• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I feel like it must be said again. The Samsung browser is the best internet browser on Android, period.

longdi

Banned
I feel like it must be said again. The Samsung browser is the best internet browser on Android, period.

I think it is based off chrome?

full screen + adblock + swipe to change tabs is great

With dark mode + swipe down to refresh in beta, its perfect!

Hasney

I think it is based off chrome?

full screen + adblock + swipe to change tabs is great

With dark mode in beta, It just needs swipe down to refresh for perfection.

And to open it to non-samsung phones.

You can gef it off the Play Store these days.

I dont even use it on my S8 though. Still use Chrome.

longdi

Banned
You can gef it off the Play Store these days.

I dont even use it on my S8 though. Still use Chrome.

Yep i found it on the Play store now. It even has swipe down to refresh!

Its basically Chrome-lite with all QoL features back in.

While Google mucks around swapping things around with their version, that also has background battery drain.

Since i disabled Chrome on my s7e, the drain is like 2% over a 8hrs night, with wifi/LTE/NFC on.

Groof

can't believe i'm saying this but the s8 is a great phone. though the fingerprint sensor can go fuck itself, terrible.

Ty4on

Yep i found it on the Play store now. It even has swipe down to refresh!

Its basically Chrome-lite with all QoL features back in.

While Google mucks around swapping things around with their version, that also has background battery drain.

Since i disabled Chrome on my s7e, the drain is like 2% over a 8hrs night, with wifi/LTE/NFC on.
Swipe down to refresh is the worst tho D:

I've lost so many posts because of that stupid gesture. Thankfully there's a flag for it.

ty_hot

My 3T really keeps the apps open on the background forever... Its common to open something and realize what you were doing a week ago is still there, untouched. I dont turn off my phone often nor close all apps because the phone is butter smooth all the time. The OP5 should be even better with 8gb, even though I cant see where it could improve in this department.

Agent

So, Google customer service has won me over. They sent me a brand new Pixel XL to replace my dying Nexus 6p (that was out of warranty) at no charge.

I've had my Nexus 6p since launch, so it was well past its warranty when I started getting random shut downs from around 20% to 30% a couple months ago. It finally died when it got stuck in an endless bootloop shortly after. Made a call to Google support and within 30 minutes, even though it was out of warranty, they offered to replace my phone with a refurbished Nexus 6p.

Was pretty happy with the refurbished 6p as it looked brand new and worked great. However, after a couple weeks, the battery started going again, shutting down at around 20%. Made another call to Google support and they surprised me by offering to replace the 6p with a brand new Pixel XL.

Received the new Pixel XL about two days ago, and really enjoying the hell out of it. Battery life seems to be a huge step up.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. I got fed up with my 6p dying at 50 - 60% battery life. Chatted with a Google rep and even though it was out of warranty they are sending me a Pixel XL next week. Quite impressed with how they handled it and how quick they are taking care of it. I will definitely make purchases from them in the future if this is how they will be handling issues.

NEO0MJ

My Moto G4 is going hywire and keeps restarting itself for no reason. Seems to be a common issue based on what I read online as well. Resetting to factory settings didn't seem to do much, either. Problem is I have no backup phone so I don't want to send it back to the store. Hope The LG V30 comes soon.

Cipherr

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. I got fed up with my 6p dying at 50 - 60% battery life. Chatted with a Google rep and even though it was out of warranty they are sending me a Pixel XL next week. Quite impressed with how they handled it and how quick they are taking care of it. I will definitely make purchases from them in the future if this is how they will be handling issues.

Really want to buy the next Pixel phone man. Im livid that I have to choose another because they dropped the headphone jack like idiots.

longdi

Banned
Might switch to Samsung browser. Been using Brave. Where is the beta version on the Galaxy App store or Play store?

in play store. and then you install adblock+ with it.

samsung browser is less janky than other third party browsers i tried, and i tried tons.
It felt like a 'native' app in terms of launch times, scrolling, switching etc. granted im using it on a samsung phone.

Another thumbs up for the Samsung Browser for me. It's fast, has adblock, night mode and, at least on my S7, PiP for all videos. I really like it.

ok..

so i tell Bixby to play an album in Google Music

it plays the album from my Music Library

i tell Google Assistant to play the same album

it tries to play it from the Google Play Music subscription service and since i'm not a subscriber, it pops up the subscribe window

GOOGY PLZ

No idea why but I've been noticing this more and more frequently. I dislike have the soft keys take a portion of the screen. Scrolling through Twitter with the bottom 10% of the screen being dark black for the soft keys is annoying.

So what are the best solutions for immersive mode? I've downloaded an App but it doesn't work with a lot of my frequently used apps (Twiiter and Instagram) which is a shame because it works a treat with Facebook.

kaiyo

I'm using Habit browser, hasn't been updated much and has a few bugs, but it has a lot of customization and most important it has the edge quick/pie controls ( can't live without that in a mobile browser).

reKon

Banned
Samsung browser is legit. Can you have it sync with Google? Not having my bookmarks is kinda lame.

There's an extension on chrome (desktop) for Samsung Broswer. I think you have to sign into your Samsung account there. I haven't used it, but I can try later.

Moto X4 will probably be a solid lower priced phone. Stock android and all:

motox4_android_one_1.jpg

CronoShot

Could be related to the Moto X4 on Project Fi rumor. Maybe they're going to turn Android One into a Google Play Edition type thing.

Noema

An Android One Version of the X4 is certainly appealing. Too bad it's €400. Way too much for what's basically a pimped up Moto G5 Plus. And 5.2" is just too small. And no AMOLED.

It better have a truly awesome camera and DAC to justify that price. And Motorola has never had an outstanding camera.

Would a z2 force with a free projector be on par with the v30 in terms of being a good purchase? Upgrading from a regular Nexus 6 (Verizon).

If you were to pick the better phone, which would it be for 600-650 bucks? The U11 or the S8+? What is better for the money and what battery lasts longer?

Top Bottom