• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Movie still looks great to me. Every time I see people complaining about Peter it just makes me wonder if anyone actually reads the comics anymore? He always has women coming after him these days. Maybe they're just going for a more realistic portrayal? When was the last time you saw an "uber-nerd" in high school or college? There were never any kids like that in my grade. And hey, if there were, they must have been really unnoticable and nobody would want to watch a movie with an unlikeable Peter. Fashion looks perfectly fine for someone still in school as well.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Hipsters look like more like this:

Evolution_y08_v3_single_72dpi.jpg

Evolution_y09_v3_single_72dpi.jpg

Evolution_y06_v3_single_72dpi.jpg

This Spider-man isn't a hipster. This literally is how kids dress nowadays. We're all old now. This Peter Parker is a 2001 Hipster.

G-Fex

young people dress like fucking lumberjacks now?

Oh god I'd like to backhand those people with my dueling hand.

Not going to lie, blonde Emma Stone is totally doing it for me. It will be quite sad if they inevitably follow Gwen's comic storyline.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
G-Fex said:
young people dress like fucking lumberjacks now?

Oh god I'd like to backhand those people with my dueling hand.

Hipsters do. Not the overwhelming majority of America, just the 3% sorry few that are Hipsters.

TeegsD

DryEyeRelief said:
I thought after Spider-Man gets bitten, he stops wearing glasses and pocket protectors like the nerdy stereotype suggests. And then overnight, cleans up and looks like an everyman.

These guys don't look like ultra nerds:
http://i56.tinypic.com/ic8ccz.jpg[/IMG*]
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/24gta54.jpg[/IMG*]

So what's wrong with the movie look?[/QUOTE]

Where is that second peter parker from? Looks really damn young for a high school/college kid.

Bregor said:
They would fall at the same rate, he would be unable to catch up with her.
He wouldn't just let himself fall though, he'd propel himself so that his initial velocity would be higher than hers and then be able to catch her. Or slingshot himself down to catch her too.

DryEyeRelief said:
I thought after Spider-Man gets bitten, he stops wearing glasses and pocket protectors like the nerdy stereotype suggests. And then overnight, cleans up and looks like an everyman.

So what's wrong with the movie look?

The skinny jeans with cuffs and mismatched socks...most people don't dress like that. I don't have too much of a problem with his outfit but trying to pass off those things I just said as what the "everyman" wears is ridiculous

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I don't know. Walking around my college campus and i see a lot of people who kind of dress in that way. It doesn't look out of place to me at all, but i am only 20. People shouting hipster obviously don't know what's up.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's amusing that no one seems to have considered the possibility that the scene might've involved Spider-Garfield mistakenly putting on two different socks in a rush or something...

Either way, dude looks hot as all get-out sittin' there. I'd shingle his roof.

...I don't even know what that means.

pulga

Banned
SephCast said:
Hipsters look like more like this:

This Spider-man isn't a hipster. This literally is how kids dress nowadays. We're all old now. This Peter Parker is a 2001 Hipster.

Hipsters are bums?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
pulga said:
Hipsters are bums?

Yes. They are scummy and smelly and grimey as fuck. People just don't seem to understand what Hipster means. Hipster are basically modern hippies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MisterHero said:
do you react this way every time someone shares their preferences about a beloved character with a drastic aesthetic change?

how dare they, am i right?

My last post was a clear exaggeration as others probably were, but to point out that the costume is very different is something that shouldn't be suprising, no?

i was joking about the superman thing in general, and wasn't leveling that toward anyone who objects to the way peter is dressing as some kind of defense of the costume; it was an unrelated statement. of course there is a valid argument that the dress could be construed as too modern or as attempting to stab at something trendy or cool to be more appealing, but i don't see it as crossing that line in the least, so i joke and prod, yes.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
xxracerxx said:
Shorten the beard and remove the hat and you have an everday-man in Portland, OR.

I do agree with the top image though.
The homemade jorts that are cut 6" too short is what kills me everytime.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The Lamonster said:
awww seriously, Peter Parker with those hipster glasses? ughhhhh
You mean Ray-bans? Since when are Ray-bans hipster?

G-Fex said:
Ok I'm a nerd but come on that guy looks ridiculous.
He is wearing what looks like a fake beard.

DryEyeRelief said:
These guys don't look like ultra nerds:
ic8ccz.jpg

He was always doing/saying ultra-nerdy things and a tucked in fugly polo was 90s for "nerd".

Just because he doesn't have thick black glasses that magnify his eyes and hunch like Quazimoto doesn't mean he's not a nerd.

I love the animated series Peter, I wish they would've translated that to the big screen instead of this.

90s Parker was awkward, yeah. Spectacular one, not as much, he just seemed to get shit more than 'earn' it.

What's Ultimate Peter Parker like? He seems like a cool guy, designing websites, dating Kitty Pryde...

G-Fex

xxracerxx said:
You mean Ray-bans? Since when are Ray-bans hipster?

He is wearing what looks like a fake beard.

That makes it even worse.

Buckethead said:
He was always doing/saying ultra-nerdy things and a tucked in fugly polo was 90s for "nerd".

Just because he doesn't have thick black glasses that magnify his eyes and hunch like Quazimoto doesn't mean he's not a nerd.

I love the animated series Peter, I wish they would've translated that to the big screen instead of this.

So true. Course this was when he was an adult, back when they flashback to when he got bitten he was a thick glasses wearing nerd.

Yeah at least animated series peter was a smart aleck , witty bastard.

Toby is a downer, not funny, all around..not peter parker.

Replicant

Anastacio said:

Me too. They look perfect as Spidey and Gwen. Those who call them hipster are probably social outcast who don't know how people in general, esp. college students normally dress up. Or just really, really old people.

Replicant said:
Me too. They look perfect as Spidey and Gwen. Those who call them hipster are probably social outcast who don't know how people in general, esp. college students normally dress up. Or just really, really old people.
Wearing matching socks, holelesss clothes, and weather appropriate attire are all signs of social retardation? It's not even a major point, people are just cracking jokes, yet some of you are getting awfully offended over here.

"YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND YA OLD GEEZER!" Proclaimed the thirteen year old gaffer.

Angry Fork

xxracerxx said:
Has anyone been to Manhattan and the boroughs lately? Jesus christ people, this is how kids dress.
Peter isn't just any kid. Nerds don't dress like other kids because they don't care (and not in the "anti-establishment" don't care, nerds literally don't care). They'd rather focus on nerd stuff. The idea that Peter wears fashionable clothes that every other kid wears is not a nerdy characteristic. Based on this kids looks + clothes it's pretty much fact he's be at least semi-popular at school and have many girls attracted to him. That's not Peter Parker.

With that being said I don't really care THAT much, i'm not trying to get into some huge debate about it. I don't have much faith in this movie and I like other comic book characters more than Spiderman, but i'm just saying that look doesn't suit Peter imo at all.

reilo said:
Even worse is how everyone is throwing out the "hipster" label around here, yet I'm quite confident that I can say nobody on here knows what a hipster really is nor have they met one.

The way Andrew Garfield is dressed is pretty far removed from a "hipster".
About half of Brooklyn is hipster now so yea, they're around.

Lunchbox

Banned
this will be the batman and robin of the spiderman franchise

terrible casting of this hipster will kill the franchise and put it into exile for awhile

*looks at Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker pics, then looks at Spectacular Spidey pic*

Um...nobody else is gonna mention that they're wearing the exact same outfit minus the change in pants (from cargos to jeans)?

I think it looks fine. It's like people who were screaming about how Scott Pilgrim looks like a hipster when he's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

xxracerxx said:
Shorten the beard and remove the hat and you have an everday-man in Portland, OR.

Same here in Seattle.

Shit, get rid of the hat, trim the beard and put some Cuck Taylors on him and you've got me.

AlphaDragoon said:
*looks at Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker pics, then looks at Spectacular Spidey pic*

Um...nobody else is gonna mention that they're wearing the exact same outfit minus the change in pants (from cargos to jeans)?

I think it looks fine. It's like people who were screaming about how Scott Pilgrim looks like a hipster when he's wearing a t-shirt and jeans.
If wearing a shirt and jeans is not a deviant fashion statement, I don't know what is!

G-Fex

Lunchbox said:

terrible casting of this hipster will kill the franchise and put it into exile for awhile

Yeah, cause pale face guy in a black suit dancing like a jackass is the peak of the franchise.

AlphaDragoon said:

Truth is, if they made Garfield dress like how Parker did in the comics, there would be even more people complaining about him being a hipster:

freespidey2bullys.jpg

3930595401_697fe8489e_o.jpg

Lunchbox

Banned
G-Fex said:
Yeah, cause pale face guy in a black suit dancing like a jackass is the peak of the franchise.
the movie was terrible but atleast it drew money

if you wanna know how hipsters perform at the box office take a look at scott pilgrim numbers. general audience and normal people dont care about scum or watch their movies

nns3d

Lunchbox said:

I'm pretty sure alot of people felt like Spidey 3 was the Batman and Robin of the Spiderman movie franchise. It can't get any worse than that.

As for the casting, I'm not too huge on this guy. It's not really a clothes thing, I'm just too adjusted seeing Tobey on the screen as Spiderman.

Lunchbox said:

if you wanna know how hipsters perform at the box office take a look at scott pilgrim numbers. general audience and normal people dont care about scum or watch their movies

Spiderman is Spiderman, regardless of whatever trends the movie will still sell because the brand is still popular.

G-Fex

oh man, Parker sure is picked on a lot back then.

You know Pete and Yugi sure have a lot in common. Course Yugi got the shit beat out of him every week by bullies.

Garfield has really cool hair, lot of cool british dudes have cool hair like David Tennant.

Lunchbox said:

Hold on a second there Mister Box. I really doubt the reason that SP did bad was hipster related. It was probably bad marketing I don't know.

But this is completely different, 1) It's Spider-Man, it's new and different and it'll draw a lot of people seeing on how everyone was sick of Dunst/Mcguire and Spider-man 3 was the last straw.

2) This obviously won't be seen as hipster, it seems to play a little more towards what the young people are into now, (Twilight, more seriousness less cheese like other super hero movies like The Dark Knight).

Funtruck

Banned
Lunchbox said:

Yeah, a Spider-Man film is gonna do Scott Pilgrim numbers..

Funtruck said:
Yeah, a Spider-Man film is gonna do Scott Pilgrim numbers..

Don't bait him, he's been doing this since back when the Pilgrim film came out. Guy is like the Juggernaut of hipster hatred.

Of course, the mere comparison of Spider-Man and Scott Pilgrim in terms of box-office dollar is ludicrous, but that's obviously not what the argument is here >_>

Lunchbox said:

Wait, what? The people who watch Scott Pilgrim are scum?

MYE

Oh god the actor they chose for Spiderman has one of those punchable douch-heads!!!
erghmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..,.,

Lunchbox

Banned
Afrocentric-Asian said:
Spiderman is Spiderman, regardless of whatever trends the movie will still sell because the brand is still popular.

ofcourse it will do good numbers compared to other movies

but it'll probably pale in comparison to the toby mcguire ones. like how superman returns did well, but not well enough to call it a success

Lunchbox said:

but it'll probably pale in comparison to the toby mcguire ones. like how superman returns did well, but not well enough to call it a success

I could imagine it not doing as well as the Raimi movies but not because of some perceived "hipster" factor. Instead, because of the much lower budget, I don't think this movie will have the scope that the original trilogy did. Everything felt very large and important and the events were on a grandiose scale. This film on the other hand will probably feel less grand.

G-Fex

Lunchbox said:

Yeah that new Clark Kent was such a hipster, wearing his glasses ironically and that hair.

Not to mention those fucking tights and suit, must've gotten them from a thrift store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom