• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Oh yea, Justice League is this year. Well, here's to hoping...
124979.jpg

it'll probably be received better than batman v superman but i'm willing to make the not-very-bold prediction that it'll be the worst reviewed cbm of the year
I'm OK with 6 out of 7. Thor is the one I really care about. I believe in Waititi.

PR_rambo

Banned
Decent amount of people here doubted, I suspect people who are overattached to the raimi series

NOT ME, I FUCKIN BELIEVED, HERE COMES THE GOAT SPIDER-MAN

Anth0ny

You already know this movie is going to have people laughing and feeling good while watching it.

1 billion here we come.

Yup. $1 billion is happening, Fox gonna be like "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" and want to get in on that MCU boost. Deal is struck, X-Men and F4 in the next phase of MCU.

Lets go.

Sami+

Just got out of the theater. It's the best Spider-Man movie hands down.

If you have questions, fire away.

Is there focus on Peter Parker being Peter Parker and his daily life struggles a la Spider-Man 2/Spectacular Spider-Man or is it another popcorn feel good Marvel flick

Yeah, it's quite funny actually. The death of a poorly conceived cinematic universe in The Mummy, Transformers doing really... not good (for Transformers), Ghost in the Shell having all sorts of problems, Pirates having Depp drama with some probable fatigue and Alien just being Ridley Scott'd and trotted out as a big franchise when it isn't really.

Haven't seen Alien Covenant yet but what's surprising given the crowd it's placed with, it had decently high reviews. Certainly wasn't dumped on by critics like Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Transformers 5, or The Mummy. Yet it's spoken of as being even worse than Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Amount of humor?
Music? Licensed songs?
What type of super hero film was it?
Heart vs spectacle vs humor focus?

A ton of humor, Spidey is funny as hell and his wisecracks/inexperience really make the jokes hit that much harder.

Music? A ton of licensed songs.
Blitzkrieg Bop for the credits was perfect.

A funny, low to the ground superhero movie. It feels "blue collar" through and through. Iron Man isn't a MAJOR player and you never feel like he's taking things away from the Peter Parker/Spider-Man aspects. It flows organically.

There's heart there and legit moments of dread with the Vulture. It's still funny since it's Spider-Man, but when things get serious, it never feels like the jokes take you out of that. Peter here is a kid who's out of his league in SO many situations.

Just got out of the theater. It's the best Spider-Man movie hands down.

If you have questions, fire away.

I take it that the Michelle = "MJ" reports are correct? If so, is there any indication as to what her surname is or if it starts with the letter "J"? Been hoping that there's enough leeway for Marvel to retcon her full name to be "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" in the sequels.

Speaking of, how is Zendaya as Michelle?

I take it that the Michelle = "MJ" reports are correct? If so, is there any indication as to what her surname is or if it starts with the letter "J"? Been hoping that there's enough leeway for Marvel to retcon her full name to be "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" in the sequels.

Speaking of, how is Zendaya as Michelle?

Yep. That's confirmed.

She's OK as Michelle, she's sort of out there, I was shocked she was MJ simply because of how out there and aloof she was throughout the movie. Nothing every screamed Mary Jane Watson. She also never says "You just hit the Jackpot" or anything

PR_rambo

Banned
Haven't seen Alien Covenant yet but what's surprising given the crowd it's placed with, it had decently high reviews. Certainly wasn't dumped on by critics like Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Transformers 5, or The Mummy. Yet it's spoken of as being even worse than Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

It's not amazing but Covenant is entertaining. Favorite Alien after 1 and 2

Do they adapt the Spider-Man trapped under machinery/rubble and has to use all of his strength to lift it off of himself scene from the comics, and if so how is the scene?

YES!

When I was watching that scene happen, I remembered that they hadn't really done one in the past movies. It's all right, it feels scary because Peter is a kid and he's freaking out about it. I honestly thought it could have been a good interjection to give us some Uncle Ben but he thinks of Tony instead for inspiration.

A ton of humor, Spidey is funny as hell and his wisecracks/inexperience really make the jokes hit that much harder.

Music? A ton of licensed songs.
Blitzkrieg Bop for the credits was perfect.

A funny, low to the ground superhero movie. It feels "blue collar" through and through. Iron Man isn't a MAJOR player and you never feel like he's taking things away from the Peter Parker/Spider-Man aspects. It flows organically.

There's heart there and legit moments of dread with the Vulture. It's still funny since it's Spider-Man, but when things get serious, it never feels like the jokes take you out of that. Peter here is a kid who's out of his league in SO many situations.

AIGHT I'M FUCKING SOLD LETS GOOOOOOOOO

Yep. That's confirmed.

She's OK as Michelle, she's sort of out there, I was shocked she was MJ simply because of how out there and aloof she was throughout the movie. Nothing every screamed Mary Jane Watson. She also never says "You just hit the Jackpot" or anything

I'm betting they save the "You just hit the jackpot" line for one of the sequels, since Liz was meant to be Peter's love interest in this film and the reports from Day 1 were that her role was planned to become more prominent in future entries.

Sad to hear there's not much that really resembles Mary Jane in Michelle. The clips I'd seen reminded me of her wit and humor, but I guess that might have just been me?

But yeah, any indicator of her surname in the film that you or anyone else can remember spotting?

YES!

When I was watching that scene happen, I remembered that they hadn't really done one in the past movies. It's all right, it feels scary because Peter is a kid and he's freaking out about it. I honestly thought it could have been a good interjection to give us some Uncle Ben but he thinks of Tony instead for inspiration.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Oni Jazar

YES!

I actually mentioned that to the studio guys after the movie. I thought the Tony voice at that scene was corny.

Yep. That's confirmed.

Oh god the salt from the right wing will sustaaaaaaaaaain me.

Top Bottom