• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

Alienfan

I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time

"which is why we decided to announce Kojima's new game 4 years ahead of time" :p

Yeah it was a strange decision to announce it so early, but the Apple comparison is weak as they can afford to do those "available now" announcements because they don't have to worry about developers making games for their systems. Not sure it's really going to make a huge difference to the Xbox One sales in the short term, at least not anymore than the Neo and rumoured NX will impact the sales of their respected consoles. We have almost as much information on the other two consoles as we do on the Scorpio, and the Neo seems to be getting a similar amount of media attention as well. Plus MS don't have as much to lose looking at the current X1 sales numbers

Gestault

I'm coming into the conversation here a bit late, but the question comes to mind:

Aren't a lot of game hardware announcements roughly a year in advance?

FFS, their big holiday 1st party game released was a 2nd party remaster of the Uncharted games. Until Dawn released in late August.
I don’t think many would agree with you it’s been lacking because this notion that for first party games to matter it has to be in the Holiday season is asinine. What matters it the quality of the games, not release dates. Sony does partnerships with 3rd party during Holiday seasons and often times, the games benefit from having more spotlight in slower months.

What’s lacking about the output man? DriveClub has a very nice fanbase and people love that game. Just because initial reviews and perception writes it off doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a place in PS library. It’s an important game actually, and is currently being used as measuring stick to even Gran Turismo. Sony has the best Baseball game as an exclusive. Second son was one of my favorite games on PS for a while. Until dawn and Blood Borne are amazing, neither released in the Holiday. Indy support is much stronger on PS with stuff like Transistor and Resogun being more fun than a bunch of cookie-cutter AAA releases. I just don’t get why it’s Sony’s game that have to show up at some arbitrary schedule dictated by the whims of fans? 3rd party support is strong on PS, Sony can release all of their games, when they are good and ready. Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Heroes, Rigs, Rez, and VR headset, SFV, Vaklyria Chronicles, Gravity rush and it’s sequel, there’s always something good coming to PS like every month. Sony’s games never really defined the console, it was always a third party machine first and foremost. Now that Sony’s studios have released some high quality stuff doesn’t mean they are Nintendo and need to define their platform every year. They are still the home of third party partners.

I just don’t get you guys, its crazy how much content is coming.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Neo this year, then, given the Apple remarks.

Exciting.

Guessed as much. Judging by the reactions to their E3 show, it was the right call.

People wouldn't have been so positive if they were still expecting Neo to be revealed.

Nah. I reckon they'll announce it officially at PSX, release in March. Neo and VR shouldn't clash.

Cromwell

Banned
FFVII Remake and Shenmue 3 are still several years away, God of War is at least a year 1/2 away, the Kojima project also at least 2 years away, the list goes on. House is kinda full of shit.

farisr

FFVII Remake and Shenmue 3 are still several years away, God of War is at least a year 1/2 away, the Kojima project also at least 2 years away, the list goes on. House is kinda full of shit.
There's a difference between software and hardware.

Announcing a game is in development that's still far away does not take sales away from existing software on the market that may be releasing right now or up until the release of said game.

Announcing that 17-18 months from now. a brand new console is being released that's about 4 times as powerful as the current console in the market is a totally different matter. Not to mention the rate at which tech improves, it seems a little weird announcing specs/expected performance a year and a half in advance. That's the whole point.

I imagine MS were someone forced by the release of the XBOS.

Look how upset everybody is that MS & Sony are releasing an update after only 3-4 years instead of 7. Imagine people buying the S for 4k whatever, and then finding out there's a new, even more 4K XBox just a year later. MS wouldn't want to be burning all the people buying the S. So they have to make people aware of the Scorpio now, so people who would rather hold out for Scorpio can.

cakely

Game software != game console.

For others in the thread:

Game accessory also != game console.

e-gamer

"which is why we decided to announce Kojima's new game 4 years ahead of time" :p

Yeah it was a strange decision to announce it so early, but the Apple comparison is weak as they can afford to do those "available now" announcements because they don't have to worry about developers making games for their systems. Not sure it's really going to make a huge difference to the Xbox One sales in the short term, at least not anymore than the Neo and rumoured NX will impact the sales of their respected consoles. We have almost as much information on the other two consoles as we do on the Scorpio, and the Neo seems to be getting a similar amount of media attention as well. Plus MS don't have as much to lose looking at the current X1 sales numbers

This.

And I think 4 years is enough for Kojima make the demo of his game...

Cromwell

Banned
There's a difference between software and hardware.

Announcing a game is in development that's still far away does not take sales away from existing software on the market that may be releasing right now or up until the release of said game.

Announcing that 17-18 months from now. a brand new console is being released that's about 4 times as powerful as the current console in the market is a totally different matter. Not to mention the rate at which tech improves, it seems a little weird announcing specs/expected performance a year and a half in advance. That's the whole point.

He was talking about "immediate gratification" in general terms, and the presentation of Scorpio was 100% in terms of how developers are going to utilize it and why other developers should get interested in it's potential. There wasn't even a price point. The general consumer will have no idea what it even is come Christmas.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can't help but feel Microsoft rushed the announcement to try and one up Sony. The ball is totally in Sony's court now that Microsoft showed their hand over a year early.

The point of contention here is one of optics. For Andrew House it's easy to knock on the competition when they're down. But let's not forget folks, that consoles are alive and well. Xbox One is selling better than Xbox 360 was selling this time in its own lifecycle.

The PS4 is selling like hotcakes and that's why we all think MS is down and out. Admittedly it is weird that MS announced 2 consoles and that the Scorpio won't be out until late next year. But it's only weird because of the optics. It seems like Spencer & Co. are doing this rash thing by announcing Scorpio so far out only because they are second in the console race, only because seemingly they're scrambling for a semblance of life after PS Neo rumours blew up.

But let us all remember that it was Spencer who initially announced that a new update of the hardware may be on the way. What if it was Sony announcing that PS Neo would release in late 2017? I doubt some of you here on Gaf would posts all this doom and gloom stuff like many of ya'll are slinging at MS.

I admit that by announcing Scorpio so soon it may deflate MS's announcements and be the topic of discussion from now until the box is revealed and discussed further. It has certainly swept under the rug the fact that once again for holiday 2016 Xbox will have the most 1st and 2nd party exclusives.

Inside, Cuphead, ReCore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2 and all the 3rd party stuff that Sony is getting as well. PS4 is my main gaming machine as I use my Xbox One for exclusives only, but compared to Sony's 1st party offerings MS has Sony beat. What's Sony got? The Last Guardian, GT Sport, PSVR. In terms of 1st/2nd party softwate, arguably for the 3rd year in a row MS is king.

The point I'm trying to make is that by announcing Scorpio, Spencer & Co. have rendered some of their bigger accomplishments software wise, moot.

Is this a new meme I missed ?

I can't help but feel Microsoft rushed the announcement to try and one up Sony. The ball is totally in Sony's court now that Microsoft showed their hand over a year early.

Somewhat. It's not like they can go back to the drawing board now and redesign Neo completely. There wouldn't be enough time.

All they can do now is make alterations to the design they have to make it closer to Scorpio.

Many here on Gaf actually have useful things to say. Thoughtful posts that they actually think about what to say before posting.

Some folks not so much. SDF out in full force seemingly.

Having said that...

OxNhvia.jpg

Phamit

Microsoft is in a quiet different Situation than Apple with their IPhone.

With Scorpion coming everyone knows there is hardware coming from MS with VR in mind, they know the specs. It's risky but could end up with good software support

krioto

Many here on Gaf actually have useful things to say. Thoughtful posts that they actually think about what to say before posting.

Having said that...

OxNhvia.jpg

so ps4 has no games, and following it up with an sdf comment - maybe it is best that you are 'out' as you seem far too invested in this (whatever this is).

Cidd

Somewhat. It's not like they can go back to the drawing board now and redesign Neo completely. There wouldn't be enough time.

All they can do now is make alterations to the design they have to make it closer to Scorpio.

It amaze me how some act like they work for Sony engineering to know these things.

We got leaked specs from devs kits, we still know nothing about the final product.

Quazar

He was talking about "immediate gratification" in general terms, and the presentation of Scorpio was 100% in terms of how developers are going to utilize it and why other developers should get interested in it's potential. There wasn't even a price point. The general consumer will have no idea what it even is come Christmas.

Indeed. People buying consoles now in these consoles lifecycles are not following e3....lol

The point of contention here is one of optics. For Andrew House it's easy to knock on the competition when they're down. But let's not forget folks, that consoles are alive and well. Xbox One is selling better than Xbox 360 was selling this time in its own lifecycle.

The PS4 is selling like hotcakes and that's why we all think MS is down and out. Admittedly it is weird that MS announced 2 consoles and that the Scorpio won't be out until late next year. But it's only weird because of the optics. It seems like Spencer & Co. are doing this rash thing by announcing Scorpio so far out only because they are second in the console race, only because seemingly they're scrambling for a semblance of life after PS Neo rumours blew up.

But let us all remember that it was Spencer who initially announced that a new update of the hardware may be on the way. What if it was Sony announcing that PS Neo would release in late 2017? I doubt some of you here on Gaf would posts all this doom and gloom stuff like many of ya'll are slinging at MS.

I admit that by announcing Scorpio so soon it may deflate MS's announcements and be the topic of discussion from now until the box is revealed and discussed further. It has certainly swept under the rug the fact that once again for holiday 2016 Xbox will have the most 1st and 2nd party exclusives.

Inside, Cuphead, ReCore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2 and all the 3rd party stuff that Sony is getting as well. PS4 is my main gaming machine as I use my Xbox One for exclusives only, but compared to Sony's 1st party offerings MS has Sony beat. What's Sony got? The Last Guardian, GT Sport, PSVR. In terms of 1st/2nd party softwate, arguably for the 3rd year in a row MS is king.

The point I'm trying to make is that by announcing Scorpio, Spencer & Co. have rendered some of their bigger accomplishments software wise, moot.

Bad attempt at list wars.

You listed ever MS 1st party game at the show while conveniently leaving out 6/8 of the exclusive games shown (God of War, Death Stranding, Horizon, Spiderman, Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human).

Anyways don't know what any of that has to do with this thread. Not sure why you're taking House's comments as "knock the competition when they're down". House was simply explaining the reasons why they confirmed Neo but didn't reveal it.

CLEEK

Apple really do announces in the best way.

I will love to see PS4 Neo announce with "available now".

That's didn't work out so great for Sega when they pulled this with the Saturn during the first E3.

At least with Apple, the products are annual updates and released the same time each year. Game consoles are a different beast, and Sony's channel partners rely so much on pre-orders that I doubt they'd be happy to have to forgo those so that Sony could do a surprise release.

Having said that...

OxNhvia.jpg

Dude you're the one who said Sony hasn't had good exclusive games in comparison to MS.

Driveclub
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
Killzone SF
Order 1886
Infamous
Until Dawn
TLoU (Remastered but still)
Knack
MLB
FF

Need I go on? Not even included the games shown at this E3 and those or just off the top of my head.

Even if you were to say that 3/4 of those games were top drawer, awesome experiences, that's still a big deal.

meanspartan

They just better announce full Neo details before PSVR, if not a full release.

IMO, releasing PSVR only to then release a new console you need to buy to have the "true" experience on (aside from launch titles) without it running like garbage is shitty.

If this is coming out this fall, it should have been at E3.

Dinjooh

Bad attempt at list wars.

You listed ever MS 1st party game at the show while conveniently leaving out 6/8 of the exclusive games shown (God of War, Death Stranding, Horizon, Spiderman, Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human).

Anyways don't know what any of that has to do with this thread. Not sure why you're taking House's comments as "knock the competition when they're down". House was simply explaining the reasons why they confirmed Neo but didn't reveal it.

I think he was trying to list games coming in 2016. Only of course, ignoring that Sony releases games during the whole year.

KOCMOHABT

it's ironic then that basically most of the PS4 games that were announced are really far out and some don't even have a release date set.

In comparison Xbox was not as exciting and fresh, but basically all the stuff shown had release dates and these weren't 2 years in the future.

It amaze me how some act like they work for Sony engineering to know these things.

We got leaked specs from devs kits, we still know nothing about the final product.

All I need to know is that it takes longer than a year to engineer a video game console from the ground up, which was the example I gave in my post.

The ball may be in Sony's court, but they have an base outline for the Neo that they're going to need to stick with and can't stray too far from.

VillageBC

I think part of the strategy Microsoft is to attempt to blunt the PS4 Neo launch. Similar to how Sony hyped the PS2 power while it's competitors were launching consoles. It gives people a reason to hold off the NX and PS4Neo as an actual console upgrade is nearly here.

Time will tell how this pans out for them.

Not even close to the same thing. People aren't making exclusive games for Scorpio. They're making Xbox One games that'll have extra benefits on Scorpio. There will be a ton of PSVR exclusive VR games at launch and many more to come. Sony needed to get it out there early to show developers that people are interested in VR and get them developing something different for it. Only a few games like Resident Evil 7 will be fully playable with and without VR.

gtj1092

it's ironic then that basically most of the PS4 games that were announced are really far out and some don't even have a release date set.

In comparison Xbox was not as exciting and fresh, but basically all the stuff shown had release dates and these weren't 2 years in the future.

Because those Xbox games were announced 2 years ago. Do people's memories really only go as far as two days ago?

And are we really citing the Saturn launch to claim NEO will fail. E3 week is crazy lol.

Steroyd

If this was a "next gen" console I'd somewhat understand in talking about its potential, but it's a premium Xbox One upgrade... I think? So there's only so much they can actually do outside of it being more VR friendly.

anothertech

Indeed it seems!

Wow it really is 2013 part II! I haven't seen this many 'sdf' mentions since MrX, dam son.

I have to hand it to Sony though. Since 2013 they have played their cards hand after hand, just btch slapping their competition silly.

And it seems they just did it again. They couldn't be in a better place with the gaming world watching for their next move.

It's like they goated MS into calling their bluff early, and MS straight up fell for it.

Ice cold Sony. Ice cold.

Wheatly

Scalebound and Gears of War were announced years ago. Then Forza was somewhat expected and I guess Dead Rising was a surprise. It would have benefited their conference to announce something they are working on in the future.

Having said that...

OxNhvia.jpg

aaand banned

really think people should stop with the "ball is in X's court" comments.

it's silly.

scorpio and neo, as some have pointed out, are taking different roads and as long as sony keeps bringing the software that i like i won't care too much about power differences.

I thought it was a bit flat to mention the new hardware but have nothing to show but cheesy interviews of people saying how awesome it is, and the beloved tech buzzword of the summer "Teraflops" tossed around a few times.

It's caught my interest but did not leave an impact. The Xbox One S was a much more interesting announcement.

Ihyll

Is that why sony decided to show the final fantasy remake and Shenmue last year? Both games, at the time, were 2-3 years from being released.

I don't think it was that bad of a decision on Microsoft's part to announce their upgraded console ... they have to keep their consumers excited and looking forward to something.

Chuckman

I enjoyed their Project Scorpio announcement. I don't think it was too early. In the mean time they have the Xbox One S. I think it's cool they are being transparent and are talking about it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Is that why sony decided to show the final fantasy remake and Shenmue last year? Both games, at the time, were 2-3 years from being released.

I don't think it was that bad of a decision on Microsoft's part to announce their upgraded console ... they have to keep their consumers excited and looking forward to something.

You announce software early because you want your audience to know you're dedicated to your hardware. If no publisher announced games other than "they're available now" how would you know what's coming? How would they engage with the consumer? Look at movies: we know that Star Wars IX is coming 2019. Will that cause people to not see VIII or stop people going to the cinema?

Also, do you seriously think that kickstarters shouldn't be announced until closer to release? Eh? You do remember that Shenmue is a Kickstarter, right?

SwolBro

Banned
Sony really are head and shoulders above Microsoft in terms of PR aren't they?
I.
I dunno, they have a knack for showing games 5+ years away from being released. I don't see how that's good PR but then again not many people rip them for that.

There's a double standard. And that's not conspiracy theory bullshit either. Microsoft has never been able to shake off their anti-trust days. People love to hate them so they have to work much harder to create good PR but only have to do very little to usher in a shit storm of bad PR.

icespide

Banned
I dunno, they have a knack for showing games 5+ years away from being released. I don't see how that's good PR but then again not many people rip them for that.

There's a double standard. And that's not conspiracy theory bullshit either. Microsoft has never been able to shake off their anti-trust days. People love to hate them so they have to work much harder to create good PR but only have to do very little to usher in a shit storm of bad PR.
5 years away? I think you're exaggerating a bit there

5 years away? I think you're exaggerating a bit there

Technically, TLG was announced 7,5 years before launch...

But comparing software announcements to hardware announcements, that's apples and oranges. You can announce games basically anytime, that won't stop anyone buying the games available right now. And if some "specialists" buy a console immediatelly after the first announcements, the better for them (looks at those who bought a PS3 for TLG).

wapplew

Show game early could convince someone to buy your console immediately regardless of the game actually release date, it boost your console install base.
Show new console early do the opposite, they can't buy that early, only make them hold off for Xbox one S.

Top Bottom