• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Amiibo cards launch 2nd Oct -100 to collect, sold in blind packs of 3

RK128

That is a bit of a rip off, as if you are pulling the Pokemon Card park comparison, those have 5-7 cards while this will only have 3 cards per pack. The retail price of Pokemon Card Packs should be 5-7 bucks (I think so....), so the Amiibo cards being 4-5 dollars more is a bit pricey honestly :(.

I get they have functionality in the 3DS Animal Crossing game but still; its not like you can scan the things in Mario Maker and have a costume of a character to play with or scanning the thing in Smash and have a trainable character to use; its just for this game.

I guess if this doesn't take off (it will), Nintendo will re-consider pricing or at least start including 1-2 extra cards in each pack to make things more fair.

oti

Banned
Make an amiibo TCG (f2p) on 3DS/Wii U/NX(/Browser?) and then I'd be interested. But this AC thing seems rather limited for people who don't collect stuff and don't have favourite AC characters. I'm good, thanks.

Vena

That is a bit of a rip off, as if you are pulling the Pokemon Card park comparison, those have 5-7 cards while this will only have 3 cards per pack. The retail price of Pokemon Card Packs should be 5-7 bucks (I think so....), so the Amiibo cards being 4-5 dollars more is a bit pricey honestly :(.

More? The cards cost 3/300¥. Its same exact pricing.

prateeko

This is amazing. Here we (myself included) have been bitching about DLC and slowly Nintendo has made physical DLC one of their most sought after commodities. God help us all if they really do end up being more than $0.5-$1/card (in a three pack at least).

...I feel dirty.

Ibuki

Banned

Are you talking about the regular Pokemon TCG? Pretty sure there are 10 cards per pack now, and in NA they retail for $3.99. They also don't have a chip inside them, so it makes sense the AC ones would cost a lot more.

QaaQer

Basically continuing my former answer to Untalkative_Bunny

...Yeah, this too.
Even if, honestly, I would've preferred the US solution: blind packs with 6 cards, not just 3. 3 seems indeed not so much.

I just mean that opening random packs gives the same rush to some people as a scratch lotto card. They are both gambling, and it seems to run contra to Iwata's comments. [for a discussion see this]

@vena: why do they have to be blind random packs?

fake edit: and I hate having any gambling type products pushed towards kids. It's a bit of a button issue of mine.

RK128

This is amazing. Here we (myself included) have been bitching about DLC and slowly Nintendo has made physical DLC one of their most sought after commodities. God help us all if they really do end up being more than $0.5-$1/card (in a three pack at least).

...I feel dirty.

Its sad isn't it :'(. With the Amiibo figures, as least there is some value to them across numerous games (the Pokemon figures do nothing outside of Smash but the FE figures have lots of great use across Smash, Yoshi, Mario Maker, Code Named Steam and FE: Fates). Granted, in the case of the FE figures, it feels more like physically locked-DLC but still, it gives more value to the figures, right or wrong ethics aside.

With the Amiibo cards, we have no idea how they are going to be used in the future outside of the Amiibo AC games; so we could be buying them for the 3DS game and just only use them in that game for example.

Nintendo needs to handle the Amiibo situation better but their is value in them. Nintendo just has to give them higher stocking in stores or make them cheaper to compensate buyers for the lack of availability.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
help

I just want my main man Bob. What a cool cat.

imjust1n

Banned
These won't be like amiibos most people don't care much about card games except mtg maybe. The figures sold alot because of smash and that's it. If it's over 4 for a pack I'll pass on that if I can get 3 for 10 then I'm good.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If I don't get a Bangle things are going to get real hairy.

Nintendo: Just give me an HD version where I can use these cards to populate my town with MY choice of character.

prateeko

Its sad isn't it :'(. With the Amiibo figures, as least there is some value to them across numerous games (the Pokemon figures do nothing outside of Smash but the FE figures have lots of great use across Smash, Yoshi, Mario Maker, Code Named Steam and FE: Fates). Granted, in the case of the FE figures, it feels more like physically locked-DLC but still, it gives more value to the figures, right or wrong ethics aside.

With the Amiibo cards, we have no idea how they are going to be used in the future outside of the Amiibo AC games; so we could be buying them for the 3DS game and just only use them in that game for example.

Nintendo needs to handle the Amiibo situation better but their is value in them. Nintendo just has to give them higher stocking in stores or make them cheaper to compensate buyers for the lack of availability.

At least I can get Amiibo for 20% off everyday at Best Buy and lots of stores often have sales so you can get them for ~3/$33 and you know exactly what you're getting. It's physical DLC but it can be a toy/collectible and works across multiple games which softens the blow a fair amount.

Hopefully with these AC cards they make them reasonably priced in all territories since there's a lot of chance and it is unclear how many games they will be used for.

Overall, I am a huge sucker for Amiibo but still ashamed how much I'm supporting what is physical DLC despite how much I overall don't like DLC (given how it's handled by most companies where it feels like games are rushed out early/incomplete knowing they can sell us DLC and patch things up later).

EDIT: Question: how much more expensive would it be to make the packets NFC shielding? Didn't people scan the Pokemon (Rumble) NFCs without opening them for the Wii U game? Wouldn't be too hard to make an app to scan these for phones with NFC would it?

Vena

@vena: why do they have to be blind random packs?

fake edit: and I hate having any gambling type products pushed towards kids. It's a bit of a button issue of mine.

I was an MTG hooked kid at one point, so I know how nefarious the whole thing is but, like it or not, everyone in the market is going towards it with various RNG-loot crate mechanics or card games. Nintendo, while in general good with their DLC in my opinion, are not some patron saint of gaming. (Heck, at least you get a physical card to trade here. I can't trade away a Black Lion Key or any of the various loot-crate items in many other games all of which cost real money for intangible pixels.)

The only reason I don't see it as a problem here, is that it really doesn't do anything to work against the usual mechanics of Animal Crossing. Its always been an RNG content filled game, and this is no different. That's where, usually, the issue with DLC arises in that it is added in a way that damages the mechanics of the underlying game (see: Dead Space 3, MP10, and many other examples). I haven't found Amiibo, aside from the aforementioned MP10, to compromise a game's actual functionality to sell you toys/DLC/cards. (STEAM might be arguable as well, but no one played it. :p)

Supplementary DLC is not a bad thing. Game compromising DLC is a bad thing.

Koren

My brain is groggy so it's way too early for me to work out the probability on this, so I did a Monte Carlo simulation to figure out how much it would cost to complete the set provided there are no duplicates in a pack:

V91CtsF.png
Did the same earlier, and curiously, I don't have exactly the same curve.

YabwWIN.png

(don't pay attention to vertical scale, it's meaningless... Horizontal is number of packs for complete collection)

I'm curious about the difference... Did you took into account the fact that there's a special and two animals in each set? It slightly increase the number of needed packs, because there's less than 1/3 of specials (17/100 exactly)

Lowest: 85 packs
Highest: 511 packs
Mean: 206 packs

Draxal

Well that greatly increases the price for one... and means you can scalp and poach certain pack sets. These are supposed to be impulse buy cheap... as with any TCG sales management.

Its an addictive design where the jump in is cheap and you get that addictive thrill of getting something rare.

TCG management also has a substantial buy in for the initial deck that is higher than an average pack, and rewards people for buying a box of packs instead of one pack at a time with guaranteed amount of rare cards and promotional box toppers, and that's not including the LCG model which is popular in the states states right now which removes all randomness and is the model I"m basing mine off of.

Vena

TCG management also has a substantial buy in for the initial deck that is higher than an average pack, and rewards people for buying a box of packs instead of one pack at a time with guaranteed amount of rare cards and promotional box toppers.

The buy in pack (starter or pre-made deck, let's say) is the game. :p

Hugstable

Banned
That(STEAM might be arguable as well, but no one played it. :p)

Ehh i wouldn't really say so, they are more there for a "hey cool i can use a Fire Emblem character" but when it came down to it they are easily some pf the worst characters with barely any utility. The game is hard enough on it's own, it's not worth wasting a slot on a Fire Emblem character that doesn't really do much. Might be fun for people looking for a serious challenge, but they definitely don't make the game easier

As somebody who collects trading cards of different varieties already and absolutely loves AC, this is all very terrifying. Also I really hope they do boxes here in the US, something in the ~$75 range maybe.

Need that Vesta rookie card

Sol1dus

Nintendo went from card games to video games back to card games. Amazing business decision but no way in hell I'm investing my money in this...especially with how shitty Nintendo is with artificial supply-shortages and how ridiculous scalpers are.

Dryk

Everyone that says NoA never does anything for you, at least you get the correct common:rare ratio in your Amiibo card packs :p

Now that this is finally releasing, think we can expect the other Amiibo to release in card form? Nintendo did state a while back that by the end of the year they would begin releasing them in card form to combat the supply issues with the figures.

Now that this is finally releasing, think we can expect the other Amiibo to release in card form? Nintendo did state a while back that by the end of the year they would begin releasing them in card form to combat the supply issues with the figures.

I think so but I think they're overlook one very important fact; people want physical toys, not cards.

While I certainly think the amiibo cards for AC will be a big hit (and I'm definitely collecting them), I think a lot of people who collect the amiibos do so because they're cool figures. It's part of the reason Skylanders was so popular. The characters are neat, the actual toys are neat, and they do something in the game.

Cards are good, but I hope they don't adopt a policy to make "rare" amiibos into cards so that people can play as them. That's not the point, and it's not the reason why those figures sell out.

I think so but I think they're overlook one very important fact; people want physical toys, not cards.

While I certainly think the amiibo cards for AC will be a big hit (and I'm definitely collecting them), I think a lot of people who collect the amiibos do so because they're cool figures. It's part of the reason Skylanders was so popular. The characters are neat, the actual toys are neat, and they do something in the game.

Cards are good, but I hope they don't adopt a policy to make "rare" amiibos into cards so that people can play as them. That's not the point, and it's not the reason why those figures sell out.

In theory what you're saying sounds good, but unfortunately the way Amiibos have come to be used has created a need for the rare ones to be made into cards. I'm not particularly interested in connecting any of them purely for their purpose as figurines; the ones that I want are for their in-game function.

For example, in addition to Smash Brothers, the Fire Emblem Amiibos are used make their respective characters playable in two other games and will likely be used in the upcoming #FE Wii U game as well. Having the Amiibo is the only way to make those characters playable, so they're essentially locked behind a rare physical DLC paywall. Since I just want to get the functionality, it doesn't matter to me if it's in the form of a card, figurine, or paid DLC.

If we're going to have to continue dealing with Amiibo as a way to unlock content, I'd much prefer if that content were also available as paid DLC. That would make having the Amiibo a nice perk, but not essential for enjoying all of the content in a game. That would still encourage sales of the figures/cards too. If given the choice between paying for DLC unlocked by the same Amiibo in multiple games or buying the Amiibo that unlocks it all, I would get the Amiibo.

Harusame

I've been purchasing Pokemon booster boxes within the last year, so I guess I have to keep up this with this habit by buying the AC Amiibo card booster box if it does release

Huge Animal Crossing fan here and I'm saying no thanks on this. It'd be one thing if the cards were going to be usable for a real Animal Crossing title anytime soon, but I don't think this decorator/board game stuff warrants accessory purchases.

I have a million AC E-reader cards. Don't need anything more.

Huge Animal Crossing fan here and I'm saying no thanks on this. It'd be one thing if the cards were going to be usable for a real Animal Crossing title anytime soon, but I don't think this decorator/board game stuff warrants accessory purchases.

I have a million AC E-reader cards. Don't need anything more.

Yeah, I don't like that there is no confirmed "real" AC title coming out in the near future to use these with. Hundreds of hours on the franchise, but I'm passing for now.

Toxi

Banned
Holy shit where are you buying your Pokemon cards?

Pokemon packs are four bucks for ten cards.

Dryk

At the same time there are lots of people (myself included) who only want a few figurines on their shelf but would like to have cards of more Amiibos to use in games.

JMizzlin

Over 100? Damn it. I decided I want to collect them all. Hopefully we get them in at work so I can make use of my discount.

Looking forward to doing old fashioned trades, though! Been a while since I collected a card game.

Flintty

These things look dangerous. The temptation is there to buy one pack. Just one. But I know where that path leads. I'm staying clear.

Top Bottom