• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

androvsky

I can't bring myself to spoiler-text a 99-year-old description of an alien (actually, alien babies) that we have pictures of above...
The roof of the enclosure was of solid glass about four or five inches in thickness, and beneath this were several hundred large eggs, perfectly round and snowy white. The eggs were nearly uniform in size being about two and one-half feet in diameter.

Five or six had already hatched and the grotesque caricatures which sat blinking in the sunlight were enough to cause me to doubt my sanity. They seemed mostly head, with little scrawny bodies, long necks and six legs, or, as I afterward learned, two legs and two arms, with an intermediary pair of limbs which could be used at will either as arms or legs. Their eyes were set at the extreme sides of their heads a trifle above the center and protruded in such a manner that they could be directed either forward or back and also independently of each other, thus permitting this queer animal to look in any direction, or in two directions at once, without the necessity of turning the head.

The ears, which were slightly above the eyes and closer together, were small, cup-shaped antennae, protruding not more than an inch on these young specimens. Their noses were but longitudinal slits in the center of their faces, midway between their mouths and ears.

There was no hair on their bodies, which were of a very light yellowish-green color. In the adults, as I was to learn quite soon, this color deepens to an olive green and is darker in the male than in the female. Further, the heads of the adults are not so out of proportion to their bodies as in the case of the young.

The iris of the eyes is blood red, as in Albinos, while the pupil is dark. The eyeball itself is very white, as are the teeth. These latter add a most ferocious appearance to an otherwise fearsome and terrible countenance, as the lower tusks curve upward to sharp points which end about where the eyes of earthly human beings are located. The whiteness of the teeth is not that of ivory, but of the snowiest and most gleaming of china. Against the dark background of their olive skins their tusks stand out in a most striking manner, making these weapons present a singularly formidable appearance.

Obviously, some liberties were taken with the design of the creatures in the movie. However, the number of limbs is not one of those.

Did the original story include all the aliens having an extra set of limbs yet one down a finger? If so, I'll eat crow, it's just a jarring similarity to me.

That's because Avatar ripped it off first:
affiche.jpg

What does this mean i don't even.

OH, I just noticed, is the actor in this the same guy who played Kevin Carter in Bang Bang Club? He looks kinda misplaced in his role though..

It refers to pulp, which is a type of pop-literature that often features overwrought description. Meaning that the creatures are actually described in that level of detail and that you don't know what you are talking about.

Seriously, how does one not know "pulp"?

spk

It refers to pulp, which is a type of pop-literature that often features overwrought description. Meaning that the creatures are actually described in that level of detail and that you don't know what you are talking about.

Seriously, how does one not know "pulp"?
Did such a harmless and inoffensive statement really warrant such an obnoxious response

That new poster is amazing.

It even reminds me of some pulp novel covers.

I really hope this movie is good, as the stories are some of my all-time favorites.

mjc

I'm with most of you guys, I can't shake this feeling that its gonna be an underperformer even though everything I've seen to this point suggests its gonna be an awesome movie. I really wish that it does well because I'd rather see Disney take chances with movies like this than other potential projects.

Agreed with Jett. Carter himself should have maybe been a silhouette or not graded down at all. Everything but his placement in that poster looks good. Think how much better that poster could look if he was just a full blown silhouette.

I really hope this turns out good, I'm a huge fan of the books, but I just have a really bad feeling about this... don't think it will be horrible, but I don't see it being successful and now it's so expensive we won't get another attempt at filming the franchise for 20+ years.

And I hate the title.

I really hope this turns out good, I'm a huge fan of the books, but I just have a really bad feeling about this... don't think it will be horrible, but I don't see it being successful and now it's so expensive we won't get another attempt at filming the franchise for 20+ years.

And I hate the title.

DONT FORGET ITS A TOTAL RIPOFF OF AVATAR!!11!

Prepare to hear this complaint from a lot of audience members.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pretty much every major sci-fi/fantasy film of the past 50 years has taken stuff from John Carter. Thats probably the biggest challenge facing the film.

Well, aside from Taylor Kitsch looking corny as hell, and audiences comparing the trailer to Prince of Persia that is.

From the trailer, it just doesn't look like Mars...it looks like Nevada...why would you make that design choice? I'm starting to wish Pixar had just animated it with a more mature style, could have really made something special.

Busty

Banned
I feel sorry for Taylor Kitsch, I gotta say.

I don't feel sorry for him but I just hopes he saves his money and enjoys his fifteen minutes of fame.

Even for a early/teaser poster it seriously already feels like Disney are phoning this in.

We've already seen the aliens in the trailer so why hide them in this poster? If anything they are the film's 'money shot' and instead they are going front and centre with some kid from FNL.

Eh.

JGS

Banned
I am excited for this despite the marketing. Most indications are that it's good to great, but it's getting slammed pretty badly based on what the public can see.

I'm getting Speed Racer levels of buzz on this and hope I'm wrong and it makes bunches of money.

DiscoJer

Ugh. When you type this in at IMDB, you get 47 listings of people named John Carter, then the movie. (Yes, I was too lazy to change the combo box to Title). Seems so weird for them to drop the "of Mars" part for so many reasons.

Still, looking at the stills they have there, it looks like they tried to be pretty faithful. They made Dejah Thoris red. The aliens look just how I imagined them. The dog thing he acquired is a little cuter than imagined, but still...

I wasn't a huge fan of the books, they were a little dull, but very descriptive, if nothing else.

The execs probably dropped "...of mars" because "Mars Needs Moms" was the bomba and they don't want the connection to be made with the general public?

Best guess I got.

Cannot freaking wait for the trailer tomorrow!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
vagabondarts said:
Cannot freaking wait for the trailer tomorrow!
The trailer is out tomorrow? Awesome.

The execs probably dropped "...of mars" because "Mars Needs Moms" was the bomba and they don't want the connection to be made with the general public?

Best guess I got.
Which doesn't really make sense. Mars Needs Moms was such a bomb that no one remembers the damn thing. Maaaaybe it's some crazy SEO concern and they don't want people searching Disney + Mars to see stuff about that movie? Even that shouldn't be a significant issue as John Carter Of Mars approaches its release.

The whole 'we don't want to draw attention to the sci-fi thing' doesn't really make sense either. Like that poster doesn't give that away? Or the teaser, and all the marketing to come?

Flynn

There's a great 10-page story about Andrew Stanton in this picture in the New Yorker. No online version, sadly. Worth picking up and reading for fans, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom