• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANCEL STILL CRYING Rayman Origins $19.99 at Toys R Us #bomba

Psy-Phi

Why do I need to dislike something about the game for it to not be worth $60?

Items don't start at $60 of worth then have $$$s deducted for elements I don't like.

Same for you. You're acting like a marketing man and asking me to check a load of boxes of negative-features to justify a dislike of a price tag. This is ridiculous.

And you.

Why are you all acting like I have to hold a certain amount of negative points about a game to justify each $ less than $60 I feel it is worth? Not only is that absolutely ridiculous, I also get the feeling you'd then move to refute any negative points I had in order to claim I was wrong and it was worth $60.

How about this:
"I could find no obvious flaw with the product. It was solid, well put together and brought a big stupid grin to my face. However, the total amount of goodness contained in the game did not equal $60 worth of value to me"
?

Do you just dislike the game? It's not an inquisition, I think they're just asking why you don't feel it's worth $60. Clearly you have an opinion on how much it is worth, and to come to that opinion, you should have a reason that can be put into words. If not, then your opinion is irrational.

ghibli99

$60 was a joke.
$40 made me take notice... tried the demo, still seemed too expensive.
$30 and hitting that 'half-off' threshold made me bite, so I bought it last week.
Now it's $20 and I feel ripped off. LOL So wrong...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Gotta agree with Suairyu here. Not on the game specifically, but on the narrow way people insist one justifies their valuation of a game.

Can you not imagine enjoying a game, finding no particular flaws with it, but reflecting upon the amount of enjoyment you derived from it, concluding that it was not really worth the asking price? Perhaps you can remember games that you had more fun with that cost less?

Bgamer90

Banned
There is nothing wrong with Rayman. No bad points about it. I have not a single criticism. It just isn't worth $60. It doesn't present to me $60 worth of fun. How else can I express this?

That's all you had to say.

Believe or it not, people have different reasons for feeling the same way :):gasp!:: shocking right?).

DaBuddaDa

Do you just dislike the game? It's not an inquisition, I think they're just asking why you don't feel it's worth $60. Clearly you have an opinion on how much it is worth, and to come to that opinion, you should have a reason that can be put into words. If not, then your opinion is irrational.

The perceived value of something isn't directly correlated to intrinsic qualities of the item. His example a few posts back about a hand towel is a good one. You could have the greatest video game of all time with zero flaws and have it provide immense and sustaining entertainment and still not believe the sum of its parts is worth spending $60 on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will wait for...

68x8J.jpg

But seriously, I'm tempted to pick this up. Backlog is big enough though.

I would have bought this game at full price if it were available for PC and had online co-op.

It's a shame to see one of my favorite video game characters fail so badly, but after years of being out-of-the-spotlight if favor of Rabbids, no one could expect Rayman to be too publicly recognizable like Mario or Sonic. If any game were in need of heavy advertising, it'd probably be something like this.

Suairyu

Banned
Justify why the worth of Rayman Origins is $60 to me with your opinion. Exactly $60, by the way, not a dollar more or less. Use positive or negative points about the game, assign dollar values to each and then add it all together. I want you to do this sincerely, without an ounce of mockery, deceit or assumption. I want empirical records for the methods you used to translate your opinion into dollar points.

Because if you can actually do that, you will have done something as ridiculous as the task you are asking me to perform here.

The perceived value of something isn't directly correlated to intrinsic qualities of the item. His example a few posts back about a hand towel is a good one. You could have the greatest video game of all time with zero flaws and have it provide immense and sustaining entertainment and still not believe the sum of its parts is worth spending $60 on.
Thankyou.

That's all you had to say.
It still doesn't answer your question why I thought Rayman wasn't worth $60. Nothing I say can answer that question because that question is preposterous. Rayman just wasn't worth $60 to me. There is nothing hard I can give to reason that. Even if I absolutely hated the game and had a ton of bad things to say about it, I still wouldn't be able to reasonable justify a specific price point. If we're not talking in a market trading sense of material cost, worth and value are gut feelings.

Bgamer90

Banned
Gotta agree with Sairyu here. Not on the game specifically, but on the narrow way people insist one justifies their valuation of a game.

Can you not imagine enjoying a game, finding no particular flaws with it, but reflecting upon the amount of enjoyment you derived from it, concluding that it was not really worth the asking price? Perhaps you can remember games that you had more fun with that cost less?

wooooow.

I was just interested in his opinion.

I 100% get his stance and never said that there was anything wrong with him feeling that way.

I'll be sure to never ask for someone's opinion again on these forums (lol).

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh…the annual $20 UBIBomba is here. Time to pick it up at TRU.

branny

Demo didn't impress me outside of the visuals. Still a pass.
I kind of feel this way. To those who played it in its entirety, does it get better than the demo? It seemed like a collect-a-thon with loose, floaty platforming... That demo did nothing for me besides want to stop playing it. If that was an accurate representation of the game, then I'll have to pass because it isn't for me. =\

bridegur

It's sad to me that people somehow think this isn't worth full price just because it's 2D. Easily one of the best games of 2011, and definitely the best platformer by far.

DaBuddaDa

wooooow.

I was just interested in his opinion.

I 100% get his stance and never said that there was anything wrong with him feeling that way.

I'll be sure to never ask for someone's opinion again on these forums (lol).

You said:

I was just asking what you didn't like about the game for you to say that.
That implies you believe he thinks something is wrong with the game which is why he thinks the game is worth less than $60. Now you say you 100% get what he's saying. Make up your mind!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

His reason was "It wasn't 60$ worth of fun for me." That's a valid reason, even if it doesn't fit into the erroneous but common framework applied to game reviews, where the reasoning is understood to be something like: "Every game is a 10 and worth $60 by default. As I notice things I actively dislike about it, I lower the score and the monetary value."

Bgamer90

Banned
Justify why the worth of Rayman Origins is $60 to me with your opinion. Exactly $60, by the way, not a dollar more or less. Use positive or negative points about the game, assign dollar values to each and then add it all together. I want you to do this sincerely, without an ounce of mockery, deceit or assumption. I want empirical records for the methods you used to translate your opinion into dollar points.

Because if you can actually do that, you will have done something as ridiculous as the task you are asking me to perform here.

lol really?

So "why?" means to do exactly what you stated in that post?

My goodness.

It's sad to me that people somehow think this isn't worth full price just because it's 2D. Easily one of the best games of 2011, and definitely the best platformer by far.

I said this in the last NPD thread, but here goes another round: explain why this game is worth 4x as much as Super Meat Boy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Has anyone said "I don't think this is worth it because it's 2D." Or is that merely your speculation?

DaBuddaDa

Hm, not a single person has made that argument in the entire thread so far. Where are you hearing people say that so often?

Mike M

Nick N
I don't think ANY game is worth $60. I haven't paid more than $30 bucks for a game in years (Ususally $20 or less, actually) with extremely rare occurrences, like Nintendo published games that almost never drop in price...

Suairyu

Banned
lol really?

So "why?" means to do exactly what you stated in that post?

My goodness.
That was exactly what you asking me to do by requesting I justify why the game wasn't worth $60 and to list bad points in support of it. All I did was get a bit more specific about proposed methodology.

edit - holy damn where are people getting the "people hate because it's 2D" thing from?

I don't understand why you're acting like the victim here. You're the one who came in here posting brash stuff like this at the news of it dropping to $20:

Suairyu said:
You kidding? The game is finally at the launch price it should have had. Now we gotta wait a few weeks for the first price drop.
And then making it even clearer by disagreeing with others who thought the game was worth $60:

Suairyu said:
I've played it start-to-finish with a friend. I sincerely disagree.
It's not like you just wandered in here and were all, "I don't know guys, I mean, the game is fun and there isn't really anything wrong with it but I just don't think it's worth $60." No, your opinion was much stronger than that (you even sincerely disagreed), and expecting no one to challenge your strong opinion is a little much, don't you think? And heck, most people aren't even challenging it, they're just asking you to back it up a little. It just seemed like you really had it figured out that this game was only worth $20.

I just really don't understand why you're acting so surprised at this, almost like it's the first time you've seen a strong opinion challenged on NeoGAF.

Bgamer90

Banned
You said:

That implies you believe he thinks something is wrong with the game which is why he thinks the game is worth less than $60. Now you say you 100% get what he's saying. Make up your mind!

Again, usually when a person feels that a product isn't worth it's full price, it's usually due to a certain problem that they have with the product and that can include them just feeling that they spent too much due to the product's nature.

So again, I understand where he is coming from.

Never would have guess that this would have came from me asking the simple question "why?"; I mean, do some act similarly in real life situations when people ask them the question "Why?".

DaBuddaDa

Again, usually when a person feels that a product isn't worth it's full price, it's usually due to a certain problem that they have with the product and that can include them just not feeling that they spent too much due to the product's nature.

Ok, I guess the problem is you're making an assumption here that other do not agree with.

Same for you. You're acting like a marketing man and asking me to check a load of boxes of negative-features to justify a dislike of a price tag. This is ridiculous.

The fuck is wrong with you? I'm just asking for some reasons why it's not worth full price. I'm considering getting it in the future, so I want to know so I can decide what would be a reasonable amount to pay. I'm asking for your opinion, how is that ridiculous?

Bgamer90

Banned
Ok, I guess the problem is you're making an assumption here that other do not agree with.

I guess. I mean, I feel that believing that something isn't worth it's price due to it's nature can be put in the "dislike" category but I guess some feel differently.

Will this bring me to Super Mario Bros. Wii levels of frustration when playing with other people? I hear it can get pretty difficult.

Ra1den

I'd buy this, but if it's going to $10 eventually I may as well wait since I wont have time to play it for ages.

Bgamer90

Banned
That was exactly what you asking me to do by requesting I justify why the game wasn't worth $60 and to list bad points in support of it. All I did was get a bit more specific about proposed methodology.

You could have just said "I didn't have $60 worth of fun" and left it at that.

I was just interested in why you felt that way. I wasn't expecting a long list.

Don't see how you could get all of that just from me asking a one word question [well that along with the fact that you (obviously) aren't me].

I have a bunch of credit and gift cards to use on Amazon, so I'd rather not buy anything from anywhere else. I submitted the lower price to Amazon. Here's hoping that they match it.

Top Bottom