• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

googy plz.

So basically, the play store event was the event. 24hrs for media to sort their shit together and then publish?

I WANTS IT.

aXfQ18x.png

Let me help you with the responses:

They're launching it on a Saturday?

Keeping my expectations low. We've been toyed with enough.

AndyD

aka andydumi
this is interesting, because it appeared out of nowhere just before the secret googy event. if i remember correctly the same thing happened with some apps previously that became built in features of android (e.g swiftkey flow and the android keyboard). plus no one actually seems to have got into the beta yet.

maybe this means there will be some kind of geofenced location based switching of settings in kit kat, and cover got wind of this and released info early, when they arent ready to actually give out the beta yet.

also cover looks pretty awesome (longer video than the one on their hompy):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0oF92fuDIY

I want something like this just as an app though, or just in the app drawer. Aviate takes over the whole phone, this is for the lockscreen. How about just a widget that I can put on half my main screen and let it change based on location. But the other half stays constant with what I want. Is there something like that?

gutshot

I want something like this just as an app though, or just in the app drawer. Aviate takes over the whole phone, this is for the lockscreen. How about just a widget that I can put on half my main screen and let it change based on location. But the other half stays constant with what I want. Is there something like that?

Google Now?

jokkir

The main problem I have using those replacement launchers like Aviate and Themer is that although it does make your phone look nice, it makes the Android design really inconsistent. Like you're looking at a nice white homescreen with large buttons, nice looking pictures such as:

but then you open the app drawer and it's all in a Holo Dark theme totally different from your homescreen. And even if you change the app drawer to make it looks more like the homescreen, you still have other things that follow the current Holo Dark theme Android has going such as the notification shade and the settings.

It's really inconsistent and really detaches from the experience, in my opinion.

Groof

Uh, the Nexus 4 LTE is.... real?!

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=21721

That's the model number of the LG Nexus 4, and the descriptor says LTE mobile phone. Obviously, the original N4 went through Bluetooth certification last year, and this was filed today.

Wait, but the model number is exactly the same. So that means not a new model but the old one will get LTE support or what? That should be impossible though.

jokkir

Wait, but the model number is exactly the same. So that means not a new model but the old one will get LTE support or what? That should be impossible though.

The components for LTE are in the original model, no? Just that Google locked it out because it wasn't certified or something?

Nexus 4 LTE will be Nexus 5

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Where did that rumour come from? Was there any other information given with it?

Looks like only pricing. One I saw said the Nexus 5 would be $400/$450 for 16/32GB, Nexus 4 would be $300/$350 for 8/16GB.

Doubt that's right though since the Google Play leak showed the Nexus 5 for $350.

Where did that rumour come from? Was there any other information given with it?

This is the source of the Nexus 4 LTE rumor: http://www.android.gs/nexus-5-price-to-be-399-because-of-nexus-4-lte-launch-says-insider/

Everyone laughed it off, but this Bluetooth filing is a smoking gun if I've ever seen one.

This is the original filing for the Nexus 4 from last year: https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=20044

It was later certified for Bluetooth 4 in May 2013: https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=20845

So, this new filing is a THIRD filing for a phone with the same model number as the Nexus 4, which suggests it is an LTE variant.

Groof

The components for LTE are in the original model, no? Just that Google locked it out because it wasn't certified or something?

Nexus 4 LTE will be Nexus 5

Yeah but I thought it was a gimped chip that didn't support all the necessary bands?

Threi

notag
The main problem I have using those replacement launchers like Aviate and Themer is that although it does make your phone look nice, it makes the Android design really inconsistent. Like you're looking at a nice white homescreen with large buttons, nice looking pictures such as:

but then you open the app drawer and it's all in a Holo Dark theme totally different from your homescreen. And even if you change the app drawer to make it looks more like the homescreen, you still have other things that follow the current Holo Dark theme Android has going such as the notification shade and the settings.

It's really inconsistent and really detaches from the experience, in my opinion.
I felt the exact way after trying buzz and aviate launcher. It may look all fancy and nice but the consistency is gone. That's why i went back to good ol' Nova.

So is kitkat coming out before the nexus 5 then? I thought it was simultaneous?

It'll be simultaneous.

Also, all the major, good android blogs, are running with MobileSyrup's Oct 31st rumor -- even the most skeptical ones.

Also, Paul O'Brien, of Modaco mod fame, tweeted this:

Paul O'Brien ‏@PaulOBrien 9h
How exciting to think that (if all goes as per 'the plan'), this time next week, we could be getting our Nexus 5s! :)

Notice he said "getting," meaning they will have shipped to our houses by then.

Someone asked him if he knew something, and he said:

Paul O'Brien ‏@PaulOBrien 8h
Always. ;-) RT @mr_bridger @PaulOBrien you know something we don't? ;-) Lol.

It sounds like announcement and launch all next week.

Finally, this dev tweeted at him, and said he should be excited, because the phone is excellent:

Simran Kamboj ‏@kambojsimran 3h
@PaulOBrien the software has some nice changes too, Google now opens as a transparent overlay over the home screen now

It'll be simultaneous.

Also, all the major, good android blogs, are running with MobileSyrup's Oct 31st rumor -- even the most skeptical ones.

Also, Paul O'Brien, of Modaco mod fame, tweeted this:

Someone asked him if he knew something, and he said:

It sounds like announcement and launch all next week.
Ah, ok. The couple posts about saturday had me confused and didn't want to miss it.

SimleuqiR

So Thursday it is then? Are they going to send out invites to an event? Or will it be an info dump?

I have a feeling the press already got their hands on the phone and we will get reviews on both kitkat and the phone the day of.

I think that's how they did it last year but their event was canceled by Idris Elba, and all we got was media info.

gutshot

I have a feeling the press already got their hands on the phone and we will get reviews on both kitkat and the phone the day of.

I think that's how they did it last year but their event was canceled by Idris Elba, and all we got was media info.

So they are going to have an event but it will only be for show? The media will have already seen the devices and software update? Is that what you're suggesting?

I'm confused.

uberluigi

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help but I need help lol. My htc one battery has been draining faster than usual so I looked at my battery usuage and I noticed the android system has been using up most of the power, between 70% and 95% any ideas how to fix this problem

Shambles

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help but I need help lol. My htc one battery has been draining faster than usual so I looked at my battery usuage and I noticed the android system has been using up most of the power, between 70% and 95% any ideas how to fix this problem?

Ahhhhh. You need to put those pictures in a quote box so you're not killing us desktop people. (What a sad state of affairs when a 24" monitor gets destroyed by a phone screen shot)

I'd just try rebooting the phone. Perhaps a glitch just got the phone stuck in a wakelock. Also I don't see the display listed as consuming power. Does HTC just wrap the display power into Android System? If so that graph would be normal.

I'm just glad everything seems to be coming together for a launch next week. Super psyched.

I agree with rebooting the phone. That's not normal for an htc one at all.

SimleuqiR

So they are going to have an event but it will only be for show? The media will have already seen the devices and software update? Is that what you're suggesting?

I'm confused.

Yes. Because when the the 4 was announced (10/29) the Verge had a preview video up on their site: http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569540/google-nexus-4-preview-price-release-date

There was no event as Sandy was going to hit NYC pretty hard. The media already had their hands on the device prior to this happening.

MattDoza

My Android system usage is usually the same. Has been ever since updating to 4.3 (GPe). But the battery life is normal. I assumed it was just a bug or something.

yyzjohn

Banned
So I deleted BBM for Android. Probably shouldn't have bothered installing it in the first place but wanted to see why BB fanboys were so high on it. I wasn't impressed.

SimleuqiR

So I deleted BBM for Android. Probably shouldn't have bothered installing it in the first place but wanted to see why BB fanboys were so high on it. I wasn't impressed.

I uninstalled it because I never received an email from them to activate the damn thing. The persistent icon bothered the heck out of me, and I could not remove it as I didn't have access to the apps settings without them sending me that email.

OH well.

uberluigi

Banned
Ahhhhh. You need to put those pictures in a quote box so you're not killing us desktop people. (What a sad state of affairs when a 24" monitor gets destroyed by a phone screen shot)

I'd just try rebooting the phone. Perhaps a glitch just got the phone stuck in a wakelock. Also I don't see the display listed as consuming power. Does HTC just wrap the display power into Android System? If so that graph would be normal.

Oops my bad. I tried rebooting but nothing happens, tmobile told me to factory reset but don't want to do that..

Threi

notag
I actually replaced viber with bbm. The ui isnt quite to android guidelines (and honestly not quite to ios guidelines either) but it works and is smooth.

Apparently the persistent icon is due to blackberry refusing to use GCM for push notifications (and google now mandates that all apps that run in the background have an icon in the notification bar unless they use GCM)

VPhys

So, what's the over/under there will be a Verizon version of the N5? And that it will also be in the play store so I don't have to wait an hour at the Verizon store to buy a phone outright.

So, what's the over/under there will be a Verizon version of the N5? And that it will also be in the play store so I don't have to wait an hour at the Verizon store to buy a phone outright.

The same odds as me hooking up with Miranda Kerr tonight, getting her pregnant, mooching off her for the rest of my life, and my penis turning into solid gold for no reason whatsoever.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I actually replaced viber with bbm. The ui isnt quite to android guidelines (and honestly not quite to ios guidelines either) but it works and is smooth.

Apparently the persistent icon is due to blackberry refusing to use GCM for push notifications (and google now mandates that all apps that run in the background have an icon in the notification bar unless they use GCM)

Don't you actually need other people to use bbm or vibr? The reason I use what I do is because people actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom