• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm semi interested in the rumored computer dock thing. Would be interested to see how that would play out.

Would worry it could kill your battery faster though, and you wouldn't be able to user replace it.

Vanillalite

So.... We just gave up on significantly improving smartphone cameras? They're all good enough now?

Smh

The chips themselves will probably do better image processing.

In terms of the actual lense sensor it's probably tough to pack much more in the small space.

I think Apple will get around this though, and Samsung is stupid for resting on its laurels.

Jeffrey

850? Seems comparable to iPhone plus with decent memory and s8+ supports microsd cards.

Eh why not. Time to throw my pixel on swappa lol.

Vanillalite

Hot take time

- Leaks were real

- Leaks killed the excitement

- Infinity display looks cool

- wish they'd talked more about out the actual image quality of the screen

- camera being the same sucks

- image processing should be better though so will wait to see

- they did jack shit to sell me on that wack ass aspect ratio

- they also spent like 0 time talking about improved performance

- they also spent 0 time talking about the OS so I assume it'll literally be the current Nougat with Bixby slapped on top

- first dude talking about accessories was a boner killer

- the girl that came out was waaaayyy better

- a lot of the accessories seemed cool but I'm not gonna pay for them

- would be more interested in dex laptop vs desktop

- you can tell the way they glossed over the fingerprint scanner that they wanted that shit baked in but couldn't get it done

- phone seems nice but the presentation didn't wow

- should have taken more time on the display vs that shitty sizzle reel and told me how much better in actual use it is

- didn't spend any time talking about improved data or wifi either

- should have spent more time on a phone deep dive and less time on the accessories

- I got more hot takes to post in a bit

reKon

Banned
I'm scared that if I see one of these in person I'll be tempted to buy just from the screen haha. It's good to hear that TouchWiz is still lighter and that it flies on the SD835. My S7 Edge had not slowed down and is still a beast in terms of speed and smoothness, but I have the Exynos version.

I think we're a bit away from reviews, but I'm hoping for good performance and battery results. Camera wise, as long as any smartphone camera is at least good as the S7 camera, I'm happy because it's a brilliant camera.

Vanillalite

Can I say while the actual phone design is much better with the S8 the actual presentation kinda bored me. It sorta retroactively made the Pixel presentation better?

I think part of the problem is the new Pixel and iPhone also are the launch of the next version of the OS where as Samsung is just skinning the current version.

Jeffrey

Fuck Samsung. Single firing down speaker again? Even apple is on the pseudo stereo thing.

I'm scared that if I see one of these in person I'll be tempted to buy just from the screen haha. It's good to hear that TouchWiz is still lighter and that it flies on the SD835. My S7 Edge had not slowed down and is still a beast in terms of speed and smoothness, but I have the Exynos version.

I think we're a bit away from reviews, but I'm hoping for good performance and battery results. Camera wise, as long as any smartphone camera is at least good as the S7 camera, I'm happy because it's a brilliant camera.

Don't fall for it bro.

Performance of whatever the latest TouchWiz is always amazing until like the week after reviews are written lol.

Come to Samsung for the features and display. Not for the performance unless you import the Exynos unlocked.

Vanillalite

Don't fall for it bro.

Performance of whatever the latest TouchWiz is always amazing until like the week after reviews are written lol.

Come to Samsung for the features and display. Not for the performance unless you import the Exynos unlocked.

They didn't even really show off any new features other than yet another assistant I won't use.

Display is pimp, but wish they'd focused more on actually using the display and image quality. Instead they took 10 mins slowly trimming off bezels in the hype real then threw up a HDR slide and moved on.

Jeffrey

If you are in the US I'm seeing 100 off for BestBuy if you do installment plans. Additionally with the free gear vr.

S8+ for $750 is good.

They didn't even really show off any new features other than yet another assistant I won't use.

Display is pimp, but wish they'd focused more on actually using the display and image quality. Instead they took 10 mins slowly trimming off bezels in the hype real then threw up a HDR slide and moved on.

I mean the S7 already has more features than other flagships. S8 is minimal in comparison to s7.

I hope the battery life is amazing. The 6P has turned me into a salty person regarding battery. If there's one thing I have confidence about Samsung, it's their displays.

I'd love to see how accurate the HDR display actually is. The only reason I'm holding out from the 3T is because of this and other features for this year's phones.

LeleSocho

Banned
No new camera sensor? Apple will probably eat the S8 for breakfast then.
I expected to see more Bixby stuff since it should have been THE feature of this phone, it seems too basic for now but it's clear that we are stepping into the AR future.

Display is meh.

No new camera sensor? Apple will probably eat the S8 for breakfast then.
I expected to see more Bixby stuff since it should have been THE feature of this phone, it seems too basic for now but it's clear that we are stepping into the AR future.

Display is meh.

Pfft, ok. The Samsung camera has murdered the iPhone camera for years now. It'll still be the better camera.

Furyous

What would you get?

The LG G6 right now, the OP4 in September, or the Xperia XZ2 in late October.

Then again you AJ so you'll cop them all and let us know the ins and outs of each one, no shots.

Fuego takes on the S8/S8+:

$720/$850 unlocked for last year's camera tech is some bullshit.

I have small hands so fuck both the S8/S8+.

No Daydream support, no FM radio, and dismissing my girl IR B is a bad look.

SMH at the fucking S6 battery life bullshit about to happen by mid September. I guarantee someone will complain about battery life by the end of the year on these devices.

The aspect ratio is some bullshit too at 18.5:9. Android needs aspect ratio warz. We need the 21:9 ratio to make the cycle complete.

This device costs a lot but skimped on something that cannot be the DAC. If it doesn't come with a high DAC and a manual video mode then LG won this battle.

Vanillalite

The G6 pricing being in line with the Samsung device means I'd just get the Samsung.

Neither device has wowed me like I'd hoped though.

Vanillalite

It feels like now even more than last year is ripe for a cheaper entry to come snatch some market share.

Feels like LG could have stolen Samsung's thunder even with the 821 chip if they had priced it accordingly.

The G6 pricing being in line with the Samsung device means I'd just get the Samsung.

Neither device has wowed me like I'd hoped though.

Phones have reached a feature plateau in the past few years. There's only so many new gimmicks you can come up with if you have to release a new model every year.

reKon

Banned
Fuck Samsung. Single firing down speaker again? Even apple is on the pseudo stereo thing.

Don't fall for it bro.

I don't have performance issues. I have an unlocked international S7 Edge. It never lags and is very snappy. Therefore, I'm not really concerned with TouchWiz itself. I guess it's more a matter of Samsung actually trying with SD835 because Exynos handled the software fine.

If I can get the regular s8 for 100 off its already a done deal. Going to my local best buy tomorrow. G6 was nice but ultimately I know what to expect with Samsung. Better that which you know. Not to mention the AT&T g6 and s8 price difference is 30 bucks

Edit: apparently its only 50 off from the regular s8. I'll still go with it though, cheaper than g6 with at&t

LeleSocho

Banned
Pfft, ok. The Samsung camera has murdered the iPhone camera for years now. It'll still be the better camera.
14c.jpg

IronRaven

If I can get the regular s8 for 100 off its already a done deal. Going to my local best buy tomorrow. G6 was nice but ultimately I know what to expect with Samsung. Better that which you know. Not to mention the AT&T g6 and s8 price difference is 30 bucks

Edit: apparently its only 50 off from the regular s8. I'll still go with it though, cheaper than g6 with at&t

That's actually not a bad deal at all.

I'm really digging the S8 a lot. The hardware is beautiful, the software is sleek, and it does have a lot of features. First time I've been genuinely interested in a Samsung phone.

IronRaven

I'm really digging the S8 a lot. The hardware is beautiful, the software is sleek, and it does have a lot of features. First time I've been genuinely interested in a Samsung phone.

Same here. The fact that Samsung is finally moving the navigation buttons to be on-screen is actually kind of a game changer for me. I hated how they were capacitive buttons that were reversed. Now, they can be correctly placed. Samsung apparently have also toned down TouchWiz which is a welcome change as well.

Trying to think what, other than price, would make the G6 more compelling.

Looks like the g6 might be better for taking pictures with the quality and wide angle lense, and has the Google assistant vs the Samsung branded one. But honestly I only use Google now assistant when I'm using Android auto. And the price isn't even an argument for people like me who are in AT&T and you can get both phones for essentially the same price, and the s8 even cheaper with this best buy deal.

So unless one really cares for taking pictures and Google assistant, and isn't in a carrier that has the g6 for 100 bucks cheaper, it's a no brainer.

Looks like the g6 might be better for taking pictures with the quality and wide angle lense, and has the Google assistant vs the Samsung branded one. But honestly I only use Google now assistant when I'm using Android auto. And the price isn't even an argument for people like me who are in AT&T and you can get both phones for essentially the same price, and the s8 even cheaper with this best buy deal.

So unless one really cares for taking pictures and Google assistant, and isn't in a carrier that has the g6 for 100 bucks cheaper, it's a no brainer.
I'm pretty sure the S8 also comes with Google Assistant.

NeOak

Hi, Lumia camera user here. Samsung is still shit compared to Pureview cameras. And those are 2 year old cameras now. And then there is the 1020 with a 41MP camera...

Will look into a S8 due to the X16 modem. AT&T is pimping it as "5G capable", which means we will have the same BS as "4G" being HSPA and "4G LTE" being the actual 4G.

Top Bottom