• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JOHN CARTER (OF MARS!) |OT| (dir. Andrew Stanton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

I missed this at the cinema as I was out of the country during release.

But finally caught up with it and it's great.

How did this fail? baffling.

Ovid

I saw it in theaters and watched it again on cable last weekend and liked it even more.

I missed this at the cinema as I was out of the country during release.

But finally caught up with it and it's great.

How did this fail? baffling.

Marketing and poor word of mouth. Disney marketed the hell out of this movie but they did it all wrong. I still don't get why it was called John Carter instead of John Carter of Mars. They should've used the JCM logo on posters a teaser but they didn't. I think the guy in charge of marketing was fired or he quit.

Movie deserves a sequel, but unfortunately it will never happen.

Now that is a woman worth going to war for. With the extra density of my Earthman body I would club Tharks and Zodangans left and right with my boner.

nomis

This film was beautifully shot. You can tell a Pixar alum was on hand because it actually felt like a slightly poorer edited Pixar film: I mean this as a compliment. The Barsoom segments were nearly all filled with necessary shots and each one was gorgeous, screenshot worthy. The tale was not over-told, the characters got their heroic arcs. It had its dramatic beats.

The acting was full of scene-chewing, but there was heart there - more than I expected. One minute Lynn Collins might be giving a generic charge to battle in the Queen's English, the next she's sharing a conversation in silence, with only eye and body language portraying her side. Tyler Kitsch might play the typical modern action star in the vein of Sam Worthington one minute, but then show an emotion and humor the next that almost felt out of a place were this a lesser action film.

The music is one of my favorite scores of the last decade. Had there been more recognizable beats and leitmotifs I might have put it as one of my favorite for the decade. I'll be relistening to it tomorrow and after, so maybe it will grow on me.

putting the true title at the very end gave me a huge smile.

tumblr_m4ey6k3kQg1rsat8no1_400.gif

PROS (before hoes):

+ Michael Giacchino and the fantastic sound editing

+ Rome reunion! Great to see Julius Caesar and Marc Antony side by side again.

+ The moment he chooses to fight and goes back to battle the Tharks cut to scenes of him burying his family was incredibly well done and emotional - probably my favorite scene. He's burying his family, he's burying himself under the Tharks, he's throwing the gold-monger out the window and deciding to be reborn as a better person.

CONS:

- Kantos Kan - why couldn't we have more scenes with him? that scene when he came to be "taken hostage" was fantastic - we should have seen more of him in the film. Saved for the sequel I suppose... :(

---- fuck MT Carney, Rich Ross; fuck ridiculous studio surveys about the word "Mars"; fuck the terrible Photoshop newbies who made the posters; fuck Disney marketing and fuck everyone at Disney who suffers from anxiety

tumblr_m6ijbr6sXw1rsrbj9.gif

P.S. To anyone else whom the Blu-Ray cover makes want to vomit, here are some high res alternatives I found on this dudes dropbox.

I have not read the books, though I love old pulp novels and Burroughs is on my shortlist after I've finished Howard and Lovecraft.

Let me begin by saying this film has pacing issues. While the beginning with Burroughs was made a bit less painful after you've seen the film and was a necessary setup for the ending, but could have been cut shorter and more to the point. The cavalry segments were saved by Cranston and I did laugh at the escalating situation his aggression was causing, but it needed cutting as well. And throughout the film there were some scenes that maybe went on for a few minutes too long or not long enough. It felt uneven and I wonder if that's the cause of many people's annoyance with it.

Barsoom felt like a living, breathing world but almost too much so - too realistic. Most of the time it simply looked like Earth - you could have seen Lawrence on camelback in those deserts or some tourists taking pictures on the tops of the canyons. I would have liked a bit more of an alien landscape like in the Frazetta paintings. The fauna of the world was incredible and diverse and entertaining, I wish the flora and landscapes were given that same love. Edit: I understand now that the world is supposed to be dying, devoid of it's great waters and being stripped of it's minerals - but there are several TYPES of deserts in the world they could have used.

But now that we have that out of the way...

This film was beautifully shot. You can tell a Pixar alum was on hand because it actually felt like a slightly poorer edited Pixar film: I mean this as a compliment. The Barsoom segments were nearly all filled with necessary shots and each one was gorgeous, screenshot worthy. The tale was not over-told, the characters got their heroic arcs. It had its dramatic beats. I said the world looked too similar to our own, but I will say I also loved the environments at times - the old ruins, the new cities, the Thurn island.

The acting was full of scene-chewing, but there was heart there - more than I expected. One minute Lynn Collins might be giving a generic charge to battle in the Queen's English, the next she's sharing a conversation in silence, with only eye and body language portraying her side. Tyler Kitsch might play the typical modern action star in the vein of Sam Worthington one minute, but then show an emotion and humor the next that almost felt out of a place were this a lesser action film. Willam Dafoe was pure awesome, he never missed a beat or gave a less than stellar performance - this was my favorite Dafoe in over a decade. I had no idea who played Sola until just now, but if it was a less familiar actor I may have said she was the breakout star of this, but it was Samantha Morton, one of my favorite actresses. Thomas Haden Church though kind of disappeared into his role - whether that's good or not I don't know, but it wasn't until literally the moment before he died that I realized it was Lowell from Wings. Mark Strong was basically playing a Mark Strong character, but he was bringing an A-game Mark Strong so I can't complain - he was suitably menacing. I'll get to others in the comments.

The music is one of my favorite scores of the last decade. Had there been more recognizable beats and leitmotifs I might have put it as one of my favorite for the decade. I'll be relistening to it tomorrow and after, so maybe it will grow on me.

The CGI made me realize where those hundreds of millions went. I think had they used a bit more practical effects in certain shots they could have brought the price down - or maybe took more notes from Lucas. Scenes with the Tharks were almost pure CGI, but when we see just Carter's head and a couple lanky CGI arms blurry in the background I wanted to go "Jesus Disney, learn to take shortcuts to save on the budget - love the consistancy, but it's overused". The CGI of the ships and Tharks looked incredibly nice, though, real at times, making me almost forget I'm watching a CGi actor. The rest not nearly so much, especially the creatures, especially the little Pixar baby Tharks, but I never saw a single bad CGI shot.

And putting the true title at the very end gave me a huge smile.

Put me on the list. Put me at the top with a sword in one hand and a half naked red woman in the other and let them know I fight for JOHN CARTER of EarthMARS. I'll be there to defend it when people call it out as one of the worst of the year.

PROS (before hoes):

+ Great story, fun and heroic
+ Cinematography (almost want to see this in 3D)
+ hits the right emotional beats, the right action beats, the right beats at the right times
+ Michael Giacchino and the fantastic sound editing
+ The Tharks are awesome; they are ugly, but they're beautiful, too.
+ Rome reunion! Great to see Julius Caesar and Marc Antony side by side again.
+ I take back my worries about Lynn Collins - she was beautiful, sexy, I loved her Deijah and her and Taylor had great chemistry
+ The moment he chooses to fight and goes back to battle the Tharks cut to scenes of him burying his family was incredibly well done and emotional - probably my favorite scene. He's burying his family, he's burying himself under the Tharks, he's throwing the gold-monger out the window and deciding to be reborn as a better person.

CONS:
- occasional edit issue/intro way too long
- locations look way too similar, cuts down on the adventure
- Kantos Kan - why couldn't we have more scenes with him? that scene when he came to be "taken hostage" was fantastic - we should have seen more of him in the film. Saved for the sequel I suppose... :(
- speaking of Rome vets, Polly Walker was criminally under-used for just a few menacing one lines.

---- fuck MT Carney, Rich Ross; fuck ridiculous studio surveys about the word "Mars"; fuck the terrible Photoshop newbies who made the posters; fuck Disney marketing and fuck everyone at Disney who suffers from anxiety - take five Xanax and the night off and allow Stanton to do JCM2 with none of your bullshit hand-wringing suggestions.

You are a true hero, bengraven. May your stories be written in the stars eternal.

I still can't believe that John Carter ended up being the best sci-fi film of the year.

Couldn't have picked that shit in a million years.

blackflag

Finally watched part of this. It was very interesting for awhile. I was enjoying it. The main woman...hnnnnnng so fine. Eventually though, I dunno what happened, I lost interest and turned it off. I'm going to try watching the rest at some point but I just stopped giving a shit at some point.

jett

D-Member
Only if you use the very loosest definition of scifi. So no.

It's as much sci-fi as a movie about Mars with a breathable atmosphere and where a bit less gravity gives you super powers. :p

I definitely enjoyed Avengers a hell lot more but John Carter was a good time. And Lynn Collins weirdly looks hotter in red-face makeup.

Avengers wasn't even the best comic book movie. And I'm not a big fan of TDKR.

Have you seen Dredd, Sculli?

It's as much sci-fi as a movie about Mars with a breathable atmosphere and where a bit less gravity gives you super powers. :p

I definitely enjoyed Avengers a hell lot more but John Carter was a good time. And Lynn Collins weirdly looks hotter in red-face makeup.

Have you seen Dredd, Sculli?

Oh fuck I forgot about Dredd. Easily wins the comic book movie bout.

Anderson is second only to Dejah Thoris this year.

I'd say TDKR and the Nolan series arent even comic movies. So Avengers wins by default.

TDKR most definitely is a comic book movie. It's a lot goofier than the first two.

looper, dread, chronicle , cloud atlas all of them shit over this.

Unfortunately, Cloud Atlas doesn't hit here till Feb, so I can't comment. But I'm really looking forward to it.

Looper comes close to JC for me, but I need a rewatch - something I feel won't hold up as well on, but we'll see. All I know is that once I saw JC, I immediately wanted to watch it again.

TDKR certainly came off like a comic book movie. Stop elevating it plz.

Oh that's not my intent. I like them, but they strip out all the guts of a comic book, and leave us with a good movie, granted, but all of the comic bookness is long gone.

Avengers was the first movie in my mind to make zero apologies for its source, and go balls to the wall to make the comic page live.

Finally.

This was a mediocre movie but not that bad.

lol as far as sci fi are concerned what were your favorites this year? I thought chronicle was very well made and realistic take on genre. The kids had proper characters. This year has been not that great. I had high hopes for prometheus but it was a let down. looper, and chronicle are two I would consider in sci-fi genre. Dread was more action the scifi but still good. cloud atlas more on love than scifi but still good.I am not including mib and such because although I love the series most of the people here do not. Personally even MIB 3 was much much better than this.

Dead

well not really...yet
Avengers is about a good a science fiction movie as Transformers Dark of the Moon. Not sure how it belongs in any discussion involving best sci-fi movies.

Finally got around to watching this. Heard nothing but bad things about it so I went in expecting a bad movie, but it was pretty good! Made me laugh a few times. Pretty brutal for Disney, yeah? Or am I just thinking to hard about it

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Looper was so mediocre. I was expecting something good/solid after the ridiculous twitter hype, but I came away thoroughly unimpressed.

Sulli was on the money with this film. His impressions got me into the theater and I was really pleased with what I got on a matinee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom