• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

The Cardboard button doesn't use NFC.
In the first version it used a magnet, and in the second one it was a little piece of felt that touches the screen.
You can buy a bluetooth controller, 3€ for one at aliexpress, or you can simply wave a magnet close to the phone.

Oh I thought it was NFC :O okay then but wonder how this one works for pressing the screen if it even does.

Is it US only? I can't seem to change my country?

edit: Rush hour alert! To provide you with a smoother shopping experience, we have temporarily disabled address book editing. Don't worry - you can still edit your address during checkout.

Bottom right hand corner :) or where are you located see if I can get you the link.

Asgaro

All the way down you can change your country.

Nvm. It works in Edge Browser.
And I had to TAB my way through the fields because they weren't clickable wtf.

Now I have a loading icon on the Place Order button.

edit: did second time in Edge Browser: again eternal loading.

edit: now in Chrome incognito so all extensions are disabled.
Still had to TAB, and again eternal loading. Gonna wait this out

Mindwipe

I got mine from the UK store eventually.

If you're on any kind of non-standard strict SSL environment the site doesn't work, so try on Chrome on your phone.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Unfortunately I've had like 5 hard reboots since I flashed on Wednesday. In my 6 months with my phone it had never hard rebooted once. Also, I need my custom kernel. So I'll be rolling back to 6.0.1 today. But N seems very promising .
I've never tried custom kernel before. Which would you recommend? What are its benefits?

Asgaro

Yeah, this ain't working here. I'm from Belgium btw. Should work...

Clicking 'place order' keeps showing loading icon.

Now trying on mobile.

edit: Nope :/

edit: Isn't even compatible with my phone haha:
https://oneplus.net/loop
Compatible Devices
Most 5-6” Smartphones

Mine is 4.7".

Saiyan-Rox

Man I love the users on OP forums xD

Bitching about the small shipping fee

Bitching the site crashed

People not reading

ah, funny stuff.

Noema

I've never tried custom kernel before. Which would you recommend? What are its benefits?

I use the Elementalx kernel. Franco's kernel is also pretty popular however Elementalx is usually updated faster.

Basically the Custom kernel gives you very fine controls over some low level hardware settings such as CPU governor, Governor settings, gpu clockspeed, CPU and GPU voltages, color calibration, I/O, etc. It also includes a high brightness mode which is very useful on the N6 since the screen is so dim. I can activate via widget in case I need it when under direct sunlight.

I mostly use it to calibrate the screen colors on my nexus 6 and to use a custom CPU governor (I use the Elementalx governor which I find gives better performance and battery life than the interactive governor android uses by default. )

For instance, I set it so that at 30% battery the phone switches to power saving mode which shuts down 2 of the 4 cpu cores. This can really make a difference without a noticeable dent in performance.

On 6.0.1 with the custom kernel and governor I get about 6 hours of SoT and ~0.5% hourly idle drain.

thenexus6

No nova launcher related since lock screen is 'independent'.
I have a G7 and use Google now launcher.

https://mega.nz/#!zB0HxaCb!Yb7Q1ZfheM_Xt7o1Oe_WVks1mw9xbDV78FQ-BnqtHSc

Check this theme pack, for p8 lite.
just copy the .hwt files to the /HwThemes folder. Sometimes needs to reboot to detect them.

Try singularity.hwt, in themes it should appear as 'default(magazine)'

Remember that from lock screen you can swipe up from bottom to enable some options (also depending on theme) like media player, torch etc....

Oh and you do not need to change everything(font icons etc), you can choose to change only lock screen in the theme selection options.

edit: i am on 5.1.1 i know some p8 lite variants are already on MM so maybe there are more options now if you have it.
oh and probably already know it but check protected apps in settings, it is like 'stamina' or 'doze' , so messaging apps should be protected or you won't receive notifications if screen is off. EMUI has a ton of options and settings

Okay, I put the themes onto my phone. Set the singularity 'default (magazine)' but nothing has changed. It just takes me out of nova launcher and sets a different picture for the lock screen.

The swipe up from the lock screen controls like play, forward, back seem to be linked to their "wallpaper" feature which appears to just be a picture slideshow as your lock screen wallpaper.

I am on 6.0 at the moment. I went into each app and looked and the notification settings, and none are blocked via any battery mode either. Seems like there is just nothing I can do about it..

Asgaro

Nova Launcher is more hype than I thought. Swipe-up to show the dock is a neat feature.

The only thing I'm missing, when comparing to Action Launcher, is double-tap action on the Home button.

FlVxhf8.gif

snacknuts

we all knew her
Nova Launcher is more hype than I thought. Swipe-up to show the dock is a neat feature.

The only thing I'm missing, when comparing to Action Launcher, is double-tap action on the Home button.

What did you have it configured to do before? I'm sure you already saw it, but there is a setting for what you want the Home button to do when you're at the home screen. Not much help if your double-tap action from Action Launcher worked from everywhere. It wouldn't hurt to email the dev and request the feature.

Saiyan-Rox

Man they keyboard on the pixel c is disconnecting like crazy when the screen is off now. can't even press space to wake the screen anymore and have to press it a few times before it gets picked up

Hopefully just some N beta woes

Noema

Man they keyboard on the pixel c is disconnecting like crazy when the screen is off now. can't even press space to wake the screen anymore and have to press it a few times before it gets picked up

It's probably related to the new more aggressive Doze.

They'll fix it
maybe

Asgaro

What did you have it configured to do before? I'm sure you already saw it, but there is a setting for what you want the Home button to do when you're at the home screen. Not much help if your double-tap action from Action Launcher worked from everywhere. It wouldn't hurt to email the dev and request the feature.

I used it to bring up either the Battery History or Location Requests screen. I eat battery stats for breakfast...
NormalIy I can use 'double-tap on home screen' for one of these 2, but not with the live wallpaper you see in the gif: the dev of this live wall has made it so double-tap brings up his ad-filled configuration app. I can't seem to disable or override this behaviour... (Posted a 3 star review)

I upvoted the relevant Nova feature request: http://feedback.novalauncher.com/fo...ntercept-actions-like-double-tap-homebutton-t Hope it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion about 'home button action while on home screen', but yes, I already have yet another action assigned to it: hibernate apps with Greenify and turn off the screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Google is 1 for 4 on tablets. N7 2013 the lone outlier that hasn't been plagued with problems.

Saiyan-Rox

Pixel C was a cluster fuck and a half at launch. Plus people still having random reboots.

at launch it really was but now it's one of the top tear android tablets

it's just N is the issue but as annoying as it is i'll keep it on N as the multiwindow is just too good to give up at the moment.

Speaking of Doze 2.0 it's probably the issue for the gmail on the tablet and my phone...hope they fix that for when it releases....might send of some feeback about it now, might swell I guess.

Vanillalite

Uh oh Moto...

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/23/moto-g4-plus-3gb-ram-2gb/

Last week, Lenovo and Motorola unveiled three new Moto G devices, and opened them up for purchase in India. The devices came in different combinations with the G4 Plus featuring the following combos:

2GB of RAM/16GB of storage
3GB of RAM/32GB of storage
4GB of RAM/64GB of storage

This is where the unlucky user fell victim to what appears to be a manufacturing hiccup. Instead of receiving 3GB of RAM with the 32GB of storage that was advertised, the device that was received only included 2GB of RAM.

In natural WTF fashion, the device still includes 32GB of storage, meaning that someone, somewhere screwed up in the process and only put 2GB of RAM in a device meant to have 3GB.

Pixel C was a cluster fuck and a half at launch. Plus people still having random reboots.

Yes it was a mess at launch but my Pixel C is flawless and I am NOT on beta. In fact it is far better than the Nexus 7 2013 ever was due to the much better battery life and performance.

Edit: I should mention... The Pixel C is the first android device I have ever used chrome was actually a joy to use. Anyone have chrome impressions on a snapdragon 820 phone?

clem84

Gold Member
Guys,
I'm using my android phone for music creation. I need to know the time index of the songs I'm playing along to know exactly when to hit my drums. Which means I need a music player app that displays the time index in big numbers on my phone screen. Is there such a thing? I googled but no luck.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Freetel (?) Kiwami available for pre-order in the US:

http://www.freetelwireless.com/store/p2/Kiwami.html

Freetel is Japanese handset maker that's trying to break into the US market by selling unlocked smartphones. Could be ok, actually.

Design: Black, White
Network: 4G LTE, 3G
CPU: Octa core
Screen Size: 6.0"
Screen Resolution: 2K Display
RAM: 3GB
Internal Memory: 32GB
Front Camera: 8MP
Read Camera: 21MP
Wi-Fi: a / b / g / n / ac
Battery: 3,400mAh

Noema

Describing the SoC as simply as "octacore" doesn't precisely instill confidence, though.

EDIT: Apparently it's a mediatek MT6795. Supposedly comparable to the 810.

VoxPop

Damn that must be a headache to navigate

Saiyan-Rox

Yes it was a mess at launch but my Pixel C is flawless and I am NOT on beta. In fact it is far better than the Nexus 7 2013 ever was due to the much better battery life and performance.

Edit: I should mention... The Pixel C is the first android device I have ever used chrome was actually a joy to use. Anyone have chrome impressions on a snapdragon 820 phone?

Only issue with chrome is that lockup it has where you either wait for it to respond or can make it by swiping the notification panel down

Have this on both N and M builds there's a bug tracker for it too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Boring phone, cool wallpaper. Good stats, though.

Lnkn52

So I just reverted back to Marshmallow. Good features so far in N but the beta was too far away from being a daily driver for me.

Alot of slow downs and crashing apps.

The great thing was how easy it was to back out from the beta and receive the marshmallow update within seconds.

Husker86

Guys,
I'm using my android phone for music creation. I need to know the time index of the songs I'm playing along to know exactly when to hit my drums. Which means I need a music player app that displays the time index in big numbers on my phone screen. Is there such a thing? I googled but no luck.
Do you need to play songs that are on the device or streaming? If just songs that are on your device, and if you can't find something, I might have time to make you a quick app to do it. You just need the timestamp of the song?

Vanillalite

I know it's not a big space anymore, but I wish we had more tablet options that didn't suck.

It's almost June, and we've yet to have a good 2016 tablet. Half way through 2016 I'd rather get a 2016 chipset vs an old one. So your basically left with the Pixel C or bust.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know it's not a big space anymore, but I wish we had more tablet options that didn't suck.

It's almost June, and we've yet to have a good 2016 tablet. Half way through 2016 I'd rather get a 2016 chipset vs an old one. So your basically left with the Pixel C or bust.
Need a new Nexus 9. Bad. Pixel C is already obsolete since it can't receive OS updates the new way.

terrier

Okay, I put the themes onto my phone. Set the singularity 'default (magazine)' but nothing has changed. It just takes me out of nova launcher and sets a different picture for the lock screen.

The swipe up from the lock screen controls like play, forward, back seem to be linked to their "wallpaper" feature which appears to just be a picture slideshow as your lock screen wallpaper.

I am on 6.0 at the moment. I went into each app and looked and the notification settings, and none are blocked via any battery mode either. Seems like there is just nothing I can do about it..

will ask in a spanish forum if someone knows a solution, but i think it is a limitation of emui. It is a pitty really because the huawei phones are really solid.

Have you tried to set the media player you use (Google play music for example) as 'default' app for music? maybe that could work

Hasney

The Shield Tablet rumours keep on rolling. Not sure if it's this year or next though.

will ask in a spanish forum if someone knows a solution, but i think it is a limitation of emui. It is a pitty really because the huawei phones are really solid.

Have to say before my Nexus I would never have considered Huawei and always went with a bigger brand here in the UK, Sony, LG (I did pick up a OnePlus One to satisfy my inner geek) etc but in the future I will certainly be keeping an eye on what they bring out.

terrier

How good is Huawei with updates?

decent, p8 lite just got MM update, before my note 4 XD

Flagships usually get updated quite fast and some of their midrange too but late. The y also have beta version to test sometimes and you can flash the rom manually by putting it on your SD. The problem is that emui is really intrusive and kills some stock android features. It ireally depends more on emui version you have than android version tbh.
No notification interaction from lock screen is horrible in 2016

Mindwipe

To be honest I'm actually finding N preview 3 more buggy than preview 2 now. Quite a few games having issues with lighting, and they broke the Wi-Fi network HTTP redirect popup.

Vanillalite

Need a new Nexus 9. Bad. Pixel C is already obsolete since it can't receive OS updates the new way.

Even beyond a Nexus you have jack shit to choose from. Samsung, ASUS, Nvidia ect... haven't released anything new this year either and it's basically June.

You'd be stupid to pay $500 for the Tab S2 chipset now.

Top Bottom