• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Just wondering, but has Google started to integrate Waze traffic mapping technology into regular Google Maps?

I ask because I'm starting to see live traffic data on small residential streets which I would never see before. It's pretty cool actually.

yes, they'll show accidents and other reports and mark them as 'from waze' in google maps.

Where would you guys recommend me to find some nice minimalistic/modern wallpapers for my Nexus 5? I want it to be one of the cool moving wallpapers too if possible.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where would you guys recommend me to find some nice minimalistic/modern wallpapers for my Nexus 5? I want it to be one of the cool moving wallpapers too if possible.

Stay away from live wallpaper. It is just an unnecessary battery suck.

Personally I just use wallbase. Set it to the largest resolution possible since it'll crop.

Stay away from live wallpaper. It is just an unnecessary battery suck.

Personally I just use wallbase. Set it to the largest resolution possible since it'll crop.

Yeah, but they move and look cool! haha. My battery lasts a whole day using the stock live wallpaper right now, so its ok with me.

I will check out this site though, thanks.

Ok, another question!

Does anyone know about any sports and twitter widgets that are in a monotone style? I want some all white (or mostly all white) widgets that can replace myFalcon twitter widget, and my SportsNet widget.

I wonder if there is an easy way to just modify the widget on my PC, haha.

edit: Im stupid, Falcon has settings that work great for me. I do still want a sports one though, haha.

droid as in android phones... Thought was kind of obvious with LG G2 and HTC One being Mentioned and Verizon isn't the only carrier with those phones.

You couldn't pay me to be on Verizon, or ATT or Sprint. I was asking opinions on both LG G2/HTC One because those are my 2 top choices from T-Mobile, i have 0 interest in owning another iphone and i had a horrible experience with the Galaxy S3 but most of those problems came from the shitty Sprint service.

Fyi. You got that feedback because android fans don't appreciate android phones being called droids. It stems from Verizon's marketing ruining the android reputation when everyone thought all androids were cyborg branded phones. It was a really annoying time...

Now onto phones. Get a moto x dude. 400 bucks with the moto maker.

Fatalah

Just wondering, but has Google started to integrate Waze traffic mapping technology into regular Google Maps?

I ask because I'm starting to see live traffic data on small residential streets which I would never see before. It's pretty cool actually.

Seeing live traffic on smaller streets is unrelated to the Waze acquisition. It likely has to do with the growth of smartphones in your area.

Google has integrated Waze's traffic incidents, which are labeled as "Waze reported".

MattDoza

Anyone else having trouble with Dynamic Notifications? My phone's screen kept turning on from the proximity sensor. Had to completely uninstall to get it to stop.

Morokh

Just updated my Galaxy S3 to 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and since the thing restarted I have a 14 Mo Samsung download in queue stuck at 3%, anyone know what it is supposed to be ?

Emwitus

what can they do? make it worse?
r3JYghV.jpg

I love it.
41kyc60.jpg

Ok AndroidGAF, I need some advice from you guys.

I bought a Galaxy S2 a little more than a year ago and while I'm currently happy with it's overall performance (I mostly use the camera and social apps / browsing). However I'm annoyed at having to charge it during the day so I don't run out of battery by the end of the day.

I'm about to go on a trip to Europe next month (UK/Netherlands) and I'm looking into getting a replacement (unlocked) phone, since it's the cheapest way (I live in Venezuela and everything is like 1000% more expensive here). I'd like a phone with good/great battery life and good camera (at least not worse than my current one). MicroSD slot would be a big plus but not entirely necessary. I still want it to be a good/nice phone that could last me a couple of years hopefully.

What are my options?

Fuck...my phone is completely dead(wont revive, charge, anything), and I have to get a new one right now. I'm on Sprint and have a full upgrade available. I asked this a month ago I believe, but only remember the Moto X coming up. What are my two best options, because I'm pretty much going to get one in the next 30 minutes. LG G2 and Nexus seem to be the best choices right now. What is the screen like on either of those incase the store doesn't have a functioning model? Battery Life?

Shit, I wanted to wait for the M8, but I'll have to just do without.

Edit: Also, should I buy from a Sprint Store, or Best Buy?

this_guy

Fuck...my phone is completely dead(wont revive, charge, anything), and I have to get a new one right now. I'm on Sprint and have a full upgrade available. I asked this a month ago I believe, but only remember the Moto X coming up. What are my two best options, because I'm pretty much going to get one in the next 30 minutes. LG G2 and Nexus seem to be the best choices right now. What is the screen like on either of those incase the store doesn't have a functioning model? Battery Life?

LG G2 or Nexus are the best 2 (Moto X is not tri-band and won't take full advantage of Sprint's network upgrades/Sprint Spark). G2 will have better battery life and camera but Nexus of course gets pure Android and quicker updates.

LG G2 or Nexus are the best 2 (Moto X is not tri-band and won't take full advantage of Sprint's network upgrades/Sprint Spark). G2 will have better battery life and camera but Nexus of course gets pure Android and quicker updates.

Hmmmm, thanks for this. I'm leaning toward the N5 just because it's a tad smaller with the same resolution and seems to have a slightly higher ppi. The camera looks loads better on the G2, but I don't really care about it. Is the N5 faster as as processor goes?

this_guy

Hmmmm, thanks for this. I'm leaning toward the N5 just because it's a tad smaller with the same resolution and seems to have a slightly higher ppi. The camera looks loads better on the G2, but I don't really care about it. Is the N5 faster as as processor goes?

They both share the same processor - Snapdragon 800. You're choosing battery life and camera (G2) vs pure Android.

They both share the same processor - Snapdragon 800. You're choosing battery life and camera (G2) vs pure Android.

Ah, ok. I'll go with the Nexus unless I see something that catches my eye about the G2. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Came through just in time for a fellow gaffer.

Also, awesome avatar. I'm a Luigi fan in Houston :^)

this_guy

Ah, ok. I'll go with the Nexus unless I see something that catches my eye about the G2. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Came through just in time for a fellow gaffer.

Also, awesome avatar. I'm a Luigi fan in Houston :^)

Thanks. Too bad the Texans blew this year, but at least they got rid of Kubiak.

Is such a thing possible?

yes. you can have multiple google accounts signed into some apps, like gmail and the play store.

Edit: Also, should I buy from a Sprint Store, or Best Buy?

LG G2.

the battery life advantage over the Nexus 5 cannot be understated.

Aldebaran

I bought a Galaxy S2 a little more than a year ago and while I'm currently happy with it's overall performance (I mostly use the camera and social apps / browsing). However I'm annoyed at having to charge it during the day so I don't run out of battery by the end of the day.

I'm about to go on a trip to Europe next month (UK/Netherlands) and I'm looking into getting a replacement (unlocked) phone, since it's the cheapest way (I live in Venezuela and everything is like 1000% more expensive here). I'd like a phone with good/great battery life and good camera (at least not worse than my current one). MicroSD slot would be a big plus but not entirely necessary. I still want it to be a good/nice phone that could last me a couple of years hopefully.

What are my options?
The Moto G has amazing battery life and it's a great phone for the price, and of course there is always the Nexus 5. Oh, Motorola is probably going to announce the Moto X for the european market, so heads up.

bob page

How are the AOSP roms for the HTC One? I'm planning to get one from the new T-Mobile deal but will go with the Nexus 5 if AOSP gimps the battery life or camera.

I've noticed my phone seems to be losing more battery life lately since it updated to 4.3 and I think I'm finally ready to try out rooting it.

Does this seem to be an accurate guide to follow for my phone?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2143479

Doesn't seem so hard, but with it being a little old and my phone having 4.3 now, would that cause any complications? Really just want to get stock Kit Kat on there and remove all the garbage ATT bloatware.

jokkir

I've noticed my phone seems to be losing more battery life lately since it updated to 4.3 and I think I'm finally ready to try out rooting it.

Does this seem to be an accurate guide to follow for my phone?: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2143479

Doesn't seem so hard, but with it being a little old and my phone having 4.3 now, would that cause any complications? Really just want to get stock Kit Kat on there and remove all the garbage ATT bloatware.

Make sure it's the correct model number as the one in XDA. If it isn't that would lead to problems and could be severe. Because Note 2 has several versions (TMO, ATT, etc)

tino

Banned

What are my options?

Lenovo p780, 4000 mah battery

Man so disappointed with LG build quality on my Nexus 5. Thing is creaking everywhere on the back plate. Same thing happened with my Nexus 4.

I opened up the back cover and put some paper in there to stop the creaking. I hope it doesn't fuck up my phone or anything.

Man so disappointed with LG build quality on my Nexus 5. Thing is creaking everywhere on the back plate. Same thing happened with my Nexus 4.

I opened up the back cover and put some paper in there to stop the creaking. I hope it doesn't fuck up my phone or anything.

You should return it and get another. I've bought two (one for me and my flatmate with no build issues).

LG G2.

the battery life advantage over the Nexus 5 cannot be understated.
I already got the N5 by the time I read this lol

I haven't had any creaking, but it feels like its going to shake its innards out when it vibrates. Not a smooth vibration at all. Only other issue I have is the color isn't very vibrant at all. Is it better on the LG G2? Also, as far as the G2 goes, the button on the back worried me. I don't put cases on my phones and carry them in my pocket. Would accidental power button presses be an issue? I can still take my N5 back tomorrow. What should I do? I'm willing to switch if the G2 is more vibrant and the power button isn't an issue.

I already got the N5 by the time I read this lol

I haven't had any creaking, but it feels like its going to shake its innards out when it vibrates. Not a smooth vibration at all. Only other issue I have is the color isn't very vibrant at all. Is it better on the LG G2? Also, as far as the G2 goes, the button on the back worried me. I don't put cases on my phones and carry them in my pocket. Would accidental power button presses be an issue? I can still take my N5 back tomorrow. What should I do? I'm willing to switch if the G2 is more vibrant and the power button isn't an issue.

I've accidentally pressed the power button only like twice, but it was in my pocket with my big bulging wallet. I've gotten used to pressing it on the back, plus there's also knock on. Colors seem fine? I dunno I haven't compared it to the N5 side by side so I can't really tell.

MarkusRJR

Is it safe to buy a Samsung phone or are they getting updated soon. I'm looking at either an S4 mini or a Galaxy Mega (comparable pricing, not sure what form factor I want). I don't really care about specs since most modern android phones above $180 aren't the laggy mess they used to be. I just want to continue to get updates.

Fatalah

Is it safe to buy a Samsung phone or are they getting updated soon. I'm looking at either an S4 mini or a Galaxy Mega (comparable pricing, not sure what form factor I want). I don't really care about specs since most modern android phones above $180 aren't the laggy mess they used to be. I just want to continue to get updates.

I think Samsung announces flagships in Q1-Q2 every year.

Hah, funny how your two choices are mega vs. mini.

So... Moto X prices seem to have plummeted. I can get a new one for $300. Am I retarded for wanting to move from a Nexus 5 to Moto X? I really love the size of it...

thespot84

So... Moto X prices seem to have plummeted. I can get a new one for $300. Am I retarded for wanting to move from a Nexus 5 to Moto X? I really love the size of it...

you're not nuts, the x is awesome. You can even put GEL on it easily without root, so it functions like the n5 with the extra goodness of always listening and active notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom