• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Ragnarok Early Reactions

Buckle

Yeah, seems they've changed up where/when in the movie that happens.

edit: I also love the idea of Hela giving no fucks and just ambushing Thor & Loki while they ride the bifrost. She's gonna be bad ass.
Its a shame, Cate Blanchett's reaction to grabbing the hammer was so damn good in the first version.

The thing that annoys me about the "fun" description is when it's used to invalidate any actual criticism someone might have.

"I like the humor in parts, but I think they told TOO MANY jokes which kind of undercut the story."
"Well sorry, it couldn't be dour like Batman vs. Superman or some kind of serious Oscar movie, guess you hate fun."
As if there isn't a middle ground that plenty of MCU movies have hit.

"The third act was way too messy."
"Well, it's a superhero movie, what do you expect, they're all like that. Ugh, I bet you went in wanting to hate this, sorry, some of us actually like having fun."

^ Sadly, those aren't hyperbole.

hertog

Looks like another sterile safe pc "funny" marvel flick. Unless reviews are really postive I will skip this

mjc

Looks like another sterile safe pc "funny" marvel flick. Unless reviews are really postive I will skip this

giphy.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Better PC than Mac.

hertog

But this is just not for me. Only marvel films I liked were Iron man, first hulk and winter soldier. Those movies actually had some tension. And hulk wasn't even very good.
Ow and I enjoyed parts of guardians of the galaxy.

Shaneus

So an all male cast would've been okay, but two women in the movie and all of a sudden it's too... "PC"?

Give me a fucking break.

Edit: So, only movies where women basically existed as a sidekick/assistant to the main male lead. Gotcha.

Vire

I love Eagle vs Shark... Hopefully Waititi keeps the same sort of the weirdness for this movie! :)

But this is just not for me. Only marvel films I liked were Iron man, first hulk and winter soldier. Those movies actually had some tension. And hulk wasn't even very good.

You're avoiding the question. Why is it a problem that the villain is a woman?

Define what you mean by tension?

As in marvel always tries to be so inoffensive as possible. Is it a forbidden word on neogaf?

Lol why do you need to be offended

And clearly if you’re so hardened to it you wouldn’t be offended anyway. Jesus.

The slave joke in Spiderman needed a lengthy retort obviously. ��

i love that that joke got under some people's skin lol

I got no problem with the fact she's a woman. But you know there will be no real end battle between her and thor.

I actually don't know, because the movie isn't out yet. But if you know what you're talking about and you're paying attention, you know that Thor uses the Odinforce to battle Hela in the climax of the movie as shown in multiple trailers.

I guess you won't own up to the fact that you had to go out of your way to make this about her being a woman, with nothing to back up your shitty argument. Real classy.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Its a weird world when i am more excited for a Thor movie than a movie with the justice league teaming up.

This movie looks fun and exciting and its a good thing.

Vire

Have you seen his other stuff? It's all as wonderful as each other. Honestly don't think I could pick a favorite.
I also saw What We Do In The Shadows which was so much fun. I had some friends over and we were laughing the whole night.

I definitely need to get around to his other ones though.

Wait.

Did they completely change the entire context of that scene? Even ignoring the ally backdrop, I don't think Loki was even there originally.

Loki wasn't in that specific shot with Thor's reaction before, but he was in that scene (you could see him in that original overhead shot with Mjolnir's destruction blowing them both away). They were both on earth together looking for Odin after meeting with Doctor Strange. Now this scene appears to be happening elsewhere on earth or in another realm entirely.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Women make up around 50% of this world's population. A lot of the world is starting to get its head out of its own ass and starting to give them equal respect and representation as equal human beings, even though we still have a long way to go.

Remind me again, how is that political correctness?

Its the same as people equating white supremacy as a legitimate political position, its not.

Not

Banned
Wait.

Did they completely change the entire context of that scene? Even ignoring the ally backdrop, I don't think Loki was even there originally.

Was ANY of this movie shot on a set or location? They can just change up the entire setting for a trailer lol

Women make up around 50% of this world's population. A lot of the world is starting to get its head out of its own ass and starting to give them equal respect and representation as equal human beings, even though we still have a long way to go.

Remind me again, how is that political correctness?

Its the same as people equating white supremacy as a legitimate political position, its not.

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality looks like oppression." Of course some men are going to freak out about "PC culture" when they start seeing women given equal representation.

We should all be celebrating the fact that Marvel has finally given a woman the central villain role in one of their movies, it only took them 17 tries. At least she's going to make up for some of that by absolutely killing it. Blanchett is amazing.

Vire

I’m going to enjoy when the super serious comic book fans get all bent out of shape about this one.

Top Bottom