• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Saiyan-Rox

It's not a full year replacement tho with the next generation Qualcomm chips

it'll be like the OP2 they'll want to bury the 5 asap cause it made them look bad so they'll go all guns blazing for the next number.

Already got my 5 boxed up and ready to go, i'll be going back to my repaired nexus 4 until I get my new device. jury's out on what i'll get, probably end up going back to the old pixel 1 at this rate it's all I can afford but i'm really salty about OP right now just need them out of my life (yeah dramatic)

Already sold my OnePlus 5. Resale values are a little better right now before their announcement of a new phone since the 5 is sold out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OP seems to eternally have stock problems.

The only time they don't is when they are like 10 months into the cycle and it's the next year with a new phone incoming.

Idk what they can do to fix this. Shits always backordered.

Ty4on

it'll be like the OP2 they'll want to bury the 5 asap cause it made them look bad so they'll go all guns blazing for the next number.

Already got my 5 boxed up and ready to go, i'll be going back to my repaired nexus 4 until I get my new device. jury's out on what i'll get, probably end up going back to the old pixel 1 at this rate it's all I can afford but i'm really salty about OP right now just need them out of my life (yeah dramatic)
What's the reason you're selling yours BTW?

Getting a Pixel XL?

Saiyan-Rox

Already sold my OnePlus 5. Resale values are a little better right now before their announcement of a new phone since the 5 is sold out.

exactly why i'm doing it now. shame I can't make up the rest and the new pixels

Moving out is a serious drain on the wallet lol

What's the reason you're selling yours BTW?

Getting a Pixel XL?

Honestly it's the god awful community, the lack or any kind of common sense from op (mounting the screen upside down and calling it a feature? sure) and all this stuff about a new one coming out and everyone talking about it....i'm just sick of it now tbh think it's my mood in general but I just can't deal with that community anymore.

And yeah probably get a Pixel XL 1 again

Ty4on

I'm kinda looking for a cheap used device.
I've been wanting a Xiaomi, but I don't want the hassle of importing (in case something goes wrong or I have to pay 25% tax plus administration fees for a $500 device) and I will be spending a school semester in China starting July 2018. It just makes so much more sense to buy one then and who knows, maybe the NAND prices have come down and lowered prices across the board...

Because I'm looking at a more temporary device I want something, em, kinda crappy just so I can test it out. I hate AMOLED so I wanna try living with one to see how it is. I wanna try out a S625~ device too (or another A53 based chip) because I find the tests of CPUs lacking. There are real world differences and I wanna find them.

6Ps are quite cheap (kinda surprising when Pixels aren't), but it looks like a bit of a pain to open when the battery starts failing. Moto X and Z devices still seem a bit expensive too, wanna keep it sub $150. Samsung kinda looks like the most realistic, but I almost hate the skin too much and they have an ok reputation which keeps prices up. Maybe I can figure out how they function with a launcher I like.

Furyous

I'm kinda looking for a cheap used device.
I've been wanting a Xiaomi, but I don't want the hassle of importing (in case something goes wrong or I have to pay 25% tax plus administration fees for a $500 device) and I will be spending a school semester in China starting July 2018. It just makes so much more sense to buy one then and who knows, maybe the NAND prices have come down and lowered prices across the board...

Because I'm looking at a more temporary device I want something, em, kinda crappy just so I can test it out. I hate AMOLED so I wanna try living with one to see how it is. I wanna try out a S625~ device too (or another A53 based chip) because I find the tests of CPUs lacking. There are real world differences and I wanna find them.

6Ps are quite cheap (kinda surprising when Pixels aren't), but it looks like a bit of a pain to open when the battery starts failing. Moto X and Z devices still seem a bit expensive too, wanna keep it sub $150. Samsung kinda looks like the most realistic, but I almost hate the skin too much and they have an ok reputation which keeps prices up. Maybe I can figure out how they function with a launcher I like.

gsmarena_001.jpg

3GB RAM / 16GB storage $150
3GB RAM / 32GB storage $195
4GB RAM / 64GB storage $256

Get a Xiaomi for around $195.

Ty4on

Maaaybe. It's kinda the worst of both tho 😅

I have thought about it because I'll get something decent and learn how the skin is without paying for their top models.

Jeffrey

Op5 is still my favorite phone this year. Only real compromise is less then stellar low light camera and the resolution on screen. Performance and memory management and dash charging are second to none.

Loud monospeaker and headphone jack is great too.

MIUI doesn't have an app drawer. All your apps are on the home screen like on iOS.

That and how they changed the way notifications work are probably the two things that made me go "What the hell Xiaomi?" when I was researching the Mi Mix 2.

There seems to be good support for Lineage OS on the high end Xiaomi devices though if you do get one and decide to throw MIUI into the dumpster.

Joe

Anyone have any idea why sensors are jumpy and not steady?

The phone is the Honor 6x which has an accelerometer and compass.

ezgif-4-21bf6dfccb.gif

I calibrated the compass and the accelerometer with the GPS Status and Bubble Level apps but that didn't help at all.

The gif was recorded from the sensor diagnostics tool screen on the GPS Status app, laying on a flat surface, post-calibrations, and post-reboot.

this_guy

MIUI doesn't have an app drawer. All your apps are on the home screen like on iOS.

That and how they changed the way notifications work are probably the two things that made me go "What the hell Xiaomi?" when I was researching the Mi Mix 2.

There seems to be good support for Lineage OS on the high end Xiaomi devices though if you do get one and decide to throw MIUI into the dumpster.

At least the app drawer problem can be solved by changing the launcher. Too bad there's no easy way to change notifications.

Ty4on

Anyone have any idea why sensors are jumpy and not steady?

The phone is the Honor 6x which has an accelerometer and compass.

ezgif-4-21bf6dfccb.gif

I calibrated the compass and the accelerometer with the GPS Status and Bubble Level apps but that didn't help at all.

The gif was recorded from the sensor diagnostics tool screen on the GPS Status app, laying on a flat surface, post-calibrations, and post-reboot.
That looks pretty normal.

They're tiny mobile sensors built to a budget. They're never going to be very accurate, even on a high end device.

I'm not familiar with app development, but I'm pretty sure they filter the result to get something smoother.

Edit: double checking my Nexus 4 it is smoother, but there are some values jumping.

Just ordered my G6! Had a Nexus 5x and broke it, so I got a cheap ass LG whatever phone that I used for several months. Can't wait, lack of bezels and decent price. Only thing im worried about is LG's shitty bloatware/skin. Might have to learn how to root it or whatever.

Groof

Just ordered my G6! Had a Nexus 5x and broke it, so I got a cheap ass LG whatever phone that I used for several months. Can't wait, lack of bezels and decent price. Only thing im worried about is LG's shitty bloatware/skin. Might have to learn how to root it or whatever.
the skin isn't that bad tbh. bloatware is annoying but easy to disable what you don't need. enjoy the phone, it's great.

Joe

That looks pretty normal.

They're tiny mobile sensors built to a budget. They're never going to be very accurate, even on a high end device.

I'm not familiar with app development, but I'm pretty sure they filter the result to get something smoother.

Edit: double checking my Nexus 4 it is smoother, but there are some values jumping.
Hmm ok. Thanks for the reply and info!

I notice issues when using a cardboard vr headset but it may be another issue, not the sensors.

Jeffrey

Don't do it. You know you are gonna hate it.

But ppl on xda say it's actually smooth still after a month of use!

:(

Also im already regretting paying over a grand for this pixel that's probably gonna have screen issues looking at ppl complaining about v30.

Also im already regretting paying over a grand for this pixel that's probably gonna have screen issues looking at ppl complaining about v30.

Hopefully early impressions of the Pixel screen will come before ours ships and we'll be able to cancel our preorders in time lol

I'm just gonna sell my preorder on the xl2 if I don't like it. Should be enough demand to sell it and make a small profit. If not Google let's you return for 2 weeks I believe.

Ty4on

Hmm ok. Thanks for the reply and info!

I notice issues when using a cardboard vr headset but it may be another issue, not the sensors.
For proper VR they aren't good enough so cardboard is more just a demo.

Samsung VR has its own sensors onboard and the software bypasses Android for the lowest possible input lag.

Jeffrey

Funky axon phone tablet thing is around then too lol.

Who has time to do a blog. I got a day job to afford these fuckers.

And I hate putting on dbrand skins.

I was ready to jump on the Pixel 2 XL from a 6P but that price tag stopped me when trying to check out multiple times, so I just decided to get the Note 8. At least you can cancel it or sell it if you don't like how it turns out.

SamFAIL roots Snapdragon Galaxy Note8 without tripping Knox

The age-old tradition of rooting Samsung's latest flagship continues. In this case, it's the Galaxy Note8, and it took developers about a month. For some perspective, that's much less time than we had to wait for root on the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Based on this progression, I predict that the next Samsung flagship should be rooted just a bit before it is released. /s

some crazy caveats though

jokkir

So, for the Galaxy S8+: Exynos or the Snapdragon version? Looking to get one. Snapdragon would work with Samsung Pay but from the S7, Exynos totally wrecked the Snapdragon version but apparently this year is a bit closer? How about battery?

Jeffrey

So, for the Galaxy S8+: Exynos or the Snapdragon version? Looking to get one. Snapdragon would work with Samsung Pay but from the S7, Exynos totally wrecked the Snapdragon version but apparently this year is a bit closer? How about battery?
Will us Samsung service a Exynos one?

I've had a weird bug on my phone today to and from work.

I usually listen to music or a podcast while I use Google Maps. Normally when a turn is coming up Google Maps pauses the audio app, says the direction, and then resumes the audio app.

But today when connected to my bluetooth headphones, Google Maps paused the audio app, was silent when it should be announcing the turn, and then resumed the audio app.

It seemed to just be an issue while connected to bluetooth, because using the speaker on my phone, I had no issues. I think I'll try rebooting my phone and trying it again to see if it's still wonky. I use my bluetooth headset with podcasts and Google Maps a lot, so this is a pretty annoying bug.

Will us Samsung service a Exynos one?

No. Samsung warranty only covers devices used in the country of origin. This is a huge pain in the ass but it's how they roll. To claim a warranty on an out-of-country device, it has to be sent back to the country of origin and serviced in that country.

There is now a shitty root for S8/S8+/Note8 which doesn't unlock the bootloader and limits the battery to 80% charge. If you were specifically looking to buy Exynos for basic root to do simple things like ad blocking, you can settle for the US version. Of course if you are still interested in custom ROMs or being able to use Magisk, you have to buy Exynos.

Exynos and Snapdragon are much much closer this year than on S7 generation. Exynos still wins on standby battery life and GPU performance, Snapdragon wins on CPU performance. The big problem with Snapdragon S8/S8+ is that they secretly use UFS 2.0 instead of Exynos S8/S8+ using UFS 2.1. With the Note8 this is not a problem, both Exynos and Snapdragon use UFS 2.1. This may be one reason why Note8 trashes the S8/S8+ in all the Youtube speed test videos where they open and close a lot of apps in addition to the Note8 having 6 GB of RAM.

bucklam66

We're you using Pocketcasts? Unless I'm using a Google app, it always does this on my phone a HTC10.

I've had a weird bug on my phone today to and from work.

I usually listen to music or a podcast while I use Google Maps. Normally when a turn is coming up Google Maps pauses the audio app, says the direction, and then resumes the audio app.

But today when connected to my bluetooth headphones, Google Maps paused the audio app, was silent when it should be announcing the turn, and then resumed the audio app.

It seemed to just be an issue while connected to bluetooth, because using the speaker on my phone, I had no issues. I think I'll try rebooting my phone and trying it again to see if it's still wonky. I use my bluetooth headset with podcasts and Google Maps a lot, so this is a pretty annoying bug.

Wonder why they haven't announced an android 8.1 for launch with Pixel XL 2? No way a 8.0 revision isn't out by the time it's at my doorstep. Using 8.0 now on my Pixel XL. No noticeable difference from the Oneplus 5 other than it warms up a little and the screen is much better. Speed and battery life seem about the same. Pixel XL 2 should have beastly battery life, but I might just sell those and keep this XL I bought new for $400.

We're you using Pocketcasts? Unless I'm using a Google app, it always does this on my phone a HTC10.
I was, but I tested out Audible too and it was doing the same thing (pausing the app to speak the directions, but then not saying anything).

My S7 Edge never had any issues with this in the last year or more I've had it, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have this bug with my Moto Z Play before today (pretty sure I've used navigation and pocketcasts together with no issues since owning it).
you were driving with headphones on?
They aren't noise canceling/isolating at all (Bose Soundsport I think they're called), I only have one bud in at a time, and I never have the volume high. I still have full awareness of my surroundings, the audio clarity on my headphones is way better than my car speakers.

My car doesn't have Bluetooth and the aux plug+cable kinda suck.

NeOak

No. Samsung warranty only covers devices used in the country of origin. This is a huge pain in the ass but it's how they roll. To claim a warranty on an out-of-country device, it has to be sent back to the country of origin and serviced in that country.

There is now a shitty root for S8/S8+/Note8 which doesn't unlock the bootloader and limits the battery to 80% charge. If you were specifically looking to buy Exynos for basic root to do simple things like ad blocking, you can settle for the US version. Of course if you are still interested in custom ROMs or being able to use Magisk, you have to buy Exynos.

Exynos and Snapdragon are much much closer this year than on S7 generation. Exynos still wins on standby battery life and GPU performance, Snapdragon wins on CPU performance. The big problem with Snapdragon S8/S8+ is that they secretly use UFS 2.0 instead of Exynos S8/S8+ using UFS 2.1. With the Note8 this is not a problem, both Exynos and Snapdragon use UFS 2.1. This may be one reason why Note8 trashes the S8/S8+ in all the Youtube speed test videos where they open and close a lot of apps in addition to the Note8 having 6 GB of RAM.

You can scratch the "+" from the UFS 2.0. It is only Snapdragon S8 units that can come with UFS 2.0. S8+ are all UFS 2.1.

Top Bottom