• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And we're off! Nintendo 3DS Pre-order lines forming in Japan.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/20/3ds_lines/

2132438071.jpg

2132438072.jpg

The 3DS doesn't launch for a little over a month. But people are already lining up for it.

Here's some proof that popped up on the old Twitter today:

First, outside of Shinjuku Yodobashi:

This next one was taken outside the Akihabara Yodobashi Camera at around 7:24. The person who posted the image says about 260 people were lined up.

Are these people planning on camping out for a month (making occasional trips to the local manga cafe for a shower)? Actually, these lines aren't for the 3DS itself, but for pre-orders. Nintendo officially kicked off pre-orders today at retailers nationwide.

Unconfirmed retail reports indicate that Nintendo will have 400,000 units available at launch on February 26. Nintendo has officially said that it will have 1.5 million systems shipped domestically by the March 31 end of the fiscal year.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tigel said:
Don't those people have jobs or something?

In Japan, you get 2 hrs of line up time per week. Because everything has lines there.

>_>

How does that rumored 400k for launch compare to other releases in Japan?

I would love to know what goes into making that first shipment. Where DS lite manufacturing lines converted, new ones made, etc. I love reading about that kind of stuff.

antonz

Gamer @ Heart said:
How does that rumored 400k for launch compare to other releases in Japan?

I would love to know what goes into making that first shipment. Where DS lite manufacturing lines converted, new ones made, etc. I love reading about that kind of stuff.
Well they have 1.5 million units for launch. The problem is the 1.5 million is plotted out to cover until March 31st so they are being forced to ration to cover the fiscal year

Hmm... Maybe this is a sign that I should pre-order in Gamestop as well as Amazon. Don't want to risk not getting the system at launch.

Personally, I'm hoping to be able to waltz into Nintendo World and pick one up (after all, they were one of the only stores with Wiis consistently in stock) but I don't know.

antonz

Why would you do that? said:
Hmm... Maybe this is a sign that I should pre-order in Gamestop as well as Amazon. Don't want to risk not getting the system at launch.

Personally, I'm hoping to be able to waltz into Nintendo World and pick one up (after all, they were one of the only stores with Wiis consistently in stock) but I don't know.
US and EU will be better off though not much. 2.5 million units divded between US and EU for launch. We get the benefit of launch being right at the end of the FY so they wont be spacing shipments like in Japan

Guevara

What can scalpers expect to make on this launch? I'd never do it, but I always hear the free money alarm in my head

Ondore

Michan said:
They're queueing in preparation to queue! Nintendo... what have you done?

You'd think this was the line in London or something. They know how to queue... they're British. (Or so the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie told me.)

Also, only 260 people in line at the time of the article? That's probably doubled now.

Ondore said:
You'd think this was the line in London or something. They know how to queue... they're British. (Or so the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie told me.)

Also, only 260 people in line at the time of the article? That's probably doubled now.
actually, the brits, japan and the us are the worlds best queuers in my experience.

madara

Huh? That cant be right, a month ahead? Did 2D zelda or mario get announced for launch that I missed? 2D DQ or FF perhaps? I swear you could release a toaster at 299 as game console now and the have to be firsts would still line, not alot motivation to make solid launch titles anymore. Surely will be a great system down the road though.

farnham

Banned
im at ueno right now

might as well check that shit out but i got better things to do then watch lines for a friggin preorder

sheesh

VOOK

I'm wondering if the 400k will make it hard for me to get an import.

Codeblue

I pre-ordered so I wouldn't have to wait in line. Sort of defeats the point of have pre-orders if everyone is just gonna wait in line anyway.

VOOK

MoeB said:
Don't they know about the device's battery life?

They've been lining up so line so long their phone batteries went dead and missed the news. Guess they'll have to read about it in tomorrows paper.

DM'd you CVX :p

antonz said:
US and EU will be better off though not much. 2.5 million units divded between US and EU for launch. We get the benefit of launch being right at the end of the FY so they wont be spacing shipments like in Japan
Well, I guess there's some hope for Americans, but how many units did the Wii launch with?

Top Bottom