• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

That squeezable frame shit sounds so ridic everytime I read about it.

It's almost like someone accidentally came across a bad connection while prototyping an decided to turn it into a feature.

this_guy

I just signed switched over to Sprint for their byod free unlimited for a year offer. All 4 major carriers work well in the Houston area (Sprint actually has the best signal in my office) so I can't complain about free service.

Now where's that Essential phone that was supposed to be released at the end of June at? If it doesn't impress I wouldn't mind getting the Moto X4 since it's an unlocked phone that works on all the US carriers.

Here's Sprint's offer by the way:
Free unlimited service with Sprint for a year. https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html

Jeffrey

It'd hard to understand what flossy means at times when he mixed up terminology lol. At the end of the video he says the 11 holds apps in memory well?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Maybe I'm a light user, but I still swear I've had no RAM problems on my S8.

I'll admit I'm not a power user, and I'm also not one to have a browser with a gazillion tabs.

You're supposed to be running benchmarks in the background + editing RAW files on Lightroom + shooting a 4k30 video as a bare minimum!

Everybody knows this.

Jeffrey

Maybe I'm a light user, but I still swear I've had no RAM problems on my S8.

I'll admit I'm not a power user, and I'm also not one to have a browser with a gazillion tabs.
That's me on a computer. Generally just use 1 tab on phone though.

I do bounce between Twitter reddit YouTube Chrome, irc,discord apps and some mobile games. Do split screen etc.

Only phones I've owned that could handle this without occasional reloads was op3 op5 pixel. OP5 is where even games don't really reload.

Where android hangs the most is the share menu where it loads the suggested stuff at the top. OP5 might be the first phone where that delay is barely there from the ones I've tested.

kaiyo

I do bounce between Twitter reddit YouTube Chrome, irc,discord apps and some mobile games. Do split screen etc.

Only phones I've owned that could handle this without occasional reloads was op3 op5 pixel. OP5 is where even games don't really reload.

Where android hangs the most is the share menu where it loads the suggested stuff at the top. OP5 might be the first phone where that delay is barely there from the ones I've tested.

You need to test out the Xperia =P

Jeffrey

You need to test out the Xperia =P

too much effort.

expensive (to have a US warranty), need to flash a different firmware to get fingerprint sensors to work, which might affect us cellular signal according to xda thread.

Then i need to do adb scripts to get actual 4k, which breaks the stock phone app... and probably affects performance.

seems like distortion still happens on the camera.

Believe me, ive done my research!

too much effort.

expensive (to have a US warranty), need to flash a different firmware to get fingerprint sensors to work, which might affect us cellular signal according to xda thread.

Then i need to do adb scripts to get actual 4k, which breaks the stock phone app... and probably affects performance.

a firmware flash wouldn't affect the reception if you don't flash the radio

just saying

buy yea, sony the bess

Jeffrey

regardless, why pay $800 for a 4k/1080p snappy phone with a bad camera when I've already paid $540 for basically that?

Anyways, where is that essential phone. pixel 2 is like 3months away.

reKon

Banned

You keep saying this, but I don't think that's where Android lag is shown. The one place where it always shows up is the play store. I'm surprised that not many people here acknowledge that.

Jeffrey

You keep saying this, but I don't think that's where Android lag is shown. The one place where it always shows up is the play store. I'm surprised that not many people here acknowledge that.
Don't really notice anything too stuttery there besides elements might take a second to load.

But I'm not in the play store much these days.

Jeffrey

Which is exactly what makes him so good. He brings the opinion of the average person
Sometimes he mixes up terminology but that's fine.

He keeps it real which is really what matters.

Speaking of which I've discovered Damir franc on YouTube. Dude also does like 40 min reviews.

But he talks about many Europe exclusive phones that always interested me.

kaiyo

too much effort.

You can test it without fignerprint first =) and flashing firmware does not affect signal strength. Stop making excuses!

according to Damir it barely affect performance or battery.

regardless, why pay $800 for a 4k/1080p snappy phone with a bad camera when I've already paid $540 for basically that?

Anyways, where is that essential phone. pixel 2 is like 3months away.

It does not have a bad camera.. see Damir's video :

Sometimes he mixes up terminology but that's fine.

He keeps it real which is really what matters.

Speaking of which I've discovered Damir franc on YouTube. Dude also does like 40 min reviews.

But he talks about many Europe exclusive phones that always interested me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1osQVJiYM

camera comparison starts at @24 between U11, XZ Premium, OP5 and Mi6

Funny about all this DXO talk, the Xperia topped the charts yesteryears, but no one cared back then? lol and people say sony camera sucks etc, and still do even now even when the XZ Premium is a top performer.

Which is exactly what makes him so good. He brings the opinion of the average person

But ram management is pretty easy to observe, see apps getting refreshed. What's good about giving wrong info/impressions?

bedlamite

The Xperia is just never going to do very well in the US. For better or for worse, giant bezel-less screens are now an Android Thing, and Sony is lagging behind in that respect.

It's also expensive (though well worth it, IMO, build quality is top notch), and the lack of a fingerprint scanner is the final nail in the coffin. Sure you can flash the firmware, but how many mainstream users do you think are going to do such a thing?

I've had a XZP for a few weeks now and this thing is an absolute champ, but it doesn't quite have that mainstream appeal. People are going to value a big sexy screen over a solidly running phone that'll stay that way for months, but eh, what can you do

Jeffrey

I'm still baffled that Sony is still selling phones in the US at those prices and no fingerprint censor which means clearly enough people are buying them to matter. Like Huawei and zte seemed to have given up with not budget devices and surely those did better than Sony flagships.

Don't really see them charting on amazon.

Maybe it's just some stubborn executive over at Sony that keeps the US phone business on life support.

kaiyo

The Xperia is just never going to do very well in the US. For better or for worse, giant bezel-less screens are now an Android Thing, and Sony is lagging behind in that respect.

It's also expensive (though well worth it, IMO, build quality is top notch), and the lack of a fingerprint scanner is the final nail in the coffin. Sure you can flash the firmware, but how many mainstream users do you think are going to do such a thing?

I've had a XZP for a few weeks now and this thing is an absolute champ, but it doesn't quite have that mainstream appeal. People are going to value a big sexy screen over a solidly running phone that'll stay that way for months, but eh, what can you do

I bet Sony will enable the FP once what ever is blocking them (contract or w.e it is) is over with via a firmware update.

And the rumor that the XZ1 will have smaller bezels. Just hope they increase speaker volume and add a larger battery.

edit:
I'm still baffled that Sony is still selling phones in the US at those prices and no fingerprint censor which means clearly enough people are buying them to matter. Like Huawei and zte seemed to have given up with not budget devices and surely those did better than Sony flagships.

Don't really see them charting on amazon.

Maybe it's just some stubborn executive over at Sony that keeps the US phone business on life support.

It's because it's at those prices that they can make a profit in the US lol

Wichu

So I ended up getting a Moto G5 Plus. It doesn't like my earphones (won't recognise that they're plugged in), making it useless for listening to music - one of the main things I wanted it for :/

Jeffrey

So I ended up getting a Moto G5 Plus. It doesn't like my earphones (won't recognise that they're plugged in), making it useless for listening to music - one of the main things I wanted it for :/
Weird. Don't think that's ever happened to me with a phone. Have you tried a different headphone to see if the jack is busted?

Wichu

Weird. Don't think that's ever happened to me with a phone. Have you tried a different headphone to see if the jack is busted?

Just tried a few others. They all work except my main pair. The earphones work fine in literally every other device - it's just that pair and my new phone specifically that don't get along. Weird.

Just tried a few others. They all work except my main pair. The earphones work fine in literally every other device - it's just that pair and my new phone specifically that don't get along. Weird.

What headphones?

Make sure it's plugged all the way in. A friend of a friend of mines went three weeks thinking their phone audio sucked before realizing they weren't plugged in all the way. Boy was my face red. I mean his face. yea that's it.

Wichu

Mr.Shrugglesツ;243461313 said:
What headphones?

Make sure it's plugged all the way in. A friend of a friend of mines went three weeks thinking their phone audio sucked before realizing they weren't plugged in all the way. Boy was my face red. I mean his face. yea that's it.

Brainwavz Delta. Yes, I've made sure they're all the way in. In fact, if I push them in not quite all the way, it seems to recognise them, but the sound doesn't work properly - as soon as they pop all the way in though, nothing.

Anyway, I pulled out my spare pair of Deltas that I have just in case my current pair breaks, and they work. Looks like it's time to retire the old ones - maybe the plug has worn down too much?

Jzero

I'm definitely getting the Pixel 2 if they don't sell out instantly. I can't get over how shitty the G6 camera is :(
Most people probably can't tell the difference but it fucks me up.

fBOMmGm.jpg

Ty4on

I'm definitely getting the Pixel 2 if they don't sell out instantly. I can't get over how shitty the G6 camera is :(
Most people probably can't tell the difference but it fucks me up.

fBOMmGm.jpg

The softness of the left pic or the watercolor effect of the right pic?

U11 is really that good?

What are changes that Pixel 2 is based on U11?

Rumors are it'll have a 1080p and presumably AMOLED. U11 is 1440p LCD.

Jzero

The softness of the left pic or the watercolor effect of the right pic?
Left is my 6P and the grainy water color piece of shit on the right in the G6.
The G6 is absolute trash for concert photography.

Welp. Sony bezel premium ordered. Wonder if Amazon will eventually get mad at me buying and return phones all the time.
Yes, you can even get your account banned.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wow, he really liked the G6 too I think, solid list of top phones.

You can get the G6 on heavy discount. So your getting premium like features for less and you can get it on carrier so you're not dealing with an unlocked Chinese phone.

Plus Floss really liked the wide angle lense.

Welp. Sony bezel premium ordered. Wonder if Amazon will eventually get mad at me buying and return phones all the time.

They will just ban your account. My htc u11 will probably go back with that being said. I still can't justify the cost difference of this over an old OnePlus One. Waiting to see what LG fucks up on the Pixel 2 to make it so I can't keep it. I'm guessing no notification light.

Jzero

Waiting to see what LG fucks up on the Pixel 2 to make it so I can't keep it. I'm guessing no notification light.
Wait what? Is it confirmed they're making it? They'll probably fuck up the camera like on the G6 unless Google doesn't let them.

Jeffrey

They will just ban your account. My htc u11 will probably go back with that being said. I still can't justify the cost difference of this over an old OnePlus One. Waiting to see what LG fucks up on the Pixel 2 to make it so I can't keep it. I'm guessing no notification light.

Doubt it. I got prime and buy too much shit lol.

And at least with the Sony I can return it saying the fingerprint sensor is broken 🤣

Jeffrey

Wonder what 4k content there is anyways besides mkhd videos. I'm not gonna pay extra for premium Netflix. Amazon has some 4k stuff?

Top Bottom