• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe finally review a souls game

Sometimes I still think if Alex wouldn't better be off with AJ. Angry Joe lost a lot of traction these past few years. I watch him from time to time but I really don't feel like his content is that enjoyable and sometimes he rants just for the sake of ranting. Well, that's the personality he built for himself.

jaysius

Banned
That video is too long and he's too annoying, does he at least complain about the shitty performance on all the systems? He typically hates bad performance.

He gave it a 10/10 despite having massive issues with matchmaking and other things

tommib

People like him right up until he gives their favorite franchise a 4/10 and then constantly bring this exact point up every time someone mentions him.

What did it for you?
I have no idea what he’s scoring these days. I’m not even clicking the video. I just can’t stand the rant tone and constant fake rage. But he’s called angry joe for a reason… Not for me. He’s clickbait as a person.

jaysius

Banned
People like him right up until he gives their favorite franchise a 4/10 and then constantly bring this exact point up every time someone mentions him.

What did it for you?
Outrage tuber used to be the norm, it used to be not only acceptable but applauded. This man is a dinosaur, the level of outrage his character still exhibits is out of style. He needs to revamp, maybe be "not so angry Joe", he does all the clickbaits and stuff like normal tubers but his standard OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS AWFUL reaction to something quite small and dull isn't funny anymore.

Fuz

Banned
I like him, I think he's one of the very few honest reviewers, but man, his humour always sucked.
The cat not giving a shit was funny toh.

(Also not the best gaming taste out here)

Last edited:

Ristifer

Not sure I understand the dislike for AJ. Yes, he makes rant videos, and in reviews of games he doesn't like, he will go on tangents here and there. But the majority of the dialogue in his videos is just in-depth review discourse. Like everyone else.

I get if people don't like him, but people are acting like he's non-stop shouting at everything, which is just not the case. His schtick may be a tad old hat now, but that's not really a big deal when he still has a massive audience.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
triple-h-disgusted.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
Before he did at least put out a scripted and edited reviews.
This new format of just sitting around talking to his friends for an hour sucks.
This format isn't replacing the other one. They usually do this if they don't have enough time do do the classic style or if they originally didn't plan to do a review.

I much prefer the classic style to this one as well.

I watched it and it feels like he was "forced" to like it more than actually liking it just so he doesn't lose some of his fans. Also yeah , the new format sucks. Old Joe would've given this an 8 or 7. He was clearly influenced by Alex who is obsessed with the game.

Skifi28

For those of us still at work and dying to know: On a scale from one to angry Joe, how angry did he get?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The only angry reviewer I still enjoy is the AVGN. AngryJoe is too annoying for me and his jokes aren't that funny. Idk why exactly, but James just does it the best (even though he also had some stinkers).

Last edited by a moderator:

The_hunter

I want to preface this and say I generally like AJ reviews since he's one of the few honest reviewers.

I'm the biggest souls fan, but elden ring is not a 10. Has technical issues, and a less refined game design compare to the rest of the series. It has tons of recycled content, tons of broken content, I would rate it a 8, just because I'm a big souls fan. Conversely I believe Sekiro is a 10 and Demon's Souls remake is a 10, they excel in every department.

Maybe if this is your first time experiencing the series I could see it being elevated to a 10 I guess.

raptorak

Neo Member
I want to preface this and say I generally like AJ reviews since he's one of the few honest reviewers.

I'm the biggest souls fan, but elden ring is not a 10. Has technical issues, and a less refined game design compare to the rest of the series. It has tons of recycled content, tons of broken content, I would rate it a 8, just because I'm a big souls fan. Conversely I believe Sekiro is a 10 and Demon's Souls remake is a 10, they excel in every department.

Maybe if this is your first time experiencing the series I could see it being elevated to a 10 I guess.
Demon's Souls remake is awful and by far the worst soulsborne in my opinion, the very notion that it is better than Elden Ring seems crazy to me.

The game has been out for awhile now. Does his review say anything new or have any unique insight that hasn't been repeated ad nauseam by this point?

The_hunter

Demon's Souls remake is awful and by far the worst soulsborne in my opinion, the very notion that it is better than Elden Ring seems crazy to me.
I liked it, thought it was mechanically tight. Great bosses, great graphics. I like bosses like psyco mantis, so the boss design in demon souls was fantastic from my perspective. World tendency might be seen as a bad mechanic, but I really liked the idea of a game getting harder as you died, and the state of the world changing, the enemies and items also changing because of that. The game is non-linear and can be approached in many different ways. They removed the inventory weight limit, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
he is such a casual... and it's fine except he thinks of himself so highly.
The game is great but in no way it is 10/10.
Not with the bloat, repeats, aoe spam bosses and so few legacy dungeons.
I am still playing it every day and helping people beat the shit duo and malekshit.
"there are few repeated bosses". Dude. There are 10 night riders, 13 erdtree avatars... almost no boss is not repeated.
Imo, bb started turning these games in too fast spamfests. Sekiro at least had a way to engage all the time but here, you wait 25 seconds until boss finishes dancing and they you can attack.

I am bad with words. I love the game. I love trilogy more.
This guy is good with words if someone wants a great analysis

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think his two buddies are pretty funny. I watch his reviews from time to time but mostly just skim through them.

There's something to be said about releasing your review almost 2 months after release though, I give him credit for not being rushed with it.

Dude has built himself an empire of sorts so good for him. What a life, literally just playing videogames and getting paid.

Ristifer

I think he's great. I think his humour is very funny and when he does proper reviews I always enjoy his skits. I also appreciate how indepth he goes in the reviews.

Literally don't get the hate Gaf has for him. Very strange.
It is strange. Especially since AJ just complains about the very things people complain about on this forum. Microtransactions, awful live service models, lazily developed annual sports games, etc. I don't understand it, really.

I see people on this site getting into long-winded fluff all the time, dragging on with page after page of annoying debate over plastic boxes with chips in them. But AJ being angry is over the edge, apparently.

CHEROKEEE

People might not like him, and I usually skip all of the 'bits' in his reviews because it's not that funny to me, but he's honest and goes in-depth. I appreciate that about him.

As much as I enjoy his reviews for entertainment purposes, I quickly learnt to avoid them unless I already beat the featured game since he has that bad habit of spoiling the shit out of it... showing late game locations, cutscenes and at times even Final Boss Battles etc... I know, he has to fill those 40+ min reviews but one could easily talk about basic gameplay, technique or story aspects WITHOUT having to show anything from the last two thirds of a game.. as most other reviewers do and respect. Anytime I go back watching one of his reviews after finishing said game I´m amazed how much late game stuff he spoiled this time again... I wish he would put that stuff into a separate ´Spoiler Section´ like he does with his movie reviews.:messenger_neutral:

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But AJ being angry is over the edge, apparently.
I think the angry reviewer shtick is just outplayed. When you eat the same dish over and over again it eventually becomes stale.

Ristifer

I think the angry reviewer shtick is just outplayed. When you eat the same dish over and over again it eventually becomes stale.
Well, yeah, that's true. But that's why you have different dishes to choose from. Just like you have different tubers to choose from. Then you can come back to it when you want to. It's not like you have your eyes taped open and watching AJ as some form of torture.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Well, yeah, that's true. But that's why you have different dishes to choose from. Just like you have different tubers to choose from. Then you can come back to it when you want to. It's not like you have your eyes taped open and watching AJ as some form of torture.
Back then there were a lot of those angry reviewer personalities. It was almost unavoidable. Nowadays there is more variety.
It wasn't only game reviewers. Also movie and music. Even someone like Todd in the Shadows (music reviewer), someone who I dig, used to be a lot angrier. Kinda happy he ditched that to become more insightful, because when he is angry now it comes off as genuine instead of compulsively funny. When your entire identity is based on being angry though, that's a lot harder to pull off. The AVGN on the other hand still works for me. His scripts are just better written, there is more effort put into the reviews, the delivery and the jokes themselves are better, the videos are also more professionally made etc. etc.
Not to say there aren't AVGN episodes that are stale, but for the most part he holds up remarkingly well, while AngryJoe often comes off as a little pretentious and annoying. I still respect his hustle though.

Last edited by a moderator:
People now do this for his co-host Alex who is said to be overly critical, negative, and wrong on everything, until his opinion aligns with their own.

Portugeezer

It is strange. Especially since AJ just complains about the very things people complain about on this forum. Microtransactions, awful live service models, lazily developed annual sports games, etc. I don't understand it, really.

I see people on this site getting into long-winded fluff all the time, dragging on with page after page of annoying debate over plastic boxes with chips in them. But AJ being angry is over the edge, apparently.
They're probably jealous, because he doesn't pretend to be some educated holy game journo.

Just a dude making videos and streaming games.

His reviews are among the best though.

This guy once made fun of Swedish accent in an old BF video trailer as if all trailer must have ''that'' voice. Rich coming from him who is Mexican himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom