• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First critics impressions for Doctor Strange (Social media) - Embargo lifts Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Lot of snobbery going on, as always with Marvel review threads. Say what you will about how safe the movies are, but saying that they have no sense of heart is downright laughable.

What I can say about the MCU is that it is the most reliable bang for you buck movie machine out there and absolutely no one else has come close to being able to replicate what they've done.

And while there is a forumla at times so far in the pantheon we have:

Two Corporate Action Films (Iron Man 1 and 2),North Mythyology sci-fi fantasy adventure (Thor), A WW 2 film (First Avenger), a Space Pulp Opera (Guardians), a film exploring PTSD (Ironman 3),A 70s style Spy flick (Winter Soldier), two more typical pure super her movies (Hulk and Ant-Man), Three massive continuity driven cross over team up blockbusters (Avengers, Age of Ultron and Civil War) and Thor: The Dark World.

And coming up we have a Magical Fantasy Adventure (Doctor Strange) and a Teen High School adventure (Spider-man Homecoming)

And then we have the street level Netflix stuff..

And they are all connected to varying degrees and are building to a climactic film in Infinity War. It's unprecedented.

Now maybe I'm being a bit loose with my genres, but the point is the films are rather different even if they have a Marvel style, I feel like Super Hero is less a genre and more a container to easily present a bunch of different ones.

That's putting it lightly.

vaderise

Lot of snobbery going on, as always with Marvel review threads. Say what you will about how safe the movies are, but saying that they have no sense of heart is downright laughable.

Heart of MCU is what made it so successful. Them being formulaic or not is open to discussion but ''no heart'' ?
Yeah, no.

That's putting it lightly.

Meh... so lump the Iron Mans and the Cross over flicks with the Super Hero movies and put a star next to 3 to denote that it is absolutely a personal drama about PTSD in a Super Hero package and that the cross over ones are heavily dipped in continuity of all that came before (which is rare for films that feature so many different leads characters)

My point still stands that the films vary in genre and that Super Hero works more as a package or contextual framework for bringing different genres together more so than as a genre all on it's own.

pants

Nah, sorry. I don't expect this film to be anything but more of the same. I'll see how people are feeling about it in a few weeks and catch the end of it's theatrical run if the buzz is good.

Meh... so lump the Iron Mans and the Cross over flicks with the Super Hero movies and put a star next to 3 to denote that it is absolutely a personal drama about PTSD in a Super Hero package and that the cross over ones are heavily dipped in continuity of all that came before (which is rare for films that feature so many different leads characters)

My point still stands that the films vary in genre and that Super Hero works more as a package or contextual framework for bringing different genres together more so than as a genre all on it's own.

They really don't vary that much in genre. They are all slightly different flavors of superhero movie. I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but you are reaching really hard to praise their variety here. Marvel movies absolutely follow a formula.

I really like Iron Man 3 fwiw, but you're kinda confusing themes for genre here.

Monocle

Yeah that's some straight up revisionist stick-in-the-mud grumpycat bullshit.

Nah, sorry. I don't expect this film to be anything but more of the same. I'll see how people are feeling about it in a few weeks and catch the end of it's theatrical run if the buzz is good.
Good thing Marvel's version of "the same" = awesome diverse action movies with similar tonal notes (mostly the humor) but distinct identities.

duckroll

Iron Man is an action movie about a billionaire who has to reconsider his place in the world when he realizes that his actions and contributions have negative effects. His answer is to put on a robot suit and kill a business rival.

Iron Man 2 is an action movie about a billionaire who has to reconsider his place in the world when he realizes that his actions and contributions have negative effects. His answer is to put on a robot suit and kill a business rival.

Iron Man 3 is an action movie about a billionaire who has to reconsider his place in the world when he realizes that his actions and contributions have negative effects. His answer is to put on a robot suit and kill a business rival.

I really like Iron Man, I fucking LOVE Iron Man 3, and I'm kinda annoyed by Iron Man 2. What's are the differences? The execution. The tone. The script. Thematically they're largely the same movie recycled over and over, and genre wise there's no question as to what the target audience is when shit starts exploding.

And this is OKAY. We can say all that, and still acknowledge they are good movies. There's no need to overcompensate or pretend they are more than what they are.

P.S. Shane Black rocks.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Good thing Marvel's version of "the same" = awesome diverse action movies with similar tonal notes (mostly the humor) but distinct identities.

Monocle is right, the dumbed-down humour most of the films share is why he and many others of us don't like the films.

zoukka

Honestly, I feel that for something like film, a 4 star scale makes so much more sense. It's not really a math formula, it's largely based on feelings and opinions.

1 = That was awful and I gained nothing of value from that at all
2 = It was okay, nothing special though
3 = That was pretty good
4 = Really enjoyed it and have lots of interesting insights from the components

On that scale, the lowest you can go is 2.5/10 when converted. How is 2/10 not hyperbolic lol. Pls zoukka!

I'm willing to up my ante to 2.5!

God damn you. Now I really want a DC Watchowski movie.

Give them Superman and force them to have another writer to temper their crazy shit and we've got a masterpiece that will probably bomb but I'll be the happiest man on earth.

It would probably suck like Jupiter Ascending. :(

Jupiter Ascending is in Batman and Robin territory for me. Yeah, it sucks but it was one of the most entertaining films that I watched that year. Absolutely hilarious. I'll never be able to take Eddie Redmayne seriously no matter how many Oscars he wins.

Just don't see how the films are "cookie cutter" outside the three act structure and "Hero's Journey" elements that almost every single film use.

Getting bored of any discussion of Marvel descending into how gauche and trivial the films are and how we're all missing some horrible flaw.

Civil War was fantastic, this probably wont be bad either. Some people need to seriously tone their vitriol down.

Monocle

Monocle is right, the dumbed-down humour most of the films share is why he and many others of us don't like the films.
Dumbed down? Like, not intelligent enough? Or do you hate wisecracking in general?

Never mind, I don't really care why you don't like thing. I've never not enjoyed a Marvel movie's humor, so whatevs.

They really don't vary that much in genre. They are all slightly different flavors of superhero movie. I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but you are reaching really hard to praise their variety here. Marvel movies absolutely follow a formula.

I really like Iron Man 3 fwiw, but you're kinda confusing themes for genre here.

Touche... I disagree that they don't vary but they probably don't vary as much as I was trying to say they were.

Ashhong

It would probably suck like Jupiter Ascending. :(

Maybe, maybe not. JA could have been better if it wasn't so convoluted. Give them a comic book character with a simple premise and a good story and let them do their thing.

Either way I would be there day one.

Give them Superman and force them to have another writer to temper their crazy shit and we've got a masterpiece that will probably bomb but I'll be the happiest man on earth.

Jupiter Ascending is in Batman and Robin territory for me. Yeah, it sucks but it was one of the most entertaining films that I watched that year. Absolutely hilarious. I'll never be able to take Eddie Redmayne seriously no matter how many Oscars he wins.

Exactly. They are a staple of WB. I imagine they had to at least have been approached. Aren't one of the sisters taking a break from filmmaking? After Speed Racer, they have my complete loyalty to at least watch anything they do.

DeathyBoy

Banned
One reviewer is saying that there's five sequences in the film that's as revolutionary as Matrix's Bullet Time stuff. I almost would trust smegmalord over an opinion like that.

No lans ever turned a city upside down before in cinema. Nolan I say.

Yeah that's some straight up revisionist stick-in-the-mud grumpycat bullshit.

This was what I was trying to get at

Monocle

Just don't see how the films are "cookie cutter" outside the three act structure and "Hero's Journey" elements that almost every single film use.

Getting bored of any discussion of Marvel descending into how gauche and trivial the films are and how we're all missing some horrible flaw.

Civil War was fantastic, this probably wont be bad either. Some people need to seriously tone their vitriol down.
Marvel movies are just so, um... generic! Yeah, that's it! And predictable. If you're watching a Marvel movie, there is definitely going to be humor and action in it. And not good humor either. Sarcastic humor. Like the kids do on their Twatchats and Facesnaps. Also, the action will be "cool."

Ashhong

Dumbed down? Like, not intelligent enough? Or do you hate wisecracking in general?

Never mind, I don't really care why you don't like thing. I've never not enjoyed a Marvel movie's humor, so whatevs.

Marvel movies are just so, um... generic! Yeah, that's it! And predictable. If you're watching a Marvel movie, there is definitely going to be humor and action in it. And not good humor either. Sarcastic humor. Like the kids do on their Twatchats and Facesnaps. Also, the action will be "cool."

I can't figure out if you are defending or attacking MCU movies.

zoukka

I can't figure out if you are defending or attacking MCU movies.

He's using reverse-psychology to make you feel that the lukewarm action scenes, the ham-fisted thematics and the "funny" one liners are "cool" and the people not enjoying them "old".

Ashhong

He's using reverse-psychology to make you feel that the lukewarm action scenes, the ham-fisted thematics and the "funny" one liners are "cool" and the people not enjoying them "old".

Lol..

I actually realized that I didn't read "not" in his post, so now I see he likes it.

Sounds like they nailed the casting again. They've been good at that.

Yeah, that's one area where I think they've never slipped up.

Marvel keeps pushing boundries? Wat?

Well, they've made films in an awful lot of different genres, like spy (Winter Soldier), space adventure (GotG), fantasy Shakespeare shit (Thor), heist adventure (Ant Man) and so on. Seems like Doctor Strange might again have a different feel and flavour, which is great if they've managed it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, that's one area where I think they've never slipped up.

Well, they've made films in an awful lot of different genres, like spy (Winter Soldier), space adventure (GotG), fantasy Shakespeare shit (Thor), heist adventure (Ant Man) and so on. Seems like Doctor Strange might again have a different feel and flavour, which is great if they've managed it.

In theory, but there's clearly a template there.

Which produces some films that are better than others.?

zoukka

So pushing boundaries is using whatever movie sub-genre fits their superhero catalogue?

Monocle

I wouldn't say old so much as uptight and almost theatrically peevish, like a guy who brings his lance and warhorse to a trombone fight.

pants

That's like your opinion man (same for me)

I dont understand you, you quoted my opinion and offered your opposing opinion in an attempt to, uhm i dunno .. show that i'm 'wrong'? It's opinions, we arent in a debate with facts and stuff. Me offering my opinion shouldn't immediately trigger a contra opinion in response. I'd hope that if you were interested in my opinion to start with you'd ask specific questions about why i feel this way to maybe understand my viewpoint or something. Me saying 'i like sweets!' and you going 'i dont like sweets!' as a reply doesn't stimulate any conversation

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I just can't get any hype for this film. Every time I see it I think of Thor and how that turned out. I've enjoyed most of the other Marvel films (IM2 and Thor 2 are bad, Cap 1 is dull) but something about Benedict Cumberbatch doing magic just makes it seem a bit stupid. Which is weird because I'm enjoying the current Doctor Strange comic book run.

Jay Sosa

It's amazing how (apparently) Marvel keeps putting out this good to great movies with (somewhat) unpopular or rather unknown characters while WB even manages to fuck up movies with Batman and Joker in it.

I just can't get any hype for this film. Every time I see it I think of Thor and how that turned out.

Even though especially the second Thor isn't all that great it's still a good sunday afternoon flick. Honestly that's all I ask for from these kinds of movies.

Let's not act like Thor 2 is as terrible as the new Spiderman movies or Green Lantern.

Cipherr

I think its a natural reaction to someone learning how to reproduce a good product of any kind really. People love the chase, but perhaps get bored once the catch is made (or whatever).

From reading the way people speak of the MCU, you would assume its the easiest, copy and paste, formulaic shit ever.

Yet despite everyone in their mother, from DC to fucking Lego straight up copying the Cinematic Universe vibe; no one else has yet come close to what Marvel has achieved and IS achieving currently.

You would think such a formulaic and easily predictable blueprint would be muuuuch easier to xerox.

Or maybe..... just maybe..

tomtom94

I wonder if anyone's ever considered Pixar and how they put out what has in many ways been a model for the MCU's success.

(I don't think that most of the MCU films come close to Pixar's best, but certainly the production model and formula is similar)

zoukka

I wonder if anyone's ever considered Pixar and how they put out what has in many ways been a model for the MCU's success.

(I don't think that most of the MCU films come close to Pixar's best, but certainly the production model and formula is similar)

How exactly are they comparable?

tomtom94

Well, for one thing, people always talk about "Pixar films" and "Marvel films" rather than "Jon Favreau films" and "Andrew Stanton films" and so on,

But more than anything else, the idea of a studio picking a particular formula and having a strong producer influence (particularly at a story level) seems pretty comparable to me.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

Pixar makes billion dollar movies exploring complex themes of abandonment and the struggle to find self-acceptance that remain accessible to critics as well as children, using boundary-pushing computer animation techniques that have more profoundly changed the cinema landscape in the last 15 years than arguably any other film studio.

Marvel makes billion dollar movies, too.

Glass Rebel

Pixar makes billion dollar movies exploring complex themes of abandonment and the struggle to find self-acceptance that remain accessible to critics as well as children, using boundary-pushing computer animation techniques that have more profoundly changed the cinema landscape in the last 15 years than arguably any other film studio.

I can't even tell what's parody anymore.

I think its a natural reaction to someone learning how to reproduce a good product of any kind really. People love the chase, but perhaps get bored once the catch is made (or whatever).

From reading the way people speak of the MCU, you would assume its the easiest, copy and paste, formulaic shit ever.

Yet despite everyone in their mother, from DC to fucking Lego straight up copying the Cinematic Universe vibe; no one else has yet come close to what Marvel has achieved and IS achieving currently.

You would think such a formulaic and easily predictable blueprint would be muuuuch easier to xerox.

Or maybe..... just maybe..

Exactly no one else has pulled off a Cinematic Universe other than Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom