• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Amiibo cards launch 2nd Oct -100 to collect, sold in blind packs of 3

Hagi

Good luck Amiibo collectors, Pokemon cards were the bane of my existence when I was younger, lol

Least they weren't in packs of three and had useable function in a game :p

I really wish we had something similar to those trading card machines that are big in Japan would make collecting TCG worth a lot more.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Thought we knew this info already tbh.

Unless people thought they'd deviate from Japan.

ChrisD

Lol, this will be the amiibo gimmick that falls flat. Honestly can't imagine anyone having the patience to really collect all 100 of them. Hope all the scalpers buy them and then realize nobody else is buying them.

Remember Kid Icarus AR cards?

Those sold in Europe and Japan, and the collecting aspect was even more hopeless than amiibo. I fully expect these cards to sell.

JoeM86

Good luck Amiibo collectors, Pokemon cards were the bane of my existence when I was younger, lol

Edit: It seems like $3 per 3 cards will be the case, not bad for those who don't care for specifics, but the blind packs still suck for those who are collectors

I dread the day Pokémon amiibo cards come. We all know it'll happen for one of the spin-offs (though I'm hoping Pokkén comes to Wii U or NXConsole and comes with an amiibo figure set of all the playable Pokémon. I'd buy the hell out of that). I will have to get them all.

Hagi

Actually, the "special" are actually the commons...

There's 17 special and 83 normal cards in the first series, so you'll get a full set of special far before having all the "normal" ones...

Surely that depends on if they are using a rarity ratio or not? I can imagine them doing like a special Suzie or something that is like 1 in 100 lol

Wait. Are they really 6 per pack in the U.S.? Do we have any confirmation on that? That's much more manageable.

As long as there's enough packs floating around for me to be able to get a complete set on my own I don't care how much I have to spend.

AdanVC

Phew, good thing I don't have interest on this amiibo cards, otherwise I would be already suffering on planning how to collect them all if they are gonna be in blind packs!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What are these cards for? Do you need them to play the game?

I think each the game concept is that you scan in a villager card, and then design a home that suits their taste. The more cards you have, the more homes you get to design.

JoeM86

I think each the game concept is that you scan in a villager card, and then design a home that suits their taste. The more cards you have, the more homes you get to design.

Not quite. These cards guarantee you get those characters to do homes for. You get to do many of them as standard, but random like the main game. It's just the cards guarantee it, and they also allow you to place them into scenes for photos etc.

They also unlock mini-games in Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

You don't need to collect all 100 btw...

Indeed. There is at least one more set coming (Series 2 comes out September 30th in Japan), likely with the same amount of cards.

This reminds me of the (not nearly as valuable or collected) eReader Animal Crossing cards that came out so long ago. I still have a ton of them!

ohlawd

IIRC it comes with a card. As in one.

I can't

dunno now. I have a preorder which makes the price come out to US parity. I know for sure I'd buy some packs to make up for the one card. it's gonna look like I won't be able to save money after all >_>

kubus

Three cards is kinda odd and especially the fact that there's a guaranteed "special" card in each pack makes it really hard to collect all the normal cards.

Wonder what the euro price will be. I fear it's gonna be like €5 for one pack while it should be €3 following the Japanese price.

100 cards will launch alongside the game, each sold in blind packs of three.
laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

Koren

If you were amazingly lucky enough to get a unique card in each pack, that'd be $102 for the set.
If you're lucky, you'll need at least 42 packs, since it's 1 out of 17 and 2 out of 83.

If it's pure luck, it's a bit more than 200 packs on average to complete the set, assuming that all couple of cards in each pack as the same probability. It's even worse if the probability differ for the cards.

Trading is a must to get the complete set.

M3d10n

Final stage before unleashing NFC Pokemon TCG.

Also, I'm shocked almost nobody considered that you can trade these cards. They are not DLC. Bunch of shut ins.

Vena

At 300‎¥ in Japan, that's ~3$ USD. Are the America's going to see 6 per 3$ or 6 per 6$?

These cards are thick and big, but I don't know why they are making them 3-packs. I'd have done a 5-pack at least for this price.

The cards just let you use a specific house-needing guest whenever you want, otherwise they are random. You don't actually need them for any part of the game as far as we're aware.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nintendo recognising their future isn't in expanding their userbase anymore, but flaying the skin of their diehard loyalists.

Really get that flesh peeling.

El-Suave

This is the same as the power discs of Disney Infinity (blind packs of two). They'll probably do retailer exclusives, too - but then at least you know which rare card you'll be getting. Ebay really is your best bet if you want a full collection. After the initial frenzy has cooled off prizes should be reasonable unless Nintendo is really evil and does more than two rarity levels.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My brain is groggy so it's way too early for me to work out the probability on this, so I did a Monte Carlo simulation to figure out how much it would cost to complete the set provided there are no duplicates in a pack:

V91CtsF.png

Across my simulation, the mean number of packs you would need to buy to complete the set is 171; the minimum number of packs you would need to buy is 85, and the maximum 509. I'm guessing packs will be $3-5 a pack, so I'm sure you can all do multiplication.

Nintendo does DLC right.

How much do you think it would cost if they did allow duplicates in a pack? OMG LOL

NeonZ

Do they really think Animal Crossing is that big? This just seems overall weird.

They're just cards, rather than figures, and due to the large number of them it's very unlikely they'll see support outside of the one game made for them. And it's just a spin off too, rather than a main game...

Yeah, I'm not buying any of these. Then again I'm not gonna buy home designer either.

I'll stick with the Smash amiibo for now.

SerTapTap

Across my simulation, the mean number of packs you would need to buy to complete the set is 171;

Jesus christ even at $3 that's more than a home console. Just let me buy a set of all 100 for $30 or something, I won't be buying this crazy crap

Is happy home a free download? Or do you have to buy the game also?

Best buy still has it at $40, though I'd be surprised it it weren't at most $35, it being more expensive than ACNL would be silly IMO.

Amory

what even are these things? they're not actual amiibos in the same way the figurines are, are they?

megalowho

Reminds me of the EA Ultimate Team virtual card games and their slot lever packs, but with even less value for your dollar and possibly less functionality as well. Do people actually want a feature like this in an Animal Crossing game or does it just appeal to that collectible, gotta catch em all mentality that Nintendo taps into so well?

Robin64

Do they really think Animal Crossing is that big? This just seems overall weird.

They're just cards, rather than figures, and due to the large number of them it's very unlikely they'll see support outside of the one game made for them. And it's just a spin off too, rather than a main game...

They work with two games already, Happy Home Designer and the Wii U amiibo party thing. Note they are branded as "Animal Crossing" with no subtitle, so they may also work with the next real AC.

woopWOOP

Three a pack, huh? Hope they aren't too expensive.

If I buy one pack and the Digby amiibo (which I'm probably gonna get anyway), I'll have enough ...stuff for that four player AC boardgame thing! BOOYA

El-Suave

This kind of explains why they're bundling the NFC reader for free with the game (in Germany). A good dealer can afford to supply a free crack pipe I guess.

SerTapTap

Would you really want all of them? I'd trade away the sheep for example.

I don't see any particular reason to even buy these if you're not after either specific cards or a complete set.

Though watch how buying an Isabelle card for $50 on ebay probably ends up cheaper than buying random packs

If you don't intend to collect them all this seems pretty cool. Buy 3-4 packs and trade with friends or on the internet for ones you want. Maybe buy another one every now and then.

For collectors: Good luck I guess

Top Bottom