• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replicant said:
dqqfyq.jpg

WTF his socks don't even match.

Angry Fork

MalboroRed said:
WTF his socks don't even match.
He's wearing socks ironically.
Looks terrible. Agree that Peter shouldn't be a handsome guy and he certainly shouldn't attempt to look stylish/anti-establishment or whatever.

B.K.

brotkasten said:
As someone who never read the comics: Whaaaat?

In the comics,
she gets thrown off a bridge and Spiderman breaks her neck when he tries to catch her with his webbing.

_dementia said:
Same here. Even stranger is I'm not particularly attracted to blondes.

I'm not particularly attracted to blondes but all the significant others in my lifetime just happened to end up that way.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Weirdly, that doesn't happen more often when spidey is yanking civilians ou of harm's way and shit.

It's kind of like when Batman's moral code doesn't allow him to kill people, then he crushes a guy in a dump truck with his fucking tumbler.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Weirdly, that doesn't happen more often when spidey is yanking civilians ou of harm's way and shit.

It's kind of like when Batman's moral code doesn't allow him to kill people, then he crushes a guy in a dump truck with his fucking tumbler.
He learned from his mistake.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

You don't know that he died, he could just be severely disabled.

Dali said:
Exactly! This guy looks like he spent houts in front of a mirror trying to get his hair just right. From reading comments like salvor's above I'm getting the feeling this is what modern/ultimate spiderman is and I'm just scratching my head because my knowledge of him is well... OG spiderman. Seems like it's going to play out like raimi's version will end up being for us old timers and this version will be for people who were raised on the "nerd by circumstance" (lol) spidey.

The emboldened is hilarious. You do realize that in the 616 universe he dated Gwen before MJ, right? And that Peter Parker made his web shooters? Also, originally it wasn't an Oscorp laboratory where he got bit by an irradiated spider. While I love Raimi's films, I realize that they're a lot closer to Ultimate Spider-man (issue 25) than is this reboot. "Old timer". Hilarious.

The complaints regarding his hair and clothes are absurd. Who here actually thought Garfield was unrealistic in his role as Eduardo when watching The Social Network? He was a shy dude, and although he's a decent looker, he didn't once come off as being a pussy magnet. The guy is a great actor and he'll have absolutely no problem playing Peter Parker.

A good script and a faithful Spider-Man film will be where they get his character right. Even in the early Stan Lee comics, Peter was a fairly likeable guy that was picked on because he couldn't make the time nor waste the money that his peers could. Stan Lee made it a point to show that girls were attracted to him, but he (Peter) would often leave them disappointed by being a flake. In fact Liz, Gwen and MJ would often flirt with him. And when Peter would get too big for his britches it would even work out for him until ol' Parker luck would kick in.

He's not the helpless ugly spaz people in this thread are making him out to be. Dressing him up like a 1950s dork won't add anything to this film, nor will it be realistic. But what do I know? I only have a collection of more than a thousand Spider-Man comics.

.la1n

Angry Fork said:
He's wearing socks ironically.
Looks terrible. Agree that Peter shouldn't be a handsome guy and he certainly shouldn't attempt to look stylish/anti-establishment or whatever.

Agreed. Not that I had a ton of faith in the movie to begin with but I never thought i'd say Tobey made a better peter parker.

edit: Peter can be handsome all he wants but this hipster shit is rediculous.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm glad that we are able to know exactly how Peter Parker will be portrayed by Andrew Garfield from a few off-set pictures and that we have come to the conclusion that Tobey Maguire's version was the ultimate Parker.

xxracerxx

.la1n said:
edit: Peter can be handsome all he wants but this hipster shit is rediculous.
Has anyone been to Manhattan and the boroughs lately? Jesus christ people, this is how kids dress.

reilo

xxracerxx said:
Has anyone been to Manhattan and the boroughs lately? Jesus christ people, this is how kids dress.
Even worse is how everyone is throwing out the "hipster" label around here, yet I'm quite confident that I can say nobody on here knows what a hipster really is nor have they met one.

The way Andrew Garfield is dressed is pretty far removed from a "hipster".

Salaadin

reilo said:
Even worse is how everyone is throwing out the "hipster" label around here, yet I'm quite confident that I can say nobody on here knows what a hipster really is nor have they met one.

The way Andrew Garfield is dressed is pretty far removed from a "hipster".

Its starting to feel like "He dresses unlike me therefore he is a hipster"
I think he looks fine.

B.K. said:
In the comics,
she gets thrown off a bridge and Spiderman breaks her neck when he tries to catch her with his webbing.

Seriously? Bwahaha! :lol
So he accidentally killed her before she hit the ground? That's really hilarious.

reilo

Salaadin said:
Its starting to feel like "He dresses unlike me therefore he is a hipster"
I think he looks fine.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Until I see him sport a mustache while wearing jeans so skinny that they cut off any blood circulation at his ankles while playing Zelda on his original Gameboy and spending his afternoons shopping for plaid patterns at a flea market or a Salvation Army to match his corduroy belt with satchels on them, I will refuse to proclaim him to be a hipster based on wearing a big jacket and some jeans bought from a Vans store.

If anything, he dresses like plenty of young web developers I know in Portland.

brotkasten said:
Seriously? Bwahaha! :lol
So he accidentally killed her before she hit the ground? That's really hilarious.

She was going to fall into water, so it could even be argued that had he not tried to save her, she might have even survived.
Of course that just feeds into Parker's guilt and makes every subsequent comic that more interesting. It really was the perfect story line for him.

reilo

Solo said:
Hipster defence force, assemble!
Not a hipster defense force, nor am I a hipster myself -- far from it. I just don't think he's being portrayed like one in the images we have seen.

Salvor.Hardin said:
She was going to fall into water, so it could even be argued that had he not tried to save her, she might have even survived.
Of course that just feeds into Parker's guilt and makes every subsequent comic that more interesting. It really was the perfect story line for him.
He should have
jumped after her, grabbed her mid-air and then used the web to slingshot both of them back up
instead.

xxracerxx

reilo said:
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Until I see him sport a mustache while wearing jeans so skinny that they cut off any blood circulation at his ankles while playing Zelda on his original Gameboy and spending his afternoons shopping for plaid patterns at a flea market or a Salvation Army to match his corduroy belt with satchels on them, I will refuse to proclaim him to be a hipster based on wearing a big jacket and some jeans bought from a Vans store.

Hahaha, now I know why we are on the same page.

Blader

B.K. said:
They've only been filming for a few months. There probably won't even be a teaser before Thanksgiving or Christmas.

They started filming in December, it wraps this month. There will probably a teaser at Comic Con and then a full trailer in November.

Dartastic

reilo said:

Bravo.

reilo

xxracerxx said:
Hahaha, now I know why we are on the same page.

haha no fucking kidding. I live on Mississippi, too. If I threw a rock out of the window I'd probably hit a hipster right now.

Dali

Salvor.Hardin said:
The emboldened is hilarious. You do realize that in the 616 universe he dated Gwen before MJ, right? And that Peter Parker made his web shooters? Also, originally it wasn't an Oscorp laboratory where he got bit by an irradiated spider. While I love Raimi's films, I realize that they're a lot closer to Ultimate Spider-man (issue 25) than is this reboot.

I don't know this universe crap you're spouting but all of the above regarding the original spiderman continuity is well known to me. The characterization of parker is what I was referring to. I don't know what they did with the high school redo of spiderman but apparently trendy with pro-styled hair is what he is now.

He's not the helpless ugly spaz people in this thread are making him out to be. Dressing him up like a 1950s dork won't add anything to this film, nor will it be realistic. But what do I know? I only have a collection of more than a thousand Spider-Man comics.
you don't know much if you think he has to dress like a 50s dork to come across as a one. Goes back to how I described toby's characterization. He wasn't wearing suspenders and high-waters but he didn't look like he'd spent hours infront of a mirror either.

xxracerxx

reilo said:

haha no fucking kidding. I live on Mississippi, too. If I threw a rock out of the window I'd probably hit a hipster right now.
Haha, too true.

Salsa

fuckin emma stone man, my pants are going to instantly come off the moment she steps into frame, arent they ?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I seriously hate you all...

jesus fucking christ.

Movie looks great, Stone is going to be great and same with Garfield.

I thought after Spider-Man gets bitten, he stops wearing glasses and pocket protectors like the nerdy stereotype suggests. And then overnight, cleans up and looks like an everyman.

These guys don't look like ultra nerds:
ic8ccz.jpg

24gta54.jpg

So what's wrong with the movie look?

G-Fex

wenis said:
I seriously hate you all...

jesus fucking christ.

Movie looks great, Stone is going to be great and same with Garfield.

It does.

I don't care if you guys think he looks like a hipster I think he looks way fucking better than Toby. He actually looks like parker.

Bregor

FunkyPajamas said:
He should have
jumped after her, grabbed her mid-air and then used the web to slingshot both of them back up
instead.

They would fall at the same rate, he would be unable to catch up with her.

G-Fex

DryEyeRelief said:
I thought after Spider-Man gets bitten, he stops wearing glasses and pocket protectors like the nerdy stereotype suggests. And then overnight, cleans up and looks like an everyman.

These guys don't look like ultra nerds:
ic8ccz.jpg

24gta54.jpg

So what's wrong with the movie look?

Don't forget this guy
qrWxk.jpg

reilo

Dartastic said:
Depends where you are on Mississippi... It's all too possible that if you're near Prost you'll hit a bro, if you somehow miss the people at the food carts.
Only Fridays through Saturdays between 8pm and 2am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom