• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

DagsJT

Hopefully this is the right place for this!

I'm looking at getting a new phone soon, as my 2014 Moto G is starting to show its age. I'm sure Android-GAF will have plenty of recommendations :p

Requirements:
Available in the UK
~£200 maximum
Micro SD support
Headphone jack
At least 32GB internal storage
Good battery life
Would prefer a smaller phone I can use with one hand

Currently looking at the Lenovo P2 (£210) - it meets all my requirements other than its slightly larger size, and makes up for that with crazy good battery life. I'm also considering just going for the straight upgrade to a Moto G4 (£140). Anyone with any experience with these or other suggestions?

I think you can get a Moto G5+ for £190 or so nowadays.

Wichu

G5 is more stock android feel while lenovo skin is more ios feel.

Apparently you can disable the Lenovo skin easily? G5+ comes with Android 7 while the P2 comes with Android 6 - what would I be missing with 6?

So far the P2's bigger battery is winning over the G5+'s better camera, but if the OS is much better I'll go with the G5+.

IronRaven

Out of curiosity, anyone here with a G6 have experience with how warm it can get under load? Using my 6P to play Fate/GO turns the 810 into a hot plate.

Jeffrey

Out of curiosity, anyone here with a G6 have experience with how warm it can get under load? Using my 6P to play Fate/GO turns the 810 into a hot plate.
Get a op5 if you care about heat. Doesn't get hot at all when I was grinding 6 hrs of FGO straight one day lol. Truly hell

IronRaven

Get a op5 if you care about heat. Doesn't get hot at all when I was grinding 6 hrs of FGO straight one day lol. Truly hell

I would, but I'm still stuck on Verizon so the OP5 is out of the question for now. I will keep that in mind though. Add me on FGO! I'll PM you my code.

Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/6xVVRFKmEsM

Some budget ass MI mix clone, but seems pretty solid for like $170.

That off center USB port though.

Wish more phones did this kind of no bezel top. As someone that's taken maybe 3 selfies in my life total, a bottom placed one won't affect me in any way.

Groof

as much as the bezel less thing is cool the fact that there is still a huge cutout for the camera just makes it pointless to me

Jeffrey

I prefer the G6 and S8 route of tiny bezels on the top and bottom. Can still get front facing speakers that way as well.

except there aren't any lol. think you need some bezel to have some decent front speakers.

I bet xperia phones would be hella loud if there wasn't waterproof stuff.

except there aren't any lol. think you need some bezel to have some decent front speakers.

I bet xperia phones would be hella loud if there wasn't waterproof stuff.
Well, I said can, as in, it's a possibility you don't have with no bezels at all. Plus I like to just have a little bezel anyway.

Jeffrey

bezels aren't sexy but help with usability. hard to 1 hand a s8 without a case on, cant really reach for the bottom left stuff without holding the phone in a risky way.

Watch it be a better device though

well the leaks say midrange specs, but for all we can tell essential isn't real, so sharp probably wins by default.

Jeffrey

i usually use cases, and tempered screen protectors back when phones had flat panels.

Even stuff like op5 has '2d glass' so normal temper stuff won't fit right anymore.

so lame.

my s8+ screen been fine nude though, but ironically the back has micro scratches from cases.

i usually use cases, and tempered screen protectors back when phones had flat panels.

Even stuff like op5 has '2d glass' so normal temper stuff won't fit right anymore.

so lame.

my s8+ screen been fine nude though, but ironically the back has micro scratches from cases.

Did you know the Oneplus 5 is apparently secretly waterproof?

Most of the time there is app parity between iOS and Android....except games.

Games always come out on iOS first and then at some point in the undetermined future make it to Android. Also games run much better on iOS than they do on Android, even on the most powerful Android devices. It's almost shameful at this point how shitty Android is for games and how Google seems powerless to address it in any meaningful way.

acm2000

Games always come out on iOS first and then at some point in the undetermined future make it to Android. Also games run much better on iOS than they do on Android, even on the most powerful Android devices. It's almost shameful at this point how shitty Android is for games and how Google seems powerless to address it in any meaningful way.

You mean how Google doesn't pay off developers like apple does?

Dobsie

Hopefully this is the right place for this!

I'm looking at getting a new phone soon, as my 2014 Moto G is starting to show its age. I'm sure Android-GAF will have plenty of recommendations :p

Requirements:
Available in the UK
~£200 maximum
Micro SD support
Headphone jack
At least 32GB internal storage
Good battery life
Would prefer a smaller phone I can use with one hand

Currently looking at the Lenovo P2 (£210) - it meets all my requirements other than its slightly larger size, and makes up for that with crazy good battery life. I'm also considering just going for the straight upgrade to a Moto G4 (£140). Anyone with any experience with these or other suggestions?

P2 is great but according to the HUKD thread it's discontinued and no stock anywhere. G5+ is probably your next best choice unless you want to cheap out and get one of the Xiaomi redmi note 4's shipped from China for about £120. The camera won't match any flagship but if you get the global version it has all the required bands and the sd625 along with a big battery.

Jeffrey

The only games that matter these days, gacha show up on both. Don't notice huge difference in performance for recent stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My wife wants to move out of iOS and into Android. She sold her MBA and returned her Apple Watch so she's pretty much done with Apple as an ecosystem. She doesn't play games, so it's not an issue for her. She just wants the best camera on a phone that she can possibly get. She also doesn't want it to be as big as my 6S+.

Is the S8 for her? I'm thinking of just buying it outright and selling her 6S to offset the cost. The waterproofing on the S8 has her interested (a coworker of hers has the phone and talks about how great that feature is), and it also needs to have a headphone jack (so no Pixel 2 when that comes out).

Jeffrey

The only games that matter these days, gacha show up on both. Don't notice huge difference in performance for recent stuff.

MattDoza

My wife wants to move out of iOS and into Android. She sold her MBA and returned her Apple Watch so she's pretty much done with Apple as an ecosystem. She doesn't play games, so it's not an issue for her. She just wants the best camera on a phone that she can possibly get. She also doesn't want it to be as big as my 6S+.

Is the S8 for her? I'm thinking of just buying it outright and selling her 6S to offset the cost. The waterproofing on the S8 has her interested (a coworker of hers has the phone and talks about how great that feature is), and it also needs to have a headphone jack (so no Pixel 2 when that comes out).

I think it's pretty easy to go check an S8 out at a Best Buy or your carrier store. Demo units can be utter shit because of the greasy hands that touch em, but at least she can get a feel for the size and the display being curved.

Ty4on

I think it's pretty easy to go check an S8 out at a Best Buy or your carrier store. Demo units can be utter shit because of the greasy hands that touch em, but at least she can get a feel for the size and the display being curved.
And the red accent if that model is equipped with it

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We'll hit one up this weekend.

Do Android phones (unlocked) play well with international SIM cards? We are going to Germany, France, and Italy this fall. We'd love to be able to not have to pay AT&T international rates while we're there if that's an option.

Al-ibn Kermit

We'll hit one up this weekend.

Do Android phones (unlocked) play well with international SIM cards? We are going to Germany, France, and Italy this fall. We'd love to be able to not have to pay AT&T international rates while we're there if that's an option.

If it's a GSM unlocked phone it should be fine but I'd look up what frequency bands the cell companies in the country you're visiting uses. Sometimes Sprint and Verizon phones can't work on Euro carriers but if you're getting an AT&T compatible phone, you're most likely fine.

Top Bottom