• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Wag

This is a little OT but my Nexus 5 broke and I'm using Walmart's Straight Talk (AT&T) $45/mo unlimited service as my carrier. Is there any way to forward my calls to another number?

vivftp

Wonder if Sony will go amoled? Like the only benefit I can see atm for 4k phone screen is vr.

Like I barely can notice the pixels on my 1080p 6" mate 9 without squinting lol.

I don't think Sony will go OLED until JDI has their production up and running, which is supposedly next year IIRC.

I admit I'm a bit disappointed if the Premium has S821 instead of S835, but that's only because it otherwise seems to be the perfect phone. It doesn't matter too much anyways since I'm coming from a S400 phone, so either one would be a monsterous step up for me.

5.5 hours until the Sony MWC event! Gonna be up to watch it :)

Drifters

Heads up, for those on Fi, if you have your 5X,6P or Pixel say "No Sim" in the last 24 hours, don't worry, Google was wrapping up the VoLTE testing for voice and turned off the feature. Pop the sim and reload it, should be fine.

Wag

Port your number to Google Voice.

How do I do this? My phone isn't working with SIM card at all. And after can I port the # back to a new phone?

I gave up- I needed a phone immediately within my budget so I bought a Le Max 2 x829 64GB version for $200. I know it won't be supported but there's a big Le Max 2 mod community- and it's supposed to work in the US with Straight Talk/AT&T.

Groof

personally the most exciting thing in android land for me the last week is that instagram finally uses dark icons in the system bar

that's how exciting MWC was

Laekon

If my main desires in a phone are one handed use (about 5" size for me), good battery life, as good as possible camera, and being less then $500, is there any reason not to get a S7 international version? I was waiting on the P10 release but now it seems its going to be over $600.

I have a Nexus 5X but preferred the size of the Nexus 5. My only real issue with the 5X is the battery life. I'm fine most days but when I really need it, it always seems to disappoint me. It either drains from trying to connect with the poor signal inside a hospital or moderate GPS use. The camera has been really good but I have fairly shaky hands so OIS is a great feature for me. Finally I use an AT&T family plan that is paid for by one members employer so I want to just buy the phone out right and swap over my sim card.

The P9/Honor 8 camera seems to be just as good as the 5X in good light and then it's downhill from there. The HTC 10 is to expensive for the US version and the international looks like it doesn't work with all bands of AT&T LTE. The iPhone and Pixel are over priced. Everything else seems to be to big at 5.5".

NeOak

If my main desires in a phone are one handed use (about 5" size for me), good battery life, as good as possible camera, and being less then $500, is there any reason not to get a S7 international version? I was waiting on the P10 release but now it seems its going to be over $600.

I have a Nexus 5X but preferred the size of the Nexus 5. My only real issue with the 5X is the battery life. I'm fine most days but when I really need it, it always seems to disappoint me. It either drains from trying to connect with the poor signal inside a hospital or moderate GPS use. The camera has been really good but I have fairly shaky hands so OIS is a great feature for me. Finally I use an AT&T family plan that is paid for by one members employer so I want to just buy the phone out right and swap over my sim card.

The P9/Honor 8 camera seems to be just as good as the 5X in good light and then it's downhill from there. The HTC 10 is to expensive for the US version and the international looks like it doesn't work with all bands of AT&T LTE. The iPhone and Pixel are over priced. Everything else seems to be to big at 5.5".

You won't get VoLTE on a non-AT&T branded phone. So in congested areas you might have trouble making calls or even getting dropped calls, as well as delays for SMS/MMS traffic.

Like everything else mobile related, VoLTE in the US is a pain in the ass if you have Android but on iOS you just click a setting and it turns on and works on every provider.

vivftp

Snapdragon 821? Damn that Samsung...

Well, we'll find out in about 45 minutes. Phone Arena isn't the most reliable source to begin with, and even they say it's just a rumor.

I do, however, hope that the rumor about the 3900mAh battery is correct. I did hear that same number from another "source" on another forum I visit, so that's why I'm hoping it's true.

Ah well, soon all shall be revealed :)

Laekon

You won't get VoLTE on a non-AT&T branded phone. So in congested areas you might have trouble making calls or even getting dropped calls, as well as delays for SMS/MMS traffic.

Never even thought of that but I don't think it's a big concern.

No Love

Banned
Well, we'll find out in about 45 minutes. Phone Arena isn't the most reliable source to begin with, and even they say it's just a rumor.

I do, however, hope that the rumor about the 3900mAh battery is correct. I did hear that same number from another "source" on another forum I visit, so that's why I'm hoping it's true.

Ah well, soon all shall be revealed :)

Think I posted that the new S8 will have a 4000~ mAh battery a couple weeks ago.

LeleSocho

Banned
So the specs for the 2017 Xperia Premium have leaked:

I *might* give that a shot based on this:

- Camera isn't garbage
- Doesn't come out in May or June
- Isn't $900

....doesn't seem likely lol

Another Snap821 flagship? Who's going to pay +600$ in 2017 to have a last year SoC? At least use something with a Cortex A73 cluster if you have to use something ffs

Another Snap821 flagship? Who's going to pay +600$ in 2017 to have a last year SoC? At least use something with a Cortex A73 cluster if you have to use something ffs

I agree; Going from Snapdragon 821 to something like Snapdragon 835 is a big jump. Even Google themselves are trying out other SoC chipsets for their next Google Pixel phone to see which one will work best on it (here & here).

If they find something that's just as good as Snapdragon 835 or even better, that alone will torpedo Sony's next Xperia device (unless it's the XZ Premium) & other similar devices like it. And they have plenty of time to do so as their next Pixel phone won't be out until October at the very least.

LeleSocho

Banned
idk normal people that don't hang out on forums?

Normal people that don't inform themselves at least a little bit before don't spend 600$ on a phone if it isn't an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy anyway.
To make yourself a name to the public you first have to win the enthusiast vote i believe.

vivftp

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/27/14736628/sony-xperia-xz-premium-specs-release-date-4k-hdr-mwc-2017

Snapdragon 835 confirmed.

far as specs go, we might not have expected Sony to tout the latest Snapdragon 835 processor in its new flagship, as it does, but there is a catch here. Yes, Sony has the latest and best Qualcomm chip while others are still offering the Snapdragon 820 and 821, but the Xperia XZ Premium won’t be out until late spring or just ahead of the summer. Hell, the demo units shown off ahead of MWC weren’t running anywhere close to final software, which is why I was testing the camera system on the smaller Xperia XZs. So Sony is pre-announcing its new flagship device by a long margin.

Other notable features include water resistance, rated to IP65 and IP68, a thinner profile at 7.9mm, and MicroSD storage expandability. The phone’s battery is a reasonable 3,230mAh, and there’s a fingerprint sensor integrated into the side-mounted power button as usual. But the Xperia XZ Premium is really all about that camera, display, and processor combo. Each of those three components promises a great deal, and if Sony can finally strike the right balance and deliver an uncompromised device that makes the most of its various parts, the wait — however long — for the XZ Premium might just be worth it.

LeleSocho

Banned
Finally a phone worthy of Sony's leader position in display, camera sensor, audio and general electronic devices businesses.
Can't wait to see Samsung and Apple answers to this phone.
I wonder what the battery life is like. Having a 4K screen with a 3,230mAh doesn't sound that great for efficiency.

As the Z5 Premium did before it probably renders everything at 1080p 99% of the time.

Paganmoon

So a few days till we get hands on impressions of the Huawei P10 and Sony XZ Premium, and a month until Samsung shows their new phones, and maybe another month till phones are available for purchase here in Sweden... At this rate Microsoft will have cancelled Windows 10 Mobile before I get to jump ship to Android damnit.

tzare

It's honestly mostly the software that holds them back, the hardware itself is very capable. Still strange considering it's Sony tho

each time they promise the best camera and fail to deliver, i'd be cautious with this one too.
It surprises me as great as their cameras, especially compact ones, are.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I'm at 50% with 6 hours of SoT. God, I fucking love my Moto Z Play. These new phone announcements so far are not impressing me. G6 looks like a nice device, though. It's just something I'd never buy. Eager to see the S8.

longdi

Banned
3230mah is lame af. Sony almost had it.

Ithink only hauwei is doing all the right specs. Even Samsung is cheapening out with 4gb ram.

More leaks:

nexus2cee_galaxy-s8-leak-1.jpg

nexus2cee_galaxy-s8-leak-728x466.png

nexus2cee_galaxy-s8-leak-3.jpg
others

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
How does Sony get an 835 run of chips? Is the phone not launching till way later?

I thought the whole reason LG went with the 821 was Samsung basically has all of the 835 chips.

Speaking of which man those photos still make the GS8 look weird. The aspect ratio makes it look hella long, and I'm not really feeling that.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
^^by releasing the phone much later. I don't see the XZ Premium coming out till June

Edit: almost forgot:

So the specs for the 2017 Xperia Premium have leaked:

I *might* give that a shot based on this:

- Camera isn't garbage - we'll see
- Doesn't come out in May or June - welp
- Isn't $900 -welp

....doesn't seem likely lol

Jeffrey

Gboard is gonna look hilarious on that.

Hmmm. What are the odds of Samsung offering an option for swapped on screen buttons?

Seems logical but it does feel like Samsung is stubborn about their nav bar setup.

Edit: oh just double checked the footage and it is! Wild.

Top Bottom