• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Ragnarok Early Reactions

Sounds like pretty generic positive feedback (what did they like specifically about the film?) guess they can't go into too much detail. Going to see it opening week like I do almost every super hero film, Thor is still my favorite Marvel hero, hope this film can redeem his MCU Incarnation. Afraid he'll be overshadowed by Hulk though :/.

Buckle

Does anyone find it worrying that Thor is essentially encroaching on Guardians territory??
Not really.

Marvel's more earthbound heroes usually have a habit of getting involved on the cosmic side from time to time.

hertog waiting for this Wasp scene in MCU
And Jeph Loeb tried putting them back together in his Ultimates.

....before subsequently having her be eaten by The Blob.

Jesus. He really did a fucking number on that universe. You'd think they sent him in as a hitman.

The Kree

Banned
Not really.

Marvel's more earthbound heroes usually have a habit of getting involved on the cosmic side from time to time.

Thor is not typically an earthbound hero though. His movies should have been primarily set out in space from day one. This is what a Thor movie should look like. Aliens and monsters and demons and wormholes and all that.

yeah but what does petyr feel about it

95382ea250697532241c87e06fcd689d.gif

this is a funny movie. i gotta watch it again.

Cipherr

Does anyone find it worrying that Thor is essentially encroaching on Guardians territory??

No? You... you know they literally meet after this movie is over right? And fight together against Thanos? Thor is in space just like Guardians. Honestly one of the things they have gotten right is a similar aesthetic and feel for the cosmic part of Marvel.

All the colors and styles are consistent when we see Thor off Asgard in space and when we see Guardians out there too.

What is it about these films that bring out the stupid in people?

Success.

StoopKid

No? You... you know they literally meet after this movie is over right? And fight together against Thanos? Thor is in space just like Guardians. Honestly one of the things they have gotten right is a similar aesthetic and feel for the cosmic part of Marvel.

All the colors and styles are consistent when we see Thor off Asgard in space and when we see Guardians out there too.

Success.

It honestly does feel like that.

Basically the new cool things to hate on the internet.

DJChuy

In Waititi we trust. His last two films got a 96 and 97% on RT.

I'm hyped for this. Got my Mondo cups from the Alamo Drafthouse pre-ordered. The merchandise for this film are great; very colorful and eye-catching.

MrBS

Sounds promising. There day one just for Waititi but I've liked what I've seen in the trailers so far. I hope this can usher in a new era, a renaissance if you will, of superhero movies only being one and half hours long.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What Thor comics are good?

read the comic that is from. 11 issues, self contained. you will love the character after.

Thor: God of Thunder vol 1&2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0785166971/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078516698X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jason aaron and esad ribic have a great run on thor

2012's Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron is also great.

we are all 3 talking about the same book

The Kree

Banned
And the two Ragnarok stories this movie is borrowing from were written by Roy Thomas, Thor #272-278, and the other by Michael Oeming, Thor Vol. 2 #80-85. The second one is better than the first.

BigDes

Gillen's run is also great but you need to read the dire JMS run before it as Gillen was basically brought in when JMS got bored and fucked off halfway through.

Gillen salvaged it into something great though

Temp_User

Already sold on the movie with Waititi . . . . but would still wait for reviews to decide if to watch it on Week One or if i have free time on subsequent weeks.

Reading this thread, it dawned on me that I never watched a Waititi movie and that I should probably correct that asap. Added What We Do in the Shadows to my queue on Netflix, will try to watch before the week ends. I'm kinda excited.

Quit lying to yourself. Ultimate universe sucks. Only one good thing came from it, and that was Spidey. And even that is inferior to regular Marvel Spidey.

You had me until the bolded part. Not after Straczynski laid his icky fingers on poor 616 Spidey buddy... not after Straczynski...

Sounds promising. There day one just for Waititi but I've liked what I've seen in the trailers so far. I hope this can usher in a new era, a renaissance if you will, of superhero movies only being one and half hours long.

I don't know if that runtime is accurate anymore, if it ever was. He did mention a 100 min. runtime in July. In August its length was being reported as 130 min., to which he replied on twitter by saying that it's 90 min., but with 40 min. of ending credits. Given how quirky he can be and depending on how you want to look at it, that could have been him debunking the 130 min. runtime or jokingly confirming it. In any case, it's still being listed on many sites as being 130 min. long. I think one of the critics tweeting impressions yesterday said that it was definitely longer than one and a half hours, but couldn't give an exact runtime.

Shaneus

This is amazing.

I'm so damn happy they decided to play up Hemsworth's comedic side. He's great.
He really is.

I also saw What We Do In The Shadows which was so much fun. I had some friends over and we were laughing the whole night.

I definitely need to get around to his other ones though.
Boy is really great too, but even though it was pretty light hearted it was a little more of a downer than I was expecting.

Still well worth checking out, though!

Riposte

I guess I shouldn't be surprised the MCU interpretation of Ragnorak is basically a comedy like every other one.

"looks/feels like an 80's video game" really annoys me, because they are probably talking about a modern videogame with vaguely related 80s aesthetic, like Hotline Miami or w/e.

The Dark World was an okay movie and is only as forgettable as any other Marvel movie, even the good ones.

MrBS

I don't know if that runtime is accurate anymore, if it ever was. He did mention a 100 min. runtime in July. In August its length was being reported as 130 min., to which he replied on twitter by saying that it's 90 min., but with 40 min. of ending credits. Given how quirky he can be and depending on how you want to look at it, that could have been him debunking the 130 min. runtime or jokingly confirming it. In any case, it's still being listed on many sites as being 130 min. long. I think one of the critics tweeting impressions yesterday said that it was definitely longer than one and a half hours, but couldn't give an exact runtime.
Awwww. Christmas is cancelled!

Not seen nor do I have any interest in other Thor movies.

Waititi is the only reason I'm going to see it.

Do you care about any Marvel movies? Because regardless of how Waititi it is, you already know it needs to tick certain boxes just because of what it is. Which will no doubt be perfect for some... But only if you have some interest in Marvel!

Kind of like Guardians. I only saw it recently and was entertained, but with the way people talk about it I was expecting something more... Unorthodox. It still had the whole heroes, villains, action beats. Which... Of course it would. So will this film.

Blader

I don't get why people involved with this movie saying they're finally playing up the humor and Hemsworth's funny side. The first two Thors had plenty of humor, and probably too much in the latter (like, Darcy's intern boyfriend).

Top Bottom