• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANCEL STILL CRYING Rayman Origins $19.99 at Toys R Us #bomba

mjc

I blame each and every one of you that's waiting for an even lower price drop if we don't get BG&E2. There will be hell to pay.

I would have loved this game years ago. My patience is so short now and I'm starting to suck at these types of games.
In the demo I died a couple of times and where they sent me back to sent me over the edge and it wasn't even too far. I had to stop after 2 or 3 deaths. Damn did it look good though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Doesn't make sense to me. Basically all I'm asking for is some impressions on the game, good or bad, so I can decide myself what I reasonable amount to pay for it would me. Pretty much a mini-review. But it seems like you've decided on principle that you shouldn't have to do that.

In your head, when you decided that it wasn't worth $60, you must have had some other thoughts as to why that was the case. As a whole you may have decided that your experience with the game wasn't worth what you paid for it. But to arrive at that conclusion you must have had some other thoughts on the game. Is there some sort of moral dilemma with this? People do it all the time on gaf. Or was your though process just:

"Well that wasn't worth $60"

If you read what's already been posted in the discussion I think you'll have your answers.

Yeah it was multiple people (2 iirc).

2 people isn't much of a sample to generalize from.

Purexed

Banned
I keep hearing that Rayman doesn't have 5.1 sound, but I hear music and sound effect coming out of my rear speakers just fine. And no, it's not on Pro Logic mode on my receiver.

Bgamer90

Banned
I keep hearing that Rayman doesn't have 5.1 sound, but I hear music and sound effect coming out of my rear speakers just fine. And no, it's not on Pro Logic mode on my receiver.

You have the 360 version?

I read that the PS3 version doesn't have 5.1.

Doesn't make sense to me. Basically all I'm asking for is some impressions on the game, good or bad, so I can decide myself what I reasonable amount to pay for it would me. Pretty much a mini-review. But it seems like you've decided on principle that you shouldn't have to do that.

In your head, when you decided that it wasn't worth $60, you must have had some other thoughts as to why that was the case. As a whole you may have decided that your experience with the game wasn't worth what you paid for it. But to arrive at that conclusion you must have had some other thoughts on the game. Is there some sort of moral dilemma with this? People do it all the time on gaf. Or was your though process just:

I'm not so sure I'd want to pay $60 for any release besides something I KNOW has a genuine appeal in my head, and online multiplayer support. The only exception to this rule has been Mass Effect 2 (I waited until ME1 was $40), because it was a sequel and it had earned my support with the first.

Something I play casually (with no Xbox live online play) with my wife, I would pay a max of $40 for, especially if it was something I barely knew anything about, or was demo-ing a new technology. For $20, you simply cannot beat this price for, in my opinion, a game that is more fun than New SMB in some ways (not all).

Suairyu

Banned
Or was your though process just:

Erm, yes? What other method should I use? I've repeatedly stated the fallacy of "justify why it isn't worth $60" in this thread.

I've also repeatedly said in this thread I have found no flaw with the game. I said I enjoyed it and it put a big stupid grin on my face. Rayman is a good game. If you have friends, I heartily recommend it. Just not at $60. For no reason other than it wasn't $60 of value for me. $20 seems a fair price. I wouldn't pay $20 myself, but then I buy most of my games at what probably equates to $10-15, paying as much as what I guess would be about $40 for in-depth simulation games or The Sims. Exactly what value I would ascribe to Rayman is useless information to you as I appear to place less worth on videogames than a lot of people here. Instead, I can say this:

With friends, Rayman Origins is sincerely worth your time investment. If you split the retail cost with your friends and use the savings to buy beer to go with the game, you'll feel like you've gotten a bargain.

If you read what's already been posted in the discussion I think you'll have your answers.

I read what he posted multiple times. "That's just what I feel" doesn't make sense. He must have had some other thoughts to arrive at that conclusion.

I haven't even played the game, I'm just asking for the opinion of another to help me decide what I should wait for the price to drop to before I buy it.

Bgamer90

Banned
2 people isn't much of a sample to generalize from.

It was 2 on that forum. On other sites (comment boxes) I've seen a few more basically say the same.

It wasn't much of a sample of course (I mean, I can't survey or read the opinions of thousands upon thousands of people about a certain topic), but is it really all that surprising that some people feel that way about this game?

Erm, yes? I've repeatedly said in this thread I have found no flaw with the game. I said I enjoyed it and it put a big stupid grin on my face. Rayman is a good game. If you have friends, I heartily recommend it. Just not at $60. For no reason other than it wasn't $60 of value for me. $20 seems a fair price. I wouldn't pay $20 myself, but then I buy most of my games at what probably equates to $10-15, paying as much as what I guess would be about $40 for in-depth simulation games or The Sims. Exactly what value I would ascribe to Rayman is useless information to you as I appear to place less worth on videogames than a lot of people here. Instead, I can say this:

With friends, Rayman Origins is sincerely worth your time investment. If you split the cost with your friends, you'll feel like you've gotten a bargain.

So have you played it again since then? Because generally I place more value on a game I'll play through once compared to one I'll play through multiple times. I call this 'replay value'.

Suairyu

Banned
So have you played it again since then? Because generally I place more value on a game I'll play through once compared to one I'll play through multiple times. I call this 'replay value'.
I have not. I played it through once with a friend and that was it. I felt no desire to 100% it or do it all again.

But then again, I don't get that desire with many games at all, so that information is also useless to you.

h3ro

360 it is :)

DCX

No doubt. :)

Went with PS3 myself, I prefer the PS3 controller to the 360's when it comes to 2D games and I also just got the Sony Wireless Surround sound headphones that do a really good job creating a virtual surround field so even if the game isn't in 5.1, the headphones do a decent job of converting the sound.

I'm hyped to see what Klepek was raving about. Loved the demo.

Come on Amazon match it, I'm not driving to Toys R Us...
Free shipping. :)

Plus, most ToysRUs gaming areas are war zones and the stores themselves tend to be really depressing. I'd rather keep my fond memories of TRU intact and have it shipped to my door.

Okay, seriously; you're not reading a word I'm saying. Or at least not whole sentences. .

Your entire argument boils down to "I don't think it's worth $60 because I don't think it's worth $60". We're looking for concrete reasons as to why you don't feel it's worth $60. You know, like you thought it was too short/too easy/too colorful/not enough shooting, things of that nature.

Suairyu

Banned
Your entire argument boils down to "I don't think it's worth $60 because I don't think it's worth $60". We're looking for concrete reasons as to why you don't feel it's worth $60. You know, like you thought it was too short/too easy/too colorful/not enough shooting, things of that nature.
Oh goddamn read my posts - I will not justify why it is worth less than $60 because it is impossible to do so as the question presumes all games start at an inherent value of $60. As this is obviously a fallacy I cannot engage with it and I have made multiple posts in this thread saying both:
1 - Rayman is a game I cannot find a single flaw with and I enjoyed it
2 - It isn't worth $60
3 - Your presumptions that I can somehow use a methodology to justify #2, especially in light of #1, are unreasonable

Take it or leave it.

And don't quote my stealth edits it's bad form, you scamp!

I have not. I played it through once with a friend and that was it. I felt no desire to 100% it or do it all again.

But then again, I don't get that desire with many games at all, so that information is also useless to you.

Well what you wrote before the edit was disappointing, but I'll ignore that. So you don't think it has much replay value. Could have said a while ago, that might have saved a bit of time, but anyway.

Next question. How long did it take to complete?

OSHAN

Suairyu, I think you should just bite and say you didn't like the box art so it wasn't worth 60 dollars so I don't have to read more posts of you repeating yourself. Thanks.

Suairyu, I think you should just bite and say you didn't like the box art so it wasn't worth 60 dollars so I don't have to read more posts of you repeating yourself. Thanks.

I got one reason out of him already. He said he doesn't have any desire to play it though again or complete it, i.e. no replay value. He does have them, he just doesn't know it.

Oli

Well, this was the price I had been waiting for, so I placed my order.

Am I a good person for waiting out the inevitable drop? No, I am not.

Am I a smart person for waiting out the inevitable drop? Well I did save $40 bucks..

Sorry Ancel :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's a damn steal at that price. Buy it, you guys. You definitely won't regret it!

Some of the best platforming I've experienced in a while.

Lots of time trial stuff, completing medals, and you have to play certain levels in order to attain the true ending. The music is also fantastic. I know that like Sonic Generations, I've been playing this off and on even after I've completed it.

It gets into some Super Meat Boy-type of shit later on too.

Suairyu

Banned
Well what you wrote before the edit was disappointing
I'll be entirely honest here - I misread what I was quoting. I am ashamed and quickly remedied my post but have been caught so apologies.

So you don't think it has much replay value.
I'm saying games don't tend to in general. If you commonly look for and find replay value in your games, ignore my thoughts on it.

Next question. How long did it take to complete?
A beer-filled long weekend (friday to monday) with lots of breaks and other activities in between sessions to get to the end of the game. This was certainly nowhere near 100% and probably not even half of all the various things you have to do to attain 100% achieved but I couldn't be sure. Put a gun to my head, I'd guess we put maybe 10 to 15 hours in, but so much of it was dicking around horseplay with punching each other in the face and thus not completing levels as quickly as we should.

We had a very fun time.

I got one reason out of him already. He said he doesn't have any desire to play it though again or complete it, i.e. no replay value. He does have them, he just doesn't know it.
I haven't given you a single reason why the game is worth less than $60 other than I don't think it is worth $60. The proposition for replaying it has no bearing on that fact. Stop putting words in my mouth or attributing negative dollar points to my ENTIRELY POSITIVE thoughts on the game. You still obviously don't understand what I've been saying all along and my stealth-editing post actually remains accurate, despite my shame at mis-reading yours.

Lots of time trial stuff, completing medals, and you have to play certain levels in order to attain the true ending. The music is also fantastic. I know that like Sonic Generations, I've been playing this off and on even after I've completed it.

It gets into some Super Meat Boy-type of shit later on too.

Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing I was asking for. Just a few impression so I can understand a bit more about the game and then decide myself how much I should pay for it.

I'll be entirely honest here - I misread what I was quoting. I am ashamed and quickly remedied my post but have been caught so apologies.

I'm saying games don't tend to in general. If you commonly look for and find replay value in your games, ignore my thoughts on it.

A beer-filled long weekend (friday to monday) with lots of breaks and other activities in between sessions to get to the end of the game. This was certainly nowhere near 100% and probably not even half of all the various things you have to do to attain 100% achieved but I couldn't be sure. Put a gun to my head, I'd guess we put maybe 10 to 15 hours in, but so much of it was dicking around horseplay with punching each other in the face and thus not completing levels as quickly as we should.

We had a very fun time.

Ok, thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I've probably come across as a dick after all this, but I just wanted a few impressions on the game. In hindsight, it might have made more sense for me to go to the OT, but I just thought there wasn't much harm in asking here.

mariogrinsnay.png

All credit goes to jarosh: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34018019&postcount=1

Man, I just want to punch Mario in the face so bad in that picture.

ced

Alright I bought it, I was being lazy about filling out all the BS to order it online, but free shipping sold me.

I've never seen someone so antagonistic when asked for their opinion.

I played the demo and a couple levels at PAX. I didn't like the controls or level design. Because of the co-op implementation, all the levels are split up into smaller pods of gameplay. Playing single player feels like a cheaper portable game. Playing multiplayer is too chaotic.

The mechanics of the game didn't seem to offer any new experience to me. I rather play Braid, a game I got for $8 than Rayman Origins.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
OK good point. But yeah my gut is telling me that's the reason.

I share your gut feeling. It seems like the most salient difference between Rayman and other $60 games so it's not a crazy speculation. I just wouldn't presume to accuse any particular person of having that opinion or that reason for their opinion unless they said so. (Not saying you did this.)

I was just pushing back against people who were perhaps overly confident in their statements that 2D was the declared reason the game isn't worth 60. Cuz I'm a jerk like that.

It was 2 on that forum. On other sites (comment boxes) I've seen a few more basically say the same.

It wasn't much of a sample of course (I mean, I can't survey or read the opinions of thousands upon thousands of people about a certain topic), but is it really all that surprising that some people feel that way about this game?

It's not surprising at all that some people feel this way. I was mainly arguing that no one here explicitly said it.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm just going to take Oshan's advice:
Gareth Bale, Rayman is a great game with no obvious flaws. As we all know, it was declared by The International Monetary Fund decades ago that all videogames of perfect form had an intrinsic value of $60, so that would be Rayman's worth. However, so lackluster was the boxart and the manual not thick enough that I can distill my disappointment into a clear cut $40 and deduct it from the $60 value because that's how Lord IGN declared videogames reviews work during the frosty winter of 1998.

Thus you will find that Rayman Origins is worth the $19.99 asking price in the OP link. In fact, as they're only asking for $19.99 they're practically giving it to you for $0.01, so how can you afford not to purchase it? Enjoy the game.

Is it possible for this game to get any cheaper at retail?

I can't remember the last time I saw a non-used game go for any lower than $20 anywhere.

I'm just going to take Oshan's advice:
Gareth Bale, Rayman is a great game with no obvious flaws. As we all know, it was declared by The International Monetary Fund decades ago that all videogames of perfect form had an intrinsic value of $60, so that would be Rayman's worth. However, so lackluster was the boxart and the manual not thick enough that I can distill my disappointment into a clear cut $40 and deduct it from the $60 value because that's how Lord IGN declared videogames reviews work during the frosty winter of 1998.

Thus you will find that Rayman Origins is worth the $19.99 asking price in the OP link. In fact, as they're only asking for $19.99 they're practically giving it to you for $0.01, so how can you afford not to purchase it? Enjoy the game.

Really...? Back to this? I was asking for your impressions. I never asked you to place a value on how much it's worth. You didn't have to make a big joke out of it. And I'm in the UK anyway, so the jokes on you.

Suairyu

Banned
I wish I liked platformers more, because I do like beautiful games, very much.
It is an incredibly beautiful game. But more importantly, the visual style melds with the audio. It builds up layers of song with sound effects resulting from your actions. I absolutely loathe soundbite-style posts and think this isn't really all that accurate, but it's sort-of-but-not-really like if Rez met Rayman in that regard. That's the best way to describe it (except it really isn't).

Absolutely stunning presentation.

Really...? Back to this? I was asking for your impressions. I never asked you to place a value on how much it's worth. You didn't have to make a big joke out of it. And I'm in the UK anyway, so the jokes on you.

Rewind:

Top Bottom