• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

I will not go to see it on theater.

I will buy the Blu Ray edition, which will cost me more, but I can enjoy it quietly at home. And the experience will be better, because videoprojector at home.

Your video projector is somehow anywhere near a theater level? Come on. The movie is tanking and most showings have 5 people in it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
When watching it. it seems like a 90 minute movie. You get sucked into how amazing everything is and the time just flies.

This was me the entire time:

LeanNegligibleCuscus-size_restricted.gif

Collin

Banned
Loved this even though I’ve never fully loved the original. For the first hour, I was thinking it might be a little too much on the slow, uneventual side of things, but by the climax I realized that the methodically beautiful slow burn worked in the movies benefit and made the final 30 minutes all the more impactful and intense. And dude, that score rocks - it balances noise and dissonance with subtle beauty. Plus, the fucking cinematography and coloring work, holy shit. I wouldnt hesitate to say it’s one of the prettiest looking films ever. It sounds hyperbolic, but really, what recent film even comes close?

Nesotenso

I mean, the whole giving birth thing is just so weird, especially since women today are socially penalized for choosing not to have kids.

I don't get this at all. What does it have to do with this movie?

The movie is not about penalizing or not punishing anyone for having or not having kids. Like WTF?

NateDog

Your video projector is somehow anywhere near a theater level? Come on. The movie is tanking and most showings have 5 people in it.
I'm even more surprised to hear this now after seeing it here (Ireland) for a second time today. Last week on Sunday my theatre was completely full. Even a week later in an earlier showing (which was more of a day showing as opposed to an evening) there were still I'd say at least 30-50 people there.

But yeah, this really is a wonderful movie to watch in a theatre and I can't see many home setups being good enough to get close to matching it. There's a big reason why it is now the only movie I've ever gone to see more than once in a cinema.

Wow, did not expect to spark that much conversation. This thread title was originally about why it's a box office disaster and I, as someone who initially wanted to see that movie and then after reading thinkpieces, decided not to help box office sales, posted why I personally have no desire now to support it.

Still not going see it. I'm sure it's beautifully shot, and it would have been prettier in theaters, but I'm voting with my wallet.

After reading some of the posts here, I'm still unconvinced that what I've heard initially regarding a critical view of the movie is wrong. Even the article I've read defending the movie re: feminism isn't actually doing it for me. I mean, the whole giving birth thing is just so weird, especially since women today are socially penalized for choosing not to have kids. As for the Oriental thing, yeah that's just my opinion about the erasure and marginalization of Asian representation in Hollywood media.

Sorry, your opinion about anything in this film is pointless. Why are you even in this topic anymore?

Wow, did not expect to spark that much conversation. This thread title was originally about why it's a box office disaster and I, as someone who initially wanted to see that movie and then after reading thinkpieces, decided not to help box office sales, posted why I personally have no desire now to support it.

Still not going see it. I'm sure it's beautifully shot, and it would have been prettier in theaters, but I'm voting with my wallet.

After reading some of the posts here, I'm still unconvinced that what I've heard initially regarding a critical view of the movie is wrong. Even the article I've read defending the movie re: feminism isn't actually doing it for me. I mean, the whole giving birth thing is just so weird, especially since women today are socially penalized for choosing not to have kids. As for the Oriental thing, yeah that's just my opinion about the erasure and marginalization of Asian representation in Hollywood media.
Different strokes, but why would you read a bunch of criticism/commentary and formulate an opinion on the validity of said criticism/commentary without having seen the movie?

diaspora

Ideally this'll do well on BR and over time- it's an extraordinary piece of filmmaking and probably the best thing since Fury Road.

televator

The movie is not about penalizing or not punishing anyone for having or not having kids. Like WTF?

I'm trying very hard to make the connection in my mind as to how that's a problem for the film. I can't do it. Im not a woman though, but I'm open to being fem-xplained to.

velociraptor

So I saw the original Blade Runner and I wasn't "particularly" impressed. The visuals look fantastic but I guess I expected more given all the hype. It's a good movie but not 'oh my god this is one of the best sci-fi movies'. Is the new movie better?

DirtyCase

Different strokes, but why would you read a bunch of criticism/commentary and formulate an opinion on the validity of said criticism/commentary without having seen the movie?

This is all I could think while reading that post. Its insane. I've heard and read up so much on breaking bad and the commentaries or themes to the point that I know a fair bit about the story, what unfolds, and how people view/criticise the series.

A part of me wants to really watch the whole series and another part of me doesn't due to time constraints and subject matter. Therefore me not having watching Breaking Bad I don't feel its appropriate to form such a hard line opinion on the validity of criticisms or commentaries around the series.

It just doesn't make any sense.

FWIW really enjoyed the film and the two times I saw it the theatres were pretty much full. Even more anecdotally from what I've heard from my friends and other posters on here they've had similar experiences with their theatres being pretty much full. This thing may have more legs that what was initially thought.

robotrock

Banned
So I saw the original Blade Runner and I wasn't "particularly" impressed. The visuals look fantastic but I guess I expected more given all the hype. It's a good movie but not 'oh my god this is one of the best sci-fi movies'. Is the new movie better?

I don't enjoy the original all that much but I loved this one.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Do you have to see the first before watching this btw? Was thinking about going to a showing later today

I'd say yes, definitely. You can follow what's going on without seeing the original, but imo it's highly recommended to watch BR1 and then see 2049 immediately after.

RDreamer

Do you have to see the first before watching this btw? Was thinking about going to a showing later today

I would say yes.

I don't think you have to remember every single detail or something, but I can't imagine it having nearly the same impact without ever seeing the first one. It leans pretty heavily on it.

DirtyCase

I wouldn't say its necessary to watch the original to enjoy the new one.

However, I would recommend taking the 2 hours to watch the original. Not only is the original a great film but it will increase you enjoyment of the new one. They have some really nice tie-ins and you get a deeper appreciation for how things have progressed in the world of Blade Runner.

Lunaray

It depends on what aspects you enjoyed from the first movie. Frankly, I don't think this movie is better than the first.

Glass Rebel

Saw it with a few friends, my brother and my gf. We all loved it but the underrepresentation of Asian characters coupled with the Orientalism soured my gf‘s experience. I noticed it as well and was groaning internally so I wasn‘t surprised when she mentioned it.

I think my stance on the topic is that it is a better piece of filmmaking than it is a piece of popular culture.

Ctlead

Banned

If you say so. ¯\(ツ)

It's not essential, but recommended. You'll understand and appreciate a lot more if you watch the original beforehand.

Tuorom

Neo Member

You are missing out.

The best thing you can do is watch it and form your own opinion on it, not from online bloggers who make a living making "think pieces".

Idk how the birth thing can be construed to be a negative view on women. It is treated as a miracle in the movie, and it is in context, and it is in real life.

Ashhong

Saw it with a few friends, my brother and my gf. We all loved it but the underrepresentation of Asian characters coupled with the Orientalism soured my gf‘s experience. I noticed it as well and was groaning internally so I wasn‘t surprised when she mentioned it.

I think my stance on the topic is that it is a better piece of filmmaking than it is a piece of popular culture.

I really wonder what kind of experiences you or your GF had previously in your life to be bothered by that. I don't mean that in any insulting way. I'm Asian myself and honestly couldn't have cared less about not seeing an Asian. It just never crossed my mind. Its hard for me to understand but I respect that it was an issue for you.

Timbuktu

Gf and I just got back from a Imax 4DX screening, £20 a ticket.

cMfkFGP.gif

BFI? How was that? I was just thinking that it probably doesn't help 2049 that all the film lovers are also going to London Film Festival this week. I've been to the cinema five times this week. Not sure if that would hurt 2049's box-office in london.

N7.Angel

giphy.gif

Doubling down on ignorance, even when people have written several posts informing you. Amazing.

Ashhong

doenst exactly work that way, needs to make double the production budget really. in the end it'll do fine, just makes studios more cautious funding a pricy sci-fi fi flick like this for awhile.

All he said was that it's out of the Bomba territory, and I agree with that. There have been much worse bombas this year

I saw this new personal favorite on the first Saturday in 3D and again on Thursday in 2D. Then picked up the last art book at B&N and looking forward to bluray. About as much support as I've given any new-release movie.

Plus, revisited Final Cut and then the original theatrical cut again on bluray. The voiceovers in the latter are still...awkward lol.

Kinyou

I don't get it either. The ability of procreation is an inherent difference between organic and artificial live. That's not a controversial idea.

Tuorom

Neo Member
On that note, has any bleak depressing dystopian movie been successful? They're kind of few and far between

Snowpiercer made around $86 million on a $40 million budget. Brazil bombed. Children of Men only did around $70 million. The original Blade Runner was a box office dud. If we expand it to bleak sci-fi in general, The Road and Blindness did poorly as well.

Lots of people don't want to think while watching a movie apparently.

And I find it funny that people are saying this is the best scifi film that has come out in a long time, when Arrival came out last year (and was also directed by Villeneuve).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ah well, was hoping it would have legs in its second weekend. I spread the word - tried to get others to see it, hyped it up, etc. I did my part.

In the end, I'm just glad it exists. No amount of "bomba" can take that away.

That article is the very definition of 'hot take'.

Some people's inability to comprehend art just because it does not match their checkpoint list is nothing short of astounding.
Where's the checklist? Conversations like this must really scare you.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Where's the checklist? Conversations like this must really scare you.
I'm shivering here, you've seen through me.

* Orientalisation -- there's orientalisation in the original by virtue of being cyberpunk of its era, not so much in 2049; it's much more of a LA setting, with references to both the original and AI's dystopian interpretation of Asimov (AI's Pleasure City -> 2049's Las Vegas). Check out K's apartment complex scenes - this is present-day LA ethnos. Not enough Asians for that article's author taste? Well, too bad, lady, it's not a Chan-wook Park's movie.

* 'Person of color can't see themselves in speculative futures' -- again, what person of color was missing from that speculative-future LA? Maoris? Uzbeks? Arabs? She would've had a point if the setting was non-LA, but it is LA.

The issue I have with such articles is that Blade Runner 2049 has its highs and lows, but such articles don't bother with those. They are 'above' the actual artistic merits and demerits of the work, no sir, they are about the misrepresentation of ethnicities in dystopian futures.. This is what you write about when you have nothing else to say on a subject.

I'm shivering here, you've seen through me.

* Orientalisation -- there's orientalisation in the original by virtue of being cyberpunk of its era, not so much in 2049; it's much more of a LA setting, with references to both the original and AI's dystopian interpretation of Asimov (AI's Pleasure City -> 2049's Las Vegas). Check out K's apartment complex scenes - this is present-day LA ethnos. No enough Asians for that article's author taste? Well, too bad, lady, it's not a Chan-wook Park's movie.

* 'Person of color can't see themselves in speculative futures' -- again, what person of color was missing from that speculative-future LA? Maoris? Uzbeks? Arabs? She would've had a point if the setting was non-LA, but it is LA.

The issue I have with such articles is that Blade Runner 2049 has its highs and lows, but such articles don't bother with those. They are 'above' the actual artistic merits and demerits of the work, no sir, they are about the misrepresentation of ethnicities in dystopian futures.. This is what you write about when you have nothing else to say on a subject.
2049 most definitely had Asian cultures sprinkled throughout parts of the movie. None of that was lost.

Mr. Tibbs

They haven't covered anything. You are under the gross misunderstanding that theaters don't earn anything from the gross.

Whoops, that's a very good point and a huge oversight on my part. So for the studios to cover just the production costs, it would have to gross in excess of something like $300 million?

tauroxd

Blade Runner past its budget worldwide and is out of the "Complete Bomba" category. Rejoice, BR fans!

Well, with a worldwide gross of $158,578,387, at least they've covered the production costs, though recouping prints and advertising is looking like a long shot.

I'm going to quote myself:

That's not how it works. $150 million it's how much they spent making the movie. You need to add how many millions the spent in distribution and marketing.

Also you need to know that every theater takes a little out of every ticket, and the international market gets an ever bigger cut, especially China.

So the movies need more than just $150 millions to break even.

Also, people from high places in WB have said they need $400 millions to break even. Thay may be using some of the old "Hollywood accounting", but that should be a reference.

I love the movie, probably one of the best things I have ever seen in the las 5 or 10 years. but there is no way they break even :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom