• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

RuGalz

My Zenwatch 2 typically can last 2 days but it all depends on the watch face I use.

If I use an analog watch face display that use fewer pixels on the screen in ambient mode, 2 days is pretty easily accomplished. If I use a digital one that uses more of the screen, it's like a good 30-40% worse on the battery.

Blackhead

Redarse
Google Could Beat Apple At Fashion—Just Like It Did Phones
lCyqRCt.jpg

0SApgVs.jpg

1IHNiP8.jpg
While the Apple Watch has made its way to Vogue and Beyonce’s Instagram, it’s Google’s Android Wear that’s quickly catching on with designers at large.

This week at the elite watch conference Baselworld, Google signed on Michael Kors and Nixon to further diversify the lineup. That means in the 20 months since Android Wear originally debuted, Google has enlisted nine tech companies and four fashion labels to produce 18 unique Android Wear watches of their own—and that’s not counting a multitude of sizing, color, and band options.

Meanwhile, Apple still has one watch, made by Apple. If you’d like, you can buy a band from other designers like Hermes. But the hardware? The aesthetic? The watch itself? That comes from Apple...

Jzero

Can't wait to get rid of my OG 360. Shit randomly shuts down at nearly full charge and I have to put it on its dock for it to work again. Can't wait for the new stuff coming

oti

Banned
I said what the hell and bought the Zenwatch 2 used from Amazon WHD for 120€ in "good" condition (20€ off for Easter, I just hope there isn't a humungous scratch on the screen or something). I used to own the OG LG watch but I sold it after not using it much after a while. I'm interest to see if Wear has evolved (the LG didn't have Wi-Fi, the Zenwatch 2 does) and if I'm going to use it regularly or not. Every WHD purchase comes with a 30-day trial period so I could just send it back.

It'll be here on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Chorazin

Just ordered the Urbane 2nd LTE, I'm pretty optimistic about it! The Moto 360 was a bit of a disappointment, but I think the much bigger battery is going to make me super happy. Wish it wasn't gonna be quite so massive, but I think it'll be fine.

MattyG

Banned
I posted a thread looking for advice on which to get last week. Didn't know this OT was here! I decided on a Moto 360 2nd gen, getting it Friday or Saturday. I'm pretty excited.

Mrcapcom

I posted a thread looking for advice on which to get last week. Didn't know this OT was here! I decided on a Moto 360 2nd gen, getting it Friday or Saturday. I'm pretty excited.

Nice I'm still happy with Gen 1 pls let me know what you think. I'm on the fence on gen 2 or a fit bit HR

I've got a Nexus 6P and Huawei Watch and I just got an update for messenger that adds wear support. When I click on the Watch app it tells me to install Messenger on my phone (It already is) and if I click install, I get a Wear has stopped working.

Anyone else seeing this?

So I guess this isn't Android Wear but damn if Blocks isn't enticing. Bummer that the KS has already closed, but for the Core + 4 modules you're only looking at $330. Plus tons of possibilities with their module rollout plan.

Chorazin

Got the LG Urbane 2nd Edition LTE on Friday, and have been wearing it constantly since it came out of the box.

FUCK. YES.

This is finally a smartwatch that lives up to what a connected watch should be. Battery life with LTE off (not on Automatic, it's better for battery life to just manually turn cellular on when you need it) and connected via BT? CRAZY AWESOME. It's been off the charger for almost 4 hours now and hasn't even lost a single percent of battery. Now, I'm not constantly playing with it or anything, but I'm checking the time and reading notifications when they happen using Gestures.

Battery with LTE (and not connected to phone) is really good as well, used it at the gym last night with NumberSync active and the two hours I was there it drained about 30%. That's absolutely acceptable to me, I'm not going to be using this for long periods of time without my phone. It was so great to not have to worry about my phone when I was working out!

Screen looks awesome (could be better in sunlight but it's still readable), watch looks super nice, even if it is heavy and thick. You're stuck with the watch band on the phone since the antennas are built in, but I like them. Really comfy too, and I have thin wrists.

I really, really love this watch. Totally worth the money with AT&T even with the $10 monthly access fee, where it's waaaaaay cheaper than Verizon. Also, it's SIM unlocked, so if you buy it for full price with AT&T, you can throw a T-MO sim in it and you're golden (even if you won't have LTE, just 3G).

oti

Banned
Sending my Asus Zenwatch 2 back after a week. The watch itself is fine and ways better than the OG LG but Android Wear itself still isn't useful enough for me. Main thing I did was checking my daily steps and using it as a remote to skip YT videos from my Chromecast playlists, that's not worth 100+ euros for me.

I don't really know what I want out of a Smartwatch I think.

VanWinkle

So I have wanted a smartwatch for a while but felt like they were way too expensive for an accessory. I did some research on the latest ones a couple of days ago to see what the landscape looked like, and found the Zenwatch 2 for $129. I felt like that was a low enough entry point for me to get on board.

I got it today and I absolutely LOVE it. It genuinely is a really convenient piece of technology. It's also way more comfortable than my old regular watch. I was planning on buying a new band since I didn't really want a "rubber" one, but now that I have it, it's really nice.

I'm still trying to get a hang of all the features and whatnot, but it's really surprisingly awesome to me. I mean, sure, I would like smaller bezels, and I probably would have preferred a round face, but I'm VERY happy considering it was $129.

rsz_imgp0821.jpg

Chorazin

Had 4G on and bluetooth headphones going for 1.5 hours at the gym last night, sending a few voice texts and using it as a timer. Savaged the Urbane 2E's battery like a boss, from about 70% to 7% by the end, but totally worth it to not have to worry about my phone getting stepped on or someone dropping a weight on it.

Next time I'll remember to turn off Tilt to Wake Screen which should save a little battery, and maybe drop it on the charger for a few minutes while I change before heading out to get more of a buffer zone. Can't wait until the StrongLifts 5x5 app adds Wear support!

My 1st gen Moto 360 is giving me problems. Randomly disconnects from Bluetooth for hours. :(

Feels bad man. I might go back to a normal watch soon. I don't want to buy another smartwatch if this is the future.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 1st gen Moto 360 is giving me problems. Randomly disconnects from Bluetooth for hours. :(

Feels bad man. I might go back to a normal watch soon. I don't want to buy another smartwatch if this is the future.
The first gen 360 wasn't the future if it released three years earlier than it did. It was rubbish hardware from day -1200.

The first gen 360 wasn't the future if it released three years earlier than it did. It was rubbish hardware from day -1200.

I don't know. I've loved it up until this point and have worn it daily for a year and a half. Great performance, the battery life got better all the time. I just have no idea if this is a hardware or software problem, and how/if it's even possible to fix it.

It's a bummer.

Psykotik

anybody know if the samsung gear s2 works with the nexus 6p?

thinking of buying an s2 but i heard that it has problems connecting.

franzer

So i picked up a Huawei Watch a few days ago, having used an Apple Watch for the past few weeks. For reference I have both a Nexus 6p and a iphone 6s+ (use them to test MDM for work). I gotta say, the Huawei Watch has blown me away. Fitness wise, i still say the Apple Watch is much better, but the Huawei Watch for everyday use and notification is beautiful. Swapping my watch face has become a daily task, simply because i can and them being so neat.

Question: is there anyway to swap watch faces on a time interval? Could I use tasker for this?

Aiii

So not worth it
I was pleased to find out that intersect raven has started creating optimized multi core boot images for the Huawei Watch now, my only problem after switching from the G Watch R to the Huawei was losing out on that multi core speed. So yay for him.

It looks like Google might be releasing some new type of swappable Watch Bands. They posted a video on Youtube highlighting how easy it is to swap your band out for a new one and it looks to be compatible with different watches. There are also links for more information and a purchase link to the Google Play store but they are not working at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6Z5jC7Pik

Hasney

It looks like Google might be releasing some new type of swappable Watch Bands. They posted a video on Youtube highlighting how easy it is to swap your band out for a new one and it looks to be compatible with different watches. There are also links for more information and a purchase link to the Google Play store but they are not working at the moment.

LG Watch R already uses standard watch bands. Hopefully they don't come out with some other standard for Android Wear devices.

Aiii

So not worth it
LG Watch R already uses standard watch bands. Hopefully they don't come out with some other standard for Android Wear devices.

Doesn't really matter, the chinese will fill ebay with 1 dollar fake ones in no-time anyways.

I really love the easy switch mechanism on the Huawei Watch, no messing about with watch tools and pins.

Jzero

Jesus, not for that between $50 and $70 price.

Aiii

So not worth it
Android Wear 2.0 developer preview: https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/index.html

For Huawei Watch and Urbane 2 only atm.

Includes...
Independent apps that do not require tethering to your phone.
Apps can now display information on any watch face
Messaging options now include handwriting recognition and a gesture keyboard.
Replying to messages now includes smart-replies depending on context of incoming messages.
Smartwatch sensors will now alert apps to activity, automatically starting apps depending on the type of activity detected.
Applications can now share data, for example apps can pull activity from Google Fit.
Full release this fall.

Updated to Android Wear 2.0 first, oh boy this is he update we've been waiting for.

First impression: A full circular UI, it is absolutely glorious. Of course no standalone apps yet, but just what it needed.

Absolutely love it.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, the best change in 2.0 (and I'm loving all of the changes I've found so far), is the fact that music controls now replace the watchface when you're playing audio content. I was listening to Audible during my walk to work and you can now instantly pause and adjust the volume without having to swipe a card, perfect.

Jzero

So, the best change in 2.0 (and I'm loving all of the changes I've found so far), is the fact that music controls now replace the watchface when you're playing audio content. I was listening to Audible during my walk to work and you can now instantly pause and adjust the volume without having to swipe a card, perfect.

Two bad it's not coming to my OG 360. R.I.P.

jokkir

It's not?

Really, what a shame, is it because of the older hardware?

Maybe he was talking about the preview? I don't see it coming to any Moto 360 because of how it charges (wireless charging and it being a pain to connect through ADB)

Danj

The plastic component of the steel strap on my SmartWatch 3 has cracked, but it seems like getting replacement steel straps is damn near impossible and in some cases it'd actually be cheaper to just buy a whole new watch.

• Does anyone know of any sources that a) have stock of the SW3 steel strap b) at non insane prices c) that ship to the UK?
  • Failing that, what's the best Android Wear smartwatch with a metal strap on the market right now?

Hasney

Not sure about the Sony straps, but the Huawei watch would be the one to get. Supports any 18mm standard watch bands.

Danj

the Huawei watch would be the one to get. Supports any 18mm standard watch bands.

Cor, it's not cheap is it, I think I'll have to shelve that idea for the moment. It's a pity there don't seem to be any third party straps for the Sony SmartWatch 3? Or does anyone know of any?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The plastic component of the steel strap on my SmartWatch 3 has cracked, but it seems like getting replacement steel straps is damn near impossible and in some cases it'd actually be cheaper to just buy a whole new watch.

• Does anyone know of any sources that a) have stock of the SW3 steel strap b) at non insane prices c) that ship to the UK?
  • Failing that, what's the best Android Wear smartwatch with a metal strap on the market right now?
Still my favorite Android watch but damn if the strap situation isn't a bummer.

Danj

Still my favorite Android watch but damn if the strap situation isn't a bummer.

I've put in a ticket with Sony Mobile support, hoping I can pay them some money and send it in to be repaired.

In the meantime I've dug out my old, decidedly non-smart Casio CMD-40. Still works!

ito007

Anybody got a moto 360 sport that can vouch for it? I'm drawn to it but I know the 360s don't have the best reputation around here. I really like the GPS functionality with silicone body that goes along with the standard Android wear functions.

Jzero

I can't believe the OG 360 isn't getting Android Wear 2.0
I feel like a dumb ass for spending $300 at launch on this piece of obsolete trash.

Motorola isn't getting any more of my money.

Hopefully people here can steer me in the right direction.

My wife got me a Moto 360 Sport over the weekend but said I could exchange it for a different style if it didn't fit what I need. I was debating between keeping this or maybe swapping it for the Huawei. Currently, I use a Pebble Time.

Moto 360 Sport Pros:

- AnyLight screen which should be great for outdoor viewing
- Ambient light sensor
- GPS and Fitness features

Huawei Pros:

- No flat tire on the screen
- Nicer looking which could be handy for dressier occaisions
- Speaker

So I'm kind of torn which way to go. Any advice?

Hasney

It's Huawei all the way. Certainly not heard any complaints about visibility in the sun, hell, even my LG Watch is fine no matter the light.

The Huawei is currently the watch Google is holding up as the higher standard and the new fitness tools are in there on the N preview. Unless there's one feature you can only get on the 360, it's a slam dunk really.

Someone shoot straight with me. I like the look of some of these watches, infact I picked up an LG G watch on sale via verizon fire sale, but I never wear it.

What is the big benefit?

1) Tells time

2) Notifies you of calls/texts/emails

3) Fitness based stuff

The battery is why I never wear my G. I have a few automatic watches that tell time for a week without being worn, and never need more than a few winds of charging. What am I missing?

Garmin Vivofit seems to have a lot better control of the fitness stuff at like $50 and tells the time. No text/email/call but my cell does that via vibration.

Whats the killer app I am overlooking?

Top Bottom