• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton's 'John Carter' (of Mars) Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
The one visual cue that Stanton is following is the He-Man like design on JC

Kind of unfortunate as Taylor Kitsch kind of looks laughable as shit in the trailer.

I really hope the next trailer is better. I'm on board for a midnight show already (fuckin' Wall-E man), but were it not for Stanton, the trailer wouldn't have me interested at all. Looks like a blandfest, honestly, the same kind of Prince of Persia post-Pirates-1 Disney live-action fare we're starting to get too much of.

Dead said:
The one visual cue that Stanton is following is the He-Man like design on JC

Kind of unfortunate as Taylor Kitsch kind of looks laughable as shit in the trailer.

He looks good in Civil War era all dirtied up, but I agree on his transition to being in Barsoom. He just doesn't look the part.

We are no longer in the age of muscle men beasts though but Riggins could have at least bulked up a teensy bit.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is going to be such a huge disaster. I mention it to -somewhat film savvy- people and they give me blank looks. Five months from release.

Yeah, I know, people said the same thing about Avatar. But Disney's total lack of faith in this film is a bad sign.

Busty

Banned
Two people have told me that John Carter has already crept past $350m and by the time it's released will be over $400m making it the second most expensive film ever made after Avatar.

Why? Because Disney trusts Andrew Stanton and the Pixar 'brain trust' that much.

Apparently Disney think this has real potential to do Avatar sized business. For the record Disney executives were saying the same thing about Tron Legacy before it was released.

Who knows, it might be amazing.

*cough*

EDIT - By the way I haven't had a chance to read the linked article yet so apolgises if I'm covering 'old ground' with my post.

Busty said:
Two people have told me that John Carter has already crept past $350m and by the time it's released will be over $400m making it the second most expensive film ever made after Avatar.

Why? Because Disney trusts Andrew Stanton and the Pixar 'brain trust' that much.

Apparently Disney think this has real potential to do Avatar sized business. For the record Disney executives were saying the same thing about Tron Legacy before it was released.

Who knows, it might be amazing.

*cough*

EDIT - By the way I haven't had a chance to read the linked article yet so apolgises if I'm covering 'old ground' with my post.

Avatar's production budget was never confirmed as being over $300m, let alone $400m. There was only ever that retarded New Yorker(?) article that printed 'When all is said and done' (after marketing included), over $500m will have been spent.' Then everybody ran with that.

I'm pretty sure if JCM balloons over $400m, it will be the most expensive ever.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
lack of faith? They gave the movie extensive reshoots and $300 M budget.
They also made a late-game change to the title that scrubs away the suggestion of pulp sci-fi.

Krev said:
They also made a late-game change to the title that scrubs away the suggestion of pulp sci-fi.

And forced 3D on Stanton, which he still clearly doesn't care for, given the interviews. Hope there is a big screen showing it in 2D.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Scullibundo said:
Avatar's production budget was never confirmed as being over $300m, let alone $400m. There was only ever that retarded New Yorker(?) article that printed 'When all is said and done' (after marketing included), over $500m will have been spent.' Then everybody ran with that.

It's easy for me to believe Avatar's budget was over $300 million. I mean...look at it.

Krev said:

The title change is coming from Stanton, or, at least, something Stanton agreed to change. Contrary to the 3D issue, he has no qualms about it.

jett

D-Member
disney you so crazy

they're so desperate for a new Pirates-like trilogy. Didn't get it with PoP, didn't get it with Tron, won't get it with this one either I bet.

Busty

Banned
Scullibundo said:

I know you and I have clashed swords over this in the past but suffice to say the true budget of Avatar will likely never be known but it is regarded as the most expensive film ever made within the industry.

Lots of the stories surrounding Avatar were never made public such as Tom Rothman panicking at the spiralling budget and selling off 'equity' in the project to British media hedge fund Ingenious Film Partners. Many thought he was lucky to keep his job when the film blew up at the box office and Fox lost out on potentially hundreds of millions of dollars.

Depending on who you speak to Fox's investment in Avatar was $200m+ while Dune and Ingenious Film Partners co-financed the other half ($200m) of the $400m + budget.

Either way we weren't the ones paying for it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Factoring in growing international markets, if Stanton delivers a legit good film, I don't see getting near $700 mill as being a huge problem....but it is quite a goal to set for yourself.

In any case, we're about get a $400m Andrew Stanton film, which is pretty god damn dope, sequel or no.

Holy fucking shit, I dug the trailer, but if this costs really more than 300 million, this has to be big and spectacular. I cant wait to see this, it's gonna be huge but I wonder how this can cost so much considering they have many physical sets and all.

FoneBone

Scullibundo said:
Wrong, multiple sources reported a budget of around $310 million (reduced to a net of ~$280 million by tax credits).

Solo

jett said:
disney you so crazy

they're so desperate for a new Pirates-like trilogy. Didn't get it with PoP, didn't get it with Tron, won't get it with this one either I bet.

Won't get it with the Lone Ranger, either.

Dead

well not really...yet
Regardless of the Budget, Taylor Kitsch still looks utterly ridiculous as an emaciated He-Man

Also, surprised this was never posted

tnhiT.jpg

VdlMs.jpg

hHAEa.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Movie seems to be screening well:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/john_carter_had_a_lengthy_18_day_reshoot_to_improve_correct_story_issues/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
‘John Carter’ Had A Lengthy 18 Day Reshoot To Improve & Correct Story Issues
Movie Will Need To Make At Least $700 Million To Green Light A Sequel

“Reshoots should be mandatory,” director Andrew Stanton recently told the New Yorker in an extensive profile. He said this while on the set of his first live action movie “John Carter” during an extensive 18 day reshoot this past April. While the term “reshoot” is generally shorthand used to denote a troubled production, for Stanton, who comes from the world of Pixar where films are storyboarded in full, critiqued, broken down and retooled numerous times before animation even begins, it’s a luxury that he feels every production should take advantage of. In the case of Pixar, it may mean a movie takes three or four years to develop, but it also ensures the high quality standard of the studio is maintained. As writer Tad Friend notes, it’s a bit like the old Hollywood studio system where many hands were involved in putting a movie together, and Stanton agrees.

“That’s exactly what Pixar is! And some of the Pixarness we’re trying to spread at Disney is ‘It’s O.K. to not know, to be wrong, to screw up and rely on each other.’ Art is messy, art is chaos—so you need a system,” Stanton explains.

It’s this passion to get things right that perhaps persuaded Disney to give the thumbs up to the reshoots this spring after Stanton’s first, nearly three hour rough cut of the movie, shown to the Pixar Braintrust (made up of story gurus and studio execs) in December, left them lodging some serious critiques. Among the issues at the time was a rather drab opening sequence in which the details of the Barsoomian wars on Mars are explained, but perhaps worst of all, especially from the director of “Finding Nemo” and “Wall-E,” the movie didn’t have his usual, deeply personal touch. However, unlike Pixar where nothing is committed to film until it’s absolutely ready and has been through the process of working out the kinks multiple times, a feature film is a different animal, with fewer chances to get everything right—acting, special effects, music, action sequences—live action filmmaking is a process Stanton describes as, “synchronized swimming with aircraft carriers.”

However, Stanton toiled away and a new opening was created, one that will launch viewers immediately into a battle between Zodangans and Therns, before cutting to earth where we first meet John Carter, played by Taylor Kitsch. If it sounds like a totally out there concept for a major movie, it kind of is. An adaptation of Edgar Rich Burroughs’ seminal serial sci-fi stories, the story concerns a Civil War soldier who is transported to Mars and embarks on alien adventures. Or rather, that’s the simple way to put it. But it’s a sci-fi saga of sorts, always a risk with mainstream audiences (see “Cowboys & Aliens”) and Disney dropped the latter part of the original title “John Carter Of Mars” in order not to scare away women or people not predisposed to movies set in outer space. And they’ll need to pack multiplexes for this one as the movie needs to take at least $700 million (or roughly more than double of its nearly $300 million budget) to get a sequel greenlit. However, whatever apprehension the studio might be feeling, an early test screening has been very positive.

Screening this past July in Portland, the film was obviously nowhere near finished, but it was a test for Stanton to view the movie alongside four hundred people (and of course some Disney executives) to see if what he was pulling together was going to work. And it did. “I realized, O.K. they’re with me,” Stanton explained, pleased that the first joke in the movie landed in a big way. “Then they laughed at anything that was meant to be a smile. There was no fidgeting in the air battle with Dejah, the least finished part of the film, and I was thinking, O.K. just get them to the kiss, because I’ve always been very confident about the last third. And there was applause at the end!”

With the move scoring as “excellent” or “very good” with 75% of attendees, Stanton and Disney are likely feeling heartened that they have a winner on their hands. John Carter himself was named as the favorite character by the test crowd, and the “Warshoon attack,” in which our hero protects Dejah from a savage tribe, was named the favored scene. All of that said, the studio is not waiting to see what that first weekend looks like before flipping the switch on any followups, but the movie seems to be headed in the right direction.
Currently running just over two hours, “John Carter” co-stars Samantha Morton, Dominic West, Polly Walker, Willem Dafoe, Lynn Collins, Bryan Cranston, Ciaran Hinds, James Purefoy, Thomas Haden Church, Mark Strong and Daryl Sabara and will hit theaters on March 9, 2012.

Kevin Jagernauth posted to Directors, Andrew Stanton, Films, John Carter Of Mars at 10:20 am on October 12, 2011 | Permalink | Comments (0)

New trailer finished and coming soon and.....

'John Carter': Taylor Kitsch fends off a fearsome white ape -- EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So tell me about these White Apes in your film. They’re from the books, but I recall they’re not quite this ginormous?

ANDREW STANTON: No, they’re sort of an oversized gorilla in the books, and they’re kind of ubiquitous. They’re littered everywhere through at least the first several novels. They were always cool, just from a visceral standpoint, [but] they don’t really have a narrative function in the first book. So what we did is we made the White Apes a formidable creature that you kind of hear about throughout the movie, but you never really witness. There’s a subtle sense of anticipation for what these things might be like. Then Michael Kutsche — who did a lot of the designs on [the Johnny Depp movie] Alice in Wonderland – came up with this design on his own, for just their scale. He made them nocturnal, almost like moles — they stopped using their eyes, and just had a heightened sense of smell. We just love that. We needed a scene where Carter was going have to get out of his execution sentence in order to move the story forward, and we thought what better than having to go up against this formidable creature?

More at the link.

ape looks pretty cool. Gotta say I'm getting excited to see this film, still cringe at the title change though. It sounds like the life of a shoe salesman.

Tom_Cody

Regardless of the Budget, Taylor Kitsch still looks utterly ridiculous as an emaciated He-Man

Also, surprised this was never posted

tnhiT.jpg

VdlMs.jpg

hHAEa.jpg
Awesome. Are there more pictures from whatever this event was? It's kind of bizarre to see a Sci-fi news exclusive from a celebrity site like Just Jared.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is the way all those Avatar skeptics must have felt. I truly can't comprehend how this movie will be anything but a monumental failure.

I'm absolutely confident it will be a great movie (and yeah waaaay better than Bird's theatrical debut MI4, count on it) but I'm still very skeptical on it being a success.

Here's hoping though. Errybody loves riggins and space and pulp sci-fi/fantasy.

noah111

Still Alive
Why do most recent movies with aliens feel the need to add extra limbs for the fuck of it? I mean, it was odd enough in Avatar, but now it's catching on. This doesn't look good regardless, but will give a chance.

[edit] oh and like avatar, somehow the ape has less fingers, but more limbs? Oh and the shot reminds me of GoW.

Tacitus_

Why do most recent movies with aliens feel the need to add extra limbs for the fuck of it? I mean, it was odd enough in Avatar, but now it's catching on. This doesn't look good regardless, but will give a chance.

[edit] oh and like avatar, somehow the ape has less fingers, but more limbs? Oh and the shot reminds me of GoW.

UyhcY.jpg

The original story was penned in 1912. Get out of here with your "recent movie" bullshit.

Timbuktu

Can't quite believe Tim Riggins went from FNL to two of the biggest budget, perhaps bloated films next years. It would br sad if both could end up as millions down the drain.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I started to panic as soon as I saw the 'JCM' logo. When the marketing department doesn't get it, you are in deep, deep trouble.

If you're going to invest that much money in a flavorful pulp genre piece, why is the first instinct to market it as an extreme boy band?

Fusebox

Banned
Everything about this movie feels like they're trying way too hard considering how awesomely kitschy the source material is by modern standards, but then I see the screenshots and I cant help but get excited.

WillyFive

Everything about this movie feels like they're trying way too hard considering how awesomely kitschy the source material is by modern standards, but then I see the screenshots and I cant help but get excited.

It's a logical thing to do, but what bugs me is that it's Disney doing it.

They of all people should be the ones that can get away with weird, fantastical stuff.

Snaku

Banned
They can always just make more Pirates movies. Or start plumbing their other theme park rides for ideas.

Space Mountain (shortened to "Space")
Splash Mountain (shortened to "Splash")
It's A Small World (Oh dear dear god no!)
Alice in Wonderland 2: Mad Tea Party
THE MATTERHORN

Screw that, Carousel of Progress and Journey Into Imagination should be up next.

noah111

Still Alive
http://i.imgur.com/UyhcY.jpg[IMG]

The original story was penned in [B]1912[/B]. Get out of here with your "recent movie" bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Did the original story include all the aliens having an extra set of limbs yet one down a finger? If so, I'll eat crow, it's just a jarring similarity to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom