• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First critics impressions for Doctor Strange (Social media) - Embargo lifts Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing is, that considering the look of shows like Hannibal, Game of Thrones, Westworld, Mr Robot, Black Mirror, etc., that's actually a compliment
Off topic but: Judging by your avatar you're a fan, how is the serin terms of quality compared to the better stuff of Mr.Robot and Game of Thrones?

CLEEK

Oh, agreed. Very few movies are. What was the last? Avatar, through its CG and motion capture?

If you're looking at the VFX side of films, there's a gradual improvement year-on-year, with certain films either introducing entirely new effects or setting the benchmark.

Star Wars, Tron, Toy Story, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Matrix, Avatar and so on.

If Doctor Strange does have 'mind bending' effects or utilise a new of existing technology in new ways, then it might join that list. Probably won't, but you can't dismiss it out of hand before ever watching it.

Off topic but: Judging by your avatar you're a fan, how is the serin terms of quality compared to the better stuff of Mr.Robot and Game of Thrones?
It's too early in the series/season to make a fully-informed judgement, but I'm really enjoying it. The cold clinical sci-fi mixed with the classic Western makes for an intriguing tonal juxtaposition. The central questions and the exploration of its core ideas of artificial consciousness are all very interesting and even come across as unsettling. It's high concept sci-fi with huge potential to expand into any number of directions

Have you already seen the film?
Don't even pay him any mind lmao
It's too early in the series/season to make a fully-informed judgement, but I'm really enjoying it. The cold clinical sci-fi mixed with the classic Western makes for an intriguing tonal juxtaposition. The central questions and the exploration of its core ideas of artificial consciousness are all very interesting and even come across as unsettling. It's high concept sci-fi with huge potential to expand into any number of directions
That sounds pretty exciting so I guess this is something i should be checking out.

I gotta tell ya, on a scale of Thor 2 to Air Bud I'm really hoping this turns out to be a Stealing Harvard.

All jokes aside, why is it such a big deal that people feel the need to point out that Marvel movies aren't high art? Is there no place for a solid, well-made, enjoyable blockbuster? I mean, I absolutely recognize that better writing is always welcome, and deviation from standard structure is nice from time to time, but you would think that after the shit sandwich that was BvS earlier this year, and a few other major league disappointments, that we'd have a lot more appreciation for the fact that Marvel movies are always reliably decent at worst, and great general audience blockbusters when they do well.

EDIT: I'm also not a big fan of holding the inflated hype cycle of the fanbase against the movies themselves. Sure, people overhype them, but you're just being a contrarian if you're labelling them as 2/10 movies.

Azazzel

I gotta tell ya, on a scale of Thor 2 to Air Bud I'm really hoping this turns out to be a Stealing Harvard.

All jokes aside, why is it such a big deal that people feel the need to point out that Marvel movies aren't high art? Is there no place for a solid, well-made, enjoyable blockbuster? I mean, I absolutely recognize that better writing is always welcome, and deviation from standard structure is nice from time to time, but you would think that after the shit sandwich that was BvS earlier this year, and a few other major league disappointments, that we'd have a lot more appreciation for the fact that Marvel movies are always reliably decent at worst, and great general audience blockbusters when they do well.

Not enough blue filter.

El Topo

All jokes aside, why is it such a big deal that people feel the need to point out that Marvel movies aren't high art?

I think it's because of the hyperbole, both by critics and during everyday discussions. The nonsense critics and fans wrote about (the depth of) Civil War was laughable.
There's nothing wrong with Marvel movies, although I would hope for more experimentation. They're very solid, they're very reliable, but every once in a while you want something new.

caliph95

I think it's because of the hyperbole, both by critics and during everyday discussions. The nonsense critics and fans wrote about (the depth of) Civil War was laughable.
There's nothing wrong with Marvel movies, although I would hope for more experimentation. They're very solid, they're very reliable, but every once in a while you want something new.

Has there been hyperbole from critics considering most of them never get past 70 and have the same criticism.

weshes195

I am still not sure whether Marvel get a pass or whether Zach Snyder is held to a much higher standard than other directors. The hypocrisy over Zod's snapped neck is shocking. I mentioned the fact Christopher Reeve In Superman 2 was smiling and did everything but "you can't see me" as he killed Zod and he mentioned how in the director's cut Zod was arrested. I googled around and I found no footage of this. Just people insisting they remembers it a bit like the Berenstein Bears thing. Then there's Zemo plan vs Lex, Bucky vs Martha, shit shows like Thor 2 and iron man 2 etc

You are just plain trolling or lying right? It took me 2 freaking seconds to google this and find it. I also own the cut with this in it. If you are gonna troll, put some effort into it.

ViciousDS

Banned
Marvel keeps rolling while DC can't seem to make a good movie since the DK trilogy

Excited!!!! I have enjoyed every marvel movie......outside Thor 2

El Topo

Nah. CW deserved the 7.5/10 average critic score it got.
Damn good movie.

It's a good movie. It's incredibly stupid and shallow, but it's entertaining and well done. I don't mind good reviews, but movie critics praising the movie for its depth and for tackling issues in a smart manner should probably consider changing jobs.

Henkka

Banned
I think the idea that Marvel movies look like TV comes from the fact that they aren't color-corrected to hell and back in post like BvS or something.

duckroll

It's a good movie. It's incredibly stupid and shallow, but it's entertaining and well done. I don't mind good reviews, but movie critics praising the movie for its depth and for tackling issues in a smart manner should probably consider changing jobs.

People who tell others to stop working because of a difference in opinion should probably consider changing hobbies.

Dominator

There was a thread posted (yesterday I think) with a clip of some action sequence. I thought the effects looked really weak in that one scene and the action looked stiff and boring.

I'm not planning on watching anything else about it, just gonna go IMAX 3D on release and hope for the best.

Replicant

I think the idea that Marvel movies look like TV comes from the fact that they aren't color-corrected to hell and back in post like BvS or something.

Originally they were trying to ground the film to reality and that results in documentary-looking films instead of the more stylish, arty approach most films possess. But that seems to go away slowly as they introduce non-realistic elements. You can see this in GOTG and soon, Dr.Strange. I think by the time Infinity War roles out, the film's will no longer bound to reality in terms of look and feel.

El Topo

People who tell others to stop working because of a difference in opinion should probably consider changing hobbies.

Is that your general stance regarding such comments and does it apply to all professions and all opinions expressed? Which hobby in particular should I give up due to exaggerated comments about hyperbole?
People are free to consider Civil War a deep and thought-provoking movie if they want to, they are free to work as whatever they want. They are free to call Rob Schneider a genius actor for all I care.

Sony

Nintendo
There are so many new possibilities now that Strange is part of the MCU. At a certain point, the current MCU cast has to step aside. The new cast can be introduced as the same characters in a different universe, Strange being the bridging piece.

Litan

Originally they were trying to ground the film to reality and that results in documentary-looking films instead of the more stylish, arty approach most films possess. But that seems to go away slowly as they introduce non-realistic elements. You can see this in GOTG and soon, Dr.Strange. I think by the time Infinity War roles out, the film's will no longer bound to reality in terms of look and feel.
I can see that for the rest of the Phase 3 movies, but not IW and A4. The Russos are working with cinematographer Trent Opaloch again and pretty much every movie he's done have that documentary style ( District 9, Elysium, Chappie, Winter Soldier, Civil War).

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm hoping this will be another character that I have never heard of before, then end up loving. When you don't read comics and have no expectations, it's easy to be pleasantly surprised.

I had never heard of Ant-Man until last year and now he's pushing Batman as my favourite superhero.

guek

Banned
Is that your general stance regarding such comments and does it apply to all professions and all opinions expressed? Which hobby in particular should I give up due to exaggerated comments about hyperbole?
People are free to consider Civil War a deep and thought-provoking movie if they want to, they are free to work as whatever they want. They are free to call Rob Schneider a genius actor for all I care.

I believe he's ribbing you for using hyperbole to insult critics for being hyperbolic.

Point of clarification though, critics did not by and large praise Civil War for being a deep and thought provoking movie. That's a revisionist history of your own making, likely in response to over enthusiasm by fans. Critics praised Civil War for making a blockbuster about an ideological difference where both sides were almost equally both parts valid and flawed. And before you chime in with saying Rogers/Stark was off his rocker and totally wrong, I challenge you to peruse the OT and look at some of the discussion. Viewers were absolutely split on who was right or wrong about the conflict. As much as I hate to do this, compare that with a movie like BvS where the motivations for the conflict are due to a, imo, absurd misunderstanding rather than an ideological clash. TBH, I was pretty shocked that critics didn't cling to supporting either Steve or Tony in their reviews and were able to consider both arguments in the film whereas fans were keen to obey the marketing campaign and choose a side. Civil War was absolutely ambitious in both its narrative and its set pieces which is something relatively rare for blockbusters. That does not mean it was high art or particularly deep.

El Topo

I believe he's ribbing you for using hyperbole to insult critics for being hyperbolic.

That was the joke though. :(

Point of clarification though, critics did not by and large praise Civil War for being a deep and thought provoking movie. That's a revisionist history of your own making, likely in response to over enthusiasm by fans.

Yes and no. While I used hyperbole, I did actually go through a couple of reviews at RT just to check. More than enough reviews praised the movie for its smart narrative or for having a complex conflict.

And before you chime in with saying Rogers/Stark was off his rocker and totally wrong, I challenge you to peruse the OT and look at some of the discussion. Viewers were absolutely split on who was right or wrong about the conflict.

Look at the American election and tell me that viewers being split on an issue is meaningful. Heck, look at the 538 women/men voting split and tell me to find reason in that. Look at the countless cases where people hold different opinions. Just because an opinion is popular (or even held by the majority) doesn't mean it has merit.
The movie goes out of its way to pretend that both sides are reasonable, when at no point that was ever the case, barring comic book logic (i.e. fundamental imbalance). The movie masterfully deceives viewers/lulls them in. That is certainly an enormous accomplishment, see BvS on how not to do it, but that doesn't mean that both sides have (equal) merits, as many people (or critics) pretended.

Posting on GAF imo. :)

Make me.
Please don't.

dabig2

Point of clarification though, critics did not by and large praise Civil War for being a deep and thought provoking movie. That's a revisionist history of your own making, likely in response to over enthusiasm by fans. Critics praised Civil War for making a blockbuster about an ideological difference where both sides were almost equally both parts valid and flawed. And before you chime in with saying Rogers/Stark was off his rocker and totally wrong, I challenge you to peruse the OT and look at some of the discussion. Viewers were absolutely split on who was right or wrong about the conflict. As much as I hate to do this, compare that with a movie like BvS where the motivations for the conflict are due to a, imo, absurd misunderstanding rather than an ideological clash. TBH, I was pretty shocked that critics didn't cling to supporting either Steve or Tony in their reviews and were able to consider both arguments in the film whereas fans were keen to obey the marketing campaign and choose a side. Civil War was absolutely ambitious in both its narrative and its set pieces which is something relatively rare for blockbusters. That does not mean it was high art or particularly deep.

I agree with this. To also add: any talk I saw of Civil War being different was put purely in context of the MCU itself - maaaaaybe CBM in general - but definitely not some general statement on the entire movie industry in abstract. It's things like Civil War ending on a more personal note and foregoing the end of the world CGFest that most other MCU movies and CBM do at the end that resonated with a lot of critics and viewers and that was what the vast majority of praise was for Civil War.

caliph95

Yeah not saying MCU films are not safe and groundbreaking classics because i'm not. I always confused when some people act like critics were in love and worshiping films when they seem generally fine with them and it just that Dc films (Haven't seen suicide squad) weren't that good.

guek

Banned
The movie goes out of its way to pretend that both sides are reasonable, when at no point that was ever the case, barring comic book logic (i.e. fundamental imbalance).

I found the movie actually goes out of its way to show how both sides are equally unreasonable for relatable reasons which contributed significantly to its narrative success.

You're critical of critics who say it had a complex and smart conflict but I don't see why. It did! But again, I don't think that necessarily makes it a deep movie. It just means it's character driven.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just booked my tickets for Tuesday (UK)

Cinema does saver tuesdays too, so only cost me £9 for two

Mentioning script issues and "not in my top 5" already in impressions that are usually overwhelmingly positive means that it's gonna have 85% on rotten tomatoes at the absolute max and no more than a 70 on metacritic

FYI only marvel movies to get over 70 on metacritic are iron man, GOTG, winter soldier, and civil war

swcDKUWl.jpg

lS7sbYCl.jpg

guek

Banned
Mentioning script issues and "not in my top 5" already in impressions that are usually overwhelmingly positive means that it's gonna have 85% on rotten tomatoes at the absolute max and no more than a 70 on metacritic

FYI only marvel movies to get over 70 on metacritic are iron man, GOTG, winter soldier, and civil war

Maybe don't convince yourself of the final reception based on a handful of early tweets. These are critic social media reactions, NOT from fan screenings. As much as people want to pretend otherwise, critics aren't universally in love with the MCU either. Their average scores are pretty reasonable across the board and like you pointed out, very few of them get overwhelming praise.

This guy from IndieWire for example gave Civil War a positive review on RT but still only gave it a C

edit: damnit, George!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom