• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton releases logos for John Carter planned sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
This's an interesting thing, we live in a world where everybody in the entretainment bussiness wants to make franchises out of everything (books, movies and videogames) and it looks like Disney had big plans for John Carter

Many people did not enjoy Andrew Stanton's (Finding Nemo, Wall-E) motion picture adaptation of John Carter, the Warlord of Mars. I was one of the few who did enjoy it, and would be open to a sequel. Stanton has released the title cards for some originally planned sequels, which you can see below!

BpfqQ94CYAAQ-Na.png

BpfqTvrCQAAmGL7.png

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starksnewsandreviews/news/?a=101474

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I never really understood the john carter hate. I mean it wasn't star wars, but it was a fun, serviceable movie.

Kyzer

Banned
I think the name "John Carter" just makes the movie fall away to obscurity for most people. Sounds so normal and meh lol

It's a bummer these will never be made. I quite enjoyed the the first movie.

I think the name "John Carter" just makes the movie fall away to obscurity for most people. Sounds so normal and meh lol
That was the point. Normal guy is transported to Mars, and has to adapt.

Scuderia

Man i was really confused there.

I thought the thread title said "John Carpenter", then when i saw the logo i thought they were making sequels to the god awful Ghosts of Mars.

draetenth

I've never seen it (wasn't interested), but wasn't John Carter a movie that bombed really hard at the box office? Was it really that bad?

I never really understood the john carter hate. I mean it wasn't star wars, but it was a fun, serviceable movie.

That's just it: it was overwhelmingly average. I honestly cannot remember a single part of the movie outside of the weird dog thing, and McNulty from the Wire being in it.

Jarlaxle

The timing on this is really weird for me. I watched this last night with my wife (first time for her and second for me). I really liked this movie and it's a bummer we won't ever get a sequel. It's not the greatest movie ever or anything but we were both smiling and had fun watching it. Oh well.

Agraavan

That's not a popular opinion, but I really liked the movie and think it could reach some amazing status, like Star Wars franchise (hyperbole much) if it was made in the right conditions and time.

This is how I felt about it. They could have done certain things better and it's flawed in a few areas but I enjoyed it. The scene of him
fighting juxtaposed against him digging his family's grave
is one of the most memorable movie scenes I've seen in a long time.

Linsies

Yeah, the trailers and marketing for this were awful. I nearly had to be dragged to John Carter by my husband. During the movie, which I enjoyed, I was shocked by how different the movie was from how I imagined it would be based on the trailers.

The problem wasn't the title.

It was the drab, characterless world, complete miscasting of John and Dejah, and poor script that read like an episode of Alias.

Loxley

For those who haven't read it, I highly recommend the book 'John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood' - it details every single fuck-up on part of both Disney and Stanton throughout the entirety of the film's production.

sangreal

I thought it was decidedly average, but the reason I originally skipped it because the trailer made me feel like I was missing something. Like I was already supposed to know and care about John Carter.

John Carter was a great movie. Enjoyed the little twist at the end.

But the name was far too plain. Most people thought it was a normal drama or some shit.

methane47

He was waiting in the BUSH for what 9 months or something? THAT was the big reveal of the movie? Homeboy was in the BUSH... I was like wtf am i watching? ScoobyDoo?

The movie was bad, and the title was terrible. How you go from the delightful, pulpy "A Princess of Mars" to the most boring title imaginable? I guess I should read that book to find out...

Finrod

Banned
I really enjoyed this movie. Such a shame it never got a fair chance.
Kitsch might not have been the best casting, but Lynn Collins was pretty good as Dejah.

Nikodemos

How you go from the delightful, pulpy "A Princess of Mars" to the most boring title imaginable? I guess I should read that book to find out...
Boys/young men wouldn't go to watch something with 'princess' in the title, while girls/young women wouldn't go to watch something with 'Mars'.
Girls apparently don't like things with the Red Planet, it was also going to be called Princess of Mars and boys wouldn't watch that. So, John Carter.

Also, there was the issue of that shitty comedy.
Disney released a horrible movie called "Mars need moms"

Plus they were really pushing to make Taylor Kitsch a fresh bankable action star, which they've absolutely failed at.

Boys/young men wouldn't go to watch something with 'princess' in the title, while girls/young women wouldn't go to watch something with 'Mars'.

But everyone wants to go see a movie called "John Carter," which sounds like a movie about a middle-aged British guy going to the grocery store or something.

jett

D-Member
John Carter was a decent blockbuster, not good enough to make me sad or anything that we aren't getting these sequels though. :p

I'm actually interested in that book that was posted, might look into it.

Liamario

Banned
The trailers didn't do the movie any justice. They movie looked as generic as they come. When I watched it, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom