• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

They've got red fucking flashlights pointed at the screen in that picture.

These are left on and it adds up to a red flashlight.

oh2F8Ge.jpg

mattp

from what i read, that red light bullshit is amc's fault. the reference for dolby cinema's isnt supposed to have that many lights. also they should be blue
amc basically just added a bunch of extra red lights...because reasons, it seems

Trago

You should watch his DP/30 interview. Denis loves working, just moving on from one project to the next. Kinda like Ridley Scott and other prolific directors.

The amount of mental energy he must have going from one film to the next must be crazy. I'd imagine that I would need a long break after making five films back to back.

mattp

dammit guys, now you have me frantically trying to find any info i can on my local dolby theater, to make sure they dont have this stupid problem, and im not finding anything. i think the just finished installing them cuz i had never seen the option for dolby cinema before

Fjordson

You should watch his DP/30 interview. Denis loves working, just moving on from one project to the next. Kinda like Ridley Scott and other prolific directors.
I definitely get that vibe from him also (just going by behind the scenes stuff and interviews). Vice has some decent behind the scenes videos up and he just seems to love making movies.

I remember him talking about Blade Runner during press stuff for Arrival. He just hopped right over to 2049 once he finished that.

overcast

I think I'll just end up watching this at my Edwards with MoviePass. It doesn't cover the premium formats and I'd rather not spend 18 bucks when my theater has nice screens.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Also, aisle lighting should never be so bright that it's filling the lower third of the screen. Hell, most aisle lighting is barely bright enough to illuminate the seat from the armrest down.

Legit lol'd at this.
You're lucky if that's the case where you are. All the theaters around here have enough ambient light that you could read a book from anywhere in the auditorium even if they shut the projector off.
Shit is shameful.

shaneo632

Holy shit that's insane. Any cinema near me you basically need to squint like fuck or get your phone out to see the aisle letter/seat number (thankfully most people squint).

As for Blade Runner I can see it at 1:15pm Thursday at a multiplex 8 minutes walk away with my Limitless card, or pay £14 to watch it in a fancy cinema with sofas that's a 4 minute walk away and will show it at 10am. Hmmmm. To treat myself or not?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's a miserable experience. I only go to see movies earlier.

CloudWolf

Was a bit worried by the trailers, but Denis Villeneuve hasn't disappointed yet, so I can definitely believe these reactiona.

Simo

Not sure if it's been posted but they're moving up the review embargo ending from next Monday to this Friday. Studios expecting a 93%+ RT rating etc.

Kadayi

Banned
Local Arts Cinema is showing the Original; tomorrow night, going to indulge in seeing it on the big screen again in prep for 2049 next week.

Also, aisle lighting should never be so bright that it's filling the lower third of the screen. Hell, most aisle lighting is barely bright enough to illuminate the seat from the armrest down.

They've got red fucking flashlights pointed at the screen in that picture.

Yup. It's garbo. I watched Rogue One in a dolby theater and it was annoying as hell. Almost walked out.

Surfinn

Cincinnati. But a google search indicated that there are several other Dolby Cinema screens out there with the red cast problem. Search "dolby cinema red aisle lighting screen" and you'll find this is a problem being reported at several locations (but not all).

If the theater has red aisle lighting in the front of the hall there should be a horizontal black matte at the bottom of the screen to prevent the red cast, but it doesn't seem they are doing this.

I saw GotG2 and the bottom third of the screen had a red cast, very visible in every dark scene, will never return to that auditorium. You can't unsee it.

Here's an even worse example than my local one. Some poor bloke paid extra to see Wonder Woman in Dolby Cinema and this is what he got for his money!

nziTaiU.jpg

Wow is this fucking real? Who can honestly watch a movie like this, let alone pay for it?

Not sure if it's been posted but they're moving up the review embargo ending from next Monday to this Friday. Studios expecting a 93%+ RT rating etc.

Wow. Have studios actually ever pushed for a move UP on a review embargo?

fade_

Wow holy shit. The AMC right near me is just constructing their Dolby Cinema now, I'm gonna have to scope it out before I dare purchase a ticket.

local amc one has red lighting but not this obnoxious and they are dimmed during the show.

Cincinnati. But a google search indicated that there are several other Dolby Cinema screens out there with the red cast problem. Search "dolby cinema red aisle lighting screen" and you'll find this is a problem being reported at several locations (but not all).

If the theater has red aisle lighting in the front of the hall there should be a horizontal black matte at the bottom of the screen to prevent the red cast, but it doesn't seem they are doing this.

I saw GotG2 and the bottom third of the screen had a red cast, very visible in every dark scene, will never return to that auditorium. You can't unsee it.

Here's an even worse example than my local one. Some poor bloke paid extra to see Wonder Woman in Dolby Cinema and this is what he got for his money!

nziTaiU.jpg
Wow. The one in Times Square (AMC) is a flagship of sorts, exhibits no such issues. Can't tell the projector is on when showing black. They even used to troll you in the opening "Welcome To Dolby Cinema" bumper regarding that.

The red lights are there at the Dolby theater in my AMC, but it doesn't bleed onto the screen (if it does, I've only caught it during trailers).

Robbie Collin‏Verified account
@robbiereviews
I mean this as a serious if slightly weird compliment: I feel like I've just seen the last blockbuster ever made.

Holy moly.

What the unholy fuck...

So wait they did it?

Hmm. I really didn't think any of his other films were that good but if he really did make a good BR movie I will be happy, and I'd buy him a case of beer if I had any money.

Don't know when I'll be seeing this since, well financially things just took a gigantic turn for the worse for me so I have more to worry about than not seeing Bladerunner 2 in theaters right now.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if the studio was overly worried how this was going to review considering how the initial movie reviewed and also due to the pacing/tone.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn, assuming this does well at the BO WB is absolutely killing it this year.

Was on the fence but now I'll definitely be seeing this.

Neith

Banned
Also, it should be realized that Denis works with extremely talented people. It's not just him.

That being said his teams are the best in the business at doing what they do.

JB1981

Yes the red lighting is an AMC thing but don't let that discourage you from seeing a movie in Dolby. The movies still look great

JB1981

Disagree 100%. The Atmos theater here looks far better than the Dolby Cinema at AMC. The red light ruins the image.

Ehhh I saw Apes and Wonder Woman in Dolby Cinema. Sure the red light is noticeable at the edges of the screen but it really doesn't ruin the image. It's unfortunate sure but the picture is still pretty stunning

First off I love watching Adam as a builder/maker he can be fascinating to hear him talk through a build.

On the flip side he is prone to completely over the top gushing over fairly mediocre* stuff. I find it hard to listen to him with any seriousness as a reviewer of movies. Also at times he can get far too caught up in trying to politically correct/gender equality correct. Perhaps that's just a Californian thing :)

*Mainly based on his love of The force awakens as brilliant and JJ's Trek - but that's another thread :)

YGiY1uD.gif

Real subtle there.

Top Bottom