• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Smarter high schooler, though he's clearly the smartest kid in his school. There's actually a funny scene where he's in a chemistry lab where he's making web fluid while simultaneously working on a school project while his teacher is talking.

Is there room for him to be "Tony Stark" smart or is it pretty clearly stated that Tony is on like, another level?

Oni Jazar

Damn new page already: Movie is awesome.

How "smart" would you say they make Peter?

Super genius comics Pete or just "smarter high school student" Pete?

Don't need specific situations.

He's a genius like all around. Dunno about super but beyond just smart.

I love Peter's personality. He geeks out over everything it's infectious.

All of them? Haha, kind of rough but before Homecoming I'd probably say:

1.) Winter Soldier
2.) Dark Knight
3.) Guardians
4.) Logan
5.) Spidey 2

Our top five is nothing alike.
1. TDK
2. Civil War
3. Winter Soldier
4. Logan
5. X2

But I am still watching day one. I have yet to feel an MCU movie wasn't worth the money at least once.

Is there room for him to be "Tony Stark" smart or is it pretty clearly stated that Tony is on like, another level?

I would probably say there's definitely hints he could be the next Tony Stark, when Peter cracks into the Spider-Man suit to essentially access additional powers and take out the tracker, its definitely not something you could see many high schoolers do.

Voror

10-15 minutes tops. I mean he saves Spidey during the Ferry scene but thats the only upstaging scene.

Tony takes Peter's special suit after this and the entire final fight with the Vulture is Peter having to rely on his crappy home made one with shitty web shooters. Tony does make all the alternate webbing for him, which he essentially accesses by having Ned hack past the "training wheels" in the suit

Still feels like it could have been even less, but I'll have to see how I feel about that.

But I mean he gets the suit back in the end, correct? Or do they not show it? I got the impression he doesn't take the Iron Spider like suit at least.

Still dissatisfied with how much of Tony is in the suit and it's creation. I didn't have an issue with Tony providing the resources, but it feels like Peter didn't have much in the way input in its creation.

Oni Jazar

Still feels like it could have been even less, but I'll have to see how I feel about that.

But I mean he gets the suit back in the end, correct? Or do they not show it? I got the impression he doesn't take the Iron Spider like suit at least.

Still dissatisfied with how much of Tony is in the suit and it's creation. I didn't have an issue with Tony providing the resources, but it feels like Peter didn't have much in the way input in its creation.

That's a valid criticism but Peter still shines through. He's that good.

He doesn't take the Iron Spider suit because Tony offers it to him with a spot on the Avengers. Peter says he's not ready for it and declines, to which Tony says "Oh that's too bad because I had 50 reporters behind these doors waiting to meet the newest member of the team" He thinks its Tony pulling a fast one but thats when Pepper walks in from the room with all the reporters asking where the hell Peter is.

Peter gets the original suit back in the very last shot, puts it on and revels in his victory...as Aunt May walks in with him wearing the suit sans mask and screams "WHAT THE FU.." Cut to credits.

Are there any jump scare type things? Like with Goblin in the first Raimi movie after Harry wakes from him from his transformation? I'm just a big chicken and don't want to be caught off guard in a crowded theater. :p

Oni Jazar

:) Maybe I'll go play Arkham to get my superhero fix.

Oh there's two throw away scenes that specifically remind me of my time playing Spiderman 2:

1. Slinging into a park where there's nothing to webhook to and
2. Swinging with too much slack and slamming face first into the ground.

I hope the new game has the same game mechanic moments

Oni Jazar

Are there any jump scare type things? Like with Goblin in the first Raimi movie after Harry wakes from him from his transformation? I'm just a big chicken and don't want to be caught off guard in a crowded theater. :p

No it's very tame all around. Just good spidey action and humor.

One thing that surprised me was all the great stars they had for bit parts. Don Glover? Hannibal Buress? Martin Starr? They were excellent.

Voror

That's a valid criticism but Peter still shines through. He's that good.

I'm happy to hear that and that Tom does a good job in the role when given the spotlight.

He doesn't take the Iron Spider suit because Tony offers it to him with a spot on the Avengers. Peter says he's not ready for it and declines, to which Tony says "Oh that's too bad because I had 50 reporters behind these doors waiting to meet the newest member of the team" He thinks its Tony pulling a fast one but thats when Pepper walks in from the room with all the reporters asking where the hell Peter is.

Peter gets the original suit back in the very last shot, puts it on and revels in his victory...as Aunt May walks in with him wearing the suit sans mask and screams "WHAT THE FU.." Cut to credits.

Hmm, that does leave the possibility of him taking it in the future I guess.
I do like the stuff with Pepper and Tony. Bit weird to have that here, but eh.

See, I do like this development because you could have a damn good scene next time if you have him explain the origin story to her and how he let the guy go that went on to kill Uncle Ben.

Are there many hints towards future plots? I know Toomes survives which I'm happy about, but it sounded like he meets Mac Gargan with a possible hint of other members of the rogues gallery in prison too?

Shame about the Michelle stuff in that she doesn't really feel quite like MJ since I liked how they eventually made it so the whole party girl persona was more of a mask,
which doesn't seem to be what they are going for here. Just need to see I guess.
How are her few interactions with Peter? Any chemistry or too little to tell?

Is Uncle Ben ever mentioned or alluded to?

Nope.

Hmm, that does leave the possibility of him taking it in the future I guess.
I do like the stuff with Pepper and Tony. Bit weird to have that here, but eh.

See, I do like this development because you could have a damn good scene next time if you have him explain the origin story to her and how he let the guy go that went on to kill Uncle Ben.

Are there many hints towards future plots? I know Toomes survives which I'm happy about, but it sounded like he meets Mac Gargan with a possible hint of other members of the rogues gallery in prison too?

Shame about the Michelle stuff in that she doesn't really feel quite like MJ since I liked how they eventually made it so the whole party girl persona was more of a mask,
which doesn't seem to be what they are going for here. Just need to see I guess.
How are her few interactions with Peter? Any chemistry or too little to tell?

Toomes could come back. He knows who Peter is but because Parker saved his life in the final battle, he keeps his secret when Gargan asks. Mac mentions he has a "lot of friends on the outside" who want Peter dead and would love to know Parker's identity, so definitely could see Scorpion for part 2. Maybe Glover becomes the fully costume Prowler as well.

Michelle's interactions are few and far between. It's really way more about Peter and Liz here.

Timu

Has there been any reactions to Dunkirk yet? Apes sounds like it's good, but I haven't heard anything about it. Both are probably taking a big hit if Spidey is this good.
s1MOwA3.png

LionPride

Banned
I'm not worried about Zendaya being Michelle/MJ since as I said earlier, as long as they get character shit right on point no ond who matters gon give a fuck. But to some people if ya ain't got red hair and is a model/actress, you ain't Mary Jane. Which is fucking dumb but whatevs

I'm not worried about Zendaya being Michelle/MJ since as I said earlier, as long as they get character shit right on point no ond who matters gon give a fuck. But to some people if ya ain't got red hair and is a model/actress, you ain't Mary Jane. Which is fucking dumb but whatevs

It's not so much the red hair or model/actress thing, it was more how unlike MJ she was in general. I couldn't care one way or the other truth be told, but she reminded me of the crazy girl from Breakfast Club more than anything else.

It's not so much the red hair or model/actress thing, it was more how unlike MJ she was in general. I couldn't care one way or the other truth be told, but she reminded me of the crazy girl from Breakfast Club more than anything else.

Not surprising. Apparently that character was the big inspiration Jon Watts and Zendaya went for with Michelle/MJ in the film.

I'm guessing this means they're planning on giving her an arc of some sort moving forward that results in her bearing more similarities to the Mary Jane we're all more familiar with, even if it's more the Ultimate MJ and not the 616 MJ. But who knows?

Voror

Toomes could come back. He knows who Peter is but because Parker saved his life in the final battle, he keeps his secret when Gargan asks. Mac mentions he has a "lot of friends on the outside" who want Peter dead and would love to know Parker's identity, so definitely could see Scorpion for part 2. Maybe Glover becomes the fully costume Prowler as well.

Michelle's interactions are few and far between. It's really way more about Peter and Liz here.

I like that as I was quite worried they were going to kill off more villains like they've done in the majority of MCU films.

Fair enough. Hopefully they give her more time in the next one then.

Just got out of the theater. It's the best Spider-Man movie hands down.

If you have questions, fire away.

As if there was any doubt.

Prediction: Justice League will be the worst reviewed superhero movie this year but it will still make it to the high 70's on rottentomatoes.

As if there was any doubt.

Still find it hilarious people thought there was a chance Homecoming would be the most forgettable comic film of the year. Not on Feige's watch.

kurahador

I feel like there need to be mention whether the bar is for an actual spoiler or just hinting at a spoiler, because I really don't mind the latter.

y2dvd

I still consider SM2 to be one of the GOATS. I didn't think another Spiderman movie could ever match it, but these impressions are getting me hype AF!

wow that greg tweet.

i'm trying to contain my hype after my expectations went too high for wonder woman

All of this hype is getting me more excited for the spiderman ps4 game. Anyone else in the same boat?

yup my spiderman game hype is through the roof. I can already tell that game is going to be something special.

Man, i've missed spidey. can't believe we are getting a major game&movie releases in this year and next

Top Bottom