• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War - First impressions (Full review embargo lifts Apr 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playsage

Captain America Civil War [Review Thread] Does Whatever a Snyder Can't

Shame we'll never get this one, people said it was too "mean spirited"

Magneto-perfection.gif

TRios Zen

Iron Man 3 is one Pepper Pots Deus Ex Machina away from being best Iron Man. That shitty ending though :(

Still the first 9/10 of that movies are great though. Loved the Tony character arc.

Winter Soldier was a better movie though.

You tried to warn us.

I remember seeing those positive early impressions from fans but then your review came along and I thought "Yeah, this seems more in line with how critics will view BvS."

I don't even feel like my impressions were too heavy

Critics tore that shit APART and I'm still iffy on it

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Captain America: Civil War |OT| BvS was a mistake, it is nothing but trash
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Russo if you can, Snyder if you can't
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Warner Brothers on suicide watch
Captain America: Civil War |OT| From the men who brought you Carfuckers
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Meow
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Martha ain't in this so you know it's good
Captain America: Civil War |OT| The only superhero movie not ruining it for the rest
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Just promise me we can still have shawarma
Captain America: Civil War |OT| HULK AND THOR ARE NOT IN THIS BUT THANOS IS
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Starring Idris Elba as a cat

Iron Man 3 is one Pepper Pots Deus Ex Machina away from being best Iron Man. That shitty ending though :(

Still the first 9/10 of that movies are great though. Loved the Tony character arc.

I dunno. I felt the Iron Man movies went downhill after the first one. I have no desire to see another one.

your movie opinions continue to be spot on

....ok I'll pretend I didn't read that ;p

Spidey 2 is probably nostalgia talking. I haven't seen it in a loooooooooooooong time.

From an honest/objective standpoint, I'd say its pretty clearly Winter Soldier vs. The Dark Knight vs. Batman Begins

Seems like this movie is going to give them all a run for their money, though.

I dunno. I felt the Iron Man movies went downhill after the first one. I have no desire to see another one.

Iron Man 3 is so underrated its absurd. It's a great film. The ending is what people get hung up on (I thought it was totally fine tbh), but that aside its still awesome.

TRios Zen

Two was definitely the weakest I think, but I really enjoyed most of three. Shell-shocked Tony having to overcome his own doubts to get back to who he was hit all the right beats for me. Really thinking how great that movie could've been then realizing how it ends...well that just depresses me.

But back to Civil War, I can't wait for tomorrow!

It isn't. The impeccably structured script and popping action sequences stand the test of time. That movie has pacing and character development that is done so well that it feels like the writers and Raimi made it look easy.

Glad I wasn't delusional.

I need to watch that movie again.

phanphare

Banned
Spidey 2 is probably nostalgia talking. I haven't seen it in a loooooooooooooong time.

From an honest/objective standpoint, I'd say its pretty clearly Winter Soldier vs. The Dark Knight vs. Batman Begins

Seems like this movie is going to give them all a run for their money, though.

I have a weird opinion on this. it's not my personal favorite comic book movie but I think Marvel's The Avengers is the best comic book movie in that it successfully translated so many aspects of superhero comics to the big screen. the tone, the humor, the color, the action, the fun, the visual gags, stuff like that. it feels like a comic book movie, not just a movie that's about comic book characters.

honestly my big gripe with raimi's spider man movies is how hard they whiffed on pete and mary jane. if you look at the first two movies they were carried largely by the villains and then in the third movie they whiffed hard on the villains so you're left with a big pile of souped up nothing.

I have a weird opinion on this. it's not my personal favorite comic book movie but I think Marvel's The Avengers is the best comic book movie in that it successfully translated so many aspects of superhero comics to the big screen. the tone, the humor, the color, the action, the fun, the visual gags, stuff like that. it feels like a comic book movie, not just a movie that's about comic book characters.

Heh, this is exactly how I feel about the Spiderman movies. Especially with Raimi's cinematography which is so much more vibrant and energetic. The fights he did for me were so much better than watching the Avengers people destroy mindless robots. For me nothing has topped that train scene in Spiderman 2. Avengers was still pretty well done, don't get me wrong, I'm not harping on it. But when it comes to the "look" of a comic on screen, I feel like Raimi has did the best job so far.

phanphare

Banned
Heh, this is exactly how I feel about the Spiderman movies. Especially with Raimi's cinematography which is so much more vibrant and energetic. The fights he did for me were so much better than watching the Avengers people destroy mindless robots. For me nothing has topped that train scene in Spiderman 2.

I was actually going to make that point in that The Avengers felt like the first two Raimi movies except Marvel knocked the characterization of its leads out of the park

NotLiquid

Iron Man 3 was the only good Iron Man film

Come at me brehs

the first half of IM1 was good though

My man.

I love Iron Man 1 for what it started, what it represents and it's great first half - but the second half ran on fumes and the final encounter was shitty.

Iron Man 3 had a solid run from beginning to end with an actual consistent story behind it, that also didn't rely on the suit to tell the story but Tony's own ingenuity. While the final skirmish isn't amazing, none of the previous IM movies are better. Plus the movie had that amazing airplane sequence. The first two IM movies were pretty passive but this is the first one I feel that was more active.

I was actually going to make that point in that The Avengers felt like the first two Raimi movies except Marvel knocked the characterization of its leads out of the park

The characterization is debatable and for me a little subjective; I had no problems with the portrayal of them. The characterization in Avengers is also very good. I just mean on like, technical filmmaking terms I guess. Spider-man 2 is still pretty much the most pitch-perfect superhero movie for me personally.

My man.

I love Iron Man 1 for what it started, what it represents and it's great first half - but the second half ran on fumes and the final encounter was shitty.

Iron Man 3 had a solid run from beginning to end with an actual consistent story behind it, that also didn't rely on the suit to tell the story but Tony's own ingenuity. While the final skirmish isn't amazing, none of the previous IM movies are better. Plus the movie had that amazing airplane sequence. The first two IM movies were pretty passive but this is the first one I feel that was more active.

Exactly. I really struggle to remember anything about 1 or 2 beyond 1's initial Iron Man origin story. I know Jeff Bridges was the baddie, and Mickey Rourke was in 2 (and that one guy with the robots), but sheesh it was flat.

3 was a fun movie with a great take on Tony's PTSD and a deconstruction of what it is to be a hero in a way.

phanphare

Banned
The characterization is debatable and for me a little subjective; I had no problems with the portrayal of them. The characterization in Avengers is also very good. I just mean on like, technical filmmaking terms I guess. Spider-man 2 is still pretty much the most pitch-perfect superhero movie for me personally.

yeah I value those technical types of things less than feeling like the character on the screen is who they are supposed to be. I feel like the only characters from Raimi's movies that can compare to what Marvel did in Avengers are Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin and J. K. Simmons as JJJ. Molina as Ock was quite good but not up to snuff with the others imo.

also the Marvel movies taught me that I value the characterization of the leads more so than the characterization of the villains. some of the villains in the MCU movies can be kind of weak sauce but because the leads are so well done it doesn't really bother me as much.

I always say that the Raimi Spider Man movies are very good but to me they don't actually feel like Spider Man movies. he doesn't get what is essential to the portrayal of the character imo. so with something like the first Iron Man, where I felt the performance from The Dude was kind of lackluster, it still felt like an Iron Man movie through and through because RDJ is just too damn good in that role.

basically the review from Civil War that says this:

[Spiderman's] introduction to the action is resoundingly joyous, the reboot the character truly deserves. (“I don’t know if you’ve been in a fight before,” he’s told by one opponent, “but there’s not usually this much talk.”)

shows me that Marvel gets the character more so than Raimi ever did and personally stuff like that is why I don't like the Raimi movies as much as others do.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Don't know which thread to post this, but here's a first look at Zemo in EW:

v00wB0Fv.jpg

Speaking of threads, when are we going to create an official non-spoiler OT Civil War thread?

Quick

Banned
Captain America: Civil War |OT| The only superhero movie not ruining it for the rest

34973820.jpg

I'm putting up the OT next week. First set of releases are the week after.

Alienous

For fun: The 1995 version of twitter impressions:

Cf7chwUVAAAkE92.jpg:large

Waid has it right.

I just watched Batman Forever the other day and it isn't shit. It's a better watching experience than Batman v Superman, and it might just have the most comic-accurate depiction of Batman in a movie. He's got the bat-cave, he invents stuff, he tries to reform people, he's haunted by his parent's death, he reluctantly takes on a sidekick, he has gadgets and uses batarangs, he does cool shit.

Batman & Robin poisoned Batman Forever.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Waid has it right.

I just watched Batman Forever the other day and it isn't shit. It's a better watching experience than Batman v Superman, and it might just have the most comic-accurate depiction of Batman in a movie. He's got the bat-cave, he invents stuff, he tries to reform people, he's haunted by his parent's death, he reluctantly takes on a sidekick, he has gadgets and uses batarangs, he does cool shit.

Batman & Robin poisoned Batman Forever.

There's a lot of stuff I hate about Forever, but I'll always give it credit for daring to have Batman get over his parents' death, and choose to be Batman because he can be. And yeah, O'Donnell was fine as Robin. Sorta. He felt more Jason Todd-y for the first while, but yeah.

Alienous

There's a lot of stuff I hate about Forever, but I'll always give it credit for daring to have Batman get over his parents' death, and choose to be Batman because he can be. And yeah, O'Donnell was fine as Robin. Sorta. He felt more Jason Todd-y for the first while, but yeah.

Yeah.

There's a really great Batman story at the core of that film, obscured by a godawful Two-Face and silly Riddler plan. Batman working through his traumas (and they are presented as genuine, PTSD-like traumas) is great character development.

There are also some really great images in that film, like Two-Face's helicopter destroying one-half of the face of Gotham City's Statue of Liberty stand-in. That could be a great comic book cover.

jdstorm

Banned

Use the title of a community episode eg
Captain America: Civil War |OT|Modern Warfare
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Spanish 101
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Introduction to Film
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Debate 109
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Communication Studies
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Home Economics
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Pierce your a B
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Anthropology 101
Captain America: Civil War |OT| The Psycology of Letting Go
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Advanced Dungeons and Dragons
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Custody Law and Eastern European Diplomacy
Captain America: Civil War |OT| A fist full of paintballs
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Biology 101
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Geography of global conflict
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Football and nocturnal vigilantism
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Geothermal escapism
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Advanced advanced dungeons and dragons

Fj0823

Captain America: Civil War |OT| "THANOS! WHY? WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?"
Captain America: Civil War |OT| Chaplin v Human Torch
Captain America: Civil War |OT| The movie we deserve and the one we need right now

Kid time hurt three for me. It's still good and has some of the best scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom