• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Ragnarok Early Reactions

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn this movie is going to be huge

fandango is already booked solid for my usual go-to spot 3.5 weeks early

i usually have no problem around now

Aiustis

Do you care about any Marvel movies? Because regardless of how Waititi it is, you already know it needs to tick certain boxes just because of what it is. Which will no doubt be perfect for some... But only if you have some interest in Marvel!

Kind of like Guardians. I only saw it recently and was entertained, but with the way people talk about it I was expecting something more... Unorthodox. It still had the whole heroes, villains, action beats. Which... Of course it would. So will this film.

No interest in Marvel in particular.

I really enjoyed Ant Man the most of what I've seen (Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man and Spiderman). I like Agents of Shield and Agent Carter if those count.

kurahador

aj8DOXY.png

both the justice league trailer and thor ragnarok marketing has reminded me of flash gordon for different reasons. kinda strange coincidence how campy both properties are looking next month (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Not that I think this movie's going to be bad or anything, but James Gunn being positive about it isn't really a surprise. He's on Marvel's payroll, he's not going to say he didn't like it.

I believe he said he’ll only mention the movies if he likes them. If he doesn’t, he won’t say anything. Can’t recall if he said anything about Doctor Strange.

Not that I think this movie's going to be bad or anything, but James Gunn being positive about it isn't really a surprise nor something you should 100% trust. He's on Marvel's payroll, even if he didn't like it, he's not going to say it.

Gunn listens to what his mama told him. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. If he thought the movie was crap, he just wouldn't comment on it. He's very active on Twitter and is a pretty straight shooter, so he's not going to go out of his way to lie about something as frivolous as liking a movie.

robotrock

Banned
Did you guys feel that GOTG2 leaned closer to stuff like Slither or Super? I've yet to see it, but felt the first GOTG didn't really feel all that much like a James Gunn movie.

Did you guys feel that GOTG2 leaned closer to stuff like Slither or Super? I've yet to see it, but felt the first GOTG didn't really feel all that much like a James Gunn movie.

his sense of humor is pretty intact in all of his movies. other than that, no. its more of guardians 1 (too much more of everything tbh, it wasn't as fun to watch even if some of the character moments and jokes were better)

Cuburt

Is the implication here that if someone says they liked Dr. Strange, they must be a shill for Marvel?

People are attempting to make Dr. Strange the new Thor The Dark World since that dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. It's not working though.

People are attempting to make Dr. Strange the new Thor The Dark World since that dead horse has been beaten to a pulp. It's not working though.

or maybe some people found both movies (or either) to be exceedingly dull? not everything has to be a conspiracy or hivemind meme argument or whatever.

Thanks. Missed that one. I remembered him posting about Civil War and Ant-Man.

Is the implication here that if someone says they liked Dr. Strange, they must be a shill for Marvel?

How in the world is that your take away from that lol

Goddamn, praise for these three movies just means Gunn just got on my “do not believe his lies” list

He doesn’t really have a reason to lie.

okdakor

Not that I think this movie's going to be bad or anything, but James Gunn being positive about it isn't really a surprise nor something you should 100% trust. He's on Marvel's payroll, even if he didn't like it, he's not going to say it.

James Gunn made a facebook post just for people like you
https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10154620912066157

Was lucky enough to be invited to the Thor: Ragnarok Premiere last night.
And I loved it. I sat in the "director's row" with the Jons (Favreau and Watts) and Captain Marvel's Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, and Favreau and I laughed loudly, perhaps even inappropriately so, at nearly everything Jeff Goldblum did. In fact, I might say the Grandmaster is my new favorite character in the Marvel universe if it weren't that Miek makes his debut in this film.
If I ever die, and go to heaven, the first thing I'm going to see are all my dead pets. And then God will lead us all over to a screening room where I can watch an epic Miek trilogy.
Anyway... I don't think any film of the modern era has captured the batshit crazy fun of 80's classics like Flash Gordon and Buckaroo Banzai as well as Taika Waititi has here. I felt like I was fourteen watching a magical VHS tape that exploded into something grand. It's the most colorful of all Marvel films -- I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is practically sepia-tone in comparison -- and it's also the funniest.
I think Chris Hemsworth is finally able to go full-Thor and full-Hemsworth, charming and hilarious. Tessa Thompson is perfect as Valkyrie (my other new favorite character), and Taika as Korg steals every scene he's in. In casting that role, I think Taika was very lucky that Kronans have the same exact accent as New Zealanders.
I told Mark Ruffalo on Friday night he was the greatest actor in the world, and he didn't let me down. I didn't think Hulk could get better that he was in the first Avengers, but I think he's captured here as well or better than he's ever been captured in film OR comics.
So, please, go see this freaking movie, unless you're one of the people on Twitter who tweeted me last night that comic book movies aren't supposed to be fun. I don't quite get that but, you know, if that's your thing, all good.
And please comment below, but leave out the ones where you accuse me of loving the movie because I have to love the movie because I work for Marvel. Because the simple truth is, I don't have to do anything, and I haven't loved all of the movies since I've been at Marvel. So there.
Have a great day, everybody!

JdFoX187

Banned
James Gunn's long facebook posts are embarrassing.

That's cool though. Hope he goes nuts on GOTG3.

What? How? Do you know what that word means?

On topic, I've noticed the runtime listed for showings is 130 minutes. So were the reports of being 90 minutes just Taika talking shit to rile people up?

What? How? Do you know what that word means?

On topic, I've noticed the runtime listed for showings is 130 minutes. So were the reports of being 90 minutes just Taika talking shit to rile people up?

I thought the joke he made was 90 minutes runtime.... with 40 minutes of credits

LotusHD

Banned
That makes more sense. I guess I either wasn't paying attention to the second half, or whatever I happened to read it left that part off.

Nah, I recall several people freaking out about it being 90 or 100 minutes (there was a thread), and then I think afterwards at some point he made the joke about it being 90 minutes with 40 minutes of credits

Top Bottom