• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Looks like a cross between Chronicles of Riddick and The Mummy.

Someone needs to tell me why I should be excited about this.
Stanton would be the primary draw.

He directed Wall-E & Finding Nemo both of which are pert near perfect if you like PIXAR films.

Plus he's written for a huge chunk of the rest of their catalogue.

So he's a great director & fantastic storyteller, so the trailer (Which again isn't horrible just kinda generic) does not necessarily reflect the potential awesomeness of this production.

J2 Cool

Watched it a first time a couple hours ago, left with uncertain feelings. Watched it just now. I really don't think I like this. It looks cheap, in many ways.

Tacitus_

JGS said:
Stanton would be the primary draw.

He directed Wall-E & Finding Nemo both of which are pert near perfect if you like PIXAR films.

Plus he's written for a huge chunk of the rest of their catalogue.

So he's a great director & fantastic storyteller, so the trailer (Which again isn't horrible just kinda generic) does not necessarily reflect the potential awesomeness of this production.

Well since the story was penned almost a century ago, no wonder it seems generic.

Vinci

Danish
Discotheque said:
oh and btw: Michael Chabon did scriptwork on this. His last work was Spiderman 2.....

and his next screenplay work is on Fincher's 20000 leagues movie and Aronofsky's new hbo series. So I think Stanton hired the right dude for sure.

Consider me interested again.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yes, the general concepts have been done many times before. Yes, as most trailers do, it paints a broad view of what it's about.
Remember when everyone thought Lord of the Rings was shit because its influences had permeated the majority of fantasy fiction for decades? Oh wait, that didn't happen.

But fuck people, look at the damn talent here! Andrew Stanton directing. Stanton co-wrote with Mark Andrews (Pixar's Brave, all kinds of awesome stuff) and Michael Chabon, both of which are exciting draws. Then look at the ridiculous cast. And this isn't some crap project that Disney churned out in 12 months. It's got nearly 2 years in post, there is so much work being poured into this.

Yes, there have been many shitty pulp/sci-fi adventure films over the last 10 years. This will most certainly share elements with them. But this will be done well and with care. It's not the latest piece of hackery that Jerry Bruckheimer is shoveling out.

Solo

Dan said:
But fuck people, look at the damn talent here! Andrew Stanton directing. Stanton co-wrote with Mark Andrews (Pixar's Brave, all kinds of awesome stuff) and Michael Chabon, both of which are exciting draws. Then look at the ridiculous cast. And this isn't some crap project that Disney churned out in 12 months. It's got nearly 2 years in post, there is so much work being poured into this.

We all knew all of that though going into production. And then we saw this trailer, and it looks cheap as hell and bland as can be.

Hoping this is just a case of a bad trailer/early effects.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Solo said:
We all knew all of that though going into production. And then we saw this trailer, and it looks cheap as hell and bland as can be.

Hoping this is just a case of a bad trailer/early effects.
I can't fathom how this looks cheap. That claim boggles my mind.

Bland? Maybe, but that is partially the source material and partially because they're not showing all the coolest stuff like the battles, the Tharks, the creatures, etc.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So I guess I'll be putting almost all of you down for a swift mind change when the full length trailer hits, eh?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I think this looks alright. How else is it supposed to look?
Granted, I'm not familiar with the source material.

J2 Cool

I wonder how much of the visual design comes down to Stanton. He had stranglehold, and was very picky with the designs of Wall-E (coming from a lecture with a character/machine designer on the film, who didn't seem enthused the process). I actually don't think that film was nearly as striking as it could have been, considering the talent at the studio. The ship and earth itself in that, were pretty bland. They barely got into all the cool visuals of the universe.

Tom_Cody

Ugh, that's it?

This has been my most anticipated movie, but I really wasn't impressed with anything here. I think I need to rewatch it a few times in hi-def.

Dead

well not really...yet
Looks kinda bad.

Mars looks like a joke, bad costume design, alien design looks goofy when I expected gritty...

Small nitpick here, but whoever the actress is that is playing Dejah Thoris is defintely not as attractive as she should be, nevermind the pussying out on the clothing. Total fail.

Solo said:
It honestly was almost the first reaction I had and it carried on throughout the trailer.

You thought this looked cheap?! Wow, I really don't see it, obviously we don't see much from the locations, aliens, or etc, this is all kept under wrap for now. Slashfilm was really excited by the White Ape sequence (which really showcases how Star Wars Attack of the clones ripped off that scene apparently), and said that the teaser wasn't as exciting as the actual clips.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
You thought this looked cheap?! Wow, I really don't see it, obviously we don't see much from the locations, aliens, or etc, this is all kept under wrap for now. Slashfilm was really excited by the White Ape sequence (which really showcases how Star Wars Attack of the clones ripped off that scene apparently), and said that the teaser wasn't as exciting as the actual clips.

Eh, maybe not cheap but uninspired. Again, if they make it look better fine but the desert parts just looked desolate and crappy. Barsoom is described as being pretty cool looking in the books, I hope the other areas in Barsoom look better than they did in the teaser. If it's good like you're saying slashfilm describes it then that makes me somewhat excited again. I don't think it's terrible but was definitely underwhelming in my mind, I hope the trailers and other videos look better.

Dead

well not really...yet
To be honest, and I know this is just from the trailer, but...

...theres no mistaking that this is a Disney film.

I would have expected a much more gritty look. The alien design is a total joke.

I honestly can't imagine this trailer inspiring anyone who hasn't read the book to want to see the movie. Nothing about it stands out and makes you go I HAVE TO SEE THIS

And theres no getting around that Kitsch looks like a second rate He-Man here, regardless of the source material.

Nlroh

The desert is supposed to be Mars?
Also, the alien looked like a pixar character... cartoony and out of place in a live action film.

cory. said:
Romanticized early 20th century interpretation of Mars.
Eh... It doesn't come off as that bland in the book and besides not all of it is desert but a decent amount is so I guess we'll see when we see more of the landscape.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yea, these comments keep getting crazier and crazier. It's boggling my mind how some people wouldn't even remotely give the director of Wall-E the benefit of the doubt, less alone sensibly set their expectations from a teaser.

Tacitus_

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, these comments keep getting crazier and crazier. It's boggling my mind how some people wouldn't even remotely give the director of Wall-E the benefit of the doubt, less alone sensibly set their expectations from a teaser.

neogaf.gif

Tuck

Not feeling it. The acting seemed unnatural, and the dialogue felt clunky. I'll still keep my eye out on it though.

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Haters gonna hate ^^

Nesotenso

Pics courtesy of comics alliance. Don't know if these were posted here before:

Helium Airship
DipjS.jpg

City of Helium (Lesser?)
TXE1C.jpg

I don't like that they're just calling it "John Carter".

I think they should keep some of the book title and at least call it "John Carter and the Princess of Mars" or something.

besada

Banned
Veidt said:
Amazing how there's no black people on Mars.
You'd think that a desert planet would have at least a few.

If that upset you, please don't read the original source material. There are black people on Barsoom, they just happen to be green. The Red Martians (who look like humans) are all, well, reddish, so they can't really be black.

Of course the main character fought for the Confederacy, so if you're looking to be offended, this is a great work in which to find offense.

PowderedToast

there was nothing in stanton's previous films that implied he had any sort of vision, so it's not surprising his transition to live-action looks underwhelming.

Tom_Cody

Ok, cancel my original impressions. After repeated viewings, I am totally won over.

The teaser is still missing epic shots, but the details and art direction on display are totally boss.

JCreasy

Kinda disappointed.

I keep trying to like this, I keep watching it over and over again. But man, I'll get to a shot that looks kinda cheap or odd and it just knocks my enthusiasm down.

I'm still rooting for this movie. I'm willing to blame the teaser for now.

Damn Disney, why are you having such a hard time with sci-fi.

Can't wait till David Fincher's project begins production. 2000 Leagues will be guaranteed perfection.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know who watched that trailer and didn't think it looked cheap as hell.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
No way. It was an awful preview, there was NOTHING good about it. Sure, the guy made Wall-E. Wall-E was good, but it wasn't that good. Dude is a long way from god status, plus this is his first live action feature.

Nemo is great, its one of the best movies I've ever seen.. but even that isn't giving me enough confidence to just pretend the movie looks awesome out of blind faith.

It does look cheap, even though I have no qualms about thinking the movie won't be. It was mainly that one reveal of the alien that looked way too unrealistic.

Underwhelming trailer, but I have faith in Andrew Stanton.

And while I defended Disney's decision to change the title of Rapunzel to Tangled, I am puzzled by this one. John Carter is a ridiculously vague title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom