• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jeffrey

Tempted to grab one myself

Heard bad things about the low volume on the speakers though
Yeah. Thank God for Amazon return policy.

Think I'll just wait for the next few tech events to see what fall Sony is about. Rumors are the fall flagship will launch with Android O and be min bezel tall screen.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
nexus2cee_p2xl_wide_thumb.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ow-bezel-amoled-display-and-squeezable-frame/

Moving to the front, we see the star of the show: an LG-made AMOLED display 6" across at a 2:1 aspect ratio with minimal bezel and rounded corners. It gives the next-generation XL a much more modern look, putting it firmly alongside phones like the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 that have sought to increase display size without sacrificing on ergonomics, by lengthening the panel and dramatically reducing the amount of bezel on the front of the device. Google doesn't quite take it to the full-on Samsung level here, but I still think this is going to ensure the new XL doesn't look behind the curve on smartphone design in 2017. The "3D" glass effect is also much more pronounced on this phone, though don't go confusing that for a curved display - the screen itself is flat.

Lots more at link

RoKKeR

Actually looks good... better than I was expecting. But why the squeeze?

I just hope they actually make it possible to buy the damn thing.

Also I hope there is some dual lens / zoom trickery with the camera.

ArchAngel

Nexus was not designed by Google, guys. Google even told the story that some manufacurer designed the Nexus devices and Google chose the one they liked the most and made some small changes. The Nexus 5X was still a LG phone, the 6P an Huawei device with Google as software engeneers. For Pixel Google decides on the hardware. Many people ignored the story and told their shit about it, even though Google said this even way back on the Galaxy Nexus (RIP) and the last Pixel event.

BUT: This doesn't mean it won't bootloop. You can find those on almost every smartphone. Hopefully they know what they are doing (which you can't depend on with Google)

I still hope they'll use 2 speakers. The single speaker of the Pixel was the biggest downgrade from the 6P :/ Miss it every time I watch youtube on that thing.

Kaiken

Banned
Sold my Pixel XL just in time. I'm sure these leaks will severely bury the price of resale. Although I'd like to buy the new ones coming later this year I just can't do vanilla android anymore. I got so bored of my Pixel in record time.

Dobsie

Doubtful it'll have stereo speakers, and didn't the XDA leak a week or so ago say no headphone jack on the xl model??
Hopefully with it being made by LG the price will tank after a few months, not too hopeful of this though as Google never seem to produce enough of these units.

DagsJT

Sold my Pixel XL just in time. I'm sure these leaks will severely bury the price of resale. Although I'd like to buy the new ones coming later this year I just can't do vanilla android anymore. I got so bored of my Pixel in record time.

I'm hoping to replace my S7 with a Pixel or G6 so it'd be great if everyone sold their Pixel's off now and I could get one cheap :)

Groof

I know, my point was both phones had bootloop problems 6P less so than the 5X.
Every phone has a chance of bootlooping but the 6p was not known for it. Bad battery on the other hand...

What makes me sad is that the rest of the world will probably never see the pixel phones and it will most likely be expensive af

Jeffrey

man, all reviews say xz premium speakers are quiet.

giant bezels for quiet stereo speakers?

4k screen thats 1080p most of the time (4k adb hack seems to break dialer?).

heavy processed image from photos.

Sure is a lot of compromises for $800 msrp.

reKon

Banned
Sony once again is trash at using Sony sensors.

can't they send some of their camera engineers over?

If their next flagship truly has barely any bezels and it was to become a battery champion, their camera would be the one thing that will probably ruin everything to me. The one on my Sony phone was good, but I refuse to go backwards from the S7.

man, all reviews say xz premium speakers are quiet.

giant bezels for quiet stereo speakers?

4k screen thats 1080p most of the time (4k adb hack seems to break dialer?).

heavy processed image from photos.

Sure is a lot of compromises for $800 msrp.

You forgot no FP sensor.

As much as I rag on Sony I really want to like them. Their software supposedly is very good and they are pretty much the pioneers of water resistance, but they're either trying too hard or they just don't GAF. I can't tell which it is.

You forgot no FP sensor.

As much as I rag on Sony I really want to like them. Their software supposedly is very good and they are pretty much the pioneers of water resistance, but they're either trying too hard or they just don't GAF. I can't tell which it is.

is it really forgetting?

or just assuming everyone in the thread knows that Sony phones have the fingerprint sensor disabled in software in the US because they are complete fucking idiots.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sony frustrates me to no end. Like, everyone else has figured out the waterproof/low speaker volume issue and they haven't on their ~$650-700 phone. Jeez

RoKKeR

Shame that the bottom speaker doesn't appear to be on the front. Just need headphone jack confirmation and an at&t version and I'm finally upgrading.

Yep, this is my biggest concern. I hope they actually make the damn phone in appropriate quantities and allow other carriers (read: ATT) to sell it through their installment plans. But considering it's Google, I'm not hopeful.

Jeffrey

Wish I could see a Xperia xzp in person somewhere. Don't think best buy has demo units? They even have Huawei stuff on the floor lol.

Top Bottom