel can have my money. I can have my wonderful time.

Hope that stops some of your tears Michel.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BRZ9G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

NSMBWii is still over 40bucks and 20+ million copies were sold.

I got Rayman at 60 and had a couple of people here that love Mario Platformers - and nobody liked Rayman.

'I don't know what's going on!' to 'this game is playing itself' were comments I always heard.
I don't think the poor sales have anything to do with it being a 2d Platformer, they have everything to do with how much people enjoy the game.

Alx

I can understand people liking Mario and disliking Rayman, since the games are very different. But "game playing itself" ? That makes absolutely no sense, maybe they're just recycling the old argument against Sonic games... or they just don't want to like the game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
'I don't know what's going on!' to 'this game is playing itself' were comments I always heard.
I don't think the poor sales have anything to do with it being a 2d Platformer, they have everything to do with how much people enjoy the game.

How can people know how much they'll enjoy the game if they don't play it? It sold badly because people didn't want to buy it, not because they bought it and didn't like it. It was a colourful $60 2D platformer released at retail during CoD/Battlefield/Skyrim season. That's why people didn't buy it.

How can people know how much they'll enjoy the game if they don't play it? It sold badly because people didn't want to buy it, not because they bought it and didn't like it. It was a colourful $60 2D platformer released at retail during CoD/Battlefield/Skyrim season. That's why people didn't buy it.

It's all about word of mouth. New Super Mario Bros Wii was a full price title released during Christmas and it sold phenomenally.

daffy

Banned

It also had a hard demo. Thats a big complaint I heard.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can understand people liking Mario and disliking Rayman, since the games are very different. But "game playing itself" ? That makes absolutely no sense, maybe they're just recycling the old argument against Sonic games... or they just don't want to like the game.
"Game playing itself" is most certainly not something I'd think of when I think of Rayman Origins at all either.

Hearing that is quite surprising since it makes absolutely no sense within the game's context. Pretty much all of the cause and effect is based on what the player does, outside of falling platforms or fixed-scrolling levels.

Ushojax said:
It was a colourful $60 2D platformer released at retail during CoD/Battlefield/Skyrim season. That's why people didn't buy it.
Not to mention that Ubi thought it was a good idea to release it the same day as Assassin's Creed: Revelations as well.

Oh my God. What the fuck am I reading. These things were actually said by people? Was it considered a bannable offense?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So did Super Meat Boy. Sold a million copies.

Super Meat Boy is a $15 downloadable game. It would never have sold those numbers as a full-price retail title, because it isn't a Nintendo platformer.

I don't want to sound like an ass, the game is nice and didn't deserve to bomb like that. But after playing it I must say that I don't like the game that much. The levels seems uninspired and generic, in a Mario or Little Big Planet, every level comes with one or more interesting idea/theme/gimmick. Here it just feels like levels came out of a random level generator, it just feels bland.

I also don't like how some moves slows you down, when the game encourages you to replay the levels to get some medals things in time trial. If you press the punch button in the wrong time, Rayman fucking stops to move. The hover move also slows you down in the end, it's pretty annoying to play that encourages you to go faster otherwise. Plus holding a trigger to run is annoying after a while. I also hate some of the bonus chase levels in which you have to be absolutely perfect in your timing to pass them, it's not challenging, it's some stupid trial and error, it feels like playing a giant QTE or some Guitar Hero, there's not much skill involved there as there are many obstacle that you absolutely can't pass the first time you see them. One of the last level of the game is build like that and it's absolutely horrible.

I loved the first Rayman, and I love the visuals and the music, but gameplay wise, this game isn't on par with the best platform games out there. I'm really disappoint. I wish there were more bosses too, the ones in there are pretty nice. But overall I really don't agree with you guys praising it like crazy. It's definitely not on the same level as Mario, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Little Big Planet, Braid, or Super Meat Boy, or pretty much any great platformer that come out this gen.

Margalis

Banned
Honestly when I played the demo I didn't really understand what was going on.

There are smiley faces and some move towards you automatically (?) and some don't and some change to yellow sometimes for some reason, and collecting them does...something?

To me the visuals were a problem in that it was a little hard to tell what I should be paying attention to. For example I got to a part where there was some water with a vine thing in it that would grab me if I got near it or in the water or something. The first time I got there I didn't even see the thing at all, and even after that I had trouble deciphering exactly what was happening. There isn't much differentiation between foreground and background objects, important and unimportant stuff, all the geometry is at odd angles (or looks that way), etc.

If you look at a screenshot of NSMB Wii you can tell exactly what is happening, what the terrain is like, where the enemies are, etc. In Rayman it can be hard to tell what is going on.

In NSMB Wii the ground is drawn from a straight-on side angle, in Rayman the ground is rendered with a 3/4 Final Fight style view even though you can't move along the z-axis, meaning that by looking it's isn't completely clear where the actual ground plane is.

I'm not going to say it's a bad game but I didn't get anything out of the demo. Maybe my problem is that I tend to think of 2D side scrolling games as heavily mechanics driven and to me simpler more representational graphics work better in that context than more elaborate stuff.

Alx

I also don't like how some moves slows you down, when the game encourages you to replay the levels to get some medals things in time trial. If you press the punch button in the wrong time, Rayman fucking stops to move. The hover move also slows you down in the end, it's pretty annoying to play that encourages you to go faster otherwise.

For time trials, you're supposed to be running all along, and punching things while running triggers a spinning attack that doesn't slow you down.
And hovering is mainly there to correct your misjudged jumps, in most levels you can do all the jumps without hovering. It's important not to use hovering in time trials, and essential in chest races.

I agree on the trial and error thing for races and the final level, though, but that's how the gameplay works. You're supposed to input a very tight sequence of commands, and learning to do it is the point of the level. Some people like it, others don't, but I felt it was very rewarding to get through all those death traps in a single continuous flow in the end, and not too frustrating with the infinite lives and fast restart. Of course I still cursed many times along the game... :p

PokéKong

The perfect level of challenge this game offers absolutely needs to be more emphasized.

This is most evident in the treasure racing levels. Where as games like Super Meat Boy after many failed attempts might make you feel "I'm just not skilled enough for a game like this" or "THISISTOTALBULLSHIT RAGEQUIT", every time I die in Rayman I can tell exactly where I went wrong, I jumped off the platform too early or too late, I stomped when I should've dropped, I ran when I should've walked, and can easily correct myself the next time around. My progress in catching that pesky little scampering treasure chest is completely linear, I always get a little bit farther in the level than I did my previous attempt.

Honestly when I played the demo I didn't really understand what was going on.

There are smiley faces and some move towards you automatically (?) and some don't and some change to yellow sometimes for some reason, and collecting them does...something?

To me the visuals were a problem in that it was a little hard to tell what I should be paying attention to. For example I got to a part where there was some water with a vine thing in it that would grab me if I got near it or in the water or something. The first time I got there I didn't even see the thing at all, and even after that I had trouble deciphering exactly what was happening. There isn't much differentiation between foreground and background objects, important and unimportant stuff, all the geometry is at odd angles (or looks that way), etc.

If you look at a screenshot of NSMB Wii you can tell exactly what is happening, what the terrain is like, where the enemies are, etc. In Rayman it can be hard to tell what is going on.

In NSMB Wii the ground is drawn from a straight-on side angle, in Rayman the ground is rendered with a 3/4 Final Fight style view even though you can't move along the z-axis, meaning that by looking it's isn't completely clear where the actual ground plane is.

I'm not going to say it's a bad game but I didn't get anything out of the demo. Maybe my problem is that I tend to think of 2D side scrolling games as heavily mechanics driven and to me simpler more representational graphics work better in that context than more elaborate stuff.

This is pretty much exactly the reaction I got from the people I wanted to play Rayman co-op with and after the first couple of levels everybody wanted to stop playing it for exactly those reasons. You don't know exactly what you land on, people didn't understand why they blew up into balloons, they didn't understand the collision model and the pickup system, etc.

Mario is something that everyone can jump into and immediately get it. The way the visuals work in combination with the gameplay, everything is totally clear to everyone. In Rayman I had people explaining to me why they thought they could reach this platform or land on that platform and were completely annoyed that the game was trying to fuck with them.

At the same time, those were exactly the same guys that watched me play the demo of Super Meat Boy and immediately bought the game afterwards (Word of Mouth, here we go). All except one of them even completed Super Meat Boy.

And at the same time, everyone said that Rayman was gorgeous to look it. But it was just too chaotic and confusing and not very much fun to play.

This is pretty much exactly the reaction I got from the people I wanted to play Rayman co-op with and after the first couple of levels everybody wanted to stop playing it for exactly those reasons. You don't know exactly what you land on, people didn't understand why they blew up into balloons, they didn't understand the collision model and the pickup system, etc.

Mario is something that everyone can jump into and immediately get it. The way the visuals work in combination with the gameplay, everything is totally clear to everyone. In Rayman I had people explaining to me why they thought they could reach this platform or land on that platform and were completely annoyed that the game was trying to fuck with them.

At the same time, those were exactly the same guys that watched me play the demo of Super Meat Boy and immediately bought the game afterwards (Word of Mouth, here we go). All except one of them even completed Super Meat Boy.

And at the same time, everyone said that Rayman was gorgeous to look it. But it was just too chaotic and confusing and not very much fun to play.
All these complaints seem centered around learning curve, which is admittedly not as smooth as a Mario game. Just read the manual, or a game like this will remain forever mysterious.

Alx

People shouldn't underestimate either how Mario is "easy to understand" because the universe is familiar. As someone who didn't play many Mario games, the first time I played NSMBWii, I needed long explanations to get all the different moves (bubblize, shake to move the bubble, contextual grab & throw, hovering moves, special items...).

People shouldn't underestimate either how Mario is "easy to understand" because the universe is familiar. As someone who didn't play many Mario games, the first time I played NSMBWii, I needed long explanations to get all the different moves (bubblize, shake to move the bubble, contextual grab & throw, hovering moves, special items...).
Good call, that is probably more the case than what I said, but I still think Mario is a little easier to break into.

Mr. Sam

I don't see what's so difficult to understand about Origins. There's a period of adjustment, yes - but that's true of all games. After a couple of levels, I struggle to believe that a person of average intelligence wouldn't entirely understand the different collectibles, mechanics, collision model etc. etc.

The difficulty curve is great. In Mario games, it's more of a difficulty slight incline, which there's nothing inherently wrong with. I don't like this snobbery toward games that aren't hair-pullingly hard. However, Rayman Origins expects you to learn and improve as the game progresses. It's not unreasonable.

I will say that I think co-op can be quite chaotic. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it compromises the precision and delicacy that's present in single player. Still great fun, though. And you turn into a bubble because you die, and get popped (and returned to the game) when another player hits you. If me and my idiot friends can figure that out, anyone can.

Mr. Sam

The animation obviously looks amazing. But can anyone comment on the level design? Is it really great?

I thought it was fantastic. Very creative; makes you feel very clever when you bounce, then hover, then run up a wall, punch an enemy across the screen, etc. etc. It's pretty clear what you need to accomplish, and how you can accomplish it, even if it could be a little finicky the first couple of times you try it. Not to say there's not lots of hidden areas and hidden goodies. Some really good variety, too. No two levels are alike.

PokéKong

The actual game does a much better job of explaining everything in the first few levels than the demo did. You don't start out with all the moves and the structure of the levels are relatively simple, and there should be no confusion as long as you bother reading what the hat has to say.

I can imagine if someone never played a Mario game they would have trouble understanding that all those bright friendly looking turtles and goombas will murder you, and that you must murder them by jumping on them, and that mushrooms of a different sort are very good for you, and what to do when you get to a flagpole, and that you should hit blocks from underneath instead of jump on them like you do everything else, and that tubes sometimes lead to good places and don't kill you like pits, and sometimes don't lead anywhere at all.

It takes less than an hour to become familiar enough with all the visual cues of Rayman to the point that it becomes second nature. What to do with Lums, what to do with bigger Lums and Lum coins, what you can bounce on and swing on, what bushes will activate good things to happen, and that the skinny redneck looking guys are bad.

Top Bottom