• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons |OT| Self-isolating on a deserted island

Jooxed

Gold Member
Guys cancel animal crossing, stop playing

HcpBq2y.jpg

Thurible

I really wanted a red Torii gate not the stone but it ended up working ok.
I like my hot spring bath area best

I wonder if this game has any red torii gates?
Unfortunately I don't see much on the topic online besides a deleted post on reddit asking about if there is a DIY recipe for torii gates. Hopefully it is there somewhere, if not maybe they can patch it in later for a future event that relates to Japan.

Anyway, I just wanna say your island seems goorgeous from the pictures I see.

Unfortunately I don't see much on the topic online besides a deleted post on reddit asking about if there is a DIY recipe for torii gates. Hopefully it is there somewhere, if not maybe they can patch it in later for a future event that relates to Japan.

Anyway, I just wanna say your island seems goorgeous from the pictures I see.

I was worried Torri would fall under Shinto as a religion and they are trying to avoid religion? not sure but Torri is very Japanese and having Shrines are kinda cool

hope to run into them sooner or later

Thurible

I was worried Torri would fall under Shinto as a religion and they are trying to avoid religion? not sure but Torri is very Japanese and having Shrines are kinda cool

hope to run into them sooner or later
Nintendo does like to avoid references to religion (ex. Islamic crescent and chanting removed in Ocarina of Time, and New Horizon's "bunny day"), but it seems like many Japanese companies (at least from my perspective) are relatively comfortable putting references to Japanese folklore, buddhism, and shintoism in their products. Skyward Sword had the Cistern temple which had many many references to buddhism with the main structure of the temple being a statue of a buddha like figure that you climb, the bottom of the temple being hell and referencing a story of a man attempting to escape hell by climbing the thread of spider silk (link has to escape the bottom in a similar way), and the noble eightfold path. Animal crossing itself also has references to Yokkai like mischevious tanukis such as Tom Nook and how leaves transform into items. We also have Kapp'n which is a yokai called a Kappa. I do not think they would be against putting such an item in the game for such reasons (though I could be wrong and hope they put it in).

Nintendo does like to avoid references to religion (ex. Islamic crescent and chanting removed in Ocarina of Time, and New Horizon's "bunny day"), but it seems like many Japanese companies (at least from my perspective) are relatively comfortable putting references to Japanese folklore, buddhism, and shintoism in their products. Skyward Sword had the Cistern temple which had many many references to buddhism with the main structure of the temple being a statue of a buddha like figure that you climb, the bottom of the temple being hell and referencing a story of a man attempting to escape hell by climbing the thread of spider silk (link has to escape the bottom in a similar way), and the noble eightfold path. Animal crossing itself also has references to Yokkai like mischevious tanukis such as Tom Nook and how leaves transform into items. We also have Kapp'n which is a yokai called a Kappa. I do not think they would be against putting such an item in the game for such reasons (though I could be wrong and hope they put it in).

yeah the deep folklore is still heavy in this game I have a Kappa hat already

I'm running around like Black Jesus with a gold halo on my head so no matter what they are trying to avoid they put enough in this game to cross any vague lines of references.

Giving me the Zen wall pushed me towards creating a Japanese theme island so I really wanted a red torii

Mista

Banned
I never thought I’d really put this down but this eggs shitfest is making me not enjoy the game. I know we’re at the beginning of April but I want to get done with this months creatures

-Arcadia-

Banned
My one problem with this game is that the house storage space is way, way too tight.

I like having a decent selection of clothes (and I’m still not too bad with buying too many) to make outfits with, and it feels like I‘m being punished for that. I don’t even have that much else in storage.

What’s happening every time, is me realizing I’ve ran out of space, not having any place to put things, and having to emergency grind for longer than I actually want to play, to pay off the rest of my house to get more.

Which sucks and burns me out. I want to play at my own pace, and enjoy myself, a perfect game for this otherwise, but this limit keeps coming back and being absolutely fucking obnoxious. It needs an increase by a hundred or two, so you have comfortable room, but doesn’t become a hoarder’s paradise.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Anyway, I don’t know if this is universal, but the 🌸 flying everywhere through the air today, and even being washed down the river, were absolutely beautiful.

It feels like Animal Crossing really ‘made it’ with this. Although the series has always been beautiful in its own way, this is the first time it’s looked so modern and gorgeous.

Mista

Banned
Anyway, I don’t know if this is universal, but the 🌸 flying everywhere through the air today, and even being washed down the river, were absolutely beautiful.

It feels like Animal Crossing really ‘made it’ with this. Although the series has always been beautiful in its own way, this is the first time it’s looked so modern and gorgeous.
YES! Its so damn beautiful

When I booted up the game earlier today I saw and fell in love

Vawn

Banned
I never thought I’d really put this down but this eggs shitfest is making me not enjoy the game. I know we’re at the beginning of April but I want to get done with this months creatures

You did get the latest update, right? I have found eggs much less annoying since that.

bender

What time is it?
Think I have all the fish and bugs that appeared in April. Wished upon 200 stars last night (lol) and now my beach is rotten with star fragments. I know there is some stuff I could do to progress but I'm trying to pay last loan off (1.6 Million Bells in the bank). I'm in a comfortable 30-45 minute per day groove and bank around 50-100K bells per day.

Thanks to a couple of people helping me out i now have (i think) a full set of cardboard box variants, so happy to finally have all the fruit boxes :)
ECQc0lN.jpg

Amazing!

that is the collection of boxes I wanted out there can you order some for me now that you have them all? I knew my island only had one kind

if you are trying for the Nook Shopping 200/200 Shop to it nook miles

edit" unless I missed it you can't even order these!

edit again Yes you can they are 120 bells and press side to side the change variations

0rTtyRe.jpg

ZG2BoZE.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Paid off all loans today. I am debt free.

I am still missing a bunch of the cherry blossom recipes unfortunately :(

Turnip prices are 140 tonight.

Collete

Paid off all loans today. I am debt free.

I am still missing a bunch of the cherry blossom recipes unfortunately :(

Turnip prices are 140 tonight.
I have MOST of the recipes but missing like 2 or 3, if you need any help crafting, just give me a holler and I'll be happy to do so :D

(But you have to supply the mats, cause I'm hording my petals lol)

Gorki247

Can anyone help me out with some fruit supplies? Still looking for Pears. I'm also interested in getting the various boxes (ironically only have the Pear one).

Also have some extra recipes if anyone is interested.
- Cherry blossom: petal pile, trees wall.
- Bunny Day: wall clock, merry balloons, festive balloons, lamp

Collete

Can anyone help me out with some fruit supplies? Still looking for Pears. I'm also interested in getting the various boxes (ironically only have the Pear one).

Don't have boxes, but I do have pears in my island. Let me finish prepping dinner and I'll PM you dodo code

Impotaku

Amazing!

that is the collection of boxes I wanted out there can you order some for me now that you have them all? I knew my island only had one kind

if you are trying for the Nook Shopping 200/200 Shop to it nook miles

edit" unless I missed it you can't even order these!

edit again Yes you can they are 120 bells and press side to side the change variations

0rTtyRe.jpg

ZG2BoZE.jpg

My town has about 40 bell trees sat everywhere all with 10000 bell bags on, i need to go harvest them all before i let anyone in my town to catalogue anything but i'm happy to share the fruit boxes all people have to do is pick them up then drop them again and that will be enough to allow to order them on your own.

Just learnt the recipe for pitfalls today too, my town is gonna be amusing now hehe. If you manage to dig one up without falling in then you are able to learn it.

My friend code details are here just send me a request and at the weekend ill help sort out cataloging and helping fill out missing fruits if needed.
3135-1993-9312 -
Town name: Aloha
Player name: Jason

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I can bring you some in exchange for those cherry blossom recipes. What's your dodo code?

I have MOST of the recipes but missing like 2 or 3, if you need any help crafting, just give me a holler and I'll be happy to do so :D

(But you have to supply the mats, cause I'm hording my petals lol)

Will do. I too am hoarding those petals. The blossom items are my fav so far.

My town has about 40 bell trees sat everywhere all with 10000 bell bags on, i need to go harvest them all before i let anyone in my town to catalogue anything but i'm happy to share the fruit boxes all people have to do is pick them up then drop them again and that will be enough to allow to order them on your own.

Just learnt the recipe for pitfalls today too, my town is gonna be amusing now hehe. If you manage to dig one up without falling in then you are able to learn it.

My friend code details are here just send me a request and at the weekend ill help sort out cataloging and helping fill out missing fruits if needed.
3135-1993-9312 -
Town name: Aloha
Player name: Jason

I'll like to register the boxes if I can

Impotaku

Wonder if the balloon occurances are feng shui related as its supposedly back in this version so i'm wondering if certain furniture combos can help rare stuff spawn?

The sooner those awesome japanese perfect guidebooks drop the better as they cover literally everything in the game.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Finally got the last of the cherry blossom recipes. That was a slog. Only really wanted the lantern and Blossom pile recipes but as luck would have it they came among the last and by that time I was hooked on getting the full set.

From experience running back and forth up and down the West (am to 7pm) and east (7pm onwards) coasts of my island and having popped and ungodly amount of balloons I can say the following

Any balloon colour may contain a piece of furniture or a recipe, but they're more common in some colours

Green: Never had one give anything but furniture or a recipe. Leans more toward recipe.
Red: Furniture or recipe. Leans more toward furniture.
Blue: Most often resources. Never had one contain money. Occasionally contain recipes or furniture.
Yellow. Most typically contain money. Never had one contain resources. Occasionally contain recipes or furniture.

Never had a repeat of a blossom recipe while trying to collect them, but have had repeats of other recipes (e.g. Bamboo recipes which are common at the moment).

Will have to see if I get any more blosson recipes going forward or if the game will stop providing them now that I have the set.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
it really does not matter what recipes you have before or a full set these things keep coming as long as it is the season for it

I almost want to start over, my island is filled with grumpy islanders who hate me and lazy ones who are just chilling out all the time.

I almost want to start over, my island is filled with grumpy islanders who hate me and lazy ones who are just chilling out all the time.

I don't mind grumpy or lazy ones I just don't like the monkeys or the ugly ones

and an ugly monkey snuck onto my island and I need her gone she creepy looking
I don't like monkeys

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't mind grumpy or lazy ones I just don't like the monkeys or the ugly ones

and an ugly monkey snuck onto my island and I need her gone she creepy looking
I don't like monkeys

Which one was it? The island tried to get me to recruit Elise and I was not about it.

Collete

went looking for Judy but could not resist another doggy

69qHh4t.jpg

NsaxNLv.jpg
Biskit is a good boi, you won't regret it

I need a list that tells me what these two things I am missing are

bYZj1va.jpg

this kinda works

rMNSuTn.jpg

the lights

About this, apparently I have the both you're looking for.

One is Ammonite, the other it seems to be a decorative piece that I think is added later

Last edited:
Biskit is a good boi, you won't regret it

About this, apparently I have the both you're looking for.

One is Ammonite, the other it seems to be a decorative piece that I think is added later

I guess these Ammonites don't have a time of year the spawn more so I just have to keep collecting dozens per day to get that last one

wish my bugs and fish would move along though

Which one was it? The island tried to get me to recruit Elise and I was not about it.

Shari, I did not recruit I just ran out of tickets to visit the islands while I had an open spot. I spend a few days on designing my island and wait for more nook miles to visit the islands to recruit someone I want and she snuck in.

Animals I want out

Snooty
Elvis
Shari

and maybe Tutu, not a fan of Tutu but she gives lots of gifts bribes but she kinda Meh.
Does a lot of Yoga which is cute.

ugly ones sure sing a lot

Jooxed

Gold Member
Shari, I did not recruit I just ran out of tickets to visit the islands while I had an open spot. I spend a few days on designing my island and wait for more nook miles to visit the islands to recruit someone I want and she snuck in.

Animals I want out

Snooty
Elvis
Shari

and maybe Tutu, not a fan of Tutu but she gives lots of gifts bribes but she kinda Meh.
Does a lot of Yoga which is cute.

ugly ones sure sing a lot

Ew Shari is a monster.

Giantbomb Jeff hates this Animal Crossing, sad to learn that, they can't get pass the early parts, the 3 houses you have to craft for killed the game for him and his wife.

Weird that some people who use to like Animal Crossing can't get into this one but new people fall deep into it.

Gorki247

Giantbomb Jeff hates this Animal Crossing, sad to learn that, they can't get pass the early parts, the 3 houses you have to craft for killed the game for him and his wife.

Weird that some people who use to like Animal Crossing can't get into this one but new people fall deep into it.

I'd seen people complain about the 3 houses in previews, so was prepared for the worst, but didn't find it much of an issue at all.

Top Bottom