• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anew: The Distant Light |KS| A vibrant sci-fi metroidvania

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799572177/anew-the-distant-light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WW5HNbaglw
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809658127
http://www.anewthegame.com/

You are a child with limited resources, waking up on a distant alien moon, twenty light years from Earth. You must carry out a mission of critical importance. Make your way through an exotic and dangerous alien world. Seek out game-changing equipment, upgrades, and vehicles to expand your options for combat and exploration.
er8SgGv.gif
RN1kmi1.gif

• Explore and unlock an unknown alien moon to discover your origins and your mission. Your adventure will take you above and below the surface of the moon, across rocky landscapes, towering spires, deep frozen lakes, and more.
  • Discover new tools, abilities and weapons which allow you to unlock new areas in the game world. Environments play differently as you evolve, making it fun to explore familiar territory for previously unreachable items and access to new realms.
  • Pilot massive mechs, tanks, shuttles, and a variety of other awesome weaponized vehicles. Hop in and out at-will to explore on foot, or collect items and upgrades. Take on hordes of enemy soldiers with ease!
  • A day and night cycle with changing atmospheric conditions, weather effects, and a burning-hot sun modify gameplay in interesting ways that affect pacing and tactical decisions

jb1234

It looks gorgeous. Love the setting.

Soundtrack's good too. Love the fresh approach to harmony (at least for a game).

Cabal

Wow, can't believe there is not more interest in this one. I think it looks cool and I hope it gets funded, but maybe the genre is at its saturation point?

True Fire

I sighed at "Kickstarter Metroidvania" but those screenshots are beautiful. Probably the best Metroidvania I've seen

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Hey all! This is Jeff Spoonhower from Resonator. I'm 1/2 of the dev team working on Anew: The Distant Light.

Thanks for starting up this discussion, and a big thanks to those of you that have checked us out and backed us on Kickstarter!

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about our game.

Cabal

Hey all! This is Jeff Spoonhower from Resonator. I'm 1/2 of the dev team working on Anew: The Distant Light.

Thanks for starting up this discussion, and a big thanks to those of you that have checked us out and backed us on Kickstarter!

The game looks awesome. Good luck to you and your team.

jimboton

Looks so good, I couln't help but back it.

Is the whole world interconnected or is it split up in different zones/levels?

This looks great. I feel like this would be perfect on the Switch, but otherwise I can definitely see myself getting this on steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Any chance of an instant access or alpha/beta tier? It'd do nicely to fill in the gap between Game+ and Suited Up.

PaulloDEC

Looks absolutely bonkers. Loving the strange, wild art, and the gameplay seems fast and fun.

Not sure if I'll back yet, but great to see it on-track for an easy funding.

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Huge thanks for backing us! The game is split up into different zones, but each zone is quite large and has no loading. Loads (very short) will take place between these bigger zones.

Looks so good, I couln't help but back it.

Is the whole world interconnected or is it split up in different zones/levels?

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Thanks for the kind words! We will be making an announcement very soon regarding consoles :) We are currently developing the PC version and plan to launch on PC.

This looks great. I feel like this would be perfect on the Switch, but otherwise I can definitely see myself getting this on steam.

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Thanks! Not sure if you're a PC or console gamer, but we will be making an announcement soon on the console front. Hope you will consider backing us though, we would appreciate the support. Thanks for checking us out.

Looks absolutely bonkers. Loving the strange, wild art, and the gameplay seems fast and fun.

Not sure if I'll back yet, but great to see it on-track for an easy funding.

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Just wanted to let you all know that we are officially coming to consoles! We just announced a new backing tier @ $24 where you can get a digital copy of the game for PS4 or XB1.

Thanks,
Jeff

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just wanted to let you all know that we are officially coming to consoles! We just announced a new backing tier @ $24 where you can get a digital copy of the game for PS4 or XB1.

Thanks,
Jeff

Set a Switch stretch goal and I am in. A bunch of people would be in, honestly <3

Funded.

Keep the Metroidvania whining out please, we get like 15 a year if, such a fucking glut we're really just overflowing in them. People market it in Kickstarters because it's a genre people love and want.

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Really appreciate your pledge! Each and every one helps us get closer to our goal, so thanks much.

Yes - there are a lot of Metroidvanias in the marketplace, but we think ours will have enough unique selling points to make it worth your while.

Funded.

Keep the Metroidvania whining out please, we get like 15 a year if, such a fucking glut we're really just overflowing in them. People market it in Kickstarters because it's a genre people love and want.

Really appreciate your pledge! Each and every one helps us get closer to our goal, so thanks much.

Yes - there are a lot of Metroidvanias in the marketplace, but we think ours will have enough unique selling points to make it worth your while.

I'm not going to lie, seeing those Mario Galaxy-esque planetoid physics sold me right away. Very much looking forward to exploring the game.

Nah, I was being facetious. I'm getting really tired of people over-exaggerating the amount of Metroidvania and pixel art games that get produced and pass on potentially great games getting funded due to normal marketing of name-dropping popular and similar games as well as getting panties in a twist because for years there were very few games of this type and now thanks to crowdfunding we get a larger amount thanks to people putting their money where their mouth is.

ResonatorJeff

Neo Member
Well the funny thing is, when we started to work on Anew, there weren't that many Metroidvanias. Over the past two years or so, the genre became a lot more popular. I hear what you're saying though.

Nah, I was being facetious. I'm getting really tired of people over-exaggerating the amount of Metroidvania and pixel art games that get produced and pass on potentially great games getting funded due to normal marketing of name-dropping popular and similar games as well as getting panties in a twist because for years there were very few games of this type and now thanks to crowdfunding we get a larger amount thanks to people putting their money where their mouth is.

I have mixed feelings about the art style, but man the gameplay looks FUN. Definitely keeping an eye on this, love me some good Metroidvanias.

McHuj

Do you still like Star Wars and girls?

Top Bottom