• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Isn't your only interaction with Android from a recently-bought pap-addled 'Wiz phone?

eSDRh.gif

gs2 > htc one > note 3

and lots of roms!

Visceir

I haven't had any creaking, but it feels like its going to shake its innards out when it vibrates. Not a smooth vibration at all. Only other issue I have is the color isn't very vibrant at all. Is it better on the LG G2? Also, as far as the G2 goes, the button on the back worried me. I don't put cases on my phones and carry them in my pocket. Would accidental power button presses be an issue? I can still take my N5 back tomorrow. What should I do? I'm willing to switch if the G2 is more vibrant and the power button isn't an issue.

Chose the G2 over the N5 and really happy with it. Haven't had any issues with the power button, although I've gotten more used to just knocking on screen rather than using the power button. The screen is super bright and colorful, I usually keep mine at below 50% brightness.

With some light browsing here and there and phone calls my battery has lasted me 3 days which is also really impressive compared to my old phone that I had to plug in every night.

bob page

I'm going to T-Mobile in a few hours, what should I get? HTC One or the Nexus 5? I remember some in this thread were hating on the One a while back but I like it a lot.

Also, as far as cameras go after the updates, which performs better?

marrec

Banned
My dad just got one but I don't think I'd be able to stomach that size. Especially since I wear slimcut pants.

Yeaa... it's pretty big. I usually just don't put it in my pocket unless I get up from my desk.

That screen though... it's so magnificent.

In that case HTC One is your choice. Has a better camera too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The new Wiz will actually try to conform to UI design guidelines I guess.

You guys will shit on it anyways. <3

Depends. Will it perform well, too? I'm not someone who demands stock UI but I do appreciate a clear, consistent, and beautiful UI. And good performance.

This number means fuck all, especially for Samsung. They're known to not only cheat in these benchmarks but their UI is a stuttery mess.

Edit: stuttery mess is an exaggeration but it damn well stutters nonetheless.

Doesn't stutter rooted with an alternate kernel:) This phone would be rough to use stock.

I posted this in the Nexus 5 thread but it seemed worth asking here too:

I haven't really dug into Google Now but I'm curious to play around with it. However, I'm using Apex Launcher and Google Now seems clunky to access. I was trying to figure out if I can create a shortcut or custom gesture to access it but couldn't figure it out. Any thoughts?

I haven't really dug into Google Now but I'm curious to play around with it. However, I'm using Apex Launcher and Google Now seems clunky to access. I was trying to figure out if I can create a shortcut or custom gesture to access it but couldn't figure it out. Any thoughts?

you can use the standard swipe up from home gesture

you can turn on the permanent google search bar and use that to open it

you can also set up multiple finger gestures, though i think this requires pro

VoxPop

Not sure about Apex but on Nova you can set a shortcut for an activity whether it be for a different launcher or Google Now. Just long press> add shortcut > activities

SuperSah

Banned
I wish Note 3 ran on stock Android. Ah well.

I managed to hit 6 hours screen time tonight with enough juice to make 7 hours.

Dayum.

I've had an Iphone 4 for four years and I'm thinking of switching over to Android. Can someone convince me that I'm making the right choice? and offer me some phones? I would want something with a similar form factor to an Iphone.. and something that has a really fast and responsive UI

bob page

I've had an Iphone 4 for four years and I'm thinking of switching over to Android. Can someone convince me that I'm making the right choice? and offer me some phones? I would want something with a similar form factor to an Iphone.. and something that has a really fast and responsive UI
You're making the right choice, especially after terrible iOS 7. I switched all my devices to Android earlier this year and haven't looked back.

Moto X is the obvious choice.

Switched to a Nexus 5 after having a iPhone 4 for about 3 years and I like it. A lot of new phones are on the horizon though so I'd wait 2 or so months.

Z1 Compact looks pretty sweet.

Enosh

so joined the android club ^^

some questions since this is my first android phone
-updated to 4.3 but then read on the net that there were apparently some issues with that update on the s3, I trust those have been resolved by now?
-what are some good music apps, free ones, not really feeling the samsung or google music player so far but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it

so joined the android club ^^

some questions since this is my first android phone
-updated to 4.3 but then read on the net that there were apparently some issues with that update on the s3, I trust those have been resolved by now?
-what are some good music apps, free ones, not really feeling the samsung or google music player so far but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it

I use Shuttle. It's pretty bare bones and I like the UI.

So I took the advice of you all and took back the Nexus 5 for the G2.

Best advice ever given. Not to say the N5 was a bad phone, as it was certainly nice. I enjoyed matte finish, and I still think it's a tad more of a preferable size in comparison, but the slightly dull wash over the colors along with the rocky vibrations left a bad taste. After much thought(because I really did enjoy it mostly), I went with the majority gaf opinion and returned it for the G2. Right off, I could tell the colors were much better. They had more pop to them without being completely saturated. Also, it wasn't as bulky as I thought it would be. I think they are close in size, it's just that the G2 has less bezel and more screen. Also, the power button is a non issue so far. Having it on the back wasn't my concern as far as using it, but I thought it may be accidentally pressed. Everything has been smooth sailing. The hard plastic is kinda terrible coming from phone with either metal or matte, but I guess it can't have everything I want. Also, the battery hasn't moved much at all. Good sign of things to come.

Overall, I'm damn happy with the switch. Thanks gaf :)

So I took the advice of you all and took back the Nexus 5 for the G2.

Best advice ever given. Not to say the N5 was a bad phone, as it was certainly nice. I enjoyed matte finish, and I still think it's a tad more of a preferable size in comparison, but the slightly dull wash over the colors along with the rocky vibrations left a bad taste. After much thought(because I really did enjoy it mostly), I went with the majority gaf opinion and returned it for the G2. Right off, I could tell the colors were much better. They had more pop to them without being completely saturated. Also, it wasn't as bulky as I thought it would be. I think they are close in size, it's just that the G2 has less bezel and more screen. Also, the power button is a non issue so far. Having it on the back wasn't my concern as far as using it, but I thought it may be accidentally pressed. Everything has been smooth sailing. The hard plastic is kinda terrible coming from phone with either metal or matte, but I guess it can't have everything I want. Also, the battery hasn't moved much at all. Good sign of things to come.

Overall, I'm damn happy with the switch. Thanks gaf :)

Download some themes on the Playstore so you can change the look of the icons a bit. The LG icons are awful.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone, but I can't decide between the LG G2, Note 3 or the HTC One. I would like a phone with a good battery life and a good ppi. I'm using a Nexus 4 and I'd like to get something that would be a good step up.

I'm on ATT, BTW.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone, but I can't decide between the LG G2, Note 3 or the HTC One. I would like a phone with a good battery life and a good ppi. I'm using a Nexus 4 and I'd like to get something that would be a good step up.

I'm on ATT, BTW.

Note 3 or G2. Great phones. Ultimately went with the G2 because I liked the smaller form factor. I wouldn't get the One at this juncture. If you want it, might as well wait 3 months for the M8.

Note 3 or G2. Great phones. Ultimately went with the G2 because I liked the smaller form factor. I wouldn't get the One at this juncture. If you want it, might as well wait 3 months for the M8.

I was leaning towards the G2, but it looks like ATT doesn't have any in stock. I guess I'll have to wait for that M8 then. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom