• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

pls understand

Screenshot%20%2815%29.png

Lol at that keynote. Glad my expectations were low. I always leave Google events more confused. What's coming when. What's replacing what. What's real and what's coming way in the future. Etc.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lol at that keynote. Glad my expectations were low. I always leave Google events more confused. What's coming when. What's replacing what. What's real and what's coming way in the future. Etc.

Their pacing is all off at i/o cause they try to juggle to much shit.

They do better at the Nexus event.

Jigolo

What's new in Android

Session currently live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5VjylR2zTo

The session was great. I am so looking forward to getting a new Nexus device this year. The improvements is really a lot of the stuff I've personally wanted.

Smoother. check

Dumb security updates done in the background and out of the way. check

Android is upgrading screen is gone. check

App sizes getting smaller. check

Super refined.

There will be a battery management session in about 2hrs and 10 min. I know ALL you guys better watch that shit. Always asking for more mAh and shit. But what it really comes down too is software optimizations.

So would these be their first Android devices with Google services, or have I just been out of the loop all this time?

I think the phone they just came out with has Google Play services. I know they are a chinese company so I don't know about their older devices. I don't really pay attention to Xiaomi

I don't use Hangouts at all, so I'll give Allo (and maybe Duo) a shot when it's out. The built-in chatbot/Google search functionality looks really dope.

I think the phone they just came out with has Google Play services. I know they are a chinese company so I don't know about their older devices. I don't really pay attention to Xiaomi
Cool, thanks.

Vanillalite

WTF Google announced Family app sharing

Mother fucking Google... Sundar you are the stupidest person for leaving out all of the shit people might want to know about and instead spent 40 mins talking about Allo and your Cam2Cam sex appeal.

announcements were not very exciting at all.
the crux of the matter is google comes off as a company that doesn't have a singular vision. They have no one in charge of the big picture it seems. Just a shitton of different teams doing different things for their own agendas. Sometimes the users benefit, sometimes they don't, usually it's just a mess.

Vanillalite

I love how they announced Spaces, and then basically ignored it all conference. (Yes I get individual session stuff is gonna use it).

Lnkn52

This is the first time I'm trying out the Okay Google on the N Preview.

Is there a way for it to response when my phone is locked?

Changing songs just using voice commands would surely help me be safe on the road.

23qwerty

This is the first time I'm trying out the Okay Google on the N Preview.

Is there a way for it to response when my phone is locked?

Changing songs just using voice commands would surely help me be safe on the road.

Yep, go to the Google Now settings click Voice, then "Ok Google" detection, always on.

Saiyan-Rox

looks like on the new N preview if you have a custom launcher your lockscreen wallpaper doesn't change. if you change your wallpaper on the default Google launcher it asks if you want to set it on both lockscreen and homescreen

EmiPrime

All I wanted was a messaging app that also supports SMS that runs on mobile and desktop. Like iMessage or even Hangouts for those few who can get Project Fi.

Google come out with all sorts of messaging apps but not the one I really want.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Need N impressions on 6P.

I don't understand why they'd announce Allo if they won't release it immediately. What's the point?

Called the new messenger app. It is so Google to release more and more messengers.

No new smaller tablet :(

diaspora

Does anyone use Hangouts in the first place? I mean I've seen people bitch because of updates on iOS versus Android but like, who the fuck uses that app anyway? Messenger is better for SMS and most of the world uses Facebook Messenger/ WhatsApp/ Line for everything else.

Android N Developer Preview is available for the Xperia Z3 if anybody owns one. Pretty surprised to see Sony pushing out something like that. Kind of makes me wish the Z3 I bought earlier this year wasn't defective.

Quasar

Well...installed the beta on my 5x. Seems to work fine. Though....the only exposed stuff I'm seeing straight away is the notifications revisions.

Quasar

I don't use Hangouts at all, so I'll give Allo (and maybe Duo) a shot when it's out. The built-in chatbot/Google search functionality looks really dope.

Does look nice. And good to see endtoend encryption in there for people who feel the need.

Though it just reminds me of how sad I'll be when sms dies. We're not going to get another open standard like sms and email that everyone supports are we. Just 3 billion silos and we're supposed to keep track of what people use what.

Really want Google Home now.

Lnkn52

Yep, go to the Google Now settings click Voice, then "Ok Google" detection, always on.
Hmm doesn't seem to be working for me when the screen is off.

OK another note, I like the Google Keyboard but I hate when typing in a search, the predetermined text box doesn't show up.

23qwerty

Hmm doesn't seem to be working for me when the screen is off.

OK another note, I like the Google Keyboard but I hate when typing in a search, the predetermined text box doesn't show up.

Hmm, maybe it doesn't work with every phone idk, I have a Nexus 6p.

Top Bottom