• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had originally planned to show some of what the Neo is at E3 but when they saw how MS was responding to the NEO leaks they decided let's not show it and let MS blow their load first. Expert Maneuver if you ask me. Now there is even more confusion about the Scorpio and it's no where near release.

reKon

Banned
The Scorpio announcement was clever, because it will give people considering buying a PSNeo pause for thought.

I know for a fact that I won't be buying an NX, a Neo, or anything else until I see what Scorpio can do. And if it's a graphical powerhouse, then it'll be the console for me because I care a lot about graphical fidelity.

EDIT: Beaten multiple times

My couch PC set up is incredible and is certainly an option if you truly care about graphical fidelity. I'll never truly understand this obsession because it had nothing to do with how good the gameplay is, unless there are significant frame rate drops.

There are games this gen that obviously look better than the last of us, yet TLoU is better than 99% of the games released this gen STILL...

Overwatch is not a graphical beast, yet the general consensus is that it's one of the most fun MP games you can play right now, even over Battlefront.

Just don't get how people can be all about graphics like that and even if you are.. build a custom gaming PC dude, lol. You save money and can use PS4 or Xbox controllers anyways...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I, too, prefer companies to keep me in the dark until the absolute last second regarding purchasing decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had originally planned to show some of what the Neo is at E3 but when they saw how MS was responding to the NEO leaks they decided let's not show it and let MS blow their load first. Expert Maneuver if you ask me. Now there is even more confusion about the Scorpio and it's no where near release.

Why show Neo now and ruin your sales? You're killing the competition in sales. You don't have to show off the neo until you're ready and it's set to be released. I doubt your scenario took place

Holy shit, Sony has learned some things. I didn't think they could learn.

Firstly, they understand that Apple knows way more than them about being a great products company.

Secondly, they realized that they have dropped the bomb in the past by announcing things at the wrong time, and then changing the details later.

Thirdly, they acknowledge that confirming rumors is good for setting fan expectations, and actually buys you time to finalize details for a later date.

I do find it ironic, though, that he is surprised that someone would announce something more than a year ahead of time, and they just showed off some Kojima "game" that we'll probably not see until 2019/2020.

Hardware vs software. Can't really compare. MS announced a console (Scorpio) that does not release until AFTER another announced console (Xbox One S) that HASN'T release yet! That is bad timing.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I, too, prefer companies to keep me in the dark until the absolute last second regarding purchasing decisions.

You might; all consumers might. But it's bad for their business. Sure, they can be nice but at what price? Losing customers?

I got that you were being ironic.

I just checked Amazon, and the 2TB Xbox-S console pre-orders are sold-out. Only thing available for pre-order were 1TB & 500GB. The Scorpio announcement doesn't seem to be hurting sales.

Freeman

Banned
The Scorpio announcement was clever, because it will give people considering buying a PSNeo pause for thought.

I know for a fact that I won't be buying an NX, a Neo, or anything else until I see what Scorpio can do. And if it's a graphical powerhouse, then it'll be the console for me because I care a lot about graphical fidelity.

EDIT: Beaten multiple times
Want to see what a neo can do? Buy a PC with a RX480.

I just checked Amazon, and the 2TB Xbox-S console pre-orders are sold-out. Only thing available for pre-order were 1TB & 500GB. The Scorpio announcement doesn't seem to be hurting sales.

In the US, at the month of relase, without knowing how many were availiable.

Why show Neo now and ruin your sales? You're killing the competition in sales. You don't have to show off the neo until you're ready and it's set to be released. I doubt your scenario took place

I'm not saying they planned it just taking advantage of the situation. Neo is/was rumored to be releasing late this year/early next year so they will probably start releasing information after the furor of the show dies down.

Boke1879

IT's a slim console. It was always going to get a boost. Amazon isn't the best indicator. I also think the 2TB launches first with the other models coming later.

Elios83

The reasons are that:

1)They don't want to hurt sales of PS4 since their console is selling well unlike the XB1.
2)Developers are working right now on the upgrades for the Neo versions of their games, especially for the upcoming holiday season lineup. They want to announce it with games showing actual differences to back it up to create meaningful hype.

J-Skee

Speaking of Neo & Scorpio, has any developer come out to say that any footage we saw was running from the current PS4? Because if that can achieve what we see in God of War & Horizon, then really, is having a Neo that important? Does this spec race really matter?

CCIE

Banned
If Neo is a decent price, I am locked in. If not, I'll see what Scorpio has to offer. I intend to buy one of the two as my "UHD player" - easy way to explain it to the wife. Actually the Neo would work better for her because I can continue to play the same games I bought on either the 4K TV upstairs, or in the theater room downstairs where the PS4 will move to at that time.

Now, the NX or Wii U is going to be a little bit harder to explain to her ;(

No, you are perfectly correct. If Sony did initiate the first move, they should have predicted that Microsoft would use the opportunity to launch an all-new system and end the stigma associated with Xbox One.

Has nobody at Sony ever read Zbigniew Brzezinski's The Grand Chessboard. You need to consider how the competition are going to react. What move are they planning to make in response.

It was obvious that Microsoft would attempt to undercut the Neo. I would expect nothing less from any competitor.

They weren't surprised at all, this is them riding the wave of confused PR by pushing their sunglasses back up and driving away one-handed with an arm resting on the window. Now everybody is expecting a fast turnaround between announcement and release, and Neo is being talked about again. It's masterfully played.

Oh its obvious it was the right decision by Microsoft. They are dominating the news headlines. Sony executives are being asked to comment on it. Sonygaf is in full prevent defense trying to turn PR statements into messaging scandals. I think Beyonce said it best...

"You know you that b*tch when you cause all this conversation"
-Beyonce

tim ... dog?

That 'all publicity is good publicity' saying? It's not actually true.

nillapuddin

I dont understand,

Sony confirms Neo was a real thing in press releases last week and didnt confirm any specs or release date.

But because MS confirms it on stage and gives a target ship date and specs they are stupid.

?

I just feel like the Neo confirmation is the exact same thing, is there 10 pages of arguing whether or not it should have been on stage, cause thats the only thing that makes sense.

CCIE

Banned
All footage we saw at the conference is running on current PS4 according to the developers. Jstevens even confirmed on the Spidey thread

VinFTW

I can't believe people are defending this shit lol

Consoles are not phones, I'd need to know whether or not invest in one now rather than later when it just COMES OUT.

I don't know why we went from "please no phone cycle for consoles" to "Sony are geniuses, please don't tell me in advance when your $400+ console drops!".

Like, I have bills mang. I need to figure out my finances lol

NHale

Andrew House is being a little naive if he really believes a entirely new platform (which Neo and Scorpio doesn't seem to be) can be sold without a bunch of marketing before which you need at least .

But now we know Sony will go towards the "available now" or "starting next month" approach. It makes sense because they want to limit the drop in PS4Poor purchases after they announce the Master Version.

So the question now is if they return to Gamescom or will they make the announcement in a dedicated conference just for this.

Im not talking about Scorpio. There was Rumor that Neo would be out on Q1 2017.

I'm exexpecting Sony to talk about it this year, and release this year, within a month of release even.
With the PS3 Slim. They announced it at Gamescom and released very quickly after.

That's what Sony needs to do so that PS4K announcement doesn't eat PS4 sales. There's little reason to give months of announcement.

reKon

Banned
I dont understand,

Sony confirms Neo was a real thing in press releases last week and didnt confirm any specs or release date.

But because MS confirms it on stage and gives a target ship date and specs they are stupid.

?

I just feel like the Neo confirmation is the exact same thing, is there 10 pages of arguing whether or not it should have been on stage, cause thats the only thing that makes sense.

There's a lot of confusion going around because Microsoft's PR is not being exactly clear on details regarding the consoles capabilities and the implications that it brings to future games. By them announcing it, people are interested so they want to know accurate details and hold off on their future purchases (which may include holding off on the Xbox One S if they already have an Xbox One).

ShapeGSX

I'm exexpecting Sony to talk about it this year, and release this year, within a month of release even.
With the PS3 Slim. They announced it at Gamescom and released very quickly after.

That's what Sony needs to do so that PS4K announcement doesn't eat PS4 sales. There's little reason to give months of announcement.

They've already announced it. It was "announced" the moment it leaked. At that moment, I decided to wait to buy one. It's already eating PS4 sales.

Whether or not it's at a big conference with flashy lights means nothing.

Freeman

Banned

Consoles are not phones, I'd need to know whether or not invest in one now rather than later when it just COMES OUT.

I don't know why we went from "please no phone cycle for consoles" to "Sony are geniuses, please don't tell me in advance when your $400+ console drops!".

No one want to wait one and half years for anything, rightly so.

Boke1879

I dont understand,

?

Not at all. MS went on stage with nothing but a video of people talking. They didn't show anything about what the console can do. At this point it really doesn't even exist. Sony wants to unveil the console when they have games to show running on it.

Now MS is answering questions and their PR is all over the damn place. Sony who hasn't even revealed the console yet seems to be on point with their messaging. Huge difference.

Boke1879

Well you don't have to upgrade. That's the beauty of this whole thing.

icespide

Banned
Not at all. MS went on stage with nothing but a video of people talking. They didn't show anything about what the console can do. At this point it really doesn't even exist. Sony wants to unveil the console when they have games to show running on it.

Now MS is answering questions and their PR is all over the damn place. Sony who hasn't even revealed the console yet seems to be on point with their messaging. Huge difference.
I don't really think showing games running on the neo is what they're waiting for. the differences aren't going to be night and day

Xenus

They've already announced it. It was "announced" the moment it leaked. At that moment, I decided to wait to buy one. It's already eating PS4 sales.

Whether or not it's at a big conference with flashy lights means nothing.

At a conference with big flashy lights certainly means something. I doubt little Jimmy's mother has heard about Neo even with the internet age and information being more prevalent. Meanwhile little Jimmy's mother might have heard about scorpio even if she doesn't know what it means as it was announced at a conference with big flashy lights and tons of media coverage.

Internet gaming forums are the place conferences with big flashy lights are the least needed.

icespide

Banned
this notion of giving people enough time to "save" for a new console is real weird to me. you don't have to buy it on day one

Broank

Didn't Apple just show a bunch of stuff that won't be availible till like October the same day though?

Not really available now (except to developers which was also the reason MS said they wanted to get Scorpio out there now)

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it or inherently better. Hell games get teases sometimes 4 or 5 years before they come out.

icespide

Banned
Didn't Apple just show a bunch of stuff that won't be availible till like October though?

Not really available now (except to developers which was also the reason MS said they wanted to get Scorpio out there now)

the stuff apple announced at WWDC are all free software updates, nothing you have to buy

THE:MILKMAN

Sure. As long as retailers know about this long enough before release, which means info would be out there which means high risk for leaks.

I don't remember any retail issues with the two PS3 slims or PS2 slim. All announced roughly a month before release.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well I'm sorry dude, I have $140k in school loans to pay off, I don't want a $400+ Fucking console dropped on me with a months notice.

Like, are you joking? Lol

This is really the angle you're going with? You ain't got spending money therefore it's best to announce something that's a year and a half out?

Your situation doesn't apply to everyone and you don't have to buy in day one. What a silly train of thought.

0racle

I see his point but I respect microsoft on being transparent. We deserve the right to make informed purchases. If anything announcing a new console and releasing it without warning is pulling the rug from under us.

Customers can now decide what product they want and if its worth the wait. And the end of the day micrsoft gets their money. Just not this moment by douping customers by releasing something new tomorrow.

Kudos to microsoft. And a slight meh to sony.

And for the record im a HUGE sony fan.

So what is worse? Letting your fanbase know we do have a new console coming in a year at the risk of potentially loosing sales to current systems

OR

Giving a behind the scenes interview where you say yes we have another console coming but don't mention any kind of timing to your fanbase so you can still sell current consoles and those unaware in the foreseeable future would be non-the-wiser?

The later certainly makes more business sense... but I would be really irked if I bought a PS4 in Sept. and then found out later at Paris Game Show or PSX that the NEO was launching in a month or two.

I personally think enough buzz has been made about the NEO that the people who care for it, House's so-called "iPad Pro" audience, knows it is there and coming soon. Certainly what you brought up is a very real concern for a consumers, and we've been through in every phone cycle since 2011. This might be a historical first for consoles (expanding the home console product group) but I feel the consumer base is savvy enough to the existence of a ps4 pro version.

Tigress

Being smart and not being nice to the consumer are not mutually exclusive. Sony is being smart by not revealing it too soon and causing PS4 sales to drop. That doesn't mean it's great for you though. But, in the end the company is going to do what is best for it. And if you really think they are being nice to you when they do something without some reason they feel it is the best choice for them, you are naive. The only times they do nice things for the consumer is if they feel the PR for doing such will get them more sales in the long run (or even short run) than not doing the nice thing. Sometimes companies are short sightd and just go for whatever gets them the best thing in the short run (no one said they are smart about it. In fact that's exactly what we are arguing here, MS is not being smart about it for their interests, Sony is).

Honestly, I think it's silly to hold whether they gave you advanced notice or not against them. That's why you decide when you buy something if it is worth it vs. what you might be able to afford later (is this worth it to give up being able to buy something later). Not just buy something cause you happen to have the money then. I think that is partly a failure of people to not use money just cause they happen to have some at the moment (I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this. But I try to be wise about my money spenditure so I don't buy something I find was not worth it later. At least then if something comes out that I can't afford I am not wishing I had the money from some silly purchase I didn't even get much out of earlier. Just sometimes impatience gets the best of me - like I really should wait til Fallout VR comes out to decide which VR solution I want but I really don't want to give up my PSVR, especially now as there has been one game announced I'm really interested in. And maybe there's a small chance that Fallout VR will come out for PS Neo <- I don't think so though as I get the impression Neo would probably still not be enough).

Tommy DJ

That angle is really confusing because a console isn't a necessity lmao. You don't even need to get it launch day. Because it launches within a months notice doesn't mean you lose all faculties required to save money.

The only difference if you miss out on launch day, which apparently means a lot to some people I guess.

Boke1879

I see his point but I respect microsoft on being transparent. We deserve the right to make informed purchases. If anything announcing a new console and releasing it without warning is pulling the rug from under us.

Customers can now decide what product they want and if its worth the wait. And the end of the day micrsoft gets their money. Just not this moment by douping customers by releasing something new tomorrow.

How about this. If you have the money to buy it day one then do so. If not. Wait until you do. The NEO isn't going to be off the market in one day.

VinFTW

This is really the angle you're going with? You ain't got spending money therefore it's best to announce something that's a year and a half out?

Your situation doesn't apply to everyone and you don't have to buy in day one. What a silly train of thought.
Who said anything about a year and a half? Just use the traditional method of announcing consoles that we've been using since for fucking ever

Of course I don't HAVE to, but I'm a gaming enthusiast, I WANT to.

Tristax

Neo Member

Finally. I've been so confused reading this thread. Never thought I'd see the internet slamming a company over transparency but here we are.

synce

I don't think it was any different than what Sony did. Only hardcore gamers are going to know about Scorpio or Neo. They're not going to lose any more sales than Sony will.

Top Bottom