• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves is the Most Preordered game on Playstation

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can’t

The gaming industry is becoming such a fragmented mess

I guess I’ll stick to PS and Nintendo consoles for now, that covers most bases and the only thing being missed out on are day and date Xbox exclusives … but I still have an XSX which should still last a long time
Yeah a lot of people don't want to wait and even then I may not get the games coming to PC I want.

I mean who am I kidding who is going to preorder a PS5 Pro as soon as it goes live?

I Got It Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yeah a lot of people don't want to wait and even then I may not get the games coming to PC I want.

I mean who am I kidding who is going to preorder a PS5 Pro as soon as it goes live?

I Got It Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos's Funniest Home Videos
Not me. I just don’t have faith that developers will utilize the stopgap console well enough to warrant spending another $500 on hardware this generation.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not me. I just don’t have faith that developers will utilize the stopgap console well enough to warrant spending another $500 on hardware this generation.
My main reason for wanting a Pro honestly is how bad Hell Let Loose runs on my PS5 at times, especially with what some of the people behind the scenes have said about the Pro off the record

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My main reason for wanting a Pro honestly is how bad Hell Let Loose runs on my PS5 at times, especially with what some of the people behind the scenes have said about the Pro off the record
Lazy devs or mismanagement of funds to spend time optimizing games. I don’t think that will change when the Pro releases. Just the hope that some devs will release patches for the new hardware to brute force better performance.

I have nearly zero faith in devs ability to optimize games these days.

Lazy devs or mismanagement of funds to spend time optimizing games. I don’t think that will change when the Pro releases. Just the hope that some devs will release patches for the new hardware to brute force better performance.

I have nearly zero faith in devs ability to optimize games these days.

Optimizing for base ps5 means optimizing for Pro

Literally click a button for better performance or resolution. The DLSS tech is probably easy to implement as well

splattered

It's not worth releasing games on Xbox as they don't buy games anyway.

Extra money is extra money. Games haven't been selling amazing on pc but they are still making a big push in that direction. Besides, if they have ps games for sale and not a ps sub service the games will sell. I know you are being a smart ass but I'm still answering anyway :p

There were? Where? Show them.

Nah friend, got better things to do. Anyone who was around during that whole fiasco knows exactly what went down. And I don’t know what is cuter, all the doom predictions and absolute nonsense about Xbox exiting hardware/killing GamePass/all games coming to PS5 or the fact that those people posting in every thread and liking every shit post are now trying to backpedal and act like none of it ever happened. Please, have some dignity.

What the hell, while I am waiting for this Factions lobby to fill up, let me google one thread. I’m going to pull an Al Franken on you and you get to be Ann Coulter. Here we go, first thread, some nonsense about Xbox removing certain things from a blog post, like Xbox hardware. I don’t even have to mention the loads of posts claiming everything I said, I can just say there you yourself are joining the circle jerk, liking all the shit posts, even posting that you think MS is leaving the hardware business, liking every post talking about the Xbox software floodgates opening up.

So please, spare me the victim complex or spin. If you’re into these games, great, buy them. I’m cool with more people playing any good game, especially if those people fund day one GamePass games for me 🥰 If you aren’t into them then don’t.

Not going to say anymore on the matter, don’t need more warnings or a ban for engaging in the same way others routinely do. Not holding my breath 😆

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
SoT is not my cup of grog (clocked 10 hours on PC and find it lacking even after old Sea Dogs series), but it's success is paving the way for MCC and Forza Horizon with proper DualSense support.

And I'm all in for that. Let the SoT send the signal to daddy MS, people are willing to pay for quality games.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nah friend, got better things to do. Anyone who was around during that whole fiasco knows exactly what went down. And I don’t know what is cuter, all the doom predictions and absolute nonsense about Xbox exiting hardware/killing GamePass/all games coming to PS5 or the fact that those people posting in every thread and liking every shit post are now trying to backpedal and act like none of it ever happened. Please, have some dignity.

What the hell, while I am waiting for this Factions lobby to fill up, let me google one thread. I’m going to pull an Al Franken on you and you get to be Ann Coulter. Here we go, first thread, some nonsense about Xbox removing certain things from a blog post, like Xbox hardware. I don’t even have to mention the loads of posts claiming everything I said, I can just say there you yourself are joining the circle jerk, liking all the shit posts, even posting that you think MS is leaving the hardware business, liking every post talking about the Xbox software floodgates opening up.

So please, spare me the victim complex or spin. If you’re into these games, great, buy them. I’m cool with more people playing any good game, especially if those people fund day one GamePass games for me 🥰 If you aren’t into them then don’t.

Not going to say anymore on the matter, don’t need more warnings or a ban for engaging in the same way others routinely do. Not holding my breath 😆
You: "there were so many threads and posts here recently that Xbox was going full third party and killing off day one GamePass games". And yet, you couldn't even show one that did this specifically (I'm mainly talking threads). There were plenty rumor of threads, that I'll give you, but the majority were based on something tangible and not just a pot·luck of "going-out-of-business" discussions.

As to the "circle jerk", that's typical discomfort avoidance. If people were wrong, it shouldn't be hard for you to highlight how. Like I said earlier, most of the conjecture was about Xbox games going multiplatform (Xbox's own insiders called this). Yeah, some were hyperbolic, but most people knew something big was happening (even in the face of those who said it would be a "nothing burger" — a tune I don't see you calling out despite the recent events).

Lastly, I'd ask you what "shit posts" I've liked, but I'm sure that's too much to ask as well. :p

Last edited:

Klayzer

Victim complex is coming from you: "there were so many threads and posts here recently that Xbox was going full third party and killing off day one GamePass games". Yet, you can't even show one and are simply complaining because someone said something that joggled your feathers.

As to the "circle jerk", that's the easiest way for a diehard to dismiss legitimate criticisms because they don't like watching a company they favor being put down. If people were wrong, it shouldn't be hard for you to highlight how. Of course, I'd ask you what "shit posts" I've liked, but I'm sure that's too much to ask as well. 😆
Bee dude whines about everybody that's critical of Microsoft. Perpetually plays the victim.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Nadella will love it.

Spencer and Bond not so much. Guess they wanted to be proved wrong - that the titles wouldn't sell.

Expect floodgates to open soon if this is just to test the water.
What are you smoking? No leader would want something not to sell. The thought is pure insanity.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What are you smoking? No leader would want something not to sell. The thought is pure insanity.
Wasn't what I was trying to infer my friend.

Say there was an internal exec meeting (that we'll never know about) Nadella says to Spencer 'hey Phil I need some returns on that 70 billion asap - how about we put a selection of titles on PS5 and Switch' and Phils like 'yeah, but I'd prefer not to - xbox games for xbox consoles Sat buddy, you know my stance I bleed green' and Nadella is 'fuck that shit Phil, I wanna see the receipts'

So Phil suggests these (how can I put it) 'lesser impact' four titles 'haha these wont fucking sell so I'll be vindicated xbox games on xbox consoles and Nadella will back the fuck down'

And now Sea of Thieves is selling quite well and Phil is like 'fuccccccck' cos Nadella will be like 'That's cool Phil, what's next'

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Wasn't what I was trying to infer my friend.

Say there was an internal exec meeting (that we'll never know about) Nadella says to Spencer 'hey Phil I need some returns on that 70 billion asap - how about we put a selection of titles on PS5 and Switch' and Phils like 'yeah, but I'd prefer not to - xbox games for xbox consoles Sat buddy, you know my stance I bleed green' and Nadella is 'fuck that shit Phil, I wanna see the receipts'

So Phil suggests these (how can I put it) 'lesser impact' four titles 'haha these wont fucking sell so I'll be vindicated xbox games on xbox consoles and Nadella will back the fuck down'

And now Sea of Thieves is selling quite well and Phil is like 'fuccccccck' cos Nadella will be like 'That's cool Phil, what's next'
Sounds frighteningly plausible

Fredrik

And I know you meant it like an "in yo face", but if Xbox games do become decently successful, it'll only speed up the process of Xbox going full 3rd party publishing.
Which in turn means a Hellblade 2 PS5 release will be inevitable, which would be the only Xbox game interesting enough for me to buy.
It’ll be like with Playstation games on PC. Play first on the original console and a year or more later on other platforms. For people who’re okay with waiting it’s great, no need to invest in more hardware. For people who want to be there day 1 it’s super annoying, especially if the length of the delay isn’t known like how Sony does it or if it’s story focused games where the story might be spoiled before you get to play it, but it’s obviously better than never getting the games.

Killjoy-NL

It’ll be like with Playstation games on PC. Play first on the original console and a year or more later on other platforms. For people who’re okay with waiting it’s great, no need to invest in more hardware. For people who want to be there day 1 it’s super annoying, especially if the length of the delay isn’t known like how Sony does it or if it’s story focused games where the story might be spoiled before you get to play it, but it’s obviously better than never getting the games.
Sure, but I don't see anyone denying this.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I agree. The strapline will still be 'Xbox is the best place to play Xbox games' they'll just have to add a 'for now' addendum.

They can also easily say Indiana Jones is Xbox exclusive - because IT IS... for now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I agree. The strapline will still be 'Xbox is the best place to play Xbox games' they'll just have to add a 'for now' addendum.

They can also easily say Indiana Jones is Xbox exclusive - because IT IS... for now.
Yeah it’s the new exclusives apparently, delays to try tricking people to invest.
It sucks tbh. I refuse to play along with that nonsense, I’m on PC now. Essentially only have XSX and PS5 for backwards compatibility, that’s the only thing I can’t do better on PC, yet.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Some have speculated that Phil Spencer is going along with this against his will.

Shrugs GIF
I don't remotely believe this as I have stated before I heard him say his eventual goals, directly out of his mouth in a friends only non PR type of environment

People don't understand how smart he is and even the slightest hint of Phil might have been over ruled kind of keeps him on a pedestal with the true Xbox zealots, if that makes sense

Topher

Gold Member
I don't remotely believe this as I have stated before I heard him say his eventual goals, directly out of his mouth in a friends only non PR type of environment

People don't understand how smart he is and even the slightest hint of Phil might have been over ruled kind of keeps him on a pedestal with the true Xbox zealots, if that makes sense

My post was more mocking that point of view than anything else. I don't buy it for a second. That's a "cool story bro" narrative and not much else.

They obviously picked different kinds of games to see how they perform.

Sea of Thieves is your AAA GaaS
Grounded is your budget GaaS
Hi-Fi Rush is your AA to AAA SP game.
Pentiment is your budget SP game.

Spencer and Bond might actually be happy to see the current sales. It could reinforce that GaaS games make the most sense to port over with the SP games not so much. Who knows?

Topher

Gold Member
They obviously picked different kinds of games to see how they perform.

Sea of Thieves is your AAA GaaS
Grounded is your budget GaaS
Hi-Fi Rush is your AA to AAA SP game.
Pentiment is your budget SP game.

Spencer and Bond might actually be happy to see the current sales. It could reinforce that GaaS games make the most sense to port over with the SP games not so much. Who knows?

Personally I think they choose those games because they are not going to shock the Xbox fanbase like Starfield, Halo, etc. This is very much a "let them get used to the idea" phase. I think Starfield will be "rip the bandaid off" phase and it will be clear to everyone where this is going. I don't think the sales performance of the SP games slated for PS are a litmus test going forward. Those are fairly niche games, especially Pentiment.

Personally I think they choose those games because they are not going to shock the Xbox fanbase like Starfield, Halo, etc. This is very much a "let them get used to the idea" phase. I think Starfield will be "rip the bandaid off" phase and it will be clear to everyone where this is going. I don't think the sales performance of the SP games slated for PS are a litmus test going forward. Those are fairly niche games, especially Pentiment.
Oh, I think it'll all come eventually, and that this is a slow burn. But I also think it is a bit of a litmus test to see how fans react and how sales respond.

Beechos

This is all apart of the plan for ms. Going to try to sabotage sony from within. The games will all trigger software to brick the ps5 usb c port rendering the psvr2 useless unless they pay 100 billion Iranian rial.

Some have speculated that Phil Spencer is going along with this against his will.

Shrugs GIF

No chance. He’s all for it. The man hasn’t shut up about where and how you can play for years .

They have done a bad job and this is the end goal and it’s a shame.

For all their money they can’t put a team in there to meet even a quarter of that brand’s potential especially as a console and the zealots have cheered them along the way. Disgraceful.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

kjxilTI.png
. Mlb on fire
Smart move by people not buying the SoT Deluxe Edition as much. The cosmetics that come with that version are on the blah side. The Premium Edition has some nice cosmetics/extras and some major bang for the buck.

It will be interesting to see how well SoT sells at launch on the PS5. SoT sold 2 million copies at the XB/Windows launch and 1 million copies at the Steam launch.

TVexperto

I can tell you that they didn’t need to go as hard as they did on the music but they did anyway and the game is far better for it. The attention to detail with the shanties is one part specifically. Like each instrument could of had just one part to play and that was it but each instrument has different parts depending on if you started the shanty or not. I like to start a tune and play through the melody on my instrument and then when the melody comes back around I’ll stop and start real quick so someone else I’m playing with starts playing the melody. It’s a small detail but far from insignificant. Also the sea fort music is pure fire.

Top Bottom