• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House surprised by timing of Project Scorpio announcement

GHG

i wonder what peoples reactions will be if Sony takes awhile to reveal the console and it ends up being weaker than the Scorpio.

They won't care.

They will be too busy buying it instead of discussing PR fuck ups.

If Microsoft had done an "out now" thing with the Scorpio we would already be seeing how it will make a difference to games and I probably would have bought one for FH3 later this year. No PR bullshit needed. No PR fuckups to be had.

I don't understand how people can't see this. If you have anything concrete to show, shut up.

It's funny that Sony is now in the position of arguing that tech should be announced closer to release given they got their start by taking advantage of Sega doing that exact thing.

dh4niel

I wouldn't of even mentioned the Scorpio until there was actually something to show. People are more likely to wait for the Scorpio now instead off picking up an Xbox One S.

Dinjooh

Yes, the only thing that I like in Sony approach is that at least they show you the game in a funcional way but waiting for two years is quite a lot. Kojima's project is worst offender though but at least I knew beforehand that they had nothing so I bought the trailer for what it was, besides the man is insane in a good way.

There was a guy in the Giant Bomb Live that speculated and said that the Kojima project that he showed was one big analogy for the whole situation that Kojima had been in. The shackles that had been broken, the baby that was taken away from him.

I like to think of it as Kojima just announcing that he's back making games, rather than taking it as 'omg when is this gonna come out?'.

Are we sure that the Neo is coming out this year? Or are we just going on speculation cause of rumors?

Everything points to it coming this year. We don't have any reason to expect it in 2017.

Ugh, yes? When you start to attempt to get into specifics about the console while obfuscating the message, you're fucking up. Simply stating the Neo exists cannot be interpreted any other way, as opposed to the answers we've been receiving regarding the Scorpio.

Scorpio is spec'd the way it is based on what microsoft was told they needed in the box for devs to hit 4k and VR. If devs don't want to do 4k that's fine too. What's there to be confused about?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
"I was surprised by the step of announcing something over a year ahead of time," House said, talking to The Guardian about Scorpio's reveal. "The dynamics of the tech industry are such that there's a much heavier emphasis on immediate gratification than there was.

Considering half the stuff you announced last year won't be out for another 5 months or more this is an immensely ironic statement.

Cornbread78

When's PSX? I wouldn't be surprised to see an "available this week" announcement there.

It will be before the holiday shopping season or after it, not during it. Just imagine the giant $hitstorm by parents wanting to trade-in/return their standard PS4 they just bought for a newer model just after launch. That and Sony would miss out on Black Friday sales without a clear message ahead of time.... It's late Oct/ early Nov with a sharp discount on standard model, or well after the holidays...

J-Skee

This is real? This is real...

Meanwhile in real life, Phil is just confusing everyone with bad PR. Sonys conference is winning best of e3 across the web. Zelda is blowing up social media, and people are actually discussing games coming to PS.

Now that you put it like that, has there any real discussions in regards to the games that Microsoft showed during their conference? I haven't seen much on Gears, State of Decay 2, Scalebound or ReCore (still excited about this myself).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Maybe Sony should take that approach when they announce their games too.

I think there's also some advantages in announcing Scorpio so early. For example the current situation, we have one year of time to let Xbox know that there's no point in releasing the most powerful console if all that console will do is play Xbox One games in 4K.

prwxv3

Considering half the stuff you announced last year won't be out for another 5 months or more this is an immensely ironic statement.

Hardware and shortware are completely different. Not to mention that S3 is a Kickstarter so it needs to be announced early for it to exist.

4Tran

House was right. A 18-month lead time is too long between formal announcement and release. And really, if you're not ready to hand out a fact sheet on what goes into your product and be willing to market it heavily from that point on, then it's better to be quiet than to speak out. Except don't do it like Nintendo is doing with NX - that'd be a terrible idea.

Is what Microsoft did really that much different from what House did in confirming the Neo?
Are we hearing mixed messages about Neo? If not, then yeah, it's an enormous difference.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
i wonder what peoples reactions will be if Sony takes awhile to reveal the console and it ends up being weaker than the Scorpio.

Unless it also takes a while after Scorpio's release for it to actually come out, it's a bit less relevant if it's not as powerful.

They can announce now whenever they wish, without going up against a competing announcement from MS. A significantly different schedule to MS will show them marching to a different drum where a direct spec comparison has to be qualified by schedule differences. They can also take longer now to polish their positioning and message, and to exploit any problems they see MS falling into with their own messaging.

I think the whole reason MS announced Scorpio when they did was in expectation of a Neo announcement that ultimately didn't really come.

I think it was best to wait as well. I don't even know where they would have put it in there conference. They didn't have time for presenters to awkwardly banter. I love hardware announcements but the conference showed the PS4 has plenty of potential and PS VR has compelling software.

Boke1879

Is what Microsoft did really that much different from what House did in confirming the Neo?

difference. Sony didn't dedicate stage time to it. They'll reveal when it's ready and release it soon after. MS announced what is basically still a dream and saying it's coming out next fall.

Also just look at some of the threads. MS and their messaging is STILL all over the place.

Gaogaogao

microsoft wants people to know scorpio is faster. especially if sony doesnt show, this gets in people's heads that maybe don't get a neo, instead get a scorpio.

Illucio

Banned
It was the right decision for Sony to confirm it wasn't being announced. It was the right move in my opinion.

Look where Microsoft is at right now with the Scorpio announcement, they raised more questions not about their console, but how they're handling customers, developers, and whether their choice to announce but not only to make the Scorpio is a good decision in the long run. Which so far my reaction has been negative, most people are neutral and want to see where this goes, and very VERY few people are positive about it and if they are it's mostly because they just see this as "choice isn't bad."

If you watch Microsoft's conference they spent the whole conference setting up for the Scorpio and they chose their words so wisely in hopes for no negative reaction or anyone to misinterpret what their selling as something that is bad.

But how I view that is, why is a company trying so hard to prevent that reaction? Yes the DRM on the Xbox One reveal damaged them badly so it's understandable for them to do that. But it's much rather they knew that the Scorpio is somewhat of a bad idea and can be viewed that way and was very careful so they didn't have to get a huge blow to them.

It's easier to say "I did this for good reasons for the consumers" Rather then say "I did this for good reasons for our company."

I said this during the DRM Xbox One fiasco and I will say it now. It's fucking terrifying how much one video game market leader has on the whole game industry. And it's fucking terrifying how much impact we gamers have on which direction it goes.

Microsoft needs to lose this mindset of "we should be the only company you should be buying games from" mentality. Yes their conference was okay level, but this conference in particular has showed me that I should never buy their products because their not trustworthy. They can have the nicest or coolest CEO ever, but they still have learned nothing about this industry and what people expect out of them. And that's fucking pathetic.

Freeman

Banned
Are we sure that the Neo is coming out this year? Or are we just going on speculation cause of rumors?

Going by rumors. Makes the most sense also, get it on the market before the holidays. Bold Sony estimates for PS4 sales this fiscal year as well(20m+ I think).

microsoft wants people to know scorpio is faster, so especially if sony doesnt show, this gets in people's heads that, maybe don't get a neo, instead get a scorpio.

But it also told people "don't bother buying the Xbox One S we just announced 30 minutes ago"

Sjefen

Its pretty clear why MS announced it now, because they know Neo is coming in October. its a pre emptive strike saying we have the most powerful (coming in 2017), "so dont buy Sony's underpowered new console this year." Its a very offensive and bold strategy that can easily backfire. Sony will have a very powerful console on the market for a full year, potentially selling millions and having all the devs on board with a huge PS4 install base. Pricing of the scorpio must be very good to counter the PS4 neo, because I see Sony dropping the price for Neo next year(if it sell good)As for software Sony is really going full steam ahead with many new ips, while MS is still relying on the same franchises, which doesnt have the same sale numbers as they used too.

THE:MILKMAN

If you want Phil criticized Sony for showing games without a release window.
https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/15/xb...-doing-a-better-job-shipping-more-exclusives/

To be fair I think Sony are just starting to address this problem I think. This gen a lot/most of Sony's big games have had delays compounded by being revealed very early.

Watching Geoff Keighley interview all the devs with games in the conference and all were very firm in not giving a date. Not even a hint of year.

Hopefully by next E3 they'll have this issue sorted.

Sydle

You know these guys probably all know what is going on with each other before they officially announce stuff right? They are both using the same developers, the same hardware company, being made in the same countries usually by the same big companies. I imagine Sony know how to show Neo off now that MS have managed to say 10 different things and go back on them about Scorpio.

Doesn't change the fact that House said he was caught off guard by the announcement. He probably thought they had this year to position Neo without any mention of Scorpio. Now he's probably having rethink how to position Neo's value prop, which he probably already revealed when he said he wanted to wait until there were more games to show.

Let's not exaggerate. Phil's E3 conference and the presser they released about their vision are in line. The only thing that brought up question mark is around what he said in that Eurogamer interview.

Zaptruder

Banned
Sony: 'I'm surprised that Microsoft is so desperate that they have to announce the thing rather than using the tried and tested controlled leak strategy to get the benefits of reactions and flexibility of responding to them without appearing weak.'

VinFTW

It was the right decision for Sony to confirm it wasn't being announced. It was the right move in my opinion.

Look where Microsoft is at right now with the Scorpio announcement, they raised more questions not about their console, but how they're handling customers, developers, and whether their choice to announce but not only to make the Scorpio is a good decision in the long run. Which so far my reaction has been negative, most people are neutral and want to see where this goes, and very VERY few people are positive about it and if they are it's mostly because they just see this as "choice isn't bad."

If you watch Microsoft's conference they spent the whole conference setting up for the Scorpio and they chose their words so wisely in hopes for no negative reaction or anyone to misinterpret what their selling as something that is bad.

But how I view that is, why is a company trying so hard to prevent that reaction? Yes the DRM on the Xbox One reveal damaged them badly so it's understandable for them to do that. But it's much rather they knew that the Scorpio is somewhat of a bad idea and can be viewed that way and was very careful so they didn't have to get a huge blow to them.

It's easier to say "I did this for good reasons for the consumers" Rather then say "I did this for good reasons for our company."

I said this during the DRM Xbox One fiasco and I will say it now. It's fucking terrifying how much one video game market leader has on the whole game industry. And it's fucking terrifying how much impact we gamers have on which direction it goes.

Microsoft needs to lose this mindset of "we should be the only company you should be buying games from" mentality. Yes their conference was okay level, but this conference in particular has showed me that I should never buy their products because their not trustworthy. They can have the nicest or coolest CEO ever, but they still have learned nothing about this industry and what people expect out of them. And that's fucking pathetic.

Wtf? What did I just read? lol

difference. Sony didn't dedicate stage time to it. They'll reveal when it's ready and release it soon after. MS announced what is basically still a dream and saying it's coming out next fall.

Also just look at some of the threads. MS and their messaging is STILL all over the place.

I'm just not sure that this half-announcement thing from Sony is that much better. They've essentially announced that a more powerful console is coming but consumers don't know exactly when or what's really in it for them. Should a gamer be excited to buy a PS4 right now when a new one could come out in a few months? I think both companies could be probably be handling this better but in the end I think I like a company telling us more information early than holding out.

He explains the reasoning behind confirming the existence of the Neo right there in the OP. Reading, it's enlightening.

Uh, I read the OP.

Dinjooh

To be fair I think Sony are just starting to address this problem I think. This gen a lot/most of Sony's big games have had delays compounded by being revealed very early.

Watching Geoff Keighley interview all the devs with games in the conference and all were very firm in not giving a date. Not even a hint of year.

Hopefully by next E3 they'll have this issue sorted.

Yea I think this was a big thing as well. Instead of having to delay over and over, they're gonna wait with the release date till they're much more certain from now on.

I for one, am completely shocked.

image.php

Hoo-doo

Banned

Hardware.

Competition in the hardware space is not even remotely comparable to competition in software.

TLG is years in the making, but you don't see Microsoft putting quickly putting out a TLG and snatch away their thunder. Because that's you know, impossible. People want to play those games and they'll buy the hardware just to play them.

Revealing a new console is completely different, technology and hardware moves on a completely separate timetable where timing is crucial.

Navy Bean

MS took the risk so future Neo buyers might change their minds and wait for Scorpio.

Yeah, and as others have pointed out, MS is in a trailing position so they felt they had to get out ahead of Sony. Not surprising. Sony is killing it right now so they don't have to do anything, really.

In any case, all this talk now is kinda pointless until we see the final specs for both systems.

Krisprolls

Banned
Nothing surprising here. MS tries to sway people from PS4 Neo by basically saying "wait, we'll have a more powerful console than that later". They try to get back the hardcore gamers on board.

It brings Xbox One sales down but they're already really low anyway so they don't have that much to lose here.

They could even cancel Scorpio altogether if sales get too low. Talking is easy. It's not the first time half of what they announce turns out not happening (same thing for Sony by the way).

Boke1879

Even still. That's the point of E3. Games and consoles are different. Those games can sell a person and make them go buy a PS4 right now with amazing games. Not to mention they still showed those games running on current hardware.

We still don't know what Scorpio looks like. MS and their messaging for it is already all over the place.

this didn't bother me at the time but in retrospect it's pretty hilarious. it's like Apple unveiling the iPhone 7 and then teasing the iPhone 8 within an hour of each other

Everyone knows that when the iPhone 6s is announced, the 7 will probably come out a year later, regardless of announcements. Just like with that industry, it leads to a lot of "should I buy now or wait" indecision on the part of the consumer.

Since both Neo and Scorpio have been acknowledged, why would anyone buy either of the existing platforms, unless they simply are incapable of waiting.

Brudinho

Banned
This quote stood out

A release date for PlayStation 4 Neo has yet to be confirmed. House's reference to Apple, however, could suggest Sony has plans to release the console quickly following its reveal.

I think we are going to get announcement around August/September with release on October.

This is honestly the biggest point about this article for me.
I can see them announcing Neo at GamesCom with a release within the next two weeks.

Didn´t Microsoft do that with the Xbox 360 S?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Scorpio is spec'd the way it is based on what microsoft was told they needed in the box for devs to hit 4k and VR. If they don't want to do 4k that's fine too. What's there to be confused about?

Oh, okay, let's pretend that contradicting things haven't been said in the last few days, not that I personally find any of it to be that confusing.

When there exists more variables, the potential for misinformation becomes greater.

Not only did Microsoft formally announce their console, but they gave a broad release window and the type of console the Scorpio will be with some blurred specs. They shot themselves in the foot because the console has been loosely unveiled, with no solid specs, and the release date is so far out that they don't know how the console will finally shape up to be.

They made PR that much more difficult for themselves between now and whenever concrete details regarding the system finally become available, all because they probably felt the necessity to get ahead of Sony, otherwise why the hell would they announce this shit 18 months in advance? lol

timlot

Banned
Sounds like he is hinting that when Sony announce Neo to the masses it will be available shortly afterwards.

Kind of like when Project Morpheus was announced then release shortly after. Right.
Notice Project in bold. Like Project Scorpio.

There was a guy in the Giant Bomb Live that speculated and said that the Kojima project that he showed was one big analogy for the whole situation that Kojima had been in. The shackles that had been broken, the baby that was taken away from him.

I like to think of it as Kojima just announcing that he's back making games, rather than taking it as 'omg when is this gonna come out?'.

That could be true but they did announce something called Death Stranding starring Norman Reedus, people is gonna be looking forward to it even if it ends being something completely different.
All I know is that there's no game yet but I don't know if what they showed us has nothing to do with what they're going to build so based on the information I got I have to asume that it will.

Gurish

After Sony said Neo won't be at E3 I was positive it's a 2017 console, but now after reading his interview there is a good chance still for this to release this year, sounds like they want to announce it and release it pretty much immediately, so they can announce it before the holidays and release it 3-4 weeks after at the holidays.

blakep267

While 18 months may be s bit too long, I don't think a few weeks between announcement and release is good either. If Neo is coming out in October, I feel like as a consumer Id want to know about it at this E3. So I can make the decision to either save for it, not buy another ps4 etc.

Top Bottom