• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANCEL STILL CRYING Rayman Origins $19.99 at Toys R Us #bomba

Psy-Phi

Tempting, I do want it; but the reason I didn't buy it in the first place was a lack of time to be dedicated to actually playing it. And now, in a the new year that means more to me than last year (pseudo-resolution not to buy new games when I have games I have yet to even play).

I don't think Rayman will be going anywhere. And fuck Ubi for even hinting that it's success would make or break a BG&E sequel. Ancel needs to go some where he's appreciated.

I was waiting for the Vita version, but screw it, $20 is cheap and the demo was great.

I could always double dip. Vita version should be $10 by June.

Suairyu

Banned
Do we know anything about this game's budget? How can you assess what launch price it should have?
... by the game itself? Budget is irrelevant to me. Games are not worth $60. Thankfully, this has been a gen where I have been able to pre-order Dead Rising 2 for £13, pick up the latest Deus Ex for £11 just a couple of months after launch and will get the new Assassin's Creed for £9.99 in the Steam Summer Sale. I can jump online right now and play Team Fortress 2 or Conan or Lord Of The Rings for free.

On occasion, massive games with endless hours of entertainment come along such as The Sims or Starcraft II or Skyrim (once the complete GOTY edition hits, naturally) or a really in-depth simulation game that make me think "yeah, you know what? This might actually be worth £25-£30."
I lie a bit, as The Sims 3 was worth the £35 I paid for it on launch and I've put hundreds of quality hours into it to prove it.

We've spent ages in the UK market forcing the street prices of games down to a level more reasonably equivalent to the value offered by the product. Rest of the Western market is starting to follow suit.

Just because publishers decided to either mis-manage their budget expectations or overprice cheaper games to the ridiculous sum of $60 doesn't mean I have to stomach it.

On Boxing Day AC: R could be had for $20. They ship way too many copies.

Bought it for 35, sold it for 38 within 2 hours of playing. God have they made the gameplay so freaking stale. I could not swallow it after finishing Brotherhood only a month beforehand. I guess I will pick AC:R a few months down the road when I am "well rested"

Any key differences here in Wii vs. PS3/360 outisde of visuals obviously.

None whatsoever. The HD versions actually use the exact same assets as the Wii version as well, so if you can play the Wii version in Dolphin then it'll look just as good as the other versions.

Cels

This is a solid game though, right? Is there any particular reason people aren't buying it? I hope this doesn't mean we are going back to Raving Rabbids for good...

Bgamer90

Banned
This is a solid game though, right? Is there any particular reason people aren't buying it?

It's one of the best games of 2011 and was my personal GOTY. For that alone I feel that the game was worth it's regular price ($60).

People aren't buying it due to bad advertising, a bad release date (in November with a ton of other AAA hyped games), and also due to the perception that a 2D game isn't worth it I guess.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wow that was fast into bomba.
Black Friday price was 30

Was it? I was looking for it at $30 on Black Friday, but the best I saw was $40 on Amazon. I remember on GAF someone saying I was fortunate not to spend $40 on it in Nov because it would be $20 in Jan. Truer words were never spoken. I picked it up from Gamestop earlier this month when it dropped to $30.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I remember seeing Ubisoft hype the game up back at E3, I had a set price in my head of $39.99, I saw it launch at $59.99, Ubisoft had the gall... I know this is Rayman, prime IP, but still it's reminiscent of a 3DS game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a solid game though, right? Is there any particular reason people aren't buying it? QUOTE]

Yeah, no one gives a crap about the Rayman character.

You can't expect Mario or Sonic type sales with a d-list character that's on the level of Aero the Acrobat and Chuck Rock.

Because it didn't give me $60 worth of fun? How else am I meant to answer such a silly question?
How is that a silly question? It seems like you're getting defensive because you don't have a good answer for it.

Sample answer:

I don't think this game was worth $60 because it was too short, there wasn't enough variety in the worlds/levels/enemies/gameplay to keep things fresh throughout, the music wasn't very good, and the controls weren't responsive and tight enough.

None of that reflects my opinion on this game but it should help you see what I'm getting at. The question is perfectly answerable.

No, it quite literally defines the worth of something; it's absolutely right. You just happen to personally disagree.
So should we just stop using GAF as a place to give our opinion on the worth of a game?

Suairyu

Banned
lol how was my question silly?

I was just asking what you didn't like about the game for you to say that.

No need for the snark.
Why do I need to dislike something about the game for it to not be worth $60?

Items don't start at $60 of worth then have $$$s deducted for elements I don't like.

Not arguing with you, I'm just asking in case I get it in the future, so can you explain why? Is it short? No replay value? Boring? What?
Same for you. You're acting like a marketing man and asking me to check a load of boxes of negative-features to justify a dislike of a price tag. This is ridiculous.

How is that a silly question? It seems like you're getting defensive because you don't have a good answer for it.

Sample answer:

I don't think this game was worth $60 because it was too short, there wasn't enough variety in the worlds/levels/enemies/gameplay to keep things fresh throughout, the music wasn't very good, and the controls weren't responsive and tight enough.
And you.

Why are you all acting like I have to hold a certain amount of negative points about a game to justify each $ less than $60 I feel it is worth? Not only is that absolutely ridiculous, I also get the feeling you'd then move to refute any negative points I had in order to claim I was wrong and it was worth $60.

How about this:
"I could find no obvious flaw with the product. It was solid, well put together and brought a big stupid grin to my face. However, the total amount of goodness contained in the game did not equal $60 worth of value to me"
?

h3ro

It was asked before, but besides the 360 version being in Dolby Dig, any performance issues in 360 vs PS3?

Items don't start at $60 of worth then have $$$s deducted for elements I don't like.

Same for you. You're acting like a marketing man and asking me to check a load of boxes of negative-features to justify a dislike of a price tag. This is ridiculous.
Generally when you have the opinion that something isn't worth its initial starting price it's helpful to add why you feel that way, especially when you're discussing it on a message board. You don't have to, of course, but it should be easy to understand why people would appreciate it.

The one guy you responded to doesn't even own the game, he just wanted to know why you didn't think it was worth $60.

Suairyu said:
Why are you all acting like I have to hold a certain amount of negative points about a game to justify each $ less than $60 I feel it is worth? Not only is that absolutely ridiculous, I also get the feeling you'd then move to refute any negative points I had in order to claim I was wrong and it was worth $60.
Nah, I think the game is probably worth about $40-$50 dollars in my book.

Bgamer90

Banned

Maybe because when people feel that a product isn't worth it's price it's usually due to them felling that there's something wrong with the product combined with the fact that we are on a forum?

Heh, sorry for ever asking you for your opinion about the game. Wow lol.

Suairyu

Banned
Generally when you have the opinion that something isn't worth its initial starting price it's helpful to add why you feel that way, especially when you're discussing it on a message board. You don't have to, of course, but it should be easy to understand why people would appreciate it.

The one guy you responded to doesn't even own the game, he just wanted to know why you didn't think it was worth $60.
Say you want to buy a new bath towel. I have here a standard cotton bath towel for you to buy. It has no flaws and is perfectly adequate at the desired function of drying you. Why, as far as cototn bath towels go, this might just be one of the best you ever used. My initial starting price £300. If you don't like, please justify why.

Maybe because when people feel that a product isn't worth it's price that there's something wrong with it combined with the fact that we are on a forum?

Heh, sorry for ever asking you for your opinion about the game. Wow lol.
I'm not saying I don't want to discuss or give my opinion, I'm saying your position is ridiculous. I have clearly said there is less than $60 of fun in Rayman. There's less than $60 of fun in a happy meal toy, as well, but you could probably find a happy meal toy that has nothing 'wrong' with it per se. Your argument presumes (whether you want it to or not) that games have an inherent worth equal to what the publisher declares it at (in this case, $60) and if I disagree there has to be something wrong with the product.

There is nothing wrong with Rayman. No bad points about it. I have not a single criticism. It just isn't worth $60. It doesn't present to me $60 worth of fun. How else can I express this? You can try to sell me the world's best piece of paper, but it's still a piece of paper. Just because it doesn't have any defects doesn't mean I have to justify not paying your asking price.

Say you want to buy a new bath towel. I have here a standard cotton bath towel for you to buy. It has no flaws and is perfectly adequate at the desired function of drying you. Why, as far as cototn bath towels go, this might just be one of the best you ever used. My initial starting price £300. If you don't like, please justify why.
I do like it, do they come in salmon?

Top Bottom