• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First critics impressions for Doctor Strange (Social media) - Embargo lifts Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

theWB27

Bullet time was revolutionary because it overcame the technical limitations behind divorcing time and space on film.

Doctor Strange isn't gonna do anything but look cool and trippy. What technical limitations are left to overcome that aren't mostly about visual fidelity? We can even see some rubbery CG humans in the commercials.

When we saw Matrix it was cool because it was cool and trippy at the time. Including bullet time. We were not sitting there thinking about what technical limitation was overcome. If Strange achieves something that looks cool and trippy on film like something we haven't seen it could still be revolutionary.

The Kree

Banned
When we saw Matrix it was cool because it was cool and trippy at the time. Including bullet time. We were not sitting there thinking about what technical limitation was overcome. If Strange achieves something that looks cool and trippy on film like something we haven't seen it could still be revolutionary.

Nobody thought The Matrix's visuals were revolutionary when they first saw it either. They thought it looked cool. Thinking a movie looks cool and knowing why it was actually revolutionary are two different things. The critic who threw that word "revolutionary" out there was being hyperbolic.

Nobody thought The Matrix's visuals were revolutionary when they first saw it either. They thought it looked cool. Thinking a movie looks cool and knowing why it was actually revolutionary are two different things. The critic who threw that word "revolutionary" out there was being hyperbolic.

I'm a somebody, and I thought they were revolutionary... The rotoscoping plus bullet time plus cgi filler was amazing to my 19-20 year old eyes.

Ahasverus

I'm never, ever, believing pre reviews tweets again. Never. I want to, though, this is the first Perlmutter free Marvel film so I'm extremely excited.

Ashhong

Yeah, that's one area where I think they've never slipped up.

Well, they've made films in an awful lot of different genres, like spy (Winter Soldier), space adventure (GotG), fantasy Shakespeare shit (Thor), heist adventure (Ant Man) and so on. Seems like Doctor Strange might again have a different feel and flavour, which is great if they've managed it.

bruh, shakespeare? Just like the other poster, you are really pushing it with the genre labeling. I still find it funny that people call WS a spy movie as well

Curufinwe

I will have to go see it with my wife because she's a huge BC fan.

I just hope it isn't boring as fuck like Guardians of the Galaxy was.

Vesmir

Banned
What were the first critic impression tweets for Dark World or Iron Man 2? I would like to see if the hyperbole was as strong then as it was when the impression tweets came out for D-tier Avengers 2.

kswiston

I wonder if this is when people start to fall away from Marvel's (albeit successful) formula.

Signs point to no. I expect something closer to Ant-Man than GotG for the box office, but origin films for new characters typically get the fewest formula complaints. Early comments are probably over enthusiastic, but they still point to 80%+ on RT. Outside of Suicide Squad, fan reaction seems to follow the general critical concensus for the genre. Marvel is going to need a clear critical miss before we get an Amazing Spider-Man or X-Men Apocalypse moment.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Is this a parody of the posts so far?

Truant

My main problem with Marvel films is that they don't look or feel like films. They look like tv-shows. They lack that certain movie magic.

The Kree

Banned
That just ain't true.

What an absurd statement.

It takes time to realize if a movie does something revolutionary is my point. Audiences did not know what bullet time was and why it was revolutionary or that every action movie for the next five years would copy it, they just knew they saw something cool. Some Marvel mark who happens to be a professional critic and gets on Twitter five minutes after seeing the movie and types the word "revolutionary" is just using a thesaurus. He doesn't actually know yet if Doctor Strange is revolutionary.

Jarmel

Banned

lololol

http://variety.com/1999/film/reviews/the-matrix-1200456768/
Beyond that, filmmakers have employed a technique they call “bullet-time photography,” ultra-fast lensing that, when combined with computer enhancement, allows for altering the speed and trajectories of people and objects, resulting in the live-action equivalent of a Japanese anime film.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/1999/jun/05/features2

Bullet Time was internationally famous in less than three months after it came out.

It takes time to realize if a movie does something revolutionary is my point. Audiences did not know what bullet time was and why it was revolutionary or that every action movie for the next five years would copy it, they just knew they saw something cool. Some Marvel mark who happens to be a professional critic and gets on Twitter five minutes after seeing the movie and types the word "revolutionary" is just using a thesaurus. He doesn't actually know yet if Doctor Strange is revolutionary.

I do agree the reviewer looks to be full of shit but the Matrix is the Matrix. There's nothing seemingly in the visuals that hasn't been done before.

Lunar15

Man, I just feel like everyone was a bit to high on Marvel for Civil War, which, while a good movie, really didn't justify the absurd levels of praise it got early on.

I dunno, I differ with critics a lot on Marvel. I enjoy the movies they make, but it's such a "force" now, that critics seem to treat them differently than regular movies.

Jarmel

Banned
There's nothing in this film that looks to be revolutionary but let's not discredit the achievements of other films in the process.

That's an odd turn of phrase

guek

Banned
Oh, agreed. Very few movies are. What was the last? Avatar, through its CG and motion capture?

AFAIK, Avatar's motion capture and facial capture techniques are industry standard now so yeah, I'd say Avatar from a visual effects point of view.

Bleepey

Man, I just feel like everyone was a bit to high on Marvel for Civil War, which, while a good movie, really didn't justify the absurd levels of praise it got early on.

I dunno, I differ with critics a lot on Marvel. I enjoy the movies they make, but it's such a "force" now, that critics seem to treat them differently than regular movies.

I am still not sure whether Marvel get a pass or whether Zach Snyder is held to a much higher standard than other directors. The hypocrisy over Zod's snapped neck is shocking. I mentioned the fact Christopher Reeve In Superman 2 was smiling and did everything but "you can't see me" as he killed Zod and he mentioned how in the director's cut Zod was arrested. I googled around and I found no footage of this. Just people insisting they remembers it a bit like the Berenstein Bears thing. Then there's Zemo plan vs Lex, Bucky vs Martha, shit shows like Thor 2 and iron man 2 etc

kswiston

AFAIK, Avatar's motion capture and facial capture techniques are industry standard now so yeah, I'd say Avatar from a visual effects point of view.

Avatar's CG built on techniques that Weta Digital had been refining for a decade. It was no doubt their best effort to date, but they were already getting a ton of acclaim for motion capture on LotR, King Kong and other films. I think that the 3D filming was Avatar's big proof of concept moment.

Litan

I am still not sure whether Marvel get a pass or whether Zach Snyder is held to a much higher standard than other directors. The hypocrisy over Zod's snapped neck is shocking. I mentioned the fact Christopher Reeve In Superman 2 was smiling and did everything but "you can't see me" as he killed Zod and he mentioned how in the director's cut Zod was arrested. I googled around and I found no footage of this. Just people insisting they remembers it a bit like the Berenstein Bears thing. Then there's Zemo plan vs Lex, Bucky vs Martha, shit shows like Thor 2 and iron man 2 etc
Jesus fucking christ. I thought we were done with this bullshit.

gutabo

I love how Marvel lets folks talk about the movie damn near a month before it comes out

That Marvel Ego, it's planet sized

tumblr_n2ndakGLSY1rvzbdgo1_500.gif

Dalek

ron-swanson-laughing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom