• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

I'll be 71. Assuming I even live that long. Sonofabitch.

But on the bright side, most of us will be around for 2019. On the other hand, it's not as if Blade Runner was pitched as literal future history.

Add to that, the first editions of Dick's 1968 novel set Deckard's pursuit of Batty and company in a post-apocalyptic 1992, in a recognisable but somewhat depopulated San Francisco. It's not always very appropriate to get hung up on dates in SF.

Mannyquin

Neo Member
Yo, I've only seen Arrival, Sicario and Incendies, and Arrival is by far my favorite. It's actually my favorite sci-fi film of all time, if you consider the Thing to be horror rather than sci-fi. (Oh, and Eternal Sunshine)

Enemy > Incendies = Prisoners > Sicario >> Arrival

don't @ me

I still need to catch Enemy and Incendies, but I think Sicario and Arrival are head-and-shoulders above Prisoners. I saw Prisoners, liked it, but didn't really jump on the Villenuve bandwagon until Sicario. Prisoners is an impeccably made film, but I felt that the script and "everything is connected" nature of the narrative felt a little too silly and pulpy given the heavy nature of the material.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I still need to catch Enemy and Incendies, but I think Sicario and Arrival are head-and-shoulders above Prisoners. I saw Prisoners, liked it, but didn't really jump on the Villenuve bandwagon until Sicario. Prisoners is an impeccably made film, but I felt that the script and "everything is connected" nature of the narrative felt a little too silly and pulpy given the heavy nature of the material.

you do not feel that del Toro's character in Sicario is "silly and pulpy given the heavy nature of the material" ?

you do not feel that del Toro's character in Sicario is "silly and pulpy given the heavy nature of the material" ?

I think that's a valid criticism, but at the same time, my subjective opinion is that no it did not rub me the same way with that particular film. *shrugs*

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
No one should sleep on Polytechnique, that movie is haunting. I need to see Maelstrom and August 32nd on Earth one of these days.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Jumping in here

I liked Sicario, and didn't care all that much for Arrival. (Didn't think it was bad, by any means, just not what I was expecting, per se)

Should I watch Enemy/Prisoners/etc before Blade Runner?

(I know they're obviously not connected, but just wondering if they're worth my time)

Kayhan

Jumping in here

I liked Sicario, and didn't care all that much for Arrival. (Didn't think it was bad, by any means, just not what I was expecting, per se)

(I know they're obviously not connected, but just wondering if they're worth my time)

Prisoners is great. Enemy you can skip.

oneida

Jumping in here

if you want to see them, then you should because they are definitely worth your time. No need to squeeze them in before Blade Runner.

I genuinely don't understand the hate for Enemy. It's easily his most interesting film imo.

Jumping in here

Prisoners is great. Watch Enemy if you like Kafka and/or weird psychological symbolism-heavy thrillers

0mahb3elm2py.jpg

Enemy is one of Villeneuve's best films. It just happens to also be more of an acquired taste compared to his other works, due to the Lynch/Kafka-esque nature of the film.

Sicario = Prisoners > Enemy > Arrival

I was really let down by Arrival after reading all the positive reviews and already having been a fan of Villeneuve. It didn't do anything for me.

need to watch Incendies

oneida

I think there's a lot of common ground between Incendies and Prisoners, moreso than any of his other work. If you like one you'd probably like the other. Incendies is less upsetting if Prisoners made you really uncomfortable, but it's still dark.

Jarmel

Banned
I think there's a lot of common ground between Incendies and Prisoners, moreso than any of his other work. If you like one you'd probably like the other. Incendies is less upsetting if Prisoners made you really uncomfortable, but it's still dark.
Uh, I found it to be the other way. Incendies deals with some dark material.

jett

D-Member
Cincinnati. But a google search indicated that there are several other Dolby Cinema screens out there with the red cast problem. Search "dolby cinema red aisle lighting screen" and you'll find this is a problem being reported at several locations (but not all).

If the theater has red aisle lighting in the front of the hall there should be a horizontal black matte at the bottom of the screen to prevent the red cast, but it doesn't seem they are doing this.

I saw GotG2 and the bottom third of the screen had a red cast, very visible in every dark scene, will never return to that auditorium. You can't unsee it.

Here's an even worse example than my local one. Some poor bloke paid extra to see Wonder Woman in Dolby Cinema and this is what he got for his money!

nziTaiU.jpg

I know a theater like this (leaves the lights on the stairs), but at least the lights aren't colored red lol.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Where the hell are the soundtrack preview cues

It's kind of mind-boggling that no one talks about the music either in the interviews or from the twitter impressions.

The only thing I got is that they are using the same instruments from the first movie. Villeneuve said that as much as he wanted to be free (creatively) from the original movie, the sound and music were one of the elements that he insisted being reminiscent and very familiar to the first movie.

https://youtu.be/G-B10rmUs9Q?t=6m49s

oneida

I suppose it depends on what gets you emotionally going.
The bus scene and the rape material are rough stuff.

Maybe my perspective on Incendies is affected by
the events of the film largely taking place in the past and knowing that their mother survives them. In contrast, there's an immediacy to the events of Prisoners.
But yeah, both are dark. I also think they're more similar to eachother than any other two of his films.

If we're playing this game

Enemy > Incendies > Sicario > Arrival >>>>>>Prisoners

I'm just glad you agree that Enemy fucking ruled

My birthday is on the 9th, and the film is out on the 6th. So I guessed that would make one hell of a birthday present, right? Nope. In my area the film will be out on the 20th :/ Oh well...

I want to see the new blade runner but I don't know I don't which version of the original to watch.

Any of them. Final Cut is probably the best bet though, that or Director's.

(They're basically the same cut, Final Cut is a slightly touched-up version of the Director's Cut)

Fjordson

i am going to be controversial

denis villenueve has already made more great films than ridley scott

dont @ me
I don't think that's too crazy. Ridley has always been inconsistent (imo). Lots of clunkers in his filmography.

But I'm not sure Villeneuve has made anything as important as Alien or Blade Runner yet.

And of course part of that is just the passage of time with those films and the mythologizing that comes with that, but I think both hold up pretty damn well as sci-fi classics.

vulva

Maybe my perspective on Incendies is affected by
the events of the film largely taking place in the past and knowing that their mother survives them. In contrast, there's an immediacy to the events of Prisoners.
But yeah, both are dark. I also think they're more similar to eachother than any other two of his films.

I'm just glad you agree that Enemy fucking ruled

Enemy is fantastic. I'm a sucker for anything that could be a Twilight Zone episode though.

Top Bottom