• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves is the Most Preordered game on Playstation

King Dazzar

I think the metric being used here might be flawed. As it would suggest Star Wars Battlefront collection is more popular than Elden Ring, Dogma II, Ronin etc. That said, I hope SoT does incredibly well on PlayStation, as it will only further encourage MS's new multiplatform approach.

midnightAI

XGS saving Playstation

playstation-xbox.gif
Yeh, I know, bait, but I think you have that backwards

Jaybe

Folks really rolling the dice preordering this digitally, not sure what PlayStation’s refund policy is but I understand it’s not as forgiving as Steam or Xbox. I dropped the game after an hour or so when it released. Thankfully I had game pass at the time.

Roberts

All this talk about the game made me want to install it again. It is not for everybody, especially those of you who like very clear directions/objectives in your games but I still think it is one of the last gen’s most unique and important games and it has been amazing to see how it grows and develops over the years.

Jaybe

All this talk about the game made me want to install it again. It is not for everybody, especially those of you who like very clear directions/objectives in your games but I still think it is one of the last gen’s most unique and important games and it has been amazing to see how it grows and develops over the years.
It’s also a terrible game solo, at least that’s what I found.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You do realize it would be the exact opposite if a game doesn't sell well, right?

Forget MS for a min and look at how some 3rd parties have to deal with poor sales...

I get it tho, its easy for some ppl to totally miss the point.
Forgive that I sinned and made a joke at the expense of holy Sony

King Dazzar

Its funny how we go from so many here saying Xbox has no games to finally getting an Xbox game on PS and it shoots to the top of presales charts

hmmm GIF
That's one perspective I guess. For me, the main concern I usually pick up on, is the quality of Xbox's releases, not so much the quantity.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That's one perspective I guess. For me, the main concern I usually pick up on, is the quality of Xbox's releases, not so much the quantity.
SoT is actually a very fun game with friends especially when first learning how to play.

I likely laughed more the first few nights playing this game with friends than about any other game.

Problem with the game for me at least it become old very fast

Roberts

It’s also a terrible game solo, at least that’s what I found.

it really depends on gamer’s taste and preferences. I will not lie: my best memories of playing this game have been together with my friends but I enjoyed doing tall tales among other stuff alone

Havoc2049

Folks really rolling the dice preordering this digitally, not sure what PlayStation’s refund policy is but I understand it’s not as forgiving as Steam or Xbox. I dropped the game after an hour or so when it released. Thankfully I had game pass at the time.
One hour in a heavy time sink MMO like SoT is like playing a single player game for one minute. And since the game is continuously updated, that hour you played back in 2018 may not even be relevant today, as the experience today is totally different. Hell, the whole way you select missions in SoT just got overhauled in early 2024.

Humdinger

Folks really rolling the dice preordering this digitally, not sure what PlayStation’s refund policy is but I understand it’s not as forgiving as Steam or Xbox.

It's pretty tight. If you download the game, you are not eligible for a refund.

Also, if you want to cancel a preorder, be prepared to wait in a long cue online. I recently tried to cancel a preorder, and I had to wait online for over half an hour to get someone to do it. Ridiculous. I'll never preorder something through Sony again.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

They should port Rare Replay after SoT. That will probably be a success story too. In general, I think Xbox games are gonna do good on PS and Switch. They are not as awful as some people here make them out to be.

ManaByte

Now do Rare Replay you cowards
They should port Rare Replay after SoT. That will probably be a success story too. In general, I think Xbox games are gonna do good on PS and Switch. They are not as awful as some people here make them out to be.

That won't work without porting all of the games to PlayStation. The Xbox version uses Xbox BC, which is why there's no PC version.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Wait, so they need to port every game for the collection individually?
Anything older than N64 is emulated in the collection. All of the N64 and 360 games are using BC versions ported to the Xbox and run in the BC wrapper. Again, that's why it never came to PC. So each N64 game and each 360 game would need to be individually ported to the PS.

Mr Hyde

Anything older than N64 is emulated in the collection. All of the N64 and 360 games are using BC versions ported to the Xbox and run in the BC wrapper. Again, that's why it never came to PC. So each N64 game and each 360 game would need to be individually ported to the PS.

Okay, that seems like it would be an awful lot of work to get running on other platforms 😔

Vyse

Gold Member
SoT is actually a very fun game with friends especially when first learning how to play.

I likely laughed more the first few nights playing this game with friends than about any other game.

Problem with the game for me at least it become old very fast
Super fun game that I play in waves. Ha!

Seriously, they have added a lot since it first started. So happy that a lot of people will get to play for the first time.

Getting a strong crew and fighting out to get your treasure cashed in can be epic.

Sushi_Combo

It's pretty tight. If you download the game, you are not eligible for a refund.

Also, if you want to cancel a preorder, be prepared to wait in a long cue online. I recently tried to cancel a preorder, and I had to wait online for over half an hour to get someone to do it. Ridiculous. I'll never preorder something through Sony again.
If you are level 4 in the PS Stars program you have priority queuing. Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a chat rep.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you are level 4 in the PS Stars program you have priority queuing. Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a chat rep.

Customer support is tiered behind PS Stars programs? What the fuck lol.

I've had a couple of bad sessions with their support in the past to try and get a refund and that has made me extra cautious when buying anything digitally on PSN now. I sit on it for a few hours before pressing the button, cause I know the shitshow that will follow in case I need to revoke that decision.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I've had a couple of bad sessions with their support in the past to try and get a refund and that has made me extra cautious when buying anything digitally on PSN now. I sit on it for a few hours before pressing the button, cause I know the shitshow that will follow in case I need to revoke that decision.
Got a refund for Helldivers 2 after playing it. So was happy with the experience.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Sony's customer support is awful overall.

But I prefer that tier system. More loyal/regular customer gets priority treatment. I think it's only fair and a step in the right direction.

There is no love lost for xbox and Microsoft on my part but no doubt i have a soft spot for Rare. Seeing that logo on a PlayStation for the first time in history is going to be bittersweet

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

As a Black Flag fan, I sure hope so. But current Ubi....
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

I only hope they improve the graphics and don't make everything else worse.

Anyway, Sea of Thieves is an amazing game and Ubi already proved that they don't know how to do a fun online multiplayer pirate game. So, on this type of game, Sea of Thieves is king.
I appreciate the Larry David gif.

Lovely, lovely stuff.

Mobilemofo

Only if they remove all the shitty on land bits, even then it's nothing like SoT.
I dunno. Modernise the climbing/running of black flag, polish the fuck out of it, and some customisation, I'm fuckin there. Something about black flag which has been missing from ubi games. Fuckin battles at sea were epic.

Top Bottom